Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: TH Product Suggestions - Rants Welcome - BMRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TH Product Suggestions - Rants Welcome - BMRC

cool beans! so how does it look with the extra width up front? I have been thinking maybe your lower link +1 would be a great combination for this if the width is a lot. also what is the difference between the exo front and TW?
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
Nothing at all unusual about a wider front track width. I know it's an angle you dont usually see but any modern desert race car is substantially wider at front for many of the same reasons we are thinking - travel and relaxed driveline angles. A n early Porsche is another example; those are like a foot + wider at the front! (just an example, little in common I realize)
i like what your saying but the most built desert race rigs out there are about 4-5 inches wider per side in the front, so wanting to keep that scale at 1:10 scale would be about 4-5mm per side, wich im pretty shure that the exo front arms would make the front end still larger then a "scale" look,

but like stated, 1.9s will have a hell of a time fitting on the front of the exo, thats why they have lame short course wheels,, 2.2s most the ime need vp hubs, or to be sanded down to make work, dont see how 1.9 wheels could possibly work,,

this is turning more into a lets see if i can make a hack together kit that people will waste money on so i can make the money type kit,, no actual fix just waste of time and money,, make a little rig be wider in the front then it is long,, i know then your fix is going to be your 1 inch longer kit for the rear,

still think the twin hammers is a keep stockish and deal with it, or thro it in the trash and buy something else type rig..
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post
i like what your saying but the most built desert race rigs out there are about 4-5 inches wider per side in the front, so wanting to keep that scale at 1:10 scale would be about 4-5mm per side, wich im pretty shure that the exo front arms would make the front end still larger then a "scale" look,
Uh, 4-5in is more like 10-12mm. Not so far off.

But do get what you're saying, though still tempted... Wider in the front, add the 1" longer rear... 2.2s... Might yet be less work than a Wrexo?
donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donuts View Post
Uh, 4-5in is more like 10-12mm. Not so far off.

But do get what you're saying, though still tempted... Wider in the front, add the 1" longer rear... 2.2s... Might yet be less work than a Wrexo?

sorry smoked one 2 many today bad math,, but your right with how you just said it it gives people a different option for a 2.2 ifs rig,,

but do you really think the cage/body of the rig is the right siz for 2.2s and all that change in the suspension? +1inch rear, +we will say +1 in the front width??

i think that will make the cage look even smaller and less scale then it does now,, to have something like this why not just buy a buggy?
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

Quote:
i think that will make the cage look even smaller and less scale then it does now,, to have something like this why not just buy a buggy?
Guess I'm more interested in versatility and function than scale per se, though scale is cool by me, too. But is there a buggy with IFS and four-link rear? If not, back to square one...
donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monkey RC View Post
update:

the bell crank steering conversion plate for the stock cantilever shock setup is complete. it uses parts from the 2wd slash and requires you to switch to an aluminum servo horn. we just need to test it and take some pictures.

the TH - EXO front diff conversion is about 70% complete. the lower plate is done and i'm currently tweaking the shock mount part of the upper adapter plate.

as expected, no progress on vaterra differential upgrades.

Wraith - EXO front IFS conversion is about 40%.
I am in for a bell crank steering conversion with the upright shock mount. I will glady purchase and test this setup with my current Twinner. BMRC I really appreciate the support on the TH. I currently already run BMRC upper links and lower links and upright shock mount.
waterboij23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

but like stated, 1.9s will have a hell of a time fitting on the front of the exo, thats why they have lame short course wheels,, 2.2s most the ime need vp hubs, or to be sanded down to make work, dont see how 1.9 wheels could possibly work,,

this is turning more into a lets see if i can make a hack together kit that people will waste money on so i can make the money type kit,, no actual fix just waste of time and money,, make a little rig be wider in the front then it is long,, i know then your fix is going to be your 1 inch longer kit for the rear,

still think the twin hammers is a keep stockish and deal with it, or thro it in the trash and buy something else type rig..
I hear what you are saying pretty much. I am also liking what Codyboy is working on in this thread:
My Twin Hammer up grades.
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donuts View Post
Guess I'm more interested in versatility and function than scale per se,
Me too, I'm not attempting to replicate any specific vehicle, just an UNLIMITED rock racer which could look like a UFO in ten years.
I want performance and durability (with no hacking)
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #49

Stronger maybe a little wider battery tray
Rcreload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:

actually i'm trying to respond to the RC community and make the front of the TH stronger to the best of my ability.

i saw your first comments, thanks. no need to keep repeating crap that doesn't help. if you care to re-read my first post the TH-EXO conversion is quick and easy. that's why we're doing it. we can make upgraded gears, CVDs and such but its not our core business so it will take a very long time to develop these products. sorry that your favorite aftermarket suppliers have chosen not to make parts for the TH but that's not really my fault.

i'm the chief of operations at a machine/fabrication shop with 80 employees. i also own a 4x4 parts business. i'v got (2) kids 4 and 6 with another one on the way and a high maintenance wife. besides the every day stuff i'm simultaneously building a K5 Blazer, Jeep LJ and a tube chassis rock crawler. i could go on and on. i'm very comfortable with money and i can easily drop this shit like its hot . with comments like yours sometimes i wonder why i even bother.

the intent of this thread is to revive the Twin Hammers, not to dig its grave. if you want to spew negativity then i suggest you do it somewhere else, the folks here are too busy trying to help design and build things.

FYI the +1" wheelbase kit was developed for a customer... and sold to everyone else because it does make the twin handle better.
Blue Monkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Well thought out response. Keep up the good work and keep the parts comming!
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
actually i'm trying to respond to the RC community and make the front of the TH stronger to the best of my ability.

i saw your first comments, thanks. no need to keep repeating crap that doesn't help. if you care to re-read my first post the TH-EXO conversion is quick and easy. that's why we're doing it. we can make upgraded gears, CVDs and such but its not our core business so it will take a very long time to develop these products. sorry that your favorite aftermarket suppliers have chosen not to make parts for the TH but that's not really my fault.

i'm the chief of operations at a machine/fabrication shop with 80 employees. i also own a 4x4 parts business. i'v got (2) kids 4 and 6 with another one on the way and a high maintenance wife. besides the every day stuff i'm simultaneously building a K5 Blazer, Jeep LJ and a tube chassis rock crawler. i could go on and on. i'm very comfortable with money and i can easily drop this shit like its hot . with comments like yours sometimes i wonder why i even bother.

the intent of this thread is to revive the Twin Hammers, not to dig its grave. if you want to spew negativity then i suggest you do it somewhere else, the folks here are too busy trying to help design and build things.

FYI the +1" wheelbase kit was developed for a customer... and sold to everyone else because it does make the twin handle better.
Thank you!

The dude is super negative in every thread. Your life sounds crazy, but awesome at the same time...
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #53
Rock Stacker

Thank You BMRC for keeping the TH aftermarket items going strong. I don't own any BMRC products yet.... that will change soon enough!
ntruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

This suggestion is more like the kind of thing hot racing would offer, but how about an aluminum front diff housing? Since it also serves as a shock pivot mount and a mounting point for the upper suspension arms. I had the little ear where the suspension arm bolts to break off mine
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #55

Excellent thread. I got the Stage 1 kit and am very happy with it.
As I haven't broken anything yet on my TH, I vote for the different ratios gear for the tranny.
However, anything to make a normaly batterypack fit without tearing the car up would be nice. ;)
Subscribed!
Treo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

How about some optional front rockers? Some other ratios would be nice to tune the suspension with. A couple plates and some spacers should be pretty easy right?
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

After beating the crap out of my vettera this weekend I can honestly say the only thing I can see a need for is the CVD's for the front. It would also be cool if you offered your shock tower in a longer length so you can run a wider variety of shocks. 80MM is not enough.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

+1 on the cvd. just broke one after 3 months of abuse. If you guys offered a set for about the same price as the stockers Im in even if yours are a little more money.
riskyjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
After beating the crap out of my vettera this weekend I can honestly say the only thing I can see a need for is the CVD's for the front. It would also be cool if you offered your shock tower in a longer length so you can run a wider variety of shocks. 80MM is not enough.
do you mean taller mounting points for using longer shocks?
Blue Monkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
do you mean taller mounting points for using longer shocks?
Yes sorry that probably was not explained correctly. If you could use a 90-100 mm shock it opens up your options to pretty much all the shocks available. With the Derwood's mod, your tower and a spacer I can now use a 90 mm shock.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote

TH Product Suggestions - Rants Welcome - BMRC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craigslist rants and rave demonoid369 Chit Chat 0 07-17-2011 03:12 PM
BMRC BJ Build BlueMonster Tamiya TLT Crawlers 9 03-10-2008 12:06 PM