Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1.5" Project "Slickrock Samurai"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #181
RCC Addict

Default Wheelin' again..!!

A few weeks ago I got together with some friends and we took our trucks to an AWESOME place to drive scalers. ( Skinner Mt. in South Hadley Mass.)

The Sammy had sat dormant mostly all winter so I blew the cobwebs off and out she came to stretch her legs for the first run of the season..!

First large rock outcropping I drove over dumped it on its side and "snap" went the styrene front bumper ( again..) Oh well, I knew it was gonna be a fun day after that..!!

Oh boy - Hang ON..!

up....

....up....

........and over...whew..

It dosen't look like much in the pics above but ALOT of trucks ( including some of my own) have attempted this line and either repeatedly failed because of the wet,slick rock or rolled off the left edge - which totally sucks, and has ended more than one rigs day..!

Doin some serious Flexin'..!!!

All in all, a fun day of wheelin........

OK, took her back home, cleaned up her battle wounds, and installed some new goodies..!! ( also ditched the roof again now that the good wheelin' weather is back..!! )

First up I changed out the wheel and tire combo to pretty much the same setup because it works so well, except this new set of black rc4wd beadlocks has the hex on the backside which meant I could widen the track width by an 1/8th inch, which helps out HUGE being a rig this small.. ( the white wagon wheels had the pin axle mounting setup which always made the sammy look a tad too narrow IMO). I also added a few ounces of weight in the fronts to keep the nose planted to the ground better. I already LOVE this look 100% better than before..!

I also finally broke down and bought one of them there fancy "Rancho" steering stabilizers - seems to work pretty well

Slingin' some dirt..!

Not a whole lot left to do on this project , but still have a few more things planned before we can officially call it "done" - stay tuned
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #182
RCC Addict

One sweet little rig,the new black wheels just sett it off so well.
So ,are you still running the stock MRC running gear,besides the chassis and wheel/tires?
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #183
Quarry Creeper

I'm diggin the new wheels Chris!

hopefully next time out Sammy can run topless
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #184
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up looking good

That looks so good it gives me the motivation to work on my real samurai.
rockwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #185
RCC Addict

Sweet Sami! The new tires and wheels look great on it. Looks like it's a fun little truck!
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #186
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
One sweet little rig,the new black wheels just sett it off so well.
So ,are you still running the stock MRC running gear,besides the chassis and wheel/tires?
Thanks Man ! Yes, still running ALL the stock gear minus the frame/wheels. I've thought about upgrading parts, but the stock stuff seems to work just fine.. ( if it ain't broke- don't fix it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksolo View Post
I'm diggin the new wheels Chris!

hopefully next time out Sammy can run topless
Thanks Wade- Yes ,those wheels are what the Sammy was "missing" in my opinion too And not to worry bud, summers here, and now the tops staying in the shed until the snowflakes fall..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwalker View Post
That looks so good it gives me the motivation to work on my real samurai.
Thanks Man- I wish I had a real 1:1 Sammy to work on..( I WANT one in the WORST way..) I've currently got an 04' Tacoma, 85 solid axle toyota pickup, 87 toyota pickup, and a 1951 Willys Jeep. Still need to find a Sammy though..( wanna sell me yours..??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGGruff View Post
Sweet Sami! The new tires and wheels look great on it. Looks like it's a fun little truck!
Thanks, and YES the sammy is an absolute BLAST to drive/wheel. Being so small it fits thru stuff normal size 1:10th stuff won't yet its big enough where it dosen't look outta place at 1:10 scale GTG's.. All in all, still one of my fav's to this day .
Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #187
I wanna be Dave

It needs sliders

Man, I wish that mountain was closer to me. Looks like an awesome place!
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #188
RCC Addict

I mite have to find one of these suzuki bodys,they look amazing.
Im building a scaler out of my MRC,guna use a cut n shut fastlane(4 door to 2 door) JK wrangler body,but its going to be mighty top heavy,.

I keep going through this thread, i need a jimny.I love it.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #189
LR3
Rock Crawler

I don't know how I missed this one. Awesome Sammy. I have always liked that body style and yours is no exception. Are you going to be hooking up any rear lights?

EDIT: Also agree with n00b on the sliders.
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #190
RCC Addict

Thanks Guys - Yes, I will be eventually adding sliders to this one ( well somebody will, right Rich..?? ). I think I might also fab up some sort of rear bumper/tire rack, so i can finally put some tail lights in as well...

In fact I've got something else possibly "Samurai" themed in the planning stages for an upcoming build..lets just say it will differ quite a bit from this one.., but I guarantee it will be worth the wait...
Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #191
Pebble Pounder

were did you buy that rancho steering stabilizer?? and freeking awesome sami!!
honchoscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #192
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchoscaler View Post
were did you buy that rancho steering stabilizer?? and freeking awesome sami!!

Thanks Dude - I actually bought the stabilizer from one of those mini R/C 4x4 catalogs.. They actually have sections especially for scale Offroad Samurais...

j/k - I made it from scratch..! I always wanted to build one for this truck but had just never gotten around to it.. until a few weeks ago that is..

I'm still waiting on a package in the mail from RPP, and I will then have another update on this rig shortly..
Old 06-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #193
RCC Addict

Finally got more done on the Sammy. I ordered up a set of RC4WD scale black hubs ( which fit this build PERFECTLY ), and also got a "correct" spare wheel and tire for the back. I then removed the driver and passenger windows ( had been wanting to do that for a while now) and also painted the lower rocker panels black ( just like real sammys are).

Then I took it wheelin' again to test it all out, heres a few pics from this afternoon - enjoy.

Damn - there goes more paint from the rear fender...

Chuckin' up a baby rooster tail..!!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #194

Awsome Build, the best Zuk build ive seen yet.
Thecarter999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #195
Rock Crawler

im amazed by this little rig but so curious to see it wit ha set of 1.55 rock stompers idk how well they would fit tho with a size of 4.13 inches
XxRockStar199xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #196
LR3
Rock Crawler

This keeps getting better and better. I am still waiting on the rock sliders and taillights though
Old 07-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #197
RCC Addict

Thanks Guys - Well, It looks like the Slickrock Sammy has a little brother now..

I have always admired "Eddievedders" build "The Last Samurai".. watching all the cool details he put into it, really made me want to build another one..

Then ( long story short) - I eventually asked him if he wanted to sell it , he and I worked out a deal and the sammy I had been admiring for so long was now at my doorstep..

I may try out some new sneakers on it sometime down the road, but for the most part I won't change anything on it, its just too cool.. Thanks again Bob..! Time to wheel..!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #198
RCC Addict

Such a Great Pair! Sure is very inspiring to want to build one.
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #199
0 0

IMO the only thing i would change is narrow the tires
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #200
LR3
Rock Crawler

IMO with the white one is give it the same front grill treatment you did with yours and then it will be perfect Also, is the white one on a CC01 chassis? I can't really tell.

BTW: If you ever want to sell either one of those rigs, send me a PM

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-5-scale-rigs/166762-1-5-project-slickrock-samurai.html
Posted By For Type Date
New Bright Jeep Body This thread Pingback 02-21-2013 11:51 PM
Samurai cabrio scaler su base minilosi NUOVO PREZZO - Pagina 5 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 02-16-2013 03:49 AM