Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Galvanised steel Fj pickup truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

WOW! this build is so good i had to comment again. has to be the best fab skills i have seen on this site....period. and that is saying something with all of the talented builders on this site. bythe way i have a new name for it; instead of TMA how bout TFA(too F***ing awesome!!!) sorry DJ!
slither302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

I too am diggin the shop, it's brilliant!

How did you make the frame rails? I know that you said that you where only using hand tools, but those look really clean.

Again well done.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

this probably doesnt mean mutch coming from me compared to these other guys but that thing is incredible
crawler02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

Nothing much new guys, painted the wooden roof white-i think ill weather it and screw it on as it is.

Also got a can of spray paint, im gonna strip the whole thing soon and build it final with black parts (like the electrics tray).

Quote:
How did you hear about RCCrawler?
I guess it was after searching for bruisers and clod crawlers- back when i thought the mudcow could crawl insane

Quote:
How did you make the frame rails? I know that you said that you where only using hand tools, but those look really clean.
the chassis is outta 5nnx12mm alu, i bent both sides arounnd various things clamped onto my workbench:?, trying to kepe them both even.
I may have some pics of it in progress when i get internet working on my comp.

Quote:
this probably doesnt mean mutch coming from me compared to these other guys but that thing is incredible
Means alot to me nomatter who it comes from

For half decent rust i just dab some black paint on the part then sprinkle it with iron oxide powder (i got red, black and brown) then brush it off and add more layers of paint etc (otherwise the oxide comes off on everything!).

hey and as for the winch... its hooked up to a cheap ESC - works a treat for getting rid of jitter due to my cheap radio, also gives me nice control.
i just wired the esc power in into its receiver plug so that it doesnt need a seperate battery

now i just need a 3 channel radio so i can use it

frac

I spose i better post the whole thing on scale4x4? or can i just give a link to this thread

Last edited by Fracture; 01-09-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Wonderful work!

Seeing builds like this help me remember why I stay away from the scale forums and scale4x4.com... makes me want to spend money and time that I don't have....

will be looking for your name a lot now
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #66
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

i may have missed it, but how exactly are you welding together the galvanised cab panels? isnt that a tricky process or something?
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #67
Powered by Awesome

now this is what a build thread is supposed to look like! Awsome rig and craftmanship!!!
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
i may have missed it, but how exactly are you welding together the galvanised cab panels? isnt that a tricky process or something?
I guess I forgot to mention the most important part
Yeah all the brass, steel and galv on the rig is soldered with LPG gas (Im pretty sure its not brazing). I scuff the galv slightly first and use high silver solder from a jeweler i know. the solder sticks great, its just not all that strong.
My soldering gear:

Thanks for the comments!

frac

Last edited by Fracture; 01-09-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Wow... That thump you heard was my,...um...thingy, hitting the bottom of the desk. Incredible work mate, you certainly have my vote for Newbie of the year. LPG gas, is that propane?
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster View Post
Wow... That thump you heard was my,...um...thingy, hitting the bottom of the desk. Incredible work mate, you certainly have my vote for Newbie of the year. LPG gas, is that propane?
Thanks!
This stuff here is what i use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquified_petroleum_gas
I think its propane and butane - its for running a barbeque off
Old 01-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #71

looks amazing with great detail....that is best weathered scale truck so far. And the compliments your getting proves that! nice job
Indyfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #72
I'm a stupid C U N T!

slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

HOLY SHIZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!! Dood I am obviously a noob too, and am gearing up to start my first scaler. YOU have inspired me greatly and I will look up to your advise and may be buggin for some help with my build if it's ok with you?
I think that you are officially my new hero bro!!!!
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Man, I'm never gonna be able to top that. This thing is gorgeous! Keep up the good work! And, maybe after you finish you should build a FJ45 wagon
Name:  VID_45Wag-big.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  34.1 KB
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #75
RCC Addict

wow man, CAD skills, fab skills and imagination to boot, deady combo

keep up the good work, I think we are all watchin close
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Man, I'm never gonna be able to top that. This thing is gorgeous! Keep up the good work! And, maybe after you finish you should build a FJ45 wagon
Attachment 52921
Wagon eh?
something like this one maybe:-P (not my pic)

That pic makes me wanna build a trailer with a junkyard rig (ready for a restoration) on it to tow behind the fj45

shit that would all weigh a bit then

Ive always wanted to build a landrover defender maybe...

Quote:
HOLY SHIZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!! Dood I am obviously a noob too, and am gearing up to start my first scaler. YOU have inspired me greatly and I will look up to your advise and may be buggin for some help with my build if it's ok with you?
I think that you are officially my new hero bro!!!!
I will help if i can
After all, I did get half of my inspiration from reading this site

ok i spose i should give some updates, excuse the horirble pics -nightime is bs for taking photos imo

now this is the bed side rail as im soldering it:

And this is the final result (flash makes the wood look all red and horrible)

Yes! they can fold down and they are removable, a perfectly functioning flatdeck:

the hinges are pretty tight, i may haveto attach some latches when they get loose.

Now this is butt ugly, and i messed up the motor cutout ( far to high)
but yeah, thats where the front seat will be. Now i just gotta paint it.

The LHS has some tires to.. If i dodnt screw them up i can post some pics of making them (same hybrid tires as are on it currently)
Will be awesome having a spare up against the back of the cab

Thanks for checking it out,

Frac

*axles note*

what do u guys think of the highlift axles? personaly i hate the plastic. It may be shock resistant, but it cracks like F*** if it has a constant strain on it (eg pressed in bearings for the steering knuckle). these are my second housings, i completely shattered the first when i was moding them and experimenting wif a straight axle etc. lesson: dont overtighten or mount stuff to them that will put them under constant pressure,- the plastic wont hold!

now all of this is a bit irrelevant cause my rig weights a hell of a lot more than an average 2.2 comp rig.:?

The way i have the axles setup currently (using only the center section), they seem pretty strong.
However i may get some of those sweet dana60's or whatever theyre called from rc4x4. That would make this rig run damn good as well as looking alright...

excuse my rant at tamiya plastic (oh i had the same problem with wilddagger gearcases) the plastic they use on the suspension arms is much more elastic.

oh yeah... this thing runs dogbones alround (cant afford cvd's)
and the leafsprings are made from a lawnmower pullstart. was an arse bending the eyes, even with heat.

Last edited by Fracture; 01-10-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

Seen your rig, went blind, passed out and shat myself. Now my mom thinks im on drugs. Thanks alot!!! seriously though. You need a trophy or something. That rig is just breathtaking.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

Default *old buildup stuff*

nothing new here

These are just some old pics from during the initial buildup... they may be useful to someone.

The first body

This was made from an alu baking tray - great thickness for almost structural stuff.
It was pretty straightforward transfering the measurements from my plan and cutting it out... then i realised i had no decent way of joining it (the jbweld wasnt working for me:-()

Soldering or brazing is much stronger. This body did serve as a good mockup though.

Oh and my apologies to the ppl with real slow internet

This is where the jbweld di work,- The underside of the flatdeck. I used aluminium as it was light (the deck is still bloody heavy), and easy to work with.

The jb worked alright for holding stuff inplace however it cracks with the slightest flexing. It is currently failing in places. This is largely because i didnt sand the joints beforehand, therefore there wasnt much for it to key onto.

This is the first (yes, ive been through 2) chassis. I considered using channel however the solid stock was far easier to bend. Be very careful when bending a chassis from this stuff as u cant bend it back if u screw up. The aluminium looses all its flexibility and cracks even when slightly straightening a wrong curve.

Plan your holes
-The only reason i made a new chassis was cause this one was full of holes from mounting stuff in the wrong place. Drilling a 3mm hole down through through a 5mm chassis makes it alot weaker.

The Flatdeck frame was soldered out of 5x5mm 'key steel'. this steel had been lightly oiled and was therefore rust free. with some flux it took the solder easily. I prefitted everything then heated it up on some heat resistant board. The joints in the picture have yet to be ground.

Be careful when grinding solder joints, an angle grinder can easily heat the metal to the point where the solder melts. Then u gotta do it all again!

I dunno if this is any use to anyone, but... I might as well try.
Experts:-P, feel free to correct my flawed techniques

frac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
Seen your rig, went blind, passed out and shat myself. Now my mom thinks im on drugs. Thanks alot!!! seriously though. You need a trophy or something. That rig is just breathtaking.
rofl! glad you appreciate it

Might make some rear lights tomorrow

Hey do you guys think i should try make some fender lights/reflectors?
I spose they would add to the scale look.

Help me! Round fender lights, Square fender lights or no fender lights?

Last edited by Fracture; 01-10-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #80
Rock Crawler

You sir, are a true craftsman. My highest reguards!
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote