Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Optional Ratio Gear Sets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabax View Post
Higher gearset ratio = 2.57
Stock gearset ratio = 2.92
Lower gearset ratio = 3.30

I love that manufactures are addressing the ring and pinion options but I personaly would like to see an even lower set maybe with 49 teeth on ring and 11 teeth on pinion. That would give you a 4.45 ratio and you would be able to put a smaller spur gear on the tranny. This would put most of the gear reduction in the axles and eliminate torqe twist. I am not saying that I disagree with Axials decission with what they came out with. Simply stating that I dont think this will be the only option. As with anything in our sport things change all the time. It is only a matter of time..

Thank you Axial for listening to the masses...
I'd just like to add my support for the idea of even lower ratios. In any case I want a set of these new low ratio R&P gears as soon as. Good work Axial.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

On Towerhobbies they are 26.99 but not in stock yet. They have the stock ratio in HD (but they arent helical) for the same price. I think a set of each would be nice so you can test and tune with all combos.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Question: someone mentioned that these will be competition for the new worm gears on the Losi and Kyosho trucks. Does the fact that the teeth are cut at an angle mean that the truck will no longer roll forward like with the regular gear and that you have to use more drag brakes?
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Wait didn't I see a set of stock ratio Helical cut gears the other day from a different manufacturer? Hot Racing or something maybe?
yep hot racing but I would rather get axial hardened parts instead of well maybe its hardened parts
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

i bought your heavy duty gear sets not to long ago, what ratio are they compaired to these..............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i bought your heavy duty gear sets not to long ago, what ratio are they compaired to these..............bob

Higher gearset ratio = 2.57
Stock gearset ratio = 2.92
Lower gearset ratio = 3.30
mockknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

the normal HD gears are the same ratio as stock
Slyp Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #68
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Question: someone mentioned that these will be competition for the new worm gears on the Losi and Kyosho trucks. Does the fact that the teeth are cut at an angle mean that the truck will no longer roll forward like with the regular gear and that you have to use more drag brakes?
NO, these will just have a larger contact patch than the stockers. These really aren't competition against worm gear axles, they are both two completely different animals.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
NO, these will just have a larger contact patch than the stockers. These really aren't competition against worm gear axles, they are both two completely different animals.
yeah ones a Clydesdale and the other is an Elephant.
On a side note. I think what he ment buy competition is that with the capability of haveing an offset ratio that it will make the axial more competative. As Harley stated Helicoil gears just give more contact patch.

Last edited by bigflex; 01-18-2009 at 10:46 PM.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That was from the linked thread near the top. They have the potential to be competition if they make a lower gear set that eliminates torque twist.

The reason the worm gear driven axles have potential to eliminate torque twist is because majority of the gear reduction is happening in the axles, not on the chassis which is a major contributor to torque twist. If the worm gear isn't geared right you'll still see torque twist. Think drilling into metal and it catches...what turns if your drill bit stops and the motor is still trying to move.

That being said there is no reason why axial wouldn't be able to make a gearset that has significantly more gear reduction. 2.92 stock is brutal, 3.30 is an improvement, and something in the 4.0's would be even better.

IF they make a gear set that eliminates torque twist then it will compete with the worm gear axles.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Gotcha, thanks. Funny though, I don't have any torque twist. I have the boomarang rear 4 link with the staggered rod ends and its never been a problem.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Gotcha, thanks. Funny though, I don't have any torque twist. I have the boomarang rear 4 link with the staggered rod ends and its never been a problem.
Yeah I have zero torque twist as well. Link geometry and shock(piston, oil,spring) setup makes a huge difference.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #73
RCC Addict

More options is always really nice, great jobs guys
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #74
DMC
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Wait didn't I see a set of stock ratio Helical cut gears the other day from a different manufacturer? Hot Racing or something maybe?
Yes, 3 Racing also makes them in a HD helical cut version. Once they are set up properly they run very well. I'm just hoping I can convince a buddy to buy two of the low sets so I can swap my rear 3 racing set for a low gear and that way we're both set up.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

This even benfits us WK guys, too. Shweeeeeet.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
That being said there is no reason why axial wouldn't be able to make a gearset that has significantly more gear reduction. 2.92 stock is brutal, 3.30 is an improvement, and something in the 4.0's would be even better.

IF they make a gear set that eliminates torque twist then it will compete with the worm gear axles.
If there is enough of a ratio/weight difference to cause "twist," then it is going to be felt in the rig, no matter if that ratio is created at the chassis or at the axle. One end of the DS or the other really makes no difference.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #77
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Hate to be a buzzkill, but the difference between the stock gear to the lower gear is only about 14% difference. You'll be able to go up about 3 or 4 teeth on the pinion or down 10-11 teeth on the spur to keep the same overall gear ratio. I wish it were a bigger change, but if Axial's intention of these gearsets is to do some subtle over/underdrive gearing, then they'll do well. I'm glad the option is out there.

I'm sure alot of people would prefer a much lower gear ratio, but I think there is physical limitations to the ring/pinion gear setup. Only so many gear combinations wil work/ physically fit inside of case/ ensure proper gear mesh, etc.

Maybe some intuitive designer will come out with a worm gear conversion.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
If there is enough of a ratio/weight difference to cause "twist," then it is going to be felt in the rig, no matter if that ratio is created at the chassis or at the axle. One end of the DS or the other really makes no difference.
There is a huge difference that many don't understand. There are things you can do like run full droop, full sprung with a preloaded spring, thicker oil, limit straps which hide torque twist but it's still there. It's explained in this thread Why no r&P gearing options from vendors? and just so it's not my own words I did some quick searching and found this explanation from fourwheeler.com

Quote:
It is basic physics. for every action there is a equal reaction (Newtons Law) If you put down say a total 3000 ft lbs of drive shaft torque, there is a equal opposite reaction in engine and tranny/Tcase against it. Your tall gears aggravate this because higher torque loads are required to get the amount of ground tractive effort needed verse with deeper axle gears. Second, there is two torque reactions in rear axle. The first of these is spring wrap up which counters wheel torque which is kinda easy to see some times. The second reaction that is often ignored or over looked is from drive shaft torque itself. If you put say 2000 ft lbs into rear axle pinion, the housing will counter react to it and that 2000 ft lbs will make the right rear tire about 600 lbs lighter at ground and the left rear heavier as it reacts to this torque. There is not escaping this only using deeper axle gear minimizes this because less drive shaft torque is needed for same ground tractive effort so there is less twist of this type. This is why right rear always spins first on a rear axle under good traction with high power input in forward motion and left rear first in reverse. (not because it is one wheel drive as some tend to call it) This is also why with posi or spools on a burn out that vehicle rear tends to wander to left because as right rear gets lighter and left rear gets heavier the increased traction on left rear case vehicle to fishtail that direction. With much deeper gear you will not only pull better but you will have better abilty to guide it because of less chassis and axle twist to get same force down to ground. Many never bother to take the time to consider this and go for deeper trannies and Tcases with tall axles. Your axles are your strongest reduction units too and use them to their full capacity in this regard too for this sport.
There are a ton of things that transfer directly from the 1:1 world to rc's. You may have noobs to rc's but a lot of them understand a lot more than veteran "rc"ers from 1:1 crawling/engineering. It's the electronic crap that confuses most of us :-P

Last edited by miller; 01-19-2009 at 10:22 PM.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #79
The Wheels Keep Turning

Hey guys. You can pre-order these gears from us now. $22.99/set

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Pre-Order...2-p-17254.html

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Pre-Order...1-p-17253.html

Good job Axial!
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #80
Rock Crawler

Any idea on release date?
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote