Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Optional Ratio Gear Sets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 AM   #121
Pebble Pounder

Are there any disadvantages to using a different ratio between the front and rear axles that has been noticed yet? I know I read that several guys have been doing it with great success. But it hasn't been very long yet. I'm curious as to what kind of stress that puts on the driveline as well as tire wear and tear. Do you see this being a problem with a stock Axial Scorpion? Perhaps on some of your crawlers this isn't a big issue due to the upgraded parts you're using that might be able to handle the stress more-so than the stock Axial parts, aka the transmission and driveshafts. This is also assuming that the ring and pinion themselves are built tough enough to handle the stress, which I guess after only a month or so is going to be hard to tell, but have any of you that are using different ratios from front to back taken your axles apart after the initial install to inspect the ring and pinion gears or the lockers? Also if the tires are either spinning excessively or being dragged in comparison to the other axle (because two out of the four tires are going to have to give either way) has there been a noticeable difference in tire wear for you guys yet? Thanks for the heads up, I'd definitely love to hear some first hand input on these concerns of mine.
Thorne_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #122
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne_Dog View Post
Are there any disadvantages to using a different ratio between the front and rear axles that has been noticed yet? I know I read that several guys have been doing it with great success. But it hasn't been very long yet. I'm curious as to what kind of stress that puts on the driveline as well as tire wear and tear. Do you see this being a problem with a stock Axial Scorpion? Perhaps on some of your crawlers this isn't a big issue due to the upgraded parts you're using that might be able to handle the stress more-so than the stock Axial parts, aka the transmission and driveshafts. This is also assuming that the ring and pinion themselves are built tough enough to handle the stress, which I guess after only a month or so is going to be hard to tell, but have any of you that are using different ratios from front to back taken your axles apart after the initial install to inspect the ring and pinion gears or the lockers? Also if the tires are either spinning excessively or being dragged in comparison to the other axle (because two out of the four tires are going to have to give either way) has there been a noticeable difference in tire wear for you guys yet? Thanks for the heads up, I'd definitely love to hear some first hand input on these concerns of mine.
I've been driving my rig quite a bit with different ratios front to rear without any issues at all. The ring and pinions are hardened steel and show zero wear. I even ran the high speed gear set out front and under drive out back for a while without any noticeable wear and tear on parts. The Axial tranny is plenty stout as well, so that shouldn't be an issue. I haven't noticed any excess wear on the tires either. I honestly don't see a single disadvantage to running a slightly different ratio front to rear. With the high speed gears out front, or the under drive gears in the rear, it keeps the front tires spinning a hair faster. So, you get almost the same affect as a Berg axled rig without the annoying axle stall they suffer from. ;)
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #123

Nice I'll be trying these in the future!!! Good job axial.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I honestly don't see a single disadvantage to running a slightly different ratio front to rear. With the high speed gears out front, or the under drive gears in the rear, it keeps the front tires spinning a hair faster. So, you get almost the same affect as a Berg axled rig without the annoying axle stall they suffer from. ;)
Bender, I'm sure you've driven your share of MOA vehicles.

My thought is that on my MOA truck the Stall is only at low throttle, so when I blip hard it "fixes" the stall. I ended up running differing pinions to do exactly what you mention.

The dual ratios would never equalize out in the Axial, which to me seems like a benefit and why I geared my MOA the way it is.

I can't wait to get these in for my scaler.

Also YGPM, I'm having issues with my SCX-10 axles...just need a quick answer.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #125
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Bender, I'm sure you've driven your share of MOA vehicles.

My thought is that on my MOA truck the Stall is only at low throttle, so when I blip hard it "fixes" the stall. I ended up running differing pinions to do exactly what you mention.
I hear what your saying. But, when you are trying to clear a tight technical set of gates at extremely low speed, gassing a Berg to get rid of stall would probably cause you to clip a gate. I've seen this happen a few times with guys running 3 channel radios on their Bergs.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #126
Rock Crawler

Is their a release date yet?
MDcrawler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #127
Rock Crawler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcrawler72 View Post
Is their a release date yet?
X2 on that.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmech View Post
X2 on that.
and 3

dyin here waiting for these!!!
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 AM   #129
Rock Crawler

We ordered 3 sets of each from our 2 local stores,no word on the date yet.:-(
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 AM   #130
Pebble Pounder

I think distributors should be getting them either this week or next, so not much longer for your LHS to have them if they were backordered for you...
Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #131
RCC Addict

I want to gear down with the new lower gears. Can the 14t pinion be used with the 43 ring gear? I was thinking of using the 14/43 front and 13/43 rear. What do you think? Matt
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #132
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
I want to gear down with the new lower gears. Can the 14t pinion be used with the 43 ring gear? I was thinking of using the 14/43 front and 13/43 rear. What do you think? Matt
I think you'll never notice the gear ratio difference between one tooth on the pinion gear to be honest. That's probably too small of a change to really be able to recognize. I'm guessing the marginal difference in the size of the 14t vs. the 13t won't matter enough to make it not work with the 43t ring gear though, I would assume they would mesh properly, perhaps slightly tighter but I don't think it would be enough to make it bind. I could be wrong, perhaps someone has already tried it and will chime in with first hand experience.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #133
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
Unfortunately they are matched gear sets. The profile of the gears changes with the different ratios. We don't recommend mixing them as the gears are spiral cut and will not mesh properly.

Thanks,
Axial
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #134
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial View Post
Unfortunately they are matched gear sets. The profile of the gears changes with the different ratios. We don't recommend mixing them as the gears are spiral cut and will not mesh properly.

Thanks,
Axial
Thanks thats what I thought. Are you guy's comming down To San Diego again for a Comp? Matt
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #135
Rock Crawler

I'm running a Novak Goat 18.5 system which already has decent wheel speed...

should i run the lower ratio in rear or
higher ratio in the front?

i have minimal to no torque twist already....what do you recommend?
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #136

My local shop in canada said March 12th release so here's crossing my fingers
BC_4RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #137
Quarry Creeper

Axial, is there a release date?
K Riccardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #138
Rock Crawler

Remember that China just celebrated their "NEW YEAR"...i have noticed that alot of R/C parts are out of stock or back ordered..I think that might
be a reason for the short supply!....
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #139
Rock Crawler

Can we get an update on a release date.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #140
I wanna be Dave

I am patiently waiting for the set I ordered form TCS! I hope I will be getting them soon.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote