Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Don's AX based Triple S build with a twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #181
TSK
Shelf queen

Your welcome guys. I just figure it's best to be informed and spread the word so everyone can get these setup in a timely manner.

I don't have pics of my build yet since i haven't really had time to start on it. But RcBro is right. Looks like you still have a proto version. One the production version that I have, the upper link moount portions of the chassis go straight up on the sides and they don't come in towards the trans on the top. It did not come with any spreader bars, but it did come with 2 braces that run length wise between the two "link towers."

If I have time I'll try to at least take some pics of the included pieces and a nice side shot of the chassis plates so you can see the difference.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #182
Quarry Creeper

hmmm, no mention when I bought it that it was not the production version...

sent DNA an email...

edit---

DNA is awesome. already got a reply, and they'll send new chassis plates!

Last edited by HBRC; 06-05-2009 at 05:04 PM.
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #183
TSK
Shelf queen

As promised, some pics of the kit and the revised side plate design with braces.

What's included in the kit. Minus the revo rod ends:

The new side plate:

New side plate with the chassis brace:
Old 06-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #184
Quarry Creeper

So these are in production now or still in proto testing stage?
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #185
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDB1 View Post
So these are in production now or still in proto testing stage?
Well after what I've heard from both Don @ DNA and Robbie @RCHQ, via email, these are the production version.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #186
Quarry Creeper

I got mine from RCHQ, and got a preproduction version. If you order from them, call and verify what you're getting...

Mine also came with 4 bent links, not 8. DNA is taking care of me though, so I'm happy. (still not clear on how many, or which were intended to be included. I've heard 4 bent links come with it, for uppers, but no lowers...preproduction chassis isn't supposed to be for sale, but RCHQ has them pictured, and shipping...) I used the bent links for lowers, as they fit the profile of the chassis perfect. I don't wanna bend my own delrin links, or use straight links and have them below the chassis. the included links got me at exactly 12.5, with my custom top links.

and by the way, I ran mine yesterday for the first time, and it does extremely well! It's not too different than my typical droop for driving style, but does have some 'unique' characteristics. Oh, and the eritex dig fits awesome, and keeps it super light. I gotta take a bit of weight out of my front wheels and see how light i can go and keep the droop effective.
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #187
I wanna be Dave

Update...here's a few pics from this evening. That's right...it's 11PM on a Sunday night and I'm still at it to make sure new stuff is coming your way

This revision is finally addressing all of the issues I felt needed to be addressed to make this thing as good as it can be. Here's a list of what changed.
  • New upper braces keep the axles from folding under the truck on falls preventing the snapping issue
  • Side plates have been beefed up around the lower link hole to further prevent breakage
  • Upper link mounting location has changed to move the chassis sides out of the gear area
  • More upper link mounting holes (which were very needed to aid in adjusting geometry depending on how heavy you run your rig and where you COG falls)
  • New chassis design/upper braces remove the need for a stiffener between the plates allowing more/smoother articulation (still optional to help cut articulation down if desired). This makes it so the lower links/torsion rods can attach a little further out on the axles without losing necessary articulation thus eliminating axle sway
  • GC with Rovers is set at a hair over 2-5/8" with NWT reach up front and squat out back
On to the pics
Attached Images

billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #188
Rock Crawler

Default WoW

That is one sick looking roller you've got there!!!! To bad it's gonna get all scratched up:-( Nice pics too.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #189
I wanna be Dave

good color combo!;) I thought it was gonna sit closer to 3" GC with tall tires?
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #190
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
good color combo!;) I thought it was gonna sit closer to 3" GC with tall tires?
Thanks guy, no on the GC. Testing showed that the added height made the geometry not work correctly. I actually brought the height back down a little from the last revision of the chassis to fix some of the geometry loss. Keep in mind I'm running short foams in the rear so I'm losing an extra 1/8" or so there.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #191
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
Thanks guy, no on the GC. Testing showed that the added height made the geometry not work correctly. I actually brought the height back down a little from the last revision of the chassis to fix some of the geometry loss. Keep in mind I'm running short foams in the rear so I'm losing an extra 1/8" or so there.
gotcha. I guess it wouldn't be that bad. I am just so used to running my CFX at 3" GC with panthers. Just have to change my driving a little. No big deal.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #192
Holmes Hobbies

Looks great Bro,sounds like you been doing alot of testing
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #193
MODERATOR™

That looks great Don.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #194
RcBros Hobbies

Wow that red is sick! Wish I had that lol
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #195
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys...and btw...this bad boy has now been RELEASED! I'll post a vid this evening.

Available in our store and heading to other dealers/distributors this week and from now on
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #196
I wanna be Dave

Here's a short vid, still working on pulling together more vids from the vid files taken recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTMCPXlRCdM
Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #197
I wanna be Dave

Nice! Looking forward to getting one put together.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #198
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
Nice! Looking forward to getting one put together.
X2, I cant wait to build one of these!
atekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #199
Quarry Creeper

Default Link position

Don, I noticed that the link mounting points have moved around a bit during development of this chassis. I'm trying to finish mine up, it's the "production" version it seems although I got it before it was released officially. The lower torsion arms were mounted completely inboard of the Axial axle mount in the last iteration of the prototype but I see the production release images have the torsion arm back inside the axle mount. Which set-up is a good place to start?
Also, the top links at the front axle were on top of the axle link/battery/servo plate (good for BTA steering clearance) but the latest glamor shots have them underneath. Is that the currently preferred set-up or can they still mount up top? Top mounted puts the ball-links in bind on any of the lower mounting points at the chassis and would get worse as the suspension compresses, so that's a reason to move them under the plate, space for the drag-link gets pretty tight though. Any suggestions?
kineteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #200
I wanna be Dave

This new version was designed to work best with the torsion rods back between the link mounts on the axle instead of inboard. The vid uses that same setup. You still have plenty of flex but less axle sway with it now.

Without lowering the servo mount (by modding the axle case - cut the risers flush with the top of the pumpkin) I like it setup under the plates. Drag link is tight but if you run your bolts up from the bottom there is no clearance issue if you use a long servo horn. If you decide to run them on top you can just space them up slightly or use the bend in the links to get you over the mount.