Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Don's AX based Triple S build with a twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #121
RCC Addict

very excited to see how this turns out, with the final revision. Paypal ready when the trip S is ready.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #122
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
very excited to see how this turns out, with the final revision. Paypal ready when the trip S is ready.
ditto to that
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Update time...I got the new high ground clearance side plates along with the new production SSS BTA steering servo/upper link mounts installed. I've had to stop the diet till after tomorrow's comp as I want to get some better vids of this thing in action and am running out of time. I'll work more on the diet over the next week or two and think I can get under the 4 lbs mark with a bit of weight added in the front wheels

On to some pics...more will follow over the weekend for sure

Thanks for posting up guys and please bear with me as we get this thing dialed and ready for production! I like having all of your input in the new designs I'm working on and have a lot more following this project!

Don
Attached Images

billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #124
TSK
Shelf queen

I'd do without the whte delrin.... and perhaps modify the side plates so that a spreader won't be necessary? Still can't wait to see a sub 4 lb crawler.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #125
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I'd do without the whte delrin.... and perhaps modify the side plates so that a spreader won't be necessary? Still can't wait to see a sub 4 lb crawler.
Well, if he doesn't want a white one...I'll take it
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #126
Quarry Creeper

I like the higher clearance and the white. What is the belly clearance at now and when can I get one of these?

Last edited by P1choco; 04-24-2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: oops
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #127
RCC Addict

My 2 cents.... I won't ask when I can get one because I want you to take your time and make it right, before we all get our grubby little hands on them, but I will say this.... I would love to see a more clear or straigh on shot of the side profile... it looks like the plates or rods whatever you wanna call them are still a little lower then the actual lower links.... Maybe it's just the camera angle? But wouldn't it be better to rub down a rock on the link and not the rod And I would also prefer the black delrin but would rather keep the spreader bar as it helps add a lot more rigidity for only a little more weight plus gives another spot to mount/tie wires and stuff! And finally I really like the BTA/4link/batt mount on the front... looks slick! I can't wait for more pics! I hope the BTA plate comes out the same time... I may just get that one instead of making my own! Keep up the great work don it's looking good!
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 AM   #128
I wanna be Dave

P1: I'm sittin right at 2.75" of belly clearance with the current setup. With Rovers I should be closer to 3". The COG is still so low you can sit it on the side of it's wheels and lean it over a good 12-15 degrees and it will fall back to it's side...not the lid

PD: The point where you would be most likely to break if you slammed it into something it protected by the lower links. That being said, I intentionally have the torsion rods flush with the lower links for the most part. The delrin has awesome wear characteristics and one thing you will notice when you drive it the way I have designed it...it slides over everything I've had a good 100+ packs through my first proto and I am most likely going to bolt those plates/skid on to another rig as they still have a ton of life in them...and trust me, I have been bashing the tar out of this thing As for the white delrin, we will most likely offer it in both colors. We cut these revised sides from white simply because that is what we had in stock. We could cut them from white and get more testing in, or wait a week or two for more black to come in

We have incorporated some changes already into the production file including moving the body post/upper link holes off the spur. Regardless, I am keeping the front spreader as I have found it makes a difference in performance running with it vs without. The BTA mount will be released the same time and WILL be included in the SSS kit along with the matching delrin rear upper link mount. I just finished getting this rig all tweaked in so I can do some test/tune/vids at our local comp here in a few short hours Once I do some tuning to maximize out of the box performance, and get some feedback from the great builders who managed to get their hands on some pre-pro units, we will pull together our hardware/spacer list and get stuff ordered to start kitting that stuff. Watch for lots of action pics and some killer vids after the comp tomorrow

Thanks guys!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #129
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
P1: I'm sittin right at 2.75" of belly clearance with the current setup. With Rovers I should be closer to 3". The COG is still so low you can sit it on the side of it's wheels and lean it over a good 12-15 degrees and it will fall back to it's side...not the lid

PD: The point where you would be most likely to break if you slammed it into something it protected by the lower links. That being said, I intentionally have the torsion rods flush with the lower links for the most part. The delrin has awesome wear characteristics and one thing you will notice when you drive it the way I have designed it...it slides over everything I've had a good 100+ packs through my first proto and I am most likely going to bolt those plates/skid on to another rig as they still have a ton of life in them...and trust me, I have been bashing the tar out of this thing As for the white delrin, we will most likely offer it in both colors. We cut these revised sides from white simply because that is what we had in stock. We could cut them from white and get more testing in, or wait a week or two for more black to come in

We have incorporated some changes already into the production file including moving the body post/upper link holes off the spur. Regardless, I am keeping the front spreader as I have found it makes a difference in performance running with it vs without. The BTA mount will be released the same time and WILL be included in the SSS kit along with the matching delrin rear upper link mount. I just finished getting this rig all tweaked in so I can do some test/tune/vids at our local comp here in a few short hours Once I do some tuning to maximize out of the box performance, and get some feedback from the great builders who managed to get their hands on some pre-pro units, we will pull together our hardware/spacer list and get stuff ordered to start kitting that stuff. Watch for lots of action pics and some killer vids after the comp tomorrow

Thanks guys!

I like the feel of mine and as far as stuff to fix you guys addressed my only issue nd that was the pinion/spur clearance sol. is sending me the revised sides and a slingshot skid I want to try some tuning options also have some delrin rod coming in the try some different link optons
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #130
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
My 2 cents.... I won't ask when I can get one because I want you to take your time and make it right, before we all get our grubby little hands on them, but I will say this.... I would love to see a more clear or straigh on shot of the side profile... it looks like the plates or rods whatever you wanna call them are still a little lower then the actual lower links.... Maybe it's just the camera angle? But wouldn't it be better to rub down a rock on the link and not the rod And I would also prefer the black delrin but would rather keep the spreader bar as it helps add a lot more rigidity for only a little more weight plus gives another spot to mount/tie wires and stuff! And finally I really like the BTA/4link/batt mount on the front... looks slick! I can't wait for more pics! I hope the BTA plate comes out the same time... I may just get that one instead of making my own! Keep up the great work don it's looking good!
What I meant by no spreader was in not having to have the post having to pre=load the chassis in order to clear the spur. I don't mind tha sdditional bracing, but moving it forward a tad to clear would be better than preloading the chassis IMO.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #131
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
What I meant by no spreader was in not having to have the post having to pre=load the chassis in order to clear the spur. I don't mind tha sdditional bracing, but moving it forward a tad to clear would be better than preloading the chassis IMO.
Ya I agree I wouldn't wanna run a bar to spread the chassis for clearance on the spur but an cross bar is nice for strength! You meant move the trans back right? Forward would put it more into the chassis!

Don sounds good thanks for addressing my concerns and I am really pumped to get my hands on one when they get released. Can't wait to see those vids!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #132
Quarry Creeper

That's some pretty good clearance while still maintaining excellent sidehilling capability. Are you going to narrow some rovers or run them full width?
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #133
Keep it real

Looking at my chassis this morning, I noticed that there is very little wear on the chassis arms that extend to the axles, and I drive on rock that is like sandpaper and wears out tires fast.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #134
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Ya I agree I wouldn't wanna run a bar to spread the chassis for clearance on the spur but an cross bar is nice for strength! You meant move the trans back right? Forward would put it more into the chassis!

Don sounds good thanks for addressing my concerns and I am really pumped to get my hands on one when they get released. Can't wait to see those vids!

nah I wouldn't move the trans front or back at all. I meant moving the cross brace just a 1/4 or 1/2" horward on the front end and equally so towards the rear on the back end. Everything the same, but just move the braces farther away from eachother. This under the assumption that one woud probably run two braces, one front, one rear.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #135
RCC Addict

Ah cool ya that would work!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #136
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys, I'm taking notes of all the comments

Here's a vid from today's strength test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwaFwqYtscQ

Here's a vid from a course run today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3TvaZIzhmw Keep in mind I finished wiring this thing up and installed the new parts last night/early this morning and had no time to tweak at all...and Greg got the job of driving the truck for vids without tweaking first.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #137
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
Thanks guys, I'm taking notes of all the comments

Here's a vid from today's strength test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwaFwqYtscQ

Here's a vid from a course run today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3TvaZIzhmw Keep in mind I finished wiring this thing up and installed the new parts last night/early this morning and had no time to tweak at all...and Greg got the job of driving the truck for vids without tweaking first.
videos are nice cant wait to get some and get back on the rocks:-(
Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #138
RCC Addict

Oh man me too! It's been a long winter with no crawling! My 1:1 build is so close to being done and now I can't wait to get this thing and hit the rocks with both trucks!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #139
RCC Addict

Nice Run on Course 2

The White Delrin looks Kewl!
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #140
RCC Addict

Don is the white delrin products diable?