Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Don's AX based Triple S build with a twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #161
RCC Addict

He said that the plate in those pics is an older one that he had to CUT to work.

But the NEW plate is made to work without any cutting.
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #162

I read that. I guess I didn't know if...

new meant it isn't out yet or

new, what the current kits should come with.

I just bought the kit Saturday, to me that's new.

Last edited by Timmah; 05-12-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: clarity...
Timmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #163
I wanna be Dave

Don you have designed one nice chassis yet again. These look like they are very tunable unlike most torsion style chassis'. I love my CFX but it might be getting pulled for one of these.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #164
Quarry Creeper

Default just got mine!

Don, I just got a kit (through RCHQ, they are unbelievable BTW... airmailed the kit at their cost when a communication SNAFU delayed the initial order...something else!)... I stopped working immediately to start checking it out. So here's the dumb question, I've checked all the proto build threads & I'm just not seeing where the two tie-rod looking flat Delrin links go. Maybe when I get it home and start putting it together, instead of taking the wife out, it'll be obvious, but in case it's not, can you give me a hint. ...or if someone else can point out where I'm missing them in one of the build threads....

Thanks to DNA & RCHQ it's gonna be a good weekend in spite of the projected rain....

P.S. this'll be getting an Eritex dig, though I've got my eye on the new VP unit too!

Edit... they appear to fit right across the motor bay opening between the link mount towers. To stop spreading when the dig's engaged maybe?

Last edited by kineteks; 05-29-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: might have figured it out....
kineteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #165
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineteks View Post
{

Edit... they appear to fit right across the motor bay opening between the link mount towers. To stop spreading when the dig's engaged maybe?
I think it's to brace the chassis front to rear since it seems a cuple of the proto chassis borke at the skid plate bolt.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #166
Rock Crawler

So this chassis is out?
atekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #167
I wanna be Dave

SK is correct, it is an added brace for those who need it to be extra tough. I have yet to receive mine tho so I don't have any pics to post up.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #168
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atekt View Post
So this chassis is out?
Check www.shoprchq.com
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #169
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
I have yet to receive mine tho so I don't have any pics to post up.
Well hurry up!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #170
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Well hurry up!
haha, hurrying.

That being said, I did run it at our local comp today (well me and a novice buddy). I ran my first course clean and the second with one reverse...ran out of time (was driving with a brand new radio not setup till early this AM and at the comp) on my third course and then novice buddy took it through course DNA for some strength testing

The locals can confirm, this thing handles everything great and had NO problem keeping up with the Bergs out there today...all with the disadvantage of my sucky driving skills no less!

Last edited by billet works; 05-30-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #171
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
haha, hurrying.

That being said, I did run it at our local comp today (well me and a novice buddy). I ran my first course clean and the second with one reverse...ran out of time (was driving with a brand new radio not setup till early this AM and at the comp) on my third course and then novice buddy took it through course DNA for some strength testing

The locals can confirm, this thing handles everything great and had NO problem keeping up with the Bergs out there today...all with the disadvantage of my sucky driving skills no less!
Man I gotta get my hands on one of these. For the axial and the LMRC.
Sounds Like they will be great for my driving style.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 PM   #172
AKA 2G's

Looked great Don, I give it . I was very impressed with it.
86jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #173
I wanna be Dave

Here's some pics Whoodie took for me out there this past weekend
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #174
Rock Crawler

Killer pics! I cant wait to get that chassis and black snipers! When will the chassis be sent to Distributors?
atekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #175
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post

[QUOTE= When will the chassis be sent to Distributors?[/QUOTE]

From a earlier post^ I had the pleasure of see one of these in action this past weekend.....SICK is all I can say! Will be picking one up!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #176
TSK
Shelf queen

Speaking of which, I got my Triple S in the other day. The bead blasted chassis also included bent upper and lower links (with 4mm setscrews), two chassis braces (not to be confused with chassis spreaders), front and rear four link plates cut from delrin, and the dope curved bottom pre-drilled skid.

The new chassis side plates have a revised upper link section which looks to clear the previous pinion/spur clearance issues the protos had. Looks like spreaders won't be necessary but I may run them to prevent addition tweak. The chassis comes with countersunk bolts to secure the skid and lower links. The chassis did not arrive countersunk for these. I had ss button heads which I will use since countersinking the sideplate will make it more prone to cracking. I will run the chassis brace regardless though.

Although the kit does include the necessary hardware to assembe this thing, no rod ends are included, which I thought was a bummer. So be aware that
YOU WILL NEED TO SUPPLY YOUR OWN LARGE REVO ROD ENDS (16 TOTAL) TO BUILD THE LINKS.

Also you will need to have a good selection of various sized spacers for both the link and torsion rod placement. I ordered that master builders spacer set that RPP sells.

Besides having to have a good set of spacers and enough revo rod ends on hand, this thing looks killer. The DNA crew have put together a phenominal package
Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #177
I wanna be Dave

Don I am looking forward to checking yours out at State. From the sounds of what SK has posted you have taken care of all the little issues. I haven't been this excited about a chassis in a long time. Pics look good by the way.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #178
Pebble Pounder

I ordered everything I need to get one of these put together yesterday. I've been running pretty light and thinking about going lighter for a while. Just wanted to say a couple things.

First; Thanks SK for the heads up on the ball ends

Second I'm planning on making some body mounts similar to what I did with my SWX. I'll put up a thread for it as I build my SSS, but thought I'd mention it here being as you guys are making delrin stuff. Maybe you can build a similar top mount setup. I really like the body posts sticking up where they won't grab the rocks as you go by. Here in western Colorado our courses often have us squeezed in pretty tight and the side body posts get people hung up a lot. Not having the side body posts also makes it much easier to hook a rear tire on a rock to turn better. Could add attachment points to the chassis side plates and replace the brace with a holder for the body mounts. My rear swx body mount has a single screw on each side so it can pivot for different bodies, and the front has 2 screws on each side to keep the body from moving back and forward. Seems like mounting a body is the only puzzle left so if that was made easier more people would probably buy it. Just something to think about.

The body mounts on my SWX are in this thread.

Myst Swx

Last edited by MystRacing; 06-05-2009 at 09:37 AM.
MystRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #179
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post

The new chassis side plates have a revised upper link section which looks to clear the previous pinion/spur clearance issues the protos had. Looks like spreaders won't be necessary but I may run them to prevent addition tweak.

can you post a pic of the chassis/pinion clearance? I put mine together last week, and I'm pretty sure it's the original shape. I had to shave off the top inner hole for the spur to clear, and I still get a tiny bit of chassis rub.

I also didn't get any of the 'chassis spreaders'... I only got 4 bent links, it looks like from your post you got 8? Not a big deal, i've got a ton of delrin rod and made the uppers.

still working on chassis stiffeners/body mounts. I've got an aluminum brace between the rear upper link mounts that goes over the dig servo, and has two body posts on the top. Still gotta make a mount for the front.
Attached Images

HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #180
RcBros Hobbies

Looks to me you don't have the newest version.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote