Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #401
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
My bet is on China first. It would be cool to see Horizon offer brass mods though.
Probably, hopefully Horizon does some brass disk brake rotors mounted to the knuckles like the Ascender.

Quote:
Don’t need much free time with a Protek LiPo. It’ll puff quickly!

In all seriousness, I've seen many puffed Protek batteries in real life. I've read lots of stories online too. I believe it was @Natedog that had similar issues.
My 3600mah 3S ProTeks did, I emailed and followed up with phone call, got some help but not as much as I'd hoped for considering how they'd been cared for and number of runs on them lol.

I'm now trying their 4100mah, we'll see if they are better...hopefully because I love small physical size, high capacity LIHV 3S!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
LOLz - There's a handful of shorty 3S packs on the market - most are around 3000mAh. That's the standout, as far as increased capacity... It's supposed to be better than their slightly smaller capacity pack that has been out for a while... reportedly less likely to puff. But, Gens Ace has one, and Reedy has one, too. Horizon will have their Dynamite 3S shorty out soon, as well.
Yep, and I had 4qty GensAce 3S that were purchased (weren't cheap) for a couple of my go fast brushless trucks and they went out of balance and started puffing quickly, Gens/Tattu offered a discount coupon for future purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Yeah, probably in the XR10 area of width
Thought so and looks like it, I like the narrower and smaller than Bomber/Wraith stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Man, this thing addresses pretty much all of my complaints on the Wraith platform. Can't wait for it to show up!

Parts list so far looks like:
Mamba Micro X
Castle BEC
Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro Stubby 2700kv
Futaba A700 servo (I guess that's one way to find out how tough those c-hubs are!)
RC4WD Compass 4.75" tires
Agreed and can't wait to see your build, soounds like a great list!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #402
RCC Addict

I've always had good luck with SMC batteries. I've been using them for 6 years and have yet to have one puff on me. They just came out with this specific battery not too long ago.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=557

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #403
RCC Addict

Quote:
Horizon posted a different video. A Buying Guide video:

https://youtu.be/xCnTD_wbsTk
My goodness that video was awkward, but did provide a bit of insight. Nice to see the kit assembled with only what's included in the box.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #404
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've always had good luck with SMC batteries. I've been using them for 6 years and have yet to have one puff on me. They just came out with this specific battery not too long ago.

Wow, I could have sworn I just went and checked SMC (where I get my packs as well) for 3S shorty packs a couple days ago and didn't see this!

Nice find, I'd get this over any other pack out there, myself.

(If I end up falling for the Capra, of course... )
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #405

Quote:

SMC was well loved until recently. They've had a lot of puffing lately as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
My goodness that video was awkward, but did provide a bit of insight. Nice to see the kit assembled with only what's included in the box.

You could tell that guy didn't spend much time in front of the camera.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #406

Unhappy Re: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

This battery situation really is unfortunate... I don't even mind the shorty pack size, and I think it was the right choice for this vehicle, but the options are so limited. Most on the market are 2S, when most of us probably want 3S. And a lot of them have the bullet plug style hard cases which judging by the limited pictures we have seen looks like they aren't going to work. At least not without hacking away some plastic on a brand new rig.

I'm not so much upset about it, just frustrated because I want to make sure I have everything I need when my pre-ordered rig shows up at my door. Can't help but to think Dynamite should have got their 3S on the market before the Capra went up for sale. They would have sold a ton of them purely for the convenience of knowing it was made to fit.
StratRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #407
RCC Addict

Quote:
SMC was well loved until recently. They've had a lot of puffing lately as well.

That's a shame. It's been a couple of years since I bought batteries. Any other reputable brand that's recommended that won't break the bank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #408

Quote:
That's a shame. It's been a couple of years since I bought batteries. Any other reputable brand that's recommended that won't break the bank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My go-to brand has been Turnigy from HobbyKing. Zippy makes some good batteries as well.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #409
Gold Star Baby!

Hobbyking has some lower capacity batteries that should fit... couple decent options below...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...lipo-pack.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ck-w-xt60.html

The Helios 3500mah 3s pack is a few mm long but perhaps could dremel the tray to fit.

Quote:
My go-to brand has been Turnigy from HobbyKing. Zippy makes some good batteries as well.
You must have posted this while I was searching, I’ve been having positive experiences with turnigy/hobbyking batteries since trying them out from your suggestion in a thread some time ago. Great prices and no issues so far.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 09-17-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Hobbyking has some lower capacity batteries that should fit... couple decent options below...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...lipo-pack.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ck-w-xt60.html

The Helios 3500mah 3s pack is a few mm long but perhaps could dremel the tray to fit.

You must have posted this while I was searching, I’ve been having positive experiences with turnigy/hobbyking batteries since trying them out from your suggestion in a thread some time ago. Great prices and no issues so far.
Good to hear!
Old 09-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #411
I wanna be Dave

I have half a dozen 2200 3s soft packs for my planes.... They fit in my Twin Hammers easily, Also "shorty only" Plus the small pack only weighs in @ 6 oz.. Provides 1.5-2 hours of running in my scx10II....
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #412
RCC Addict

I don't have a problem with the battery compartment size. You don't need a battery that fills the whole space perfectly, and there are tons of SMALLER batteries that should fit just fine. I've got a few 2200, 1000, and 600mah 3s's that should give an acceptable amount of runtime for the day's needs. I think the most expensive of those was only $16 from Value Hobby. The 2200 gives me about an hour (more if it's just trail cruisin') in my 8lb+ Wraith, so should do much better in a ~5lb Capra, and keeping a backup in my back pocket would be no big deal if more runtime was needed (I rarely burn through more than a 2200 on a single outing due to my limited mobility.) The smaller packs will be reserved for backyard driving and/or competition use where less weight up high would be appreciated more. In my opinion, the con of having to swap out multiple smaller packs is more than offset by the pros of less weight and a lower center of gravity. If you like to cover serious mileage, then I could see the issue, but then again, I'd be looking at different vehicles for that purpose anyway.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #413
I wanna be Dave

No issues with any of the 4 (2 x 3S, 2 x 4S) SMC packs I have, whatsoever.

Reports of puffed batteries are quite often due to mistreatment by uninformed users.

Battery brands are like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments - everyone knows someone who's a diehard fan of one over the others, and someone else who believes that brand is junk.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
No issues with any of the 4 (2 x 3S, 2 x 4S) SMC packs I have, whatsoever.

Reports of puffed batteries are quite often due to mistreatment by uninformed users.

Battery brands are like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments - everyone knows someone who's a diehard fan of one over the others, and someone else who believes that brand is junk.

Yes and no. When something happens often enough to enough people it's often more than preference. I've seen SMC puffing at tracks, I've had it happen to a friend on batteries that were literally only charged two or three times (and SMC wouldn't stand good for them) and they seem to have lost a bunch of fans on RC Tech. Something seems to have changed with the quality of SMC stuff. But, like you said, YMMV.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #415
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I have half a dozen 2200 3s soft packs for my planes.... They fit in my Twin Hammers easily, Also "shorty only" Plus the small pack only weighs in @ 6 oz.. Provides 1.5-2 hours of running in my scx10II....
I run a several 2200 3s packs from Ovonic and Gens Ace and get I similar run times.

Hopefully they slide right into the Capra.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:24 PM   #416
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes and no. When something happens often enough to enough people it's often more than preference. I've seen SMC puffing at tracks, I've had it happen to a friend on batteries that were literally only charged two or three times (and SMC wouldn't stand good for them) and they seem to have lost a bunch of fans on RC Tech. Something seems to have changed with the quality of SMC stuff. But, like you said, YMMV.
I hear ya, man.

Sometimes a company changes the vendor for their cells, and other times they use one vendor for high C-rate packs and another for crawler packs that don't require such a high C-rate.

I will say that I have 2 other packs that are from a relatively unknown vendor that sells through Amazon - GoldBatt. Awesome price - and came with both a Deans and a XT60 connector, and a free velcro battery strap each.

I bought them for my TRX-4 Defender because it will hold really large capacity packs - they are both 6000mAh monstrosities... 55C, one a 3S and one a 4S. I've run the 3S a few times and it works fine - obviously, it's for long trail run days and adds even more weight to the Defender!

I really don't want to buy more batteries.

(heavy sigh)

Ah, Capra...
Old 09-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #417

I would be fine using 2200mah packs but all the ones I'm seeing say the width and height will be fine, but the length is 100mm + when the Capra tray is only 98mm. Gonna be super tight or just straight up not work. Doesn't look there is any material to cut to make the tray wider.
StratRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 PM   #418
Quarry Creeper

Checking in, pre-ordered from RPP baby!

I was gonna pick up a castle micro x and a Holmes 2700 stubby. They’re sold out on RPP, would a 2200 work ok you guys think? I like a little extra wheel speed to get belligerent with the throttle sometimes when hung up. Also I don’t want a snail pace if I wanna trail run with it. Any advice?
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #419
I wanna be Dave

Cant get a 2700 direct from holmes? I did a few months ago.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #420
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Cant get a 2700 direct from holmes? I did a few months ago.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Yeah but my beloved RPP gives 10% off and free shipping. Not to be a cheap bastard but it’s closer to $75 vs $95 anywhere else. :/ I was thinking 2200 might be enough. Realistically nobody has driven one so we can’t really know.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

The unofficial official axial portal buggy. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portal axials on ax10 axial............... bob1961 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-03-2018 04:45 PM
Gmade R1 Rock Buggy Portal Axle any good mudd_slinger General Crawlers 3 12-20-2011 08:25 PM
RC Adventures - Axial Wraith - Unofficial Running Video RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 13 06-08-2011 07:21 AM
official duratrax vendetta buggy and st thread . snowball50 Chit Chat 7 02-10-2007 12:47 AM