Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #1021
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Perhaps it would be easier to start with a simpler 3 channel radio with analog dials.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC4WD-2-4gh...ss!86001!US!-1

I used one from my Marlin Crawler on Project Lo-Do.

Dry easy to set end points.
I chose the 7PX for several reasons, one of which is that I didn't want to have to upgrade, then upgrade again, then upgrade again, and so forth. Additionally, going that route, you are constantly having to relearn. The smarter, and more cost-efficient, method is to select the best you can afford. That way, you not only don't have to learn "new", but, in the long run, you spend less money. I evaluated possibilities from Spektrum, Airtronics, and Futaba...in the long-run, the 7PX was the best option, and will cost me the least.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2019, 10:40 PM   #1022
I wanna be Dave

Try asking in the electronics section. The capra section isn't going g to be the hot spot for 7px radio knowledge.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:49 PM   #1023
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Try asking in the electronics section. The capra section isn't going g to be the hot spot for 7px radio knowledge.
I know, and I did. All anybody would is "set the endpoints". I guess everyone in the electronics threads assumes that everybody knows how to get a servo operational as a switch.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 10-23-2019, 11:30 PM   #1024
I wanna be Dave

Look at it this way, pretty much nobody owns a $600 radio just to play with toy trucks so it's no surprise nobody here knows much about that radio.

I don't run futaba so I'm of no help with real tangible knowledge but it simply cannot be all that hard you just haven't found the simple thing you've been missing so far.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:54 PM   #1025
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Look at it this way, pretty much nobody owns a $600 radio just to play with toy trucks so it's no surprise nobody here knows much about that radio.

I don't run futaba so I'm of no help with real tangible knowledge but it simply cannot be all that hard you just haven't found the simple thing you've been missing so far.
I think I've figured out part of the problem, but won't be able to really find out until Friday. This evening, after getting home, & charging the Tx battery, I was playing around with the settings (as Sneetches suggested), and I started to get "something"...except that, when activating the switch, the servo would turn to the right (until it hit its own internal "endpoint"), but it wouldn't turn to the left when deactivating the switch. Even if I shut the ESC down, and manually rotated the horn to the left, once I turn the ESC back on, and pressed the switch, it would move to the right again...but, again, not the left.

Next, I unplugged it from Ch4, and plugged it into Ch1, as if was the steering servo...and it wouldn't center. Additionally, I could "steer" it to the right, but not the left. I started to think the problem might be the Rx, so I unplugged it from the Capra's Rx, and plugged it into Ch1 on a different vehicle's Rx...and it did the same thing (wouldn't center, would turn right, but wouldn't turn left). So, at this point, I'm thinking the servo, itself, is the real problem, and not my settings. I'll be contacting AMain for an RMA. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, I won't be able to pick up a new servo from the LHS until Friday morning...so, the Capra is, essentially, "dead" until then.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:04 AM   #1026
I wanna be Dave

Meh, zip tie the dig lever in 4x4 mode and get to driving it. My servo came in today and I've had my capra almost 3 weeks now.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #1027
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Meh, zip tie the dig lever in 4x4 mode and get to driving it. My servo came in today and I've had my capra almost 3 weeks now.
Thanks, but, as I've already waited almost 3wks, I don't mind waiting another week. A little "patience" never hurts. Besides, I'm finally close to finishing the interior, so I might as well have everything done right before I really run it (not counting my "indoor testing").

Old 10-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #1028
Quarry Creeper

I know on my DX5C (I know, not the 7PX) I started with the servo at center, set the aux channel to 3 postion, then started to play with the endpoints. Once I get the endpoints set for Dig and Locked, I used the subtrim to figure out the sweet spot for the free wheel section. Like others have said, its gonna take some fiddling.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #1029
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I know on my DX5C (I know, not the 7PX) I started with the servo at center, set the aux channel to 3 postion, then started to play with the endpoints. Once I get the endpoints set for Dig and Locked, I used the subtrim to figure out the sweet spot for the free wheel section. Like others have said, its gonna take some fiddling.
The 'setting endpoints', and "fiddling" is completely understandable...my problem, so far, had just been getting the DIG servo operational via a switch...any switch. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm fairly certain the real problem is the servo, itself - it only goes to the right, and now it won't even center (ie. even brand-new, it was already heading towards DOA status). Will have to wait until Friday to pick up another new servo, and will RMA the current one back to AMain.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #1030
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I did watch the video, and, while it did give me some of the info I'm in need of, it didn't cover the first 1-2 steps after connecting the DID servo to the Rx. But, more importantly, the menus of the 7PX are considerably different than any other Futaba Tx. That's a big part of why I'm running into the problem I am.

The functions are all the same on Futaba. All you do is center the dig servo with sub trim on that channel at zero. Install the arm so the dig arm lines up with the vp logo, that is the center position. Fine tune with channel sub trim. Now set EP, one usually ends up around 30-40 the other opposite. Set them at 20 % and work the front for full engagement. The rear needs to be set when running on a stand, so you get full lock.

Switches need to be set as a 3position @100. You can also use the two position sw for lock/4w.

This isn’t a large chore, but sounds like your servo is bad.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #1031
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I chose the 7PX for several reasons, one of which is that I didn't want to have to upgrade, then upgrade again, then upgrade again, and so forth. Additionally, going that route, you are constantly having to relearn. The smarter, and more cost-efficient, method is to select the best you can afford. That way, you not only don't have to learn "new", but, in the long run, you spend less money. I evaluated possibilities from Spektrum, Airtronics, and Futaba...in the long-run, the 7PX was the best option, and will cost me the least.

Makes sense, unless you can’t figure it out.

I personally think that particular radio it’s beyond overkill, but to each their own.

It’s like shoving a LS7 V8 into a scooter so you never have to worry about having enough power.

I’m a strong believer in K.I.S.S. I’ll still with my GT3C.

Good luck, hope you get it squared away.

Last edited by dezfan; 10-24-2019 at 02:39 PM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #1032
Quarry Creeper

Having the basic understanding of servo and radio setup should have been a good foundation before upgrading to the most elaborate surface radio on the market.....

I can not explain how important it is to understand epa and sub trims for setting up that function on that radio.... have you sent Harley a PM on here? He would probably make a video setting up the dig function on the new 4pm he recently reviewed.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #1033
I wanna be Dave

First, I really wish people would STOP assuming I don't know about setting things like trim, endpoints, etc...this had NOTHING to do with the problem. At this point, while I'm still waiting to hear back from Harley, I'm 95% certain that the problem has/had nothing to do with my settings...yes, I THOUGHT it was the settings, but, if you read my posts since then, you'll realize I've discovered the higher probability that the problem is actually the servo, itself.

Obviously, several people have read my original post on this matter, but it also appears that several of those people have not bothered to read what I have written since. If you only read a person's initial post about a problem, but don't read what they're said since then, you won't know/understand if the problem has been determined to be something else, or, possibly, of the problem had been resolved. Grated, this problem isn't "resolved"...but, it has since been determined that the problem is, quite possibly work the servo.

When someone indicates the servo will turn in one direction, but not the other, that's a fairly strong indicator that the servo is the problem. When someone indicates that the servo will not center (especially when it's reconnected to Ch1, to 'act' as a steering servo), that's another fairly strong indicator. I've mentioned both of these occurring with the servo in question.

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-24-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #1034
Quarry Creeper

I hear that you think the servo is the issue, i am disagreeing and saying I don’t think you have the radio programmed correctly and your current understanding is not as great as you believe it is..... the radio is more complex and I have no experience with it. I could be wrong too.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #1035
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
First, I really wish people would STOP assuming I don't know about setting things like trim, endpoints, etc...this had NOTHING to do with the problem. At this point, while I'm still waiting to hear back from Harley, I'm 95% certain that the problem has/had nothing to do with my settings...yes, I THOUGHT it was the settings, but, if you read my posts since then, you'll realize I've discovered the higher probability that the problem is actually the servo, itself.

Obviously, several people have read my original post on this matter, but it also appears that several of those people have not bothered to read what I have written since. If you only read a person's initial post about a problem, but don't read what they're said since then, you won't know/understand if the problem has been determined to be something else, or, possibly, of the problem had been resolved. Grated, this problem isn't "resolved"...but, it has since been determined that the problem is, quite possibly work the servo.

When someone indicates the servo will turn in one direction, but not the other, that's a fairly strong indicator that the servo is the problem. When someone indicates that the servo will not center (especially when it's reconnected to Ch1, to 'act' as a steering servo), that's another fairly strong indicator. I've mentioned both of these occurring with the servo in question.

Have you had a chance to try another dig servo yet?
(EDIT, saw your comment about swapping servos, post up if that fixes it)

Don't give up on the 7px, it's a little bit daunting at first but it's the best radio on the market, hands down. I'll grab a few pictures of how to set up the dig when I have a radio in front of me tonight.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #1036
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
I hear that you think the servo is the issue, i am disagreeing and saying I don’t think you have the radio programmed correctly and your current understanding is not as great as you believe it is..... the radio is more complex and I have no experience with it. I could be wrong too.
One again, I point to the fact that my last "troubleshooting step" was connecting the servo to a different Rx, in a different vehicle, which is currently using a different Tx...Traxxas TQi, to be exact, but only because I'm in the process of converting the Rustler 4x4, and, until I can install the HW ESC, the Traxxas ESC won't work with the Futaba Rx.

While there is the possibility that "my "lunderstanding might not be as great" as I think it is, it IS far better than you are attempting to believe it is.

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-24-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #1037
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
Have you had a chance to try another dig servo yet?

Don't give up on the 7px, it's a little bit daunting at first but it's the best radio on the market, hands down. I'll grab a few pictures of how to set up the dig when I have a radio in front of me tonight.
I'm certainly not giving up on the 7PX...why would I? I currently have several vehicles set in it, and have never had any problems getting anything to work properly...until this time. Granted, all other vehicles are only 2-channel, but I was slow to get the switches correctly set for operating the LEDs via Ch5 & Ch6.

NOTE TO EVERYONE:
My apologies if it seem like I'm being somewhat combatative towards certain replies...but, in my defense, when a person is asking about 'A', and people keep replying back about 'C', it becomes irritating. It would be similar to someone asking you a question, and you answering it, but they keep asking you using different words, or even the same wording, as if you're going to answer differently.

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-24-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #1038
I wanna be Dave

Ahhh, so you don’t want others options.

Got it. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #1039
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Ahhh, so you don’t want others options.

Got it.
Thank you, but, no. I really like the 7PX. Yes, I realize if had donations/features I'll probably never use (such as "tank mixing"), but I wanted a 7-channel Tx. In comparison my options, the 7PX appeared to be the most reliable, and (in the long run) the least costly. For example, while Airtronics Txs are cheaper, their Rxs can cost twice as much. If I only planned to have 6 vehicles, or less, Airtronics might have been the better option...but, knowing if eventually have at least 10 vehicles, going the Futaba route is the lower priced way to go.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #1040
Quarry Creeper

So...
...anybody taken a Capra for a drive lately? Broken something? Upgraded anything?

punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote

The unofficial official axial portal buggy. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portal axials on ax10 axial............... bob1961 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-03-2018 04:45 PM
Gmade R1 Rock Buggy Portal Axle any good mudd_slinger General Crawlers 3 12-20-2011 08:25 PM
RC Adventures - Axial Wraith - Unofficial Running Video RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 13 06-08-2011 07:21 AM
official duratrax vendetta buggy and st thread . snowball50 Chit Chat 7 02-10-2007 12:47 AM