Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #1061
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

I’ve got this coming in hopefully today:

POWER HD TR-4 Micro Waterproof Metal Gear 2.6kg / 0.10s Diff Lock/High Low Servo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KulaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #1062
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaHI View Post
I’ve got this coming in hopefully today:

POWER HD TR-4 Micro Waterproof Metal Gear 2.6kg / 0.10s Diff Lock/High Low Servo

A bit low in torque (the "recommended" Spektrum SX107 is 41.8oz/in @ 6V, and the Hitec 5070MH (the servo I'm wanting to use) is 42oz/in @ 6V & 52oz/in @ 7.4V), but possibly work considering. Realistically, I'm thinking it should be something equivalent, or slightly stronger, than the "recommended" micro servo. I did look at the Reefs 99 (a free others mentioned ordering this), but, at 89oz/in @ 6V & 99oz/in @ 7.4V, it seems way too strong.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #1063
Pebble Pounder

At neutral my dig slides back and forth with no effort so I’m hoping at $20 a pop it will be an inexpensive HV and waterproof option to the sx107.

KulaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #1064
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
A bit low in torque (the "recommended" Spektrum SX107 is 41.8oz/in @ 6V, and the Hitec 5070MH (the servo I'm wanting to use) is 42oz/in @ 6V & 52oz/in @ 7.4V), but possibly work considering. Realistically, I'm thinking it should be something equivalent, or slightly stronger, than the "recommended" micro servo. I did look at the Reefs 99 (a free others mentioned ordering this), but, at 89oz/in @ 6V & 99oz/in @ 7.4V, it seems way too strong.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
I'm using a Hitec HS65MG which has 31oz/in (@6v) and it's handling duty just fine so far. I have one of the TR-4 servos, but the 65MG is working so well, I haven't swapped it in yet.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #1065
Quarry Creeper

I've had zero problems with my SX107. The programming of the my DX5C took some effort but it's working. I'm not sure that a stronger servo is needed, as long as the linkage and internals operate smoothly.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #1066
I wanna be Dave

The TR-4 is 36oz-in, close enough for the specs not to matter to the Spektrum... and if we have reports of the Hitec HS65MG working, it's really a wash.

Sounds like there are several servo options here - maybe even the TowerPro MG91 would be a good choice - metal gear, digital, 2.6kg torque (6v), double ball bearing, alloy center case.

22.8x12x31mm measurements.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #1067
I wanna be Dave

The DIG servo problem had been resolved. I still can't explain why the Traxxas 2065 worked on Ch1 (steering), but not Ch4 (DIG), but it no longer matters (it will be returned to the LHS later this week.

The replacement Hitec micro servo was delivered yesterday, so, first thing this morning (technically third...making coffee was 1st, getting yesterday's mail was 2nd), I tested the replacement servo...it's functioning 100% spot-on. Have the 'center', and already lowered endpoints to '20'. Now, have to partially disassemble (sorry Johnny-5) the goat, remove the defective servo, install the replacement, and get the endpoints correct before reassembling. Glad this little "hiccup" is over.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #1068
RCC Addict

My TowerPro MG90D has been shifting fine thus far. The only thing I don't like is that I don't have a metal horn so i used one of the included plastic ones, which are pretty small.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:03 PM   #1069
Quarry Creeper

I got the spektrum to setup just fine but I would like to get one with a bit more power, get rid of the servo saver, and put a correct length metal horn on. I will wait til this one burns up but I can see something better on the horizon
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #1070
I wanna be Dave

Replacement installed, 'center' (0) perfectly set, and endpoints (-100 & +100) perfectly set. Center sub-trim set to "-30", -100 set to "40", and +100 set to "35". 3-position DIG performing optimally.

Than you to all those who provided helpful info, and thank you to all those who even attempted to help. Even those who attempted to help still provided bits & pieces of info that, in the end, did help.

It had been an "interesting" journey, and a good learning experience. If, by chance, I cross paths with any of you at some point in the future, I will gladly thank you in-person.

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-30-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #1071
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Replacement installed, 'center' (0) perfectly set, and endpoints (-100 & +100) perfectly set. Center sub-trim set to "-30", -100 set to "40", and +100 set to "35". 3-position DIG performing optimally.

Than you to all those who provided helpful info, and thank you to all those who even attempted to help. Even those who attempted to help still provided bits & pieces of info that, in the end, did help.

It had been an "interesting" journey, and a good learning experience. If, by chance, I cross paths with any of you at some point in the future, I will gladly thank you in-person.

Awesome to hear. You have touched on one of the nice features of that radio. Now get you a clod, bully or xr10 for the dual esc programming, or put a front axle on the rear of that Capra for the 4wheel steering functions
Old 10-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #1072
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
Awesome to hear. You have touched on one of the nice features of that radio. Now get you a clod, bully or xr10 for the dual esc programming, or put a front axle on the rear of that Capra for the 4wheel steering functions
Funny you should mention a 4WS Capra. My kit was missing the two plastic pieces that attach to the underside of the hood, so I called Horizon Hobby. Instead of just sending me those two pieces, they sent me an entire cage/chassis package...so, now I'm partially on my way towards a second Capra. Was trying to come up with possible ideas for using it, and a 4WS rock buggy is already on that "list"...tho, is like to come up with a lightweight body idea that would for over the cage.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #1073
Quarry Creeper

Id sell the extra cage and use the funds for another front axle.....
Old 10-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #1074
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
Id sell the extra cage and use the funds for another front axle.....
That's a possibility. Another is to use the cage, and a blank skid, as the basis for another vehicle, built with aluminum axles (lowering the COG even further). There's plenty time to decide...whether I keep my (current) Capra as-is & build another Capra-based buggy, or convert this Capra to 4WS, I want to first enjoy it as-is. I should be receiving my TF2 shortly, and, after that, I plan to build a VS4-10 Pro, so those will cover me for at least the next 6 months.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #1075
Rock Stacker

So I installed a holmes 13T Magnum motor and an 11T pinion to try it out...slipper slipping bad. I definitely see the need for a slipper eliminator on the capra. First off, you need to put grease in the slipper and pinion gears, second, the slipper plates are like mirror finish, and thirdly, the spacer that holds pressure on the slipper is plastic...and the clutch is half the size of an scx10. Maybe a short traxxas spring would fit, idk, I’m going to put some washers in for now and crank it down.
NABeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #1076
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABeast View Post
So I installed a holmes 13T Magnum motor and an 11T pinion to try it out...slipper slipping bad. I definitely see the need for a slipper eliminator on the capra. First off, you need to put grease in the slipper and pinion gears, second, the slipper plates are like mirror finish, and thirdly, the spacer that holds pressure on the slipper is plastic...and the clutch is half the size of an scx10. Maybe a short traxxas spring would fit, idk, I’m going to put some washers in for now and crank it down.
I'll be installing a center diff in one of my Traxxas vehicles in a few days (need to remove the diff fluid Traxxas placed in to, and refill it with 15K)...so, my plan is to use the spring from the slipper I'm removing, and (if it will fit) install it in the Capra's slipper. If that won't work, I'll try to find the slipper spring that was originally in my TLR 22T 4.0 (I replaced the slipper with a DirectDrive), and see if that fits.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #1077
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I'll be installing a center diff in one of my Traxxas vehicles in a few days (need to remove the diff fluid Traxxas placed in to, and refill it with 15K)...so, my plan is to use the spring from the slipper I'm removing, and (if it will fit) install it in the Capra's slipper. If that won't work, I'll try to find the slipper spring that was originally in my TLR 22T 4.0 (I replaced the slipper with a DirectDrive), and see if that fits.

Have you had any issues? I’m wondering how these people are running brushless with it.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #1078
I wanna be Dave

If the nut isn't cranked down hard enough and the slipper spins once the spacer is likely done for. I cranked mine down hard from the start and it's still solid. Most any slipper spring or solid spacer with a 5mm inner bore and 4-7mm length should be fine too.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #1079
RCC Addict

Meh. I switched the plastic spacer over to a spring a week or so ago and it still squeels in a light bind, even when cranked down to the point of coil bind. I'd rather just disable it altogether so it's consistent, it's just not urgent enough to do so right now.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #1080
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
If the nut isn't cranked down hard enough and the slipper spins once the spacer is likely done for. I cranked mine down hard from the start and it's still solid. Most any slipper spring or solid spacer with a 5mm inner bore and 4-7mm length should be fine too.
I know mine was cranked down from the build, I mean once the plastic starts deforming, it’s tight. I think its not designed for that much torque.

The unofficial official axial portal buggy. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portal axials on ax10 axial............... bob1961 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-03-2018 04:45 PM
Gmade R1 Rock Buggy Portal Axle any good mudd_slinger General Crawlers 3 12-20-2011 08:25 PM
RC Adventures - Axial Wraith - Unofficial Running Video RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 13 06-08-2011 07:21 AM
official duratrax vendetta buggy and st thread . snowball50 Chit Chat 7 02-10-2007 12:47 AM