Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #261

Default Re: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
- Wheels are the same offset of our current 1.9 wheels
- Not without modifications
- yes a 25T and 23T insert are includes for the steering servo arm.
Thanks. Will you, please, share a dimension of the offset when you get a chance?
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #262
Quarry Creeper

Capra axles on my bomber would be nice, and look really scale. Lots of nice features on the Carpa, but I don’t like the design of the cage and front grille. I think the cage looks to narrow.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #263
I wanna be Dave

EDIT: Regarding the Mamba Micro X being considered for use in the Capra - please see the linked post below - no longer recommended because of the overall gearing of the vehicle - Apologies!:

The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

It really seems that no one was willing to look at the measurements that are posted at all the product sites - thanks a MILLION for posting the pics, maybe some of the chatter about this just being another Bomber or Wraith will die down.

So - to throw political correctness out the window (why the hell not?)

IMHO, a sweet young Losi Night Crawler went out for a night with the girls, ran into some macho dude that everyone at the bar just knew as "the Bomber" (musta been because of his leather jacket)....

And 9 months later, this happened!

I think he'll grow up to be a hell-raiser, and everyone will make all the upgrade parts we could ever want.

BTW - being as small and light as the little "cabrito" is, I would never try to cram a 550 can in one - a good 540 brushed should be plenty!

If someone wants to test the plastics, slip a brushless Stubby or Revolver brushless in there with a Mamba Micro X.

Also - with the portals giving extra ground clearance, this would be neat to test your skills while running smaller tires, might look more scale at the same time.

Don't really need all that sidewall if you pick your lines well....

Last edited by durok; 10-06-2019 at 06:08 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #264
I wanna be Dave

Yea the rig looks a whole lot like a night crawler without garbage axles under it.

Not a fan of the geometry but I'm sure someone will come along with a printed skid and upper link mount that fixes it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #265
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
It really seems that no one was willing to look at the measurements that are posted at all the product sites - thanks a MILLION for posting the pics, maybe some of the chatter about this just being another Bomber or Wraith will die down.

BTW - being as small and light as the little "cabrito" is, I would never try to cram a 550 can in one - a good 540 brushed should be plenty!

....Also - with the portals giving extra ground clearance, this would be neat to test your skills while running smaller tires, might look more scale at the same time.

Don't really need all that sidewall if you pick your lines well....
550 sounds like a challenge, not a brushless fan in crawlers. Agree on the tires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Not a fan of the geometry but I'm sure someone will come along with a printed skid and upper link mount that fixes it.
Please elaborate on why it's garbage geometry and how you would have made it.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #266
I wanna be Dave

Placed order with the LHS an hour ago, should be here around the 26th.

I’m thinking 4.19 Goodyear MTRs or a set of 4.19 ChooDoo’s? 🤔
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #267
Quarry Creeper

I'm interested and thinking about how the Power Wagon cab might look. With or without the PW hood. No front fenders of course.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #268
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post

I’m thinking 4.19 Goodyear MTRs
I'm very interested to see how these would look on this rig.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #269
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Please elaborate on why it's garbage geometry and how you would have made it.

Single triangulated suspension causes the axle to swing in an arc while articulating. In this case the axle swings in a smile pivoting off of the virtual center of where the lower links converge.

I personally prefer dual triangulated links so the axle pivots at whatever the average of the virtual center for the upper and lower links is. As a rule that is the middle of the axle so there is little swing action going on during articulation.

Everyone has... well the majority of buyers don't have half of a clue what geometry is or how it affects their rig. They just do whatever it is someone else do with no questions. I would raise the upper links at the rear axle (guessing since I don't have the rig in front of me obviously) about 3/8" and at the chassis about 1/4" so there is much more control over wrap and squat.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #270
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMatt View Post
I wonder if the dig unit can be set up for 3 positions? (lock, freewheel, drive) Is that a "thing" or not needed? I guess I could see benefits.

I don't think I've ever seen a benefit to having a freewheel position with a dig setup like this one. You'll get used to locking and unlocking it a ton on high traction rock to pull up. Freewheel makes it way too easy for the truck to roll uncontrollably backwards.

Oh, and nice job Rich and Matt and company. It looks like you've taken some design cues from some of the best handling shaft driven cars in the past. I'm actually pretty excited to take one for a spin.

Last edited by Del Monte; 09-12-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #271
RCC Addict

Quote:
Single triangulated suspension causes the axle to swing in an arc while articulating. In this case the axle swings in a smile pivoting off of the virtual center of where the lower links converge.

I personally prefer dual triangulated links so the axle pivots at whatever the average of the virtual center for the upper and lower links is. As a rule that is the middle of the axle so there is little swing action going on during articulation.

Everyone has... well the majority of buyers don't have half of a clue what geometry is or how it affects their rig. They just do whatever it is someone else do with no questions. I would raise the upper links at the rear axle (guessing since I don't have the rig in front of me obviously) about 3/8" and at the chassis about 1/4" so there is much more control over wrap and squat.
The uppers are still triangulated, it just pushes the convergence point way out past the axle. Combined with the lowers, this will have a low flat roll center which is a good thing with portals.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post

I’m thinking 4.19 Goodyear MTRs or a set of 4.19 ChooDoo’s? 🤔
I'm thinking 4.19 will look too small. Don't you?

Quote:

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about suspension geometry. How is this not considered dual triangulation? Are the upper links not close enough together on the axle?

I do know that when the links are too close together on an axle the rig seems to be floppier side to side and less stable overall in my experience.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #273
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Capra axles on my bomber would be nice, and look really scale. Lots of nice features on the Carpa, but I don’t like the design of the cage and front grille. I think the cage looks to narrow.
That is where the body guys come into play, make lines you don't like into some you do.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #274
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
The uppers are still triangulated, it just pushes the convergence point way out past the axle. Combined with the lowers, this will have a low flat roll center which is a good thing with portals.
Fawking barely. the convergence is 20' away from the rig.

Give me the rear geometry that I want and I'll live with a crappy front end. The front isn't bad enough to make me change it immediately and I'd bet the rear won't make me happy. Throw some weight on them knuckles with some sticky tires and let's go play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about suspension geometry. How is this not considered dual triangulation? Are the upper links not close enough together on the axle?

I do know that when the links are too close together on an axle the rig seems to be floppier side to side and less stable overall in my experience.

It's all about the tune. Throw the right shock setup at each suspension setup and things change. Just changing geometry by itself usually isn't the hot ticket for performance.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #275
Rock Crawler

I have seen a few mentions of the plastics being upgraded to what the TLR has. I think a plastic upgrade was well overdue for Axial.

It would be great if someone could clue me in on what a TLR is.

Thanx!
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #276

Quote:
Fawking barely. the convergence is 20' away from the rig.

Give me the rear geometry that I want and I'll live with a crappy front end. The front isn't bad enough to make me change it immediately and I'd bet the rear won't make me happy. Throw some weight on them knuckles with some sticky tires and let's go play.

It's all about the tune. Throw the right shock setup at each suspension setup and things change. Just changing geometry by itself usually isn't the hot ticket for performance.

So is there an ideal geometry for every situation or does it vary?

The skid does have places to raise the rear links, but that doesn't move the links in our out.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #277
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
So is there an ideal geometry for every situation or does it vary?

The skid does have places to raise the rear links, but that doesn't move the links in our out.

Yes and no. Easy button is to set a rig up pretty neutral so it's good at everything and let your driving ability make it great at certain things that matter to you.

You can set a rig up so it turns on a dime but it's going to suck at climbing. Everything is a tradeoff.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #278
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFridayNight View Post
Is there any way to build this without dig (in the interim until a HV micro servo can be acquired).
The Power HD TR-4 runs on 7.4v and should fit. It's also waterproof.

Another plus is that it has a longer cable.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Last edited by bbrigg; 09-12-2019 at 09:17 PM.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #279

Default The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

Quote:
Yes and no. Easy button is to set a rig up pretty neutral so it's good at everything and let your driving ability make it great at certain things that matter to you.

You can set a rig up so it turns on a dime but it's going to suck at climbing. Everything is a tradeoff.

Thanks. I'm not surprised it's a trade-off game just like most things in the world.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 09-12-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #280
Quarry Creeper

TLR is team Losi racing, the racing division of Horizon. the racing buggys they make have very high quality plastic
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote

The unofficial official axial portal buggy. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portal axials on ax10 axial............... bob1961 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-03-2018 04:45 PM
Gmade R1 Rock Buggy Portal Axle any good mudd_slinger General Crawlers 3 12-20-2011 08:25 PM
RC Adventures - Axial Wraith - Unofficial Running Video RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 13 06-08-2011 07:21 AM
official duratrax vendetta buggy and st thread . snowball50 Chit Chat 7 02-10-2007 12:47 AM