Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Axial Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
You ever tried Kokain?? Probably cheaper

Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #142
Quarry Creeper

Build review video is up: https://youtu.be/bgM7bPrEKUY Good info on what's needed to build and the build thus far
RichMTB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
you ever tried kokain?? Probably cheaper

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMTB01 View Post
Build review video is up: https://youtu.be/bgM7bPrEKUY Good info on what's needed to build and the build thus far

I don’t like the fact that Horizon makes you use that Spectrum servo with the proprietary piece to make the dig work.

If that’s the case, the servo should have been included. 😡
Old 09-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I don’t like the fact that Horizon makes you use that Spectrum servo with the proprietary piece to make the dig work.

Meh, looks like the generic traxxas setup will work with a bit of tweaking. I'll find out this week, mine gets here monday.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #146
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Yup. My 5th rig since April. 🤣

Already looking at either a GOM or a BRX01 next.

If the Capra scratches the itch for a tube style rig, I’ll probably go for the BRX01.

I’m gonna need a another job in my retirement.🤣
Would love to see a BRX01 build
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Meh, looks like the generic traxxas setup will work with a bit of tweaking. I'll find out this week, mine gets here monday.
Sweet, I’ll be a day behind you.👍🏼
Old 09-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #148

Quote:

People are already saying they're using other servos for the Dig.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
People are already saying they're using other servos for the Dig.

I wonder if just a $3 mg90 would fit. Not like it needs gobs of TQ anyway.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #150

What's the issue with the dig function? I missed something.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

First off...warning, warning, warning...crawler nOOb here. Have several off-road racers (buggies, SCTs, STs), plus a USGT, but finally decided to get a crawler, and will be starting with the Capra.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I pre-ordered mine from AMain a couple weeks ago (should have been delivered today, but UPS decided to reschedule for Monday). For the DIG servo, I've ordered both the "recommended" Spektrum SX107, plus a Hitec HS-5070MH. Figure, I'll give the Hitec (my usual go-to for servos) a try...and, if I can't get it to fit/work, I'll use the SX107, and return the Hitec (tho, I'll still be using a Hitec HS-5585MH for steering duties). Honestly, I don't mind wasting the $15 cost of the SX107, just for the DIG part, if it allows me to use the Hitec.

My "big" problem is deciding on a motor. Originally, it was an ESC/motor 'problem', and I was about to go with the Hobbywing AXE FOC System (all of my race vehicles have Hobbywing ESCs), but I've since decided on the CC Mamba X. For the motor, I'm now trying to decide between an ROC412 & HH PP. While the Capra will see 25-40% rock/trail crawling duty, the other 60-75% usage will be for rock racing. Yea, I realize my two uses are somewhat in contrast to each other, but it is what it is...and, I have no intention of using two different ESC/motor combos (besides, my checking account wouldn't handle it).

Anyway, glad to be joining the "slow" crowd. I think every go-fast driver needs to learn to "take a breather" every once-in-a-while...and, the Capra is going to be my 'introduction' to that "breather".

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keil View Post
What's the issue with the dig function? I missed something.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

It’s an odd micro/mini size servo that’s recommended.

Here’s the specs.

And where it goes. Note the tight clearances.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #153

Default Axial Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
First off...warning, warning, warning...crawler nOOb here. Have several off-road racers (buggies, SCTs, STs), plus a USGT, but finally decided to get a crawler, and will be starting with the Capra.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I pre-ordered mine from AMain a couple weeks ago (should have been delivered today, but UPS decided to reschedule for Monday). For the DIG servo, I've ordered both the "recommended" Spektrum SX107, plus a Hitec HS-5070MH. Figure, I'll give the Hitec (my usual go-to for servos) a try...and, if I can't get it to fit/work, I'll use the SX107, and return the Hitec (tho, I'll still be using a Hitec HS-5585MH for steering duties). Honestly, I don't mind wasting the $15 cost of the SX107, just for the DIG part, if it allows me to use the Hitec.

My "big" problem is deciding on a motor. Originally, it was an ESC/motor 'problem', and I was about to go with the Hobbywing AXE FOC System (all of my race vehicles have Hobbywing ESCs), but I've since decided on the CC Mamba X. For the motor, I'm now trying to decide between an ROC412 & HH PP. While the Capra will see 25-40% rock/trail crawling duty, the other 60-75% usage will be for rock racing. Yea, I realize my two uses are somewhat in contrast to each other, but it is what it is...and, I have no intention of using two different ESC/motor combos (besides, my checking account wouldn't handle it).

Anyway, glad to be joining the "slow" crowd. I think every go-fast driver needs to learn to "take a breather" every once-in-a-while...and, the Capra is going to be my 'introduction' to that "breather".

Congrats on the Capra! It'll be interesting to see how it holds up to rock racing especially with portals. It seems designed more for slow going rather than racing, but maybe Matt or Rich can comment on this.

I'm also bummed because FedEx didn't deliver mine despite it being less than an hour from my house. Seems a lot of us will have them Monday.

Anyway, I have both the ROC412 and HH PP. John Holmes says the Puller Pro is smoother on start-up while the ROC412 has a stronger drag brake. I haven't used them side by side to notice a difference. I say get whichever is cheaper, but I'm sure others have different feedback. BTW the Mamba X is an awesome ESC.

Edit: Here's a link to John Holmes comparing the ROC and PP.

Tekin, castle and Holmes oh my!

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 09-28-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #154
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Anyway, I have both the ROC412 and HH PP. John Holmes says the Puller Pro is smoother on start-up while the ROC412 has a stronger drag brake. I haven't used them side by side to notice a difference. I say get whichever is cheaper, but I'm sure others have different feedback. BTW the Mamba X is an awesome ESC.
I read his comment this morning. He was responding to the question I had asked regarding the ROC & PP motors. For the rock racing at JJ Customs...or, "crawler drag racing", as Jason calls it...I've seen crawlers of all types compete. So, I'm willing to give it a shot using the Capra. I mean, it's not like they're going really fast...probably topping out at 15mph.

It's primarily because of the dual-purpose nature of my intended uses. If I could afford two kits...dedicating one for the crawler racing, and the other for rock/trail crawling...I'd do it. But, right now, my back account (and my credit cards) can't handle sick an extra expense.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:09 AM   #155
TSK
Shelf queen

The servo is like $17 shipped on eBay. I don’t think that is that big a deal. It is a tiny ass servo and anything larger would just take up too much space.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #156
RCC Addict

If you're okay with running sans servo saver, most micro (not sub micro) servos should fit just fine. The jx1151 looks like a good fit and specs say it uses a standard 25t output (so you can easily add a servo saver or aluminum horn if you desire.) There's also the PowerHD TR-4 which is waterproof and can run 7.4v which could be a good option for those of us that run high voltage steering servos through the receiver. The MG90S should fit fine too, but you're limited to their included (and VERY brittle) ABS 21t horns, I haven't found any other horns that fit. Plenty of other options out there for dig servos.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK View Post
The servo is like $17 shipped on eBay. I don’t think that is that big a deal. It is a tiny ass servo and anything larger would just take up too much space.
$15 from AMain. The Hitec HS5070MH servo I mentioned is just as small. If you compare the dimensions, you'll see just how close they are. In terms of torque, though, the Hitec is slightly more powerful. As I keep saying, I'll try the Hitec...and, if it won't work, I'll use the Spektrum SX107.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 09-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #158

Even I'm not worked up over a micro servo. LOL
Old 09-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Even I'm not worked up over a micro servo. LOL
I'm sure you have your brand preferences, whether it's motors, ESCs, tires, or whatnot. Some people are Canon people, others are Nikon people (for the record, Nikon rules). When it comes to servos, I prefer Hitec, just as I prefer Hobbywing for my ESCs (though I'm being "forced" to switch for the Capra...at least until Hobbywing gets rid of all the AXE FOC System's "problems", then I'll reconsider it).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 09-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
The MG90S should fit fine too, but you're limited to their included (and VERY brittle) ABS 21t horns, I haven't found any other horns that fit. Plenty of other options out there for dig servos.

It’s almost weak enough to be its own servo saver.

Tags
axial, capra, crawler, goat, rig

Axial Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM