Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Axial Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #221
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
.025" aluminum should be plenty. It will dent though.
I'd actually consider that a positive if it takes some dents without getting totally destroyed...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2019, 12:36 AM   #222
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mond View Post
The Horizon guy said it's made in the same place as TLR, with TLR materials and I'll take TLR plastics over RPM's all day long. The disconcerting thing is the design. Most of the pressure is on the screws themselves. Looks like they'll eventually wear around the screw holes.
Most of the pressure is on the bearings, not the screws. Both the upper and lower driveshafts bridge across the inner and outer halves of the portal housing, resting on bearings at each end. The screws just hold the two halves together, they don't support torque loads.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #223
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Hmmm. These two kinda favor each other.

They do look very similar, don't they? But the Slickrock looked better, even though it was toy-grade in its capabilities. I never spent so much time and effort trying to improve a crawler as I did when I owned a Slickrock. But it sure looked nice. Vaterra made a mistake by never making a 1/10 version.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:23 AM   #224
RCC Addict

So, after looking at the Capra, I'm gonna pass. When I get right down to it, my Wraith is still my favorite Axial truck. I know I sound like a basic-bitch for saying that, but I can't help what I like. It's the best-looking tube-frame design Axial ever made IMO, and since I've spent over a thousand bucks on upgrades over the years, it does exactly what I want and it does it very well. Same reason I never got a Bomber, really. With every other Axial truck I've bought or considered buying, underneath all of my rational analysis lay the question: "but can it out-Wraith my Wraith?" The answer has always been no -- except for the SCX10 II, which for some reason I always expected to be different than my Wraith. I guess what I really want is a second Wraith...and a spare fifteen hundred dollars to spend on the truck itself and a pile of upgrades, so I could buy that second Wraith without getting nauseous when I look at my credit card bill.

Now, if Axial would re-release the XR10, I'd be all over that. I really don't understand why they refuse to re-release the XR10. Even if that style of comp crawling isn't popular anymore, there are still people who want a cliff-climber just for fun.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-03-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Most of the pressure is on the bearings, not the screws. Both the upper and lower driveshafts bridge across the inner and outer halves of the portal housing, resting on bearings at each end. The screws just hold the two halves together, they don't support torque loads.
Not exactly. The metal gears aren't going to break before the plastics. If there ever comes a time where the gears have so much load that they are going to try skip a tooth guess what's going to give - the plastics. The bearing and bearing seat are pretty rigid so they're not likely to migrate sideways. So they may try to pop the portal housing open. In that case the load will be solely on those four screws and the plastic to hold the portal housing together.

At this point into the build those portal housings are probably my biggest concern.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #226
I wanna be Dave

Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - Axial Capra at RCCrawler.com

Here ya go!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
The Losi/TLR horn didn't fit on the micro servo(I think I mentioned that in an earlier thread), although the other TLR horn (for the steering servo) does work (as will others).

As for the DIG servo, I do have some good news. I just called Hitec, to see if they offer, or know of, any aluminum horns for that servo...and, they do. The model number is HS-5125MG, and the part number is 55707. If ordering from AMain, searching either of those numbers, or searching HRC55707, will bring up the part. Just added one to my cart.

If anyone else decides to give the Hitec HS-5070MH micro servo a try, and also decides to get the aluminum horn, here's a suggestion: Once the correct hole is determined, you can use a Dremel w/ a metal cutting disk, and cut off the excess length (followed by sanding the edges, of course).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Small update on the dig servo topic. Got the JX PDI-1151MG today. Regular 25T spline servo horn fits just fine. I’m waiting for everything else to show up...
volumeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #228
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post
Small update on the dig servo topic. Got the JX PDI-1151MG today. Regular 25T spline servo horn fits just fine. I’m waiting for everything else to show up...
Fantastic. The Hitec micro servo fit as well...although, due to the additional height of the Hitec, and because of the difference in height between the top of the case & top of the horn mount, I had to place some shims to 'assist'. In mounting the servo to the DIG servo holders, I added a 1mm shim to each mount, which also means I needed longer screws (I replaced the two M2x8mm screws with M2x12mm...I didn't have any M2x10mm). For the horn, between the horn & AXI232011, I added two 1mm shims. Thankfully, the included was long enough.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:02 AM   #229
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not exactly. The metal gears aren't going to break before the plastics. If there ever comes a time where the gears have so much load that they are going to try skip a tooth guess what's going to give - the plastics. The bearing and bearing seat are pretty rigid so they're not likely to migrate sideways. So they may try to pop the portal housing open. In that case the load will be solely on those four screws and the plastic to hold the portal housing together.

At this point into the build those portal housings are probably my biggest concern.
Well yes, the portal housings could pull straight apart, but they could do that with any portal design. I thought the original concern was the portal housings would twist apart, which is extremely unlikely.

Anyway, give the aftermarket 5 minutes and they'll have weighted brass portal housings for the Capra, which will eliminate that concern for a...nominal fee.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:27 AM   #230
Quarry Creeper

Holy loud transmission Batman...
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Holy loud transmission Batman...
Mine is loud as hell on the bench. But there are a ton of metal gears in there so I'm not too shocked.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #232
RCC Addict

Quote:
Mine is loud as hell on the bench. But there are a ton of metal gears in there so I'm not too shocked.
I've got all metal gears including the spur in my Wraith and it's very loud, but it's awesome.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #233
I wanna be Dave

After agonizing (ok, not truly "agonizing"...but, was still a difficult decision) over what wheels & tires to go with, I finally made my decision. I'll be mountains Pit Bull 1.9 Growler AT/Extra tires, filled with Crawler Innovations "Deuce's Wild" crawler foams, and mounting then on Vanquish OMF NXG1 wheels.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #234
RCC Addict

Here are some pics comparing the Capra on 1.9s and the 2.2 version of the same tires.

Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #235
I wanna be Dave

Oh, yeah. Definitely going 2.2.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #236
I wanna be Dave

Sneetches;5967673]Here are some pics comparing the Capra on 1.9s and the 2.2 version of the same tires.

[/QUOTE]

Now I'm second-guessing my having gone with 1.9 tires. Looks like I'll have to order me up some 2.2s, along with the 2.2 foams. Thankfully, as I had planned on installing the 1.9s on 2.2 wheels, I'll already have the wheels. I'll just hold the 1.9s for whatever my second crawler ends up being.

UPDATE: Just curious, but are you using the stock shocks, or aftermarket? If stock, using limiters, and, of so, how much? If aftermarket, what length shocks (and, if using limiters, how much)?

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-05-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #237
Pebble Pounder

Do the 2.2s clear at full lock?
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #238
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post

Now I'm second-guessing my having gone with 1.9 tires. Looks like I'll have to order me up some 2.2s, along with the 2.2 foams. Thankfully, as I had planned on installing the 1.9s on 2.2 wheels, I'll already have the wheels. I'll just hold the 1.9s for whatever my second crawler ends up being.

UPDATE: Just curious, but are you using the stock shocks, or aftermarket? If stock, using limiters, and, of so, how much? If aftermarket, what length shocks (and, if using limiters, how much)?

Don't sweat it too much yet, I think it'd be good to get some time in on the 1.9s, plus you need a stronger servo and gearing to compensate. Then you can try out 2.2s eventually and have a good baseline for performance. . These are the stock shocks, no limiters, softest springs included on all 4 corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1
Do the 2.2s clear at full lock?
Yes, however at full lock with full compression you'll start rubbing the shocks. See pic of clearance on the side fully compressed at full lock. The solution of course would be wheels with more backspacing or wider hubs.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #239
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
.....at full lock with full compression you'll start rubbing the shocks. See pic of clearance on the side fully compressed at full lock. The solution of course would be wheels with more backspacing or wider hubs.
I ordered 225 & 350 hubs. I'll see how the 225s do, and, if there's running, I'll swap them for the 350s & check again. Granted, as I mentioned, I'm gonna first give the 1.9 tires (mounted on the 2.2 wheels) a try.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:59 PM   #240
RCC Addict

Here's another just for fun, the "Compra".

Tags
axial, capra, crawler, goat, rig

Axial Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM