Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Axial Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Probably squirt some random color on it this week. I'll probably make my own panels out of .030" sheet anyway.

That’s what I’m planning. I’ll use the hood and make panels for the rest.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #202
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keil View Post
So what is everyone's planned color scheme?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
OG RC10 colors like my Enduro.

dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #203

Crawling newb here! Just ordered a new Capra.

Will this be suitable? Or is this overkill?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...162-02/p718538
tooshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #204
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshay View Post
Crawling newb here! Just ordered a new Capra.

Will this be suitable? Or is this overkill?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...162-02/p718538
I think that should be an awesome combo for the Capra.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:01 AM   #205
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Glad...actually, very glad...to know. While I had decided on the Mamba X ESC, I was deciding/debating between the ROC412 & HH PP Standard. Honestly, be I hadn't even considered the CC Slate motors...at least, not until tooshay posed his/her question. Thanks to tooshay's quotation, and your answer, I have finally made my decision.

Now...to get that combo ordered...but, before I do, have a wheel question. If I'm to stick with 1.9 wheels, what are the best aluminum options (probably from SSD, Vanquish, RC4WD) that will fit properly on the Capra (considering the portals)?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-02-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:08 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
EXCELLENT! And a massive relief, too, as I used the opportunity my parents are in the States to have one ordered! It's sold out UK/EU side completely and comes in way more expensive, too. Bought mine at Amain for $150.
tooshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:18 AM   #207

Quote:
Probably squirt some random color on it this week. I'll probably make my own panels out of .030" sheet anyway.
I assume you want thinner panels for weight savings and a lower COG. Is that correct?

My build is in process, but I'm waiting for a Capra section to post it. I'd be shocked if, for some reason, we didn't get a new section as it's an all new platform.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Got mine Monday....still in the box. Temptation abounds, but have some other projects to finish up first.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I assume you want thinner panels for weight savings and a lower COG. Is that correct?

My build is in process, but I'm waiting for a Capra section to post it. I'd be shocked if, for some reason, we didn't get a new section as it's an all new platform.
Nope, making my own panels so they're simple to reproduce. They will take a beating so they need to be tougher than stock.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #210

Quote:
Nope, making my own panels so they're simple to reproduce. They will take a beating so they need to be tougher than stock.
Oh I assumed the stock panels were thicker than .030" and you were going thinner. I understand what you mean now.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #211
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I never said there was a large number of "crossover" parts...I was just indicating that certain parts used in the Capra are also used in builds by other Horizon Hobby-based kits. For example, AXI235014 is exactly the same as TLR235014, & AXI237009 is the same as VTR237009. These are both from the same page in the Capra manual. I have no plans to even attempt a part-by-part comparison...I just want to build mine, and enjoy it (the, in order to build, as noted by several others, a 'corrected ' is needed, which I know you, and your team, are working on. In regards to the micro servo, you are correct. I'm not sure if the tooth count (didn't bother counting), but it's definitely a smaller diameter. Thankfully, I have a possible solution that might still allow me to use the Hitec micro servo for the DIG...and, as for the horn I just bought, I still have a use for it (TLR 22SCT 3.0).

One of the things I really enjoy about RC is the ingenuity of those involved, and how (most) people are willing to help others...even those they're competing against. To give you an example of both...on the same vehicle, no less...I have a Rustler 4x4 that's almost finished going through a "conversion" (not yet ready to disclose, but it will appear in the Traxxas forum soon). For the 'ingenuity' side, it now contains parts from several different vehicles, some of which are from Horizon Hobby-based vehicles. As for the 'helping others' side, while some of the parts ideas were my own, other parts were suggested by other people trying to help me with my "project".

To be completely honest, I REALLY like HH-based builds. The manuals (despite a few errors here & there) are very well-written, parts are organized in the best way possible, the quality of materials is excellent, and customer service is top-notch. Using TLR as my primary example, Frank has, a few times, gone 'above & beyond', assisting me in some difficult-to-find info, and providing me with more info than I had even expected. If Axial follows the same, I have a strong feeling that I'm going to not only be very happy, but, when it comes time to select my second crawler, that increased the probability that the second will also be an Axial vehicle.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Gotcha...ya I just didn't want others to think we are taking existing parts and using them (though we could in certain situations)....but the way the internet works... "Ya i heard they are just taking parts from Losi and putting them in Axial cars"...lol...
That being said, the part numbers are exactly the same for some hardware and bearings etc as we have a template for setting up parts, just changing the first 3 letters. The ultimate goal would be to have all common hardware and bearings etc under one brand or id so that dealers and consumers wouldn't have to carry the same/similar part under multiple brands.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Most of those servo arms will not work on many of the micro servos out there as or TLR horns use standard 1/10th size output splines. A lot of the micro servos have proprietary sizes.

Also pure coincidence comparing the servo arms as no TLR/Losi parts have been renumbered by Axial... I should know, I created them all
The only thing we have shared are the 23T/25T servo insert for the Steering servo arm. Other than materials, nothing from Losi/TLR has been used on any Axial vehicles.

I'll add that we are changing the part number system for Axial to match Losi, Vaterra, ECX and TLR with 6 digit numbers but that's going to take some time for all parts to have this new system.

Just want to make that clear.
This is a bummer about the size...hoping the Micro JX I ordered is a standard 25T spline size so I can use that Losi horn....
volumeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post
This is a bummer about the size...hoping the Micro JX I ordered is a standard 25T spline size so I can use that Losi horn....
The Losi/TLR horn didn't fit on the micro servo(I think I mentioned that in an earlier thread), although the other TLR horn (for the steering servo) does work (as will others).

As for the DIG servo, I do have some good news. I just called Hitec, to see if they offer, or know of, any aluminum horns for that servo...and, they do. The model number is HS-5125MG, and the part number is 55707. If ordering from AMain, searching either of those numbers, or searching HRC55707, will bring up the part. Just added one to my cart.

If anyone else decides to give the Hitec HS-5070MH micro servo a try, and also decides to get the aluminum horn, here's a suggestion: Once the correct hole is determined, you can use a Dremel w/ a metal cutting disk, and cut off the excess length (followed by sanding the edges, of course).

Old 10-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #214

Quote:
The Losi/TLR horn didn't fit on the micro servo(I think I mentioned that in an earlier thread), although the other TLR horn (for the steering servo) does work (as will others).

As for the DIG servo, I do have some good news. I just called Hitec, to see if they offer, or know of, any aluminum horns for that servo...and, they do. The model number is HS-5125MG, and the part number is 55707. If ordering from AMain, searching either of those numbers, or searching HRC55707, will bring up the part. Just added one to my cart.

If anyone else decides to give the Hitec HS-5070MH micro servo a try, and also decides to get the aluminum horn, here's a suggestion: Once the correct hole is determined, you can use a Dremel w/ a metal cutting disk, and cut off the excess length (followed by sanding the edges, of course).

I must have missed that...I was really only looking for a work around the Spektrum servo and plastic horn. I'll just return the JX and get the SX107. Thanks again for the leg work!
volumeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #215
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Is .030 a decent thickness? Thinking of making some panels at work and we have .025 or .040 available. 040 seemed like it would be a bit much...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #216
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Is .030 a decent thickness? Thinking of making some panels at work and we have .025 or .040 available. 040 seemed like it would be a bit much...
.030" is pretty standard for heavier bodies. Not crazy thick though.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #217
Rock Crawler

Oh jeez, nevermind. Misread your post and thought you were talking about aluminum for some reason...

JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #218
I wanna be Dave

Finished the front/rear axles this morning, complete with servo (using the previously-mentioned TLR aluminum horn), and built the transmission, right up to the point of installing the DIG servo...e except for a tiny boo-boo on my part.

I've built numerous vehicles, so it's my own fault. What I forgot was one bearing. I thought I had installed it...and, since I didn't see it on my table anymore, I was sure I had installed it. It wasn't until I was packing things up, to go to work, when I found it. So, looks like I'll be partially tearing down the transmission, inserting the bearing, and putting it back together. Worst thing about this - it's the first bearing, on step E-1. Thankfully, I can laugh at myself over this one.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Oh jeez, nevermind. Misread your post and thought you were talking about aluminum for some reason...

.025" aluminum should be plenty. It will dent though.

Quote:
Finished the front/rear axles this morning, complete with servo (using the previously-mentioned TLR aluminum horn), and built the transmission, right up to the point of installing the DIG servo...e except for a tiny boo-boo on my part.

I've built numerous vehicles, so it's my own fault. What I forgot was one bearing. I thought I had installed it...and, since I didn't see it on my table anymore, I was sure I had installed it. It wasn't until I was packing things up, to go to work, when I found it. So, looks like I'll be partially tearing down the transmission, inserting the bearing, and putting it back together. Worst thing about this - it's the first bearing, on step E-1. Thankfully, I can laugh at myself over this one.

I did that! It's not common for a bearing to be in there in crawlers.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #220
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
.025" aluminum should be plenty. It will dent though.

I did that! It's not common for a bearing to be in there in crawlers.
If it had been one of the final bearings in the 'E' steps, it wouldn't be so bad. It's funny, in a sad way, that it turned out to be the first bearing. Correcting the error should only take a couple minutes, as I should only have to undo the first E-2 step, then the second E-1 step, to reach the part in question.

Other than that error, the build is coming along really nicely. Not counting the time taken to fill & bleed the shocks, steps A-E have taken me 3hrs, 45min. As I'm learning, building a crawler is completely different than building off-road race vehicles...but I'm still really enjoying it. As much as I enjoy running my vehicles, I'd NEVER want to just "buy"...building them is half the fun.

Tags
axial, capra, crawler, goat, rig

Axial Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM