Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Axial Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #161
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
The MG90S should fit fine too, but you're limited to their included (and VERY brittle) ABS 21t horns, I haven't found any other horns that fit. Plenty of other options out there for dig servos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
It’s almost weak enough to be its own servo saver.
I've decided to give up on using the Hitec servo I'd originally intended on using for the DIG (though, I'll still be issuing the other Hitec servo, for steering). Here's why:

If you look at the Capra build manual, you'll notice that you don't attach a horn to the DIG servo. The Spektrum SX107 (the servo "recommended"...although, they should say "required...by Axial/Horizon Hobby) includes a small piece that attaches to the servo, instead of a horn (this piece, in-turn, operates the DIG through a second piece, which is actually a piece from a servo-saver).

What I've come to realize (thanks, in part, to Rich of RCN) is that the piece included with the SX107 fits a 23T servo spline. Since Hitec servos use a 24T spline, I can't use the Hitec servo. This is NOT to say you must use the SX107 servo. You should be able to use any micro servo you want, as long as it physically fits in the space provided...and, as long as it has a 23T spline (such as Sanwa/Airtronics, Multiplex, JR, MRC, or KO). But, at the same time, you'll still have to buy the Spektrum SX107, as that's the only way to get the servo-DIG piece.

Looks like I'll be contacting AMain for an RMA on the Hitec micro servo.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #162
I wanna be Dave

@ Panther6834

I know it’s ghetto, but you put a drop of 2 part epoxy in the servo saver and press it onto the servo. Once hardened, it’d be as strong or stronger. Plus you should be able to remove the 2 part later, and likely, in one piece.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #163
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
@ Panther6834

I know it’s ghetto, but you put a drop of 2 part epoxy in the servo saver and press it onto the servo. Once hardened, it’d be as strong or stronger. Plus you should be able to remove the 2 part later, and likely, in one piece.
You're not getting it. The "servo saver" part is NOT attached to the servo...well, technically, it sorta-kinda is, but it's the part included with the SX107 that attaches to the servo splines. The "servo saver"part makes 'contact' with the part that's attached to the servo, essentially using that part to give added height to the "servo saver". Look at page 23 of the build manual, and you'll see what I mean. Essentially, it's acting just like a true servo saver, except in reverse (if that any sense).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 09-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

Correct. It’s the SPMSSX107 part# piece.

Depending on the length, some of the stock 1/24 crawler steering servos cane with a similar piece.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #165
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Correct. It’s the SPMSSX107 part# piece.

Depending on the length, some of the stock 1/24 crawler steering servos cane with a similar piece.
Possibly (honestly, I wouldn't know), but that piece still only fit a 23T spline, which is why I won't be able to user it with the Hitec micro servo.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #166
RCC Addict

I get it. But that doesn't mean anything if you're not listening. I wrote all about the servo saver situation in either this thread, or the only other Capra thread a few days ago, including fitment, the piece that only comes with the sx107, etc. I also need to correct you on the spline count, it is NOT 23T, it is 20t. I currently have one in my hand, along with an aluminum 20t servo horn and have verified fitment, the included splined portion that is needed to use the kits servo saver even has "20" molded right into it. That is why I suggested the other 2 servos (PowerHD TR-4 and JX1151) because they use a standard 25t output and you can easily find horns and servo savers of all shapes, sizes, and strengths to fit them, they also have leads that aren't 2" long so they won't require an extension (obviously still dependent on rx placement.) I'm gonna run the sx107 to get me going, but I'm probably going to run it on 7.4-8.4v, if it dies an early death, I've already got my replacement options and it won't be the 107. If it lives, wonderful.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I get it. But that doesn't mean anything if you're not listening. I wrote all about the servo saver situation in either this thread, or the only other Capra thread a few days ago, including fitment, the piece that only comes with the sx107, etc. I also need to correct you on the spline count, it is NOT 23T, it is 20t.

I'm gonna run the sx107 to get me going, but I'm probably going to run it on 7.4-8.4v, if it dies an early death, I've already got my replacement options and it won't be the 107. If it lives, wonderful.
Ok...since I don't actually have the SX107 in-hand, I'll have to assume you're correct. I was bashing my 23T on the fact that (almost) all Spektrum servos are 23T. As for the voltage, I thought the SX107 maxed out at 6.0V? All of my other vehicles, I have the BEC set for 7.4V, but, for the Capra, I was planning on setting it to 6.0V, even though I know I lose some torque & speed in both servos...but, that's part of why I selected a faster/more-powerful servo for steering.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #168

Quote:
I get it. But that doesn't mean anything if you're not listening. I wrote all about the servo saver situation in either this thread, or the only other Capra thread a few days ago, including fitment, the piece that only comes with the sx107, etc. I also need to correct you on the spline count, it is NOT 23T, it is 20t. I currently have one in my hand, along with an aluminum 20t servo horn and have verified fitment, the included splined portion that is needed to use the kits servo saver even has "20" molded right into it. That is why I suggested the other 2 servos (PowerHD TR-4 and JX1151) because they use a standard 25t output and you can easily find horns and servo savers of all shapes, sizes, and strengths to fit them, they also have leads that aren't 2" long so they won't require an extension (obviously still dependent on rx placement.) I'm gonna run the sx107 to get me going, but I'm probably going to run it on 7.4-8.4v, if it dies an early death, I've already got my replacement options and it won't be the 107. If it lives, wonderful.

Quit while you're ahead!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #169
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Quit while you're ahead!
Right

It's not like any other servo saver cant be used or more importantly none is needed if your radio doesn't suck and you have good end point adjustments.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #170
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
As for the voltage, I thought the SX107 maxed out at 6.0V?
Yep. Living life on the edge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Quit while you're ahead!
I gotta get him to 30 posts though!
Old 09-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #171
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yep. Living life on the edge!
Had enough of that (ok, maybe not "enough"...lol) throughout my life, doing "stupid things" on motorcycles (which I no longer do), jumping out of perfectly-good planes (thanks to a wonderful fraternity, known as the U.S. Army), gone SCUBA-diving with sharks, and working for Amazon (which I, thanks, no longer do...now, I'm a professional chauffeur). Being past the half-century mark, it's now more about "enjoying"...tho, I still enjoy occasional "on the edge" moments.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:32 AM   #172
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
you'll still have to buy the Spektrum SX107, as that's the only way to get the servo-DIG piece.
That is the only way to get the 20T servo saver base. You can buy the 2 speed servo saver set from the Yeti (part # AX31009) and you get the servo saver bases for 23,24, & 25T servos. Then you can run the servo saver with whatever servo of the most common splines fits in the provided space.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #173
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
That is the only way to get the 20T servo saver base. You can buy the 2 speed servo saver set from the Yeti (part # AX31009) and you get the servo saver bases for 23,24, & 25T servos. Then you can run the servo saver with whatever servo of the most common splines fits in the provided space.

Good find.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #174
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've decided to give up on using the Hitec servo I'd originally intended on using for the DIG (though, I'll still be issuing the other Hitec servo, for steering). Here's why:

If you look at the Capra build manual, you'll notice that you don't attach a horn to the DIG servo. The Spektrum SX107 (the servo "recommended"...although, they should say "required...by Axial/Horizon Hobby) includes a small piece that attaches to the servo, instead of a horn (this piece, in-turn, operates the DIG through a second piece, which is actually a piece from a servo-saver).

What I've come to realize (thanks, in part, to Rich of RCN) is that the piece included with the SX107 fits a 23T servo spline. Since Hitec servos use a 24T spline, I can't use the Hitec servo. This is NOT to say you must use the SX107 servo. You should be able to use any micro servo you want, as long as it physically fits in the space provided...and, as long as it has a 23T spline (such as Sanwa/Airtronics, Multiplex, JR, MRC, or KO). But, at the same time, you'll still have to buy the Spektrum SX107, as that's the only way to get the servo-DIG piece.

Looks like I'll be contacting AMain for an RMA on the Hitec micro servo.

I'd be looking at the PowerHD TR-4 servo and the GPM 25 tooth servo saver that is listed for the TRX-4 diff-locks and shift servo. The servo saver is currently discounted at Asiatees.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #175
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
I'd be looking at the PowerHD TR-4 servo and the GPM 25 tooth servo saver that is listed for the TRX-4 diff-locks and shift servo. The servo saver is currently discounted at Asiatees.

Having spoken to Horizon Hobby support, the torque of the PowerHR TR-4 is way, way to high. The "recommended" servo (Spektrum S6020) outputs 146 oz-in @ 6.0V, although the technician's honest recommendation was anything within the 150-225 oz-in range, but nothing higher than 250 oz-in. Going 'slightly higher' is (almost) always a good thing. Going 'even a little higher' can still be good. The servo I've selected (Hitec HS-5585MH) outputs 194 oz-in @ 6.0V, & 236 oz-in @ 7.4V*, which should be more than enough.

Again, I'm in the early learning stages where crawlers are concerned, but...at least in bashing & race vehicles...using something that is more than double, that's a big "no-no". Even a servo saver might not "save", as something is bound to break, sooner or later. While I prefer to use aluminum horns (again, primarily race vehicles), I know bashers who purposely use only plastic horns, because the strength of the servo can break the horn before any real damage is done...and they rarely go more than 50% above the max recommended torque.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #176
RCC Addict

This is getting pretty funny.

So the 2.6kg of torque from the TR-4 is way too high huh? You know that's a micro servo right? The recommended SX107 makes 3kg. As in, meant for the dig servo. The b.s. meter is running high.

We've all been trying to help you out, and try to give full explanations as to why we're recommending what we are.

...but that doesn't seem to work. So tell me, what's you're opinion of my 1,027.7oz Futaba A700 steering servo, I mean, the whole car will only weigh what, 90oz? How could I possibly need more torque than that?
Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #177
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

So the 2.6kg of torque from the TR-4 is way too high huh? You know that's a micro servo right? The recommended SX107 makes 3kg. As in, meant for the dig servo.
This isn't just "funny", it's "hilarious". This is what happened (although I didn't discover it until just now, when idbl-checked my 'search'). I had googled the specs for the TR-4...and, somehow, it showed me the specs for the LW-35MG. Sometimes, when searching, you find info for exactly what your looking for, and, sometimes, you think you've found what you're looking for...except that it's something entirely different.

Sorry about that...you're right. Google was "misleading", and, thus, I ended up with seriously-wrong info.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #178
I wanna be Dave

I have a VP dig with a savox 1230sg putting 500 oz to it. End points are important, screw servo savers, they're designed for craptastic radios that don't have proper end point adjustments.

Stab a servo in there and send it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #179

Quote:

So the 2.6kg of torque from the TR-4 is way too high huh? You know that's a micro servo right? The recommended SX107 makes 3kg. As in, meant for the dig servo. The b.s. meter is running high.

We've all been trying to help you out, and try to give full explanations as to why we're recommending what we are.

...but that doesn't seem to work. So tell me, what's you're opinion of my 1,027.7oz Futaba A700 steering servo, I mean, the whole car will only weigh what, 90oz? How could I possibly need more torque than that?
I tried to warn you!

My Capra arrived today after the FedEx tracking showed delivery today then switched to tomorrow and back to today.

So far the front and rear axles are built.

And still no build threads on here because we’re don’t have a section...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #180
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I have a VP dig with a savox 1230sg putting 500 oz to it. End points are important, screw servo savers, they're designed for craptastic radios that don't have proper end point adjustments.

Stab a servo in there and send it.
The Capra would need too much modification to fit the 1230 on the dig, it really only needs a micro in any case.

Otherwise agree 100%. Just make sure you set the end-points really low before you start calibration so your servo doesn't burn out in the process. Ask me how I know.

bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, capra, crawler, goat, rig

Axial Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM