Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #281
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post

Bil, is there something you aren't liking in the DLux design? It's going to be cheaper, much simpler, much lighter, and be more than strong enough while retaining the rear hub carriers. The MIP route may be a bit stronger but it needs more work to make fit. DLux's shafts are drop in solutions. 11 parts per side that can fail or 3?
I agree with this message!

Although I agree having more options, etc is a good thing for the B2B.
And Searching for a "cheaper", easier, and good solution like the Axial 96mm dogbones is one thing, but if the other alternative cost more, and requires more work to make it go, than the tried and true Dlux....hmmmm??

And so far so good with the Dlux shafts in the locked rear of the B2B. And it's not like I'm babying this thing either
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #282
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Bil, is there something you aren't liking in the DLux design? It's going to be cheaper, much simpler, much lighter, and be more than strong enough while retaining the rear hub carriers. The MIP route may be a bit stronger but it needs more work to make fit. DLux's shafts are drop in solutions. 11 parts per side that can fail or 3?
To be honest, I'm a little nervous of the fact that DLux uses the stock stub ends because if they bend or break, I'm not particularly keen on sending them back for servicing, especially living north of the border!
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #283
I wanna be Dave

That's a valid concern. In that case I would stick with the setup you have and just limit the rear shocks just shy of the point that the dog bone falls out. That's going to be your lightest, cheapest, easiest setup to service and since you're not a big basher I think it'll be plenty strong for your purposes.

I think the MIP system will be a heavy, convoluted, overkill, costly driveline that takes up too much space and requires you to move the shocks outside the arms and buy new rear hub carriers for no performance benefit. You'll likely never break it as long as you are constantly lubing the joints and slider and re-loctite the set screws after every other run. I tried MIPs about a year ago and am running them again on my new Wraith build simply because I had no other option and I still hate them. If nothing else, MIP's CVD pin retention design is just horrible. Even with red loctite or the blue gel they include in the rebuild kit, the set screws will not stay tight. The second worst part is the smaller-than-stock center screw pins that hold the MIP to the output. I've broken three of these on my Wraith now and I've about had enough.

I know Jerry knows his stuff and I have no doubt the full MIP system with 6mm locker outputs is the strongest setup available with it's keyed hexes but I'm not sure you need that much beef. I could be way off here, just my observation and experience.

Maybe because the dogbone can fully slide into the outer stub shaft, it is allowing the inner bone to fall out. You might try an O-ring or shock shaft bump stop inside the outer stub shaft cup to try and hold the upper part of the dogbone into the output cup on the diff. That might keep it engaged and give enough under compression that it doesn't bend the shaft.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #284
I wanna be Dave

I completely understand your thoughts Brian. I'm going to try to keep this easy for now and see if I can find some slightly shorter A-arms in the meantime.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:37 AM   #285
Rock Crawler

I just got my B2B kit yesterday. So no experience with the rear end of the B2B.

I did have issues with the stock Yeti dog bones dropping out of my B1B. Which was better than the Vanquish VVDs. They just broke like twigs. Anyway, the stock dog bones would drop at full compression, hard rolls, and even hard steering. I forgot to put the o-ring into the output cup. I cut some fuel line a little thicker than the stock O-rings, just about twice as thick. No more dog bones dropping.

The donor EXO I purchased already has them in the outputs.

Name:  exo2.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  64.8 KB

Last edited by Deckard; 05-07-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #286
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the DMG View Post
BMRC 300M short lockers !
i am in touch with matt @ BMRC,
& i am going to see if he can still have some produce for us !

& i am doing a B2B - MIP Rear drive setup here in a few days,
ill post up whats all involved & choices
still in the works !
just waiting on a few more parts,
& PM's - to come in guys.
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #287
I wanna be Dave

Deckard...you are the man!!! I just added one each of these red o-rings (AXA1179) to the inner drive cups and my issues have disappeared. I took the B2B out for a little test ensuring I was putting maximum stress on the rear 96mm axles and they did not force themselves out of the outer drive cups. On the bench performing some testing, the pins don't come close to the ends of the cups anymore. I'm still using the limits straps though. There's one particular crawling section in my backyard that I know is extremely difficult to accomplish and the B2B made it up with minimum effort...I'm stoked again! I'll get some more testing done before I can feel confident that this is going to be sufficient for longer 4-5 hour crawls with the guys. I'll also add some of these o-rings to my trail spare parts box.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 PM   #288
I wanna be Dave

Test day tomorrow....also going to try out the new RC4WD 2.2 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires.

B2B_Bomber_35

B2B_Bomber_36

Last edited by bilinvic; 08-19-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #289
I wanna be Dave

A VERY successful five hour crawling test session with the B2B without one single issue whatsoever.....and boy does it crawl. It's crawling performance is definitely on par with my best solid axle crawlers and in some cases, even better. The stability when side-hilling is insanely good and with no torque twist, this B2B is all about getting grip with all four tires. The center ground clearance is so good and with the solid flat skid, there's nothing to get anchored on. The B2B is made for bouncing, it's like a cat always landing on it's legs and much more in control than a solid axle truck.

I'm in heaven driving this B2B....it's so incredibly awesome to watch the independent suspension on all four corners do it's thing.

The only thing I may try differently is putting a slightly softer spring rate on the rear shocks; the rear end is pretty stiff.

The new RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires kicked some serious ass. Their grip on the rocks and moss is fantastic. They performed just as good in loose dirt and small rocks. After today's crawl, I definitely recommend them with CI DD foams. I have no intentions of changing the tires foams, I nailed it right off the bat!!!

Regarding the Axial 96mm EXO dogbones with the tiny red 0-rings...it was perfect, not one hiccup and trust me, I did not baby this machine while crawling and bouncing; everything survived some pretty good tumbles as well.

Hopefully nostopinLucR will have some video published in the next week or so.

I can't wait to get out again...this may be my go-to rig for a while.

B2B_Bomber_39

B2B_Bomber_41

B2B_Bomber_40

B2B_Bomber_37

B2B_Bomber_38

Last edited by bilinvic; 08-19-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #290
I wanna be Dave

Glad to hear you like those tires. I've wanted a set since they released but needed at least one positive review before buying a set. The knockoff MTR "Two Faces" were so bad but it looks like RC4WD has a winner here. Glad to hear you fixed that dogbone issue too. I figured an O-ring would help take up the slack I just misunderstood which end you were having problems with.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #291
I wanna be Dave

Glad you got your shafts figured out, crazy an o-ring fixed the problem, lol. Rigs looking sick, I'm still torn on building one or not, but you guys are helping me push towards it though, lol. Looking forward to seeing the video!

If you do change your mind about dlux shafts, just know the stub rarely breaks. And if it was to, I'm sure dlux could help you with a new one and with a vise, you can put it back together yourself, instead of sending it back to dlux.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #292
I wanna be Dave

Great to hear the positive review on the tires (AND the B2B) - excellent pics as usual!

Could you let us know what size and type of CI DD foams do you have stuffed in there?
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #293
I wanna be Dave

It's hard to believe that this tiny o-ring made all the difference to allow these axles to work!

I have quite a few sets of CI DD foams in my spares cabinet that I don't even know for sure which ones I used, I just mix and match inner and outers until I'm happy with the "squeeze test". I'm pretty sure I used 5.5 DD comp cut w/ soft outers on the fronts and 6.0 DD standard inner w/soft outers on the rears.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #294
Quarry Creeper

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Glad to hear the B2B did not disappoint you in the crawling department. The B2B is probably the best version of the Bomber to date.

Also very glad to hear the dogbones are working and survived your abuse! I may consider getting me a set and running them so I can use the dlux as spares for the front. the Axial dogbones are so cheap!
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #295
I wanna be Dave

Exactly....No big deal to change the rear dogbones and they aren't outrageously expensive. I'm really looking forward to getting this B2B out on the rocks again.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #296

any more word on those tires? Just got a set but one be able to use them for a few months till I get back home.
Stretch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #297
I wanna be Dave

I haven't had a chance to use them again...summer time is our "off season" for rock crawling up here. Hopefully soon though.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #298
I wanna be Dave

Really? What do you guys do instead? I've never heard of summer being an off season for crawling.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #299
I wanna be Dave

We crawl all year long, but lots of folks are busy over the summer and it gets too hot as well. Yes, I still crawl over the summer months, but not nearly as often as the 3 other seasons. My "honey-do list" is usually longer in the summer!!!!
Old 06-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #300

Bill if I may ask a question. With the B1B kit installed what is the Wheelbase ?. Thank you for your time in answering this question for me? Steve
One Mean bomber is offline   Reply With Quote

bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build bilinvic Axial RR10 Bomber 712 04-25-2020 08:09 AM
bilinvic's R1 Build bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 82 03-14-2018 07:52 PM
Dmg b1b & b2b bomber demo Jasper105 Videos! 0 02-22-2016 07:26 AM
Video of bilinvic's RR10 Bomber bilinvic Videos! 1 01-02-2016 07:20 PM