Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: The "Just shut up and build it" thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The "Just shut up and build it" thread...

Ah... oh, well - was unduly influenced by rampant consumerism and the endless yammering about Black Friday.

Unfortunately, this made me order the HH PP Standard in 3500kv (so I suppose I'll have an extra 2200kv version, at least for now!) and a few other things. I decided on going ahead with that order because the SHV500 HH servo only works on 3S LiPo direct - the 2200kv's ability to run a higher cell count would not be a factor in my situation. May install in a future Ascender K10 or SCX10 II purchase, may sell/trade. The only regret I have with my recent purchases is that I missed the Amain sale on the 3500kv because I ordered it from HH direct before I was aware of it. But - at least that way I got the bigger CC bullets installed by Holmes. No big deal.

Other items on their way:

STRC Aluminum Center Driveshaft Splines in Black to replace the kit plastics
A couple extra Axial Bearings in 5x11x4mm (read on magic_yeti's thread about these for the transmission - between t-case and gearbox and one on the input side of the gearbox) - size wasn't mentioned so I made an assumption(!)
Associated Green Slime
TrakPower waterproof grease
Duratrax threadlocker
Tactic DroneView FPV Wi-Fi Mini Camera(on sale for $19.99 at Tower - so why not?)
Wertymade RR10 Bomber Aluminum Electronics Mount Plate
Venom 30C 3S 3200mAh hardcase LiPo batteries (x2) to add to my 2 Factory Spec 11.1V 4300mAh 40C packs (that's enough batteries for now!)

... and I did go ahead and get those updated V2 SSD Titanium Steering Links for the Bomber.

Looks like I'll end up with items for sale/trade after the build is complete and I've run it for a while to make certain all is well with the setup.

I am hoping to get the DMG new roof panel with tubular light guard, and his spare tire mount - when it's available. Will run it for a while without adding any scale accessories or lights.

Another thing I'm happy about is the Google Pixel XL phone I just got when my old Nexus 5 microphone quit - it's no fun only being able to use the speakerphone! I'm trying out the Project Fi phone plan from Google and it's working out nicely so far. The camera is supposed to be very good - I will have to set up some decent lighting for the work area when I continue building and post some pics of the process.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default PICS! (parts only, so far...)

Done, except for an Incision spare wheel that's on order, and a DMG spare tire mount (whenever they're back in stock):
(OK, not really DONE, just done ordering! Really just starting.... gotta build it now)
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I do have a LiPo charging/storage bag big enough for 6 of my 3S batteries and MIP metric drivers coming by Monday... My allen wrenches are old Bondhus L-wrenches, and I've somehow managed to practically cripple my left hand before even turning a bolt!

(silence, peanut gallery - it wasn't from what ya might think - I really have no idea how, although I have a poorly-healing minor burn on my middle finger, but it's tiny. Just gettin' old and arthritic, I suppose. Good thing I'm right-handed... The MIP's are to keep my right hand in good enough shape to build the kit, hoping the left is good enough to pull the trigger on the Tx when I'm done building!)
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Bro! Get started already!! So much good stuff in that pic, need to see it out the plastic.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Well, happy Holidays, everyone!

In the mail to me are JEC Racing links, with the front lowers being drilled and having frenched rod ends.

Also, JEC Racing / SuperShafty SS trailing arms. decided to make everything super strong and slippery on the rocks.

Lastly, I managed to snag the DMG spare tire mount to go with my DMG roof with lightbar guard.

Still trying to decide on whether to build with stock bearings or upgrade those, too.

Enjoy your (hopefully) long weekend of festivities and gifts!

(BTW - got a spare Incision Method wheel direct from Vanquish as well)
Old 12-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Cool parts. Ironic thread title.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Definitely upgrade bearings now. Stock bearings are a total waste. Fast eddy, avid or boca.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Whelp... as ninja turtle has pointed out, the irony is getting unbearable.

That said, got my JEC SS links to match the JEC/SuperShafty SS trailing arms, Fast Eddy bearings, Desert Rat RC Design 3D printed Stinger, Hot Racing aluminum transmission and transfer cases, and a can of self-etching primer for the aluminum body panels.

I will probably wait until I am done building to decide what topcoat color(s) I will be using, right now I need to go to the apartment office to get my GearHead RC 4" white LED lightbar and "L" mounts.

Gonna check the size and mounts to determine if and how I will mount a rear 4" KOH lightbar from GearHead and eventually order one of those and some HeyOK wiring bits to power and possibly switch on & off both bars - running off the MMX internal BEC.

After that most likely a few scale-ish bits like tow rope, fire extinguisher, radiator, fuel line, Hi-Lift jack, etc.

(BTW, Jato - I lied earlier... had to post something after all, but I really am trying to stop procrastinating and begin!)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

How is it coming together?
supra_89t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Ummm.... I just got 2 pairs of Hot Racing 95mm limiting straps, a 20mm Vanquish servo arm, another set of HD Axial UD diff gears and some Kyosho shims yesterday. Picking up some smaller shims at the LHS shortly.

I'd previously got the rear KOH lightbar and wiring splitter to from GearHead to power both lights from the receiver. It's a sickness.

I'm estimating nearly a year since the kit purchase, just a steady trickle of upgrades coming in since - the only assembly done is the wheels/foams/tires.

Pathetic excuse: I did find out I officially am getting old this year, as I was finally seen by the GP at the VA and given a ton of tests. Seems I'm out-of-warranty and heading downhill fast - with worn-out brakes, no less.

HOWEVER(!)

After months of slacking, I went on a long MTB ride with my brother Sunday until I was ready to drop in my tracks. I'm aching all over, but shall attempt to do it again soon to keep my motivation up - and look for cool crawling spots!

(thanks for asking, LOLz)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

Glad to hear you got on the bike! Sorry to hear of your declining health. :( What part of Austin are you in? I grew up in Austin and still have family there.
supra_89t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Ummm.... I just got 2 pairs of Hot Racing 95mm limiting straps, a 20mm Vanquish servo arm, another set of HD Axial UD diff gears and some Kyosho shims yesterday. Picking up some smaller shims at the LHS shortly.

I'd previously got the rear KOH lightbar and wiring splitter to from GearHead to power both lights from the receiver. It's a sickness.

I'm estimating nearly a year since the kit purchase, just a steady trickle of upgrades coming in since - the only assembly done is the wheels/foams/tires.

Pathetic excuse: I did find out I officially am getting old this year, as I was finally seen by the GP at the VA and given a ton of tests. Seems I'm out-of-warranty and heading downhill fast - with worn-out brakes, no less.

HOWEVER(!)

After months of slacking, I went on a long MTB ride with my brother Sunday until I was ready to drop in my tracks. I'm aching all over, but shall attempt to do it again soon to keep my motivation up - and look for cool crawling spots!

(thanks for asking, LOLz)
Gotta laugh, the RC thing has kept me off my bikes for over a year! I used to get out on my MTB or roadie every other day, 13 mi dirt local hills or 15-30 mi minimum road riding. Do an easy recovery ride to rid the aches and lactic acid build up. Amazing the energy you have when you stay active and have "a lot of miles" on ya. Seeing all those parts above would give my wife a heart attack, "For toys?" Ride on brother, then assemble all those pieces.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Damn Durok! So much good stuff in that pic up there.
You either have really good self control or are a slacker! Just kidding brother.

But man, I hope you get better. Stay active and mobile - doesn't have to be anything too vigorous....just keep those joints moving.

Once you get this thing built, you can go hiking with them and have some fun! Add that to your daily or weekly regiment.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the sentiments, guys! I'm currently looking for a backpack that an RR10 will fit inside - with a pocket big enough for the radio and another for extra batteries. I'd like to bike out to the crawl spots.

I do plan on some more rides to check out other parts of the park with an eye for the prime RC locations, and I got the last washers and shims today. Gotta build it ASAP!!

@supra_89t - I've been in Austin since summer '83, when I started at UT. Dropped out and went in the Marines for a few years, spent 6 months in Detroit afterwards, then came back - been here ever since (I will not admit to my living 11 months in Dallas!).

Lived all over town, but lately I have tended to stay North central - close to Walnut Creek Metro Park, which is my closest MTB spot and also has plenty of great crawling/trailing/mild bashing locations.

I'm not in the WORST shape, I did manage about 11 miles - on an all-butted-steel hardtail with a segmented-crown rigid steel fork. My brother and I are retro-grouches when it comes to bikes. No suspension here, just 1x9 drivetrains and disc brakes.

We do rocky trail and steep drops, whatever. I admit taking the bypass at the biggest drop on Sunday - but will hit it next ride. I used to do a weekly 20-25 mile ride when I was a fair bit younger, always by myself. Probably not a good idea now!
Old 04-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Thanks for the sentiments, guys! I'm currently looking for a backpack that an RR10 will fit inside - with a pocket big enough for the radio and another for extra batteries. I'd like to bike out to the crawl spots.

I'd do a trailer or a cycle truck/front loader kind of setup for that. I've seen some people use a pack for everything they need, then strap the truck on the outside, strapping the axles. Just hiking and crawling but you could ride like that no problem.
kennydoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I used to shove a stadium truck in my old backpack and then strap another rig on the outside when I only had a motorcycle... it was a great big skateboarding backpack made by "fuct", but that was also lost in the fire.

The packs I'm looking at now are relatively inexpensive for what they are - one of the bigger 2 by ArcEnCiel (available in black or coyote brown):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010HKLVMS...GAIM85QBA&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YXECOF8...=3IYUGAIM85QBA
Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Can you give us a review of the Supershafty SS trailing arms when you try them out? I've been looking at those for a while ....

The GearHead KOH light bar is awesome, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I will do "run reports" after it's built - but please realize I will have never run it stock - it's gonna be very built-up, not only are the trailing arms by JEC/SuperShafty, but the upper and lower links as well.

Very heavy duty SS, front lowers have frenched rod-ends just like the trailing arms. There are plenty of members here running the trailing arms - haven't heard a negative word on 'em ever!

In all honesty, I don't know when this dang thing will be done. I'm pretty wiped out from work every day, gotta get up at 4:30AM. Weekends are when II need to motivate myself better!

Here's a thread that has a lot of info - and my post about the lower front control arms - I got mine drilled, but you can get them solid as well:

SuperShafty trailing arms. BombProof
Old 05-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Awesome! Thank you for the link. No worries about it being highly modified. Upgrades are half the fun ...

Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Ok, so I'm fairly certain now that I need to get some of those Supershafty trailing arms!

The "Just shut up and build it" thread... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread cormier33 Axial XR10 132 10-26-2014 11:04 PM
"DIABLO" Ottsix Post Season Build Off! offical build thread silver falcon 2.2 Scale Rigs 21 09-06-2014 06:08 PM
Jeep Commander quad pickup "Honcho II"-the build thread pantablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 77 07-28-2008 01:42 PM