Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: wanting a winner... xj build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: wanting a winner... xj build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Ok, small shake down run of the motor and esc on day one.
Phone in one hand and driving with the other..

I have since went from 56/9 to 60/9 and hooked the RS up to the Hotwire. So it even Better now! Now I'm thinking of goin back to the 56/9 or 60/10 gearing.. too much torque even with a bombproof drive train, I'm a little worried bout it out lasting my trigger finger.. :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdxE...e_gdata_player
Looks like it runs well, but that's a lot of spur gear noise? Why not gear up a bit, say 13/56? The motor is sensored and should still crawl well, yet have great wheel speed.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #82

What weight of oil are you using in your shocks and what is the part number for the springs you are using? Thanks!
FeralWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

The motor/gearing seemed a bit noisy to start with but has since calmed down.
The RS was set to D2 which made me think that the gearing was high and wanted it smoother but made the couple changes all at once and shouldn't have. Ill be gearing up some. As for wheel speed, it still runs like my 16t crawlmaster on 4s! Lol...

Wolf, they setup is. 4"big bores, 25wt oil and losi white springs(like come with the lcc shocks). Its been a super smooth setup for me and know a couple other that I have seen run it since..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #84

Awesome thanks for the help!
FeralWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #85

Nice, great minds must think alike...

I picked this up a couple weeks back:

And got this last week:
warpig602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Haha, I would say.. after I cut the back off the dingo cage, I used some pleather to use as a soft top.. the went xj.. good stuff!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Since switching from stock-ish axles to very Not stock-ish axles, I decided the ole home brew knuckle weights, held on with shoe goo, wouldn't do..

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1392270344910.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  62.3 KB

Not realizing VP had knuck weights to fit, I placed a order..

I do so love me some black on my rigs..

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1392270407344.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  43.6 KB

Didn't fit at first(not how I wanted em to anyways) so I got my trusty dremel out.. Just enough to clearance for the knuckle screw.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1392270480194.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  55.3 KB

It moved em in enough to make me happy with the wheel clearance.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1392270519013.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  30.3 KB

And if I decide I want more then the 2.2oz (68g) per side.. 33g add on fits.. (would need the small corner cut off, for full steer, from the screw in/up.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1392270640078.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  31.4 KB

Always good to have options...

I went with just the main weights for now..

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1392270762032.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  51.3 KB

Back to hangin from the rafter the ole xj goes.. :( too much snow to test any benefits..
Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Snow melted on the home course so I went out for a pack.. or most of a pack....

I actually forgot I wise even testing the knuckle weights till I just opened the thread.. lol..

I was paying more attention to the HH trailmaster BL and the HH servo.. either way, the weights were an awesome addition!

I think if I took the front and rear bumper off, I could run it in a comp rig class! I was hitting my 2.2 lines today... I was smiles from ear to ear all over the course!

Even with cms, the servo is all over it. The motor is too notch from low end, to top end, and torque is Amazingly dangerous!

I know, it's not horribly impressive. But it lasted 2yrs thru all the 4s abuse and a real heavy trigger finger.
The rock beasts were hooking ridiculously and it just got to the point were, something was goin to give.. (i was pushing hard for fun) just waiting on some steel outdrives and I'm goin to see what's next on the list to replace.

Last edited by winnerone23; 02-25-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #89
Pebble Pounder

awesome . Robinson Racing sells a one peice steel outdrive/gear .. Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Lock Gear AX10/SCX10
I was looking to get it if i ever do that ^ to my stocker!
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous View Post
awesome . Robinson Racing sells a one peice steel outdrive/gear .. Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Lock Gear AX10/SCX10
I was looking to get it if i ever do that ^ to my stocker!
Don't waste your time with rr one peice crap!!!
Go hr or rr gear with ci or SS outputs fixed!!!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I didn't waste a thought on that gear.. I have the metal gears, so I ordered 2 sets of steel outputs(for the same price)
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
...Even with cms, the servo is all over it. The motor is too notch from low end, to top end, and torque is Amazingly dangerous!

I know, it's not horribly impressive. But it lasted 2yrs thru all the 4s abuse and a real heavy trigger finger.
The rock beasts were hooking ridiculously and it just got to the point were, something was goin to give.. (i was pushing hard for fun) just waiting on some steel outdrives and I'm goin to see what's next on the list to replace.
Were those aluminum or steel Axial outputs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
Don't waste your time with rr one peice crap!!!
Go hr or rr gear with ci or SS outputs fixed!!!

x2
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Shhh... lol.. the aluminum ones..
I forgot I changed my tranny out.. I did have steel ones up until I dropped the trailmaster BL in and my comp rig tranny..
Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Baahahahahahahahahahahaha.....
I had the motor an tranny apart to pull the output and happen to be enjoying running the xj with the new motor, I threw another aluminum output in and bolted it all back up..

Out for a run and..... Hmmm, strange, the rear wheels are turning anymore...

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1393444771636.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  59.7 KB

Odd.. it looks like the pic from yesterday! Lmao... Yep, another one bites the rock!

I guess I'll wait on the mail now.. :'(
Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Looks like it!!! Alum????? I'm surprised it pulls out without snapping!!! I have same setup in 8lb wraith & it's a BEAST of a motor!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

It snapped the output shaft off. I think my scx weighs around 8lbs.. funny thing is, my wraith barely breaks 7lbs rtr.. it's a mad beast!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

The HH trailmaster BL bites again!! This time the outputs were fine.. But there always has to be a next weak link.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397614377136.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  34.6 KB

Des-Troy-ed a 32p spur gear this time. A Few more on order.

This past weekend was ECC and the trail class was a hoot! A mix of comp rules and scale courses was a enlightening class to run. Everyone was having a good time and we were laughing or a$$es off they out the courses.

I was bashing before the courses and had to pull my HH servo to replace with a 7950. Got thru the start gate of the first course and never reversed my servo, so it was all backwards..
Second course was perfect.
3rd course was RIDICULOUS! The second gate had a mushroom shaped rock protruding out of the rock and it was dead center of the gate. So I grabbed full throttle and it stopped me dead in my tracks! So what to do? Back up a little further and Hammer down! Im missing a couple hunks of plastic out of my axle housing but cleared the gate clean! by gate 7 I said "I hate scale" but by the time I went thru it a second time, after falling thru 8, I was loving the idea of this class and can't wait to do it again! (This course I broke a tooth of my spur)
Course 4, I got to gate 8 and the spur had enough..

After all said and done, I got a 5th place out of 20 plus drivers..

Just simply a great weekend!

All my Bent Metal Workz parts took the beating that only a tank should have to hold up to.. Thanks Ryan!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Ran a comp with EPAcrawlers today, at Rausch Creek 4x4 club. We comp side by side with the 1:1 guys.

The spur held together as did the rest of the rig, even ran the 3rs course on 4s. Im loving this HH trailmaster BL motor! Slow smooth crawling and awesome wheel speed to make the loose gravel hill climbs..

All in all, a Great day! Took a 3rd in class 2..

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1398570712334.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  64.5 KB
Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Been a while since I posted, so I figured it was time and make it big!

So after a top 5 finish at ECC in the trail class, I was swinging for the fences and trying to beat 1st place out. Well I gave 2nd place up soon that an tired for 3rd which sat me in 4th at Battle Grounds.

Ok, if this is goin to be a normal class, it's time to jump in with both feet....

All ready for the NENQ!
Old 08-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Well.... The NENQ wasn't so good for the ole girl!

Hint.. If your not use to 4ws and don't get any practice time with it.. Don't Do It!!! Specially right before a Big comp! Lol...

Course 1 went ok.. Course 2 was not so good and then gate 9.. Ugh.. Got thru 9 and everything went whacky! Not motor and both servo's where twitching..
I had 3 second left and has to finish.. Unplugged and plugged back in.. Ready... Set... Full throttle Go!
I was half way thru the gate, laying on my side! DNF....

So I got to work and found a branch jumped up and pushed my sensor wire into my spur and pinion.. OUCH..
So I get that cut and pulled out, plugged it in and everything worked fine.. Other then I'm on the start gate and the judge said Go.. Hmmm.. HH 3100kv on 4S, unsensored and the 3rd course was basically a sporty course.. Not good!

Ready... Set... Go!
I made it thru gate 4 and DNF..

It was the Best course/time on a course, I had all weekend! (As far as laughing and carrying on goes)..
I don't think anyone wasn't dying laughing!
I ended up with my front axle housing broke, OD skipping and rounded off, broken link end, ruined sensor wire and a bad 32p spur gear.. All by the end of the one course! Lmao..
At one point, I stepped out from behind the xj, front bumper against a rock, tires in the dirt, and Diablopress sitting with his back to me...
I unleashed the full throttle rooster assault on him.. Haha hahaha... Oh, not a good idea when he's the judge.. Oops..
We all had a blast, none the less!

Which brings us to this update..
New OD gears, new Dlux modded scx axle housing in the front.. Back to a straight axle in the rear..

Rcrocs3 comp yesterday.. Rig felt great! I don't need no stinking 4ws!!!!!

Out come, a week before World's.. A negative 1!! ;)

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409529160968.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  71.8 KB

wanting a winner... xj build thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanting a winner.. Xr-10 build thread winnerone23 Axial XR10 963 10-31-2016 04:11 PM
wanting a winner... build thread winnerone23 Venom Creeper 628 03-25-2014 07:40 PM
wanting a winner... mrc build thread winnerone23 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 268 02-26-2014 06:17 AM
Dual Dingo build thread-My first build thread juswin24 Axial SCX-10 205 09-19-2013 12:42 PM
T-shirt winner(s) thread Cloak General Crawlers 23 08-14-2009 08:56 PM