Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scx10 shock leaking who's got the right fix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scx10 shock leaking who's got the right fix?

Hope this helps those with leaking SCX10 shocks: A month after replacing the Axial O-rings on my SCX10 Rubicon with "Tamiya 50597 Damper O-rings (10pcs)." the results are in...

In summary the Tamiya O-rings make a big difference to the rate of oil loss from the dampers. They are not a perfect 100% leak free fix, but a huge improvement for a low cost. However they are tricky to install. Here is a video on the leaks, the new orings and the results:

4WheelRCUK - Axial SCX10 Leaking Shocks Solved (80%). - YouTube

Thanks to 'BigGaz' on the ModelSport UK forum for suggesting the Tamiya 50597 O-rings
4WheelRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Since 4wheelrc bumped this thread too I'll add this: Tech Thread -- SCX10 shocks
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

I had the kit shocks from my SCX10 Rubicon leak badddd. I've built lots and lots of shocks before, I'd say I know what I'm doing when it comes to shocks and they still leaked. I think it has to do with the o-rings fit and finish.

I put the PL scalers shocks on though and they work awesome! They're emulsion but don't have a bleeder screw. I filled them to the bottom of the threads where the cap goes on, they had a ton of rebound but after a few pumps oil moved into the area where the o-rings are and then they felt just right. A few weeks later and no leaks, just perfect shocks.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #24
RCC Addict

My RTR shocks leaked from the top cap and never leaked at the bottom..I fixed my top cap leak with Teflon tape..compressed by hand about 1000 times and no sign of a leak.

Of course I fixed the shocks after I replaced them with Losi shocks.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Looking for anything new someone is trying..

I'm running 3 o-rings an slime on them. Works good, I just run a slightly lighter shock oil to compensate for the nice snug fit of the rings..
Yes, run three stock o-rings (remove the little black plastic spacer that normally goes in between the o-rings) or....

I rebuilt my stock Axial shocks using Traxxas #7062 shock rebuild kit o-rings in place of the Axial black plastic spacer (between the two existing red o-rings), filled with fresh oil and crawled all afternoon, no more leaks! It makes them feel a little more like 40wt oil instead of the 30 that's in them, but as Winnerone23 said it's easy to change shock oil thinner or thicker. If they leak at the top, then make sure you have the bladder seated properly in the cap (no oil up inside of it, clean it out if necessary), tighten the cap but do not over-tighten it!

As for those who say no oil is fine, whatever works for you. Mine crawls much better after taking the time to seal up the shocks and tune the oil, springs and ride height.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-23-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Update on the Traxxas o-ring fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Rebuilt my stock Axial shocks using Traxxas #7062 shock rebuild kit o-rings in place of the Axial black plastic spacer (between the two existing red o-rings), filled with fresh oil and crawled all afternoon, no more leaks!
This mod was good (and cheap) but it only lasted couple months, my shocks have leaked down again especially the front ones. They still work better due to added stiction of the tighter o-rings kinda acts like more oil in them than there actually is.

So I'm in need of same length and travel shocks that don't frickin leak! Do the new Axial Ikon shocks leak a lot too?

I'm going to try Proline scale shocks (90 - 95MM) 6060-00. Pro-Line PowerStroke Shocks 6060 for Rock Crawler
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Mine are still goin strong with 3 o-rings and green slime in them.
I now build all my scx shocks this way. 3-4 sets of mine and a few others.
Once in a while there is a purge of oil out of a shock but nothing that wouldn't be normal of any shock, specially a plstic one, with much use an abuse.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx10 shock leaking who's got the right fix? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shock fix bubbaskyjacker Newbie General 5 11-18-2010 01:28 AM
Leaking shock caps - Al Replacements? bigstu Axial XR10 16 10-12-2010 05:50 PM
ax10 leaking shock caps racenut Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 07-08-2010 09:03 AM
TLT shock fix eron Scale Accessories 0 12-31-2009 09:09 PM
RTC leaking shock Chuki Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 06-20-2009 12:33 AM