Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #161
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-n-bash View Post
Naz-T - You have an indescribable post here! Many thanks for the superb travelogue and stunning photography!!

There's oodles of excellent information here...you have been an inspiration. It's wonderful to see part numbers!! I will mimicking your light setup as it looks and works so awesome.

Thanks so much for sharing!! This has been such an enjoyable post to read.
Thanks for the compliments. I glad that this thread has inspired people to get out and enjoy the great out doors with their R/C's.
It has been thoroughly enjoyable and amazingly rewarding.

Last edited by NaZ-T; 08-31-2014 at 02:32 PM.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #162
RCC Addict

Another great outing up Big Cottonwood canyon.

This time a few of us headed out to run the Twin lake and Solitude lake loop trail. This trail wasn't too difficult but did have some challenging sections but nothing that Dudley couldn't handle. The loop is a total of 3.5 miles round trip. No failures to report but we did get rain, snow, and some sleet on the way down from Twin lake. But I was prepared with a rain poncho so I no biggie. The wet conditions did add some extra adventure to the run and was kinda enjoyable to see the rig work through the sloppy stuff. I didn't get any pics in the wet as it was quite dark and we were trying to hustle.

And of course some pics

Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #163
RCC Addict

More (some of the pics aren't the greatest do to the fading light)

Old 08-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

Dudley workin it like a boss!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #165
Quarry Creeper

I LOVE IT! How does Dudley do compared to that crc? My falken seemed to climb much better than my crc, shorter wheelbase and lighter weight just seemed to do wonders, what's your experience?

I also run a full waterproofed rig, unlike you though I went the extra step in protecting bearings but still finding a lot of rusted metal, or at least the start of rusting. So high all this running you've logged, how are your metal parts holding up with all the water use?

Also sorry if you've answered this but what's your led setup? More specifically, what are you using for a controller and how are you powering it? Really a want to do a receiver powered setup on mine no way I want the extra weight of another lipo in there, am I right?
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #166
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Crawlr View Post
I LOVE IT! How does Dudley do compared to that crc? My falken seemed to climb much better than my crc, shorter wheelbase and lighter weight just seemed to do wonders, what's your experience?
Yeah the lighter weight of the Deadbolt and G6 rigs seem to out perform the CRC on a number of lines. His CRC has been on a diet as of late, no spare tire, no lights. he's been toying with just switching it up to a G6 when he needs a new body.

Quote:
I also run a full waterproofed rig, unlike you though I went the extra step in protecting bearings but still finding a lot of rusted metal, or at least the start of rusting. So high all this running you've logged, how are your metal parts holding up with all the water use?
Not bad actually. The frame has some rust where it gets scratched up near the skid and all the screws are rusty. But none of this has effected Dudleys performance. The bearings on the other hand I'm sure could use some attention. Dudley doesn't get any maintenance until something fails and then only the failure gets addressed. Other than checking for loose screws and some oil on the exposed joints and pivot points, driveshafts, etc. I do try to squeeze a little oil onto the bearings that I can get to without turning a wrench, in hopes of them lasting a bit longer. As of yet I have not replaced any bearings.

Quote:
Also sorry if you've answered this but what's your led setup? More specifically, what are you using for a controller and how are you powering it? Really a want to do a receiver powered setup on mine no way I want the extra weight of another lipo in there, am I right?
The "Rock Lights" are the Vaterra Slick Rock LED strip (vtr310000) I just used some Shoo Goo to keep them in place. For the body I'm rock'n the Axial Simple LED kit (ax24257) with just the 2 white LED strand for the head lights. The Vaterra rock lights are Y harnessed together into one of the Rx ports. While the Axial LED kit uses up the remaining open port in the Rx. So simple answer, Yes all my LED's are running off the Rx.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #167
RCC Addict

Dudley had a busy Weekend.

Last weekend a group of us decided to head up to the High Uintas to take on Clyde lake trail. The trail is a 6 mile loop that takes you past a number of different lakes. The High Uinta mountains are full of stunning beauty, and I would highly recommend making the trip up Mirror Lake Hwy if you happen to visit northern Utah. We didn't complete the loop due to rain and although the rain didn't stop us from having a blast it did slow our progress and the slippery and sloppy conditions had us using more battery power than we planned. So 2.2 miles into the trail we decided to turn back. I know a few of the guys really want to head back up and actually complete the loop in the near future. Dudley ran flawlessly all day despite the rain and mud, and logged 4.4 miles of distance for the day.

Pics

Old 09-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #168
RCC Addict

Old 09-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #169
RCC Addict

Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #170
RCC Addict

Old 09-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #171
Quarry Creeper

Man, those pictures with the mud covering Dudley's Deadbolt and that amazing scenery in the background are awesome. This thread has just been so much fun to follow.

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #172

This makes me want to pack up all my stuff and move to Utah.... Got any network/tech job openings there....LOL!
Watsonst04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #173
Quarry Creeper

Man...your pics never cease to awe me-and inspire to go out and run my rigs
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #174
RCC Addict

Another trail, another adventure.

This outing, Dudley and a friend hit up Bell Canyon trail. The trail has reservoir about .7 miles from the trail head and then continues on to a waterfall about 3 miles up from the trail head. We hit the trail in the evening and made it to the reservoir to run the Atomik Barbwire boat before continuing on. We ran out of light after making it 2.4 miles. Even though we were only about a half mile from the waterfall, we didn't know how much further it was at the time and it had been dark for a while before we decided to turn back. Dudley ran flawlessly throughout the trip and logged 4.8 miles on the GPS for the day.

Pics on our way up to the reservoir

Old 09-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #175
RCC Addict

And pics heading up after the reservoir and one looking over the city on our way down. (Due to fading light some pics are low quality)

Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #176
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post

Sic!
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #177
RCC Addict

So I was giving Dudley a bath the other day (No maintenance) to clean some of the mud and dirt off from the last couple runs and noticed the front axle had a big hole worn into it. I'm not sure how long it's been there but from the look of things I'd say it's been there for a bit. Now, nothing has failed so I don't know if I want to fix it just yet or see how long the ring and pinion hold up with dirt and such for lube

Pics of the damage

Old 09-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #178
I wanna be Dave

Pretty cool, but I'd put a new housing on or cover the hole with ShoeGoo or JB Weld and thick lexan or something.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #179
Rock Crawler

That's what I call getting your moneys worth out of a set of axle housings.
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #180

Great pics! Great commentary! Great thread! Because of Dudley and your thread, I just picked up an scx10 deadbolt for myself. Thank you for sharing and keep the updates and posts coming!
ken2tin is offline   Reply With Quote

Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new money? funny money robbio4422 Chit Chat 13 09-19-2010 05:30 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM