Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #201

Default Re: Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money

Loved your idea of using the axial light buckets. I poached these out of my wraith kit and lit them with a Hobbyking light set from the LHS [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
big_bumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #202
Quarry Creeper

This is just an outstanding thread on the SCX10 Deadbolt. I've been out of the hobby for a few years but I decided to grab one of these with a nice discount from tower, and from the looks of this thread, I definitely won't regret it. Axial seriously needs to hook you up because this thread has definitely impressed a lot of people on how durable the SCX10 platform is. I'll also be picking up a new grill for it as well, I love the looks of that one. Just curious though, I can't seem to find where you found the lenses for the headlights?
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #203

The headlight lenses come in Axial kits. Axial does sell them as a kit though Axial LED Light Bucket Set (Black) [AXI80045] | Radio Control - AMain.com
big_bumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #204
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_bumpkin View Post
The headlight lenses come in Axial kits. Axial does sell them as a kit though Axial LED Light Bucket Set (Black) [AXI80045] | Radio Control - AMain.com

Awesome, thanks!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #205
Quarry Creeper

NaZ-T,while I was in Hobbytown earlier to pick up some (lexan) scissors,I spied an in stock-SCX10 Deadbolt (Tower Hobbies has been out of stock for like...ever,LOL,and my Hobbytown buddy tells me it's "probably the very last Deadbolt of either chassis we'll be able to get in before the new year")...between this thread/your experience (and those awesome pics!) and Harley's just beginning a Deadbolt build-project,LOL,I couldn't resist,"it followed me home" (in the back seat,with a receipt,that had my debit card accoutn # on it ).

Being honest,with having multiple SCX10's already (including that Honcho I bought new,back during an earlier page in this thread,LOL),an undriven-yet Trail Stomper and a NIB CC01 kit (which will most likely be gifted to a young cousin over the holidays anyways),I really needed another SCX10 RTR

Just thought I'd tell you,LOL,your and Harley's threads are costing me money (what I mean to say is,they've inspired me )
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DC View Post
NaZ-T,while I was in Hobbytown earlier to pick up some (lexan) scissors,I spied an in stock-SCX10 Deadbolt (Tower Hobbies has been out of stock for like...ever,LOL,and my Hobbytown buddy tells me it's "probably the very last Deadbolt of either chassis we'll be able to get in before the new year")...between this thread/your experience (and those awesome pics!) and Harley's just beginning a Deadbolt build-project,LOL,I couldn't resist,"it followed me home" (in the back seat,with a receipt,that had my debit card accoutn # on it ).

Being honest,with having multiple SCX10's already (including that Honcho I bought new,back during an earlier page in this thread,LOL),an undriven-yet Trail Stomper and a NIB CC01 kit (which will most likely be gifted to a young cousin over the holidays anyways),I really needed another SCX10 RTR

Just thought I'd tell you,LOL,your and Harley's threads are costing me money (what I mean to say is,they've inspired me )
It was actually this thread that made me buy my SCX10 DB......so I am not the only one that had to buy a DB after reading this
Denhussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #207
Quarry Creeper

The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #208
RCC Addict

With winter here I have not been getting out with Dudley as much as I would like, but we're still getting a run in here and there during the cold and snowy months. This time we headed out to West Wendover Nv for the 801rcc Silver State 600 event.

Wendover is home to some great crawling. The terrain is loaded with tons of variety, loose dirt, steep climbs, and crazy canyons. It's an R/C crawlers paradise!!

Dudley logged a total of .75 miles on course and then I handed the controller over to Tavin (age 3) to finish off the pack. I'm not sure the mileage while Tavin was driving but he killed the pack and lets just say it wasn't easy driving (I'm going to guess he logged another .75 mile as he was driving for an hour after I handed the controls over)

Dudley didn't disappoint, not only did he run the course without incident, but he also showed my friend that his 3 year old son was ready for his first real R/C

A few pics to share

NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #209
RCC Addict

With the recent heat wave here in Utah I couldn't resist hitting one of the trails with Dudley and a friend.

We opted for Bell canyon as we would be hiking in the dark (damn winter getting dark at 5pm) so we wanted a close and familiar trail. The warm temps over the last few weeks had the trail totally clear without even a trace of snow, so we were able to make it further up the trail than we had planned. We decided to just head up the trail till our 1st packs were depleted then head back on the second pack. Turned out to be a nice hike and as long as we were moving the cold night air wasn't even noticable.

Dudley logged a total of 3.4 miles on this outting without incedent (the whole in the front housing is getting bigger but the ring and pinion just wont quit )

Sorry for the low quality pics, it was very dark and I at least wanted to grab a couple for you guys.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #210
Quarry Creeper

I was wondering how the hole was doing, as well as the ring and pinion. Sounds like it just won't die! I am glad to hear how durable these little rigs are. I know the SCX10 platform is proven and tough, but it's nice to see just how tough a stock rig can be.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #211
Quarry Creeper

Your thread is outstanding. I was going to get the Deadbolt for my 9 year old for Christmas but ended up getting the G6 wangler. After seeing this I think I'll be buying a Deadbolt for myself. Thanks for the great read!
Randy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #212
RCC Addict

Dudley made it out for another event.

This time we hit the rocks for 801rcc's "Whiskey Tango" event. The 801 events are always a blast and pull a great goup of fun loving people. The group really just enjoys getting out and playing with thier R/C's with others that share the same love for the hobby. The weather held out so we were able to enjoy the event without threat of winter dampening our fun.

The course was a tough one but Dudley likes a challenge. The course was a total of .6 miles and loaded with a veriety of obstacles that test every aspect of your rig. Dudley made it all the way through the course without any hickups, he did have a few nasty falls but the proven tough SCX10 was unfazed. All in all it was a great day with great people and fun times.

Pics from the day

Setting up the course and the group starting to gather

The Weather was perfect for some R/C fun

Looks like a good turnout

And Dudley making his way through the course

Old 01-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #213
Quarry Creeper

Great thread with good writing and pictures. I've enjoyed every page. Some more than once.

How are the tyres holding up? Are they getting worn? A closeup pic would be nice.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #214
Rock Crawler

Looks like a blast.Some good looking rigs too!
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #215
Quarry Creeper

Just read through the whole thread in one sitting... WOW!!! Awesome stories and (build)

Keep up the awesome work! I can't wait to get out with my new G6.
kingfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #216
RCC Addict

Thanks for all the compliments. This thread has been very fun. I can't wait for warmer temps so I get out with Dudley more regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
How are the tyres holding up? Are they getting worn? A closeup pic would be nice.
The tires are holding up quite well, tread wear is better than I expected. I think the rig being stock and so light really puts minimal wear on the tires compared to the heavily modified rigs. I did have one or two that started to debead, but no biggie (I'll try to get a closeup of the tires posted in the next few days)
Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #217
RCC Addict

With the January 801rcc event coming up. We headed out to Black Rock to check on the crawling conditions and to maybe clear some snow in prep of the following weekend. Dudley, for course, was eager to get in some play time. A bunch of RC's came out to enjoy the good weather that weekend.

The terrain at Black Rock is legendary for brutality, but the proven tough SCX10 ran without a single issue throughout the day. Dudley covered just .5 miles of distance but on some very challenging terrain that really tests the limits and durability of any rig.

The pics I got while we were out.

Dudley hitting the rocks solo. The fog was pretty thick on the way out but was starting to break as it warmed up

A few friends join in the fun.

One of the steep climbs that Dudley conquered

There was still plenty of snow to play in

And of course a little fun out on the beach

Old 01-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #218
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
...The tires are holding up quite well, tread wear is better than I expected. I think the rig being stock and so light really puts minimal wear on the tires compared to the heavily modified rigs. I did have one or two that started to debead, but no biggie (I'll try to get a closeup of the tires posted in the next few days)
Thread has been awesome, close up tire wear pics would be nice. Why the small pics last several posts? I like the larger pics.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #219
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Why the small pics last several posts? I like the larger pics.
Not sure. It happened after I upgraded my photobucket account. I guess that's how they save on bandwidth. I like the bigger pics too, just not sure how or if I can change it.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:02 AM   #220
RCC Addict

Dudley was back in action last weekend!!
It was the monthly 801rcc event, Rock Rail Express, held at Black Rock.
Black Rock is probably the closest "good" crawling spot to Slat Lake. You can catch R/C crawlers at this spot year round almost every weekend.

The terrain at Black rock has an incredible mix of big vert climbs, bolder fields, had pack gravel, and sand. The area near the beach is especially challenging as the terrain changes from loose sand to extremely high traction rock that has been washed by salt water for years. So it's a great venue for test and tune outings when you really need to find out how capable you rig is.

The course for the event was a brutal one and took it's toll on many rigs that came out. Dudley however was unfazed by the carnage and completed the course without any issues. I'm really starting to wonder if the front ring gear will ever fail, it's been getting packed with all kinds of dirt and debris for miles now.

Dudley logged .5 miles while out enjoying the event with friends and fellow crawlers.

Of course I grabbed a few pics

A pic from the road out to Black Rock

Great turn out!! Looks like a fun crowd.

Dudley making his way through some of the earlier challenges

Ran into some fellow 801rcc members shortly into the run

This guy (Chris) is a die hard G6er. Had surgery two days before the event and ran the whole course, with a little help from his friends (reminds me of a Beatles song) When the terrain was to rough for crutches or his wheelchair his friends would carry him over and set him on the rocks for that section of the course then carry him to the next when he could no longer see his rig. That is some great dedication and a fantastic group of friends.

As we neared the beach you could see traffic building up from the challenging terrain

A couple photos from the beach. I dunno Dudley might look hot in a bikini

After the beach was some of the most technical lines of the course

As we finished the course and our day on the rocks the setting sun made for a great back drop

Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new money? funny money robbio4422 Chit Chat 13 09-19-2010 05:30 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM