Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
Those axles look good in silver. I just picked up some black ones for my 10.2 as i already went the whole silver alloy route on my original 10
As far as i read, the original axle covers will fit as well, so that should mean all the aftermarket ones for standard axles will be compatible. That's looking good with the new body.
I'm guessing it wouldn't need trimming with the RTR transmission?

I don't know how the RTR trans fits, so I can't answer that. It will come down to where it sits in relation to the back of the cab and front of the bed..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
TrackAttack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

Ok, as I mentioned before, I am looking to add some weight to tip the center of gravity to my favor. The Xtra Speed axles added quite a bit, but I want to take it further. With that said, it’s time to add some brass to the lower suspension.

The parts for Beef Tubes are really nice. I like the idea that they are made here...(I know I have Chinese parts on the rig, guilty as charged... but I do prefer buying US parts when financially possible). One thing you will notice is the size of the Beef Patties (lower shock pieces). They are Huge!.. they are definitely the heavier parts of this mod..

Fit and finish are really nice. I had no issues with figment,as all bolted up nicely. One issue I did have is that the Beef Patties are so large that is interfered with the front panhard bar.

This was rectified by using a spacer to move the bar forward to clear the Beef Patty. Other than that, all a bolt up project taking no longer than 30 minutes.

Initial feel is that is did definitely add to the bottom end weight...

Next is to try it out and see what the results are wheeling it...

Joe

Old 09-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Nice one! I ordered alloy Xtra Speed link mounts to go with my Axles and some 200g brass Samix weights for the front and 160g Samix for the rear as well as the Samix brass shock cups.
I'd have went Beef Tubes as well but being outside the USA, Samix was cheaper for me.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Just a quick update on the results of the adding of the brass parts and the Extra Speed axles... It has changed the dynamics of the rig in a good way. Where I was toppling it at the slightest angle, it now holds itself enough to work with it to navigate the terrain. It feels a lot more planted and workable, where before, a single twitch would upend it. I’ll need to play with it more to really get a good feel for it, but adding the weight down low is paying off. I have ordered a set of the SSD brass knuckles (70gms each) so I am looking forward to adding that as well. Update to come once I get them...

Old 09-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

As stated before the stock diff covers fit in the xtra speed axles so after market ones should fit just get some beef tube ones good looking rig btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

I installed the SSD brass knuckles last night and all fit well. I did have to do some minor sanding to get the inner bearing to seat, but nothing major. The outer bearing was not a problem. Everything bolted up real nice. I also replaced some of the plastic balls with Vanquish brass balls while I had things apart..

Here are some pics to show you the size of these next to the stock parts..

You can tell there is a lot of heft with these installed.

You can definitely tell the difference in weight, and it does show out on the trail. I myself could tell that the rig felt much more planted, and was not tipping as easily like it did before. I had my friend try it out as well to get a second opinion, and he said it was a considerable improvement. So, with all of the improvements to get weight down low, it seems to have worked. Could there be further improvements, sure, and we will look into that in the future. At this point, I am happy with the current results, and will enjoy the XJ much more...
Some post photos from running the two rigs this afternoon...

We beat these things up pretty bad...I am surprised we don’t break more things that we do.....

Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Looks good I gata get me some of them knuckles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

Some new parts going on tomorrow...

Old 10-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Default TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

I got around to installing the new parts today. Pretty straight-forward with the exception of a fitment issue with the Vanquish servo arm. More on that later... pics tell the story..

The top is the stock plastic part. You can see that the SSD lockout is designed to accommodate the SSD weight. You put the hub on first and then the weight. Keep,in mind this will be one more thing to remove if you need to remove of tighten the hub set screw.

The weight does fit well inside a Vanquish Method 1.9 wheel.

The weight screws are countersunk, so no issues with wheel mounting.

One change I noticed on the front C hubs is the location where you tighten down the screws on the axle. The screw now sits downward where they maybe an opportunity for scraping of the screw head. Runtime will determine if this is an issue.

One plus of the rear weights is that they look like drum brakes through the wheels!

This is without a battery installed, but you can definitely see the weight affecting the tires (ProLine foams that came with the Flat Irons)... I leave them alone until I have some time on this to determine if I need to upgrade the foams... the upgrades never end, do they?

Last edited by TrackAttack!; 10-22-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

A quick run after mods...

I am happy!

Old 10-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #51
Rock Stacker

Bought the Axial rear cage for the Scx10 and looking to use it with the 66 Chevy truck cab.. it looks like I will need to adjust the rear links to fit the body and cage....

Cage after being painted wit Alcoa’s silver and backed with Fascolor black..

I also took this time this weekend to start cleaning up the electronics.. first attack was the ESC to motor..

I did cut off the 66 front bumper, as I expected that it would be an issue if I decided to go full off-road with this deal..

I love Aclad for chrome, but I am hearing there are some other options out there, what are you using?

Old 11-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Took the rigs out today.. My friend cleared out some more room to play around on... pics...

Added weight makes a difference....

Old 11-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Nice job! Looks like a fun area to run. I plan to add the ssd weight this winter and glad to see they work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

So, I decided I wanted to replace the shocks today.. not sure I am happy with them, as I went with a taller shock than stock. I installed a set of the ECX shocks on my Bomber, and am real happy with them that I decided to try a set on the XJ. Where the standard Axial shocks are ~ 90mm, these are ~110, so a lot more extended length.. This raises up the rig up quite a bit, and to me looks as to much lift. This helps with approach and departure angles, but affects COG... It also brings in an issue with the rear driveshaft rubbing the skid plate, which needs to be modified to allow clearance between the driveshaft and the skid plate. While doing all of this, I discovered that the SSD rear lockouts bind on the Xtra Speed axles. I am thinking this is an issue with the axles, and just filed down the axle to allow alleviate the binding.

This is where I had to file the axle in order to get rid of the binding. I did add the additional bearing in the axle, so this could be a reason for the binding..

I had to trim out the driveshaft clearance on the skid plate, as it was rubbing after adding the new shocks..

By the way, still working on the ‘66 body...

Old 11-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Okay, I ditched the ECX shocks, and also tried and ditched other 100mm options. Even though these add height, they take away COG and articulation. I went back to the kit Axial shocks after I rebuilt then and lubed them with
AE Green Slime. Live and learn...
The RC Run shocks I tried that I had from the Bomber shock days.. With the 100cm setup, these did now work..

Axial shocks back on...

Articulation back where it needs to be...

Old 11-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Looks better stock at 90mm. Sadily the stock shocks suck and leak 5 min into your run. Good work tho, like your truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

It’s been awhile since I have updated this thread... I have been working on the ProLine ‘66 Chevy body, and finally have some color on it. I went with a custom mix to create a goldish/copper pearl with a white back coat. The result is a nice metallic orange with gold metallic highlights when light hits it.. really happy with the result.

I am no pro when it comes to using an exacto knife to cut lines in liquid mask, but it came out okay for an RC body (scale model, I would not be happy).. I do love how the front end came out using Alclad II for the chrome. More practice with liquid mask and cutting skills hopefully gains better results..

I shortened the wheelbase using shorter Axial links and installed the Honcho rear tube frame. I did have to cut the front lower tube frame since this is the SCX10 II kit, and has the larger transmission.

Probably could have done a better job with the trimming, but it is what it is...

A shot of the cage:

Once again, Alclad II for the deck via airbrush and backed with black..

I did have to use Yeti front body posts to attach the body, as the front hood does sit higher than the XJ.

A shout out to my local hobby shop (Checkered Flag Hobby Country in St. Louis, Mo) for having the parts in stock!

I am not quite done with this project as I have some parts coming in soon, so I will update as things progress....

cheers!

Old 01-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

LOVING your build,brother,awesome attention to detail!
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

Default TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

Ok, I had a friend of mine that wanted to go the hobby shop this morning, and of course, I would not decline! The LHS that I went to does stock Vanquish parts, so I told myself that I would not leave empty handed..

I ended up getting the sliver shock towers and Atlas transfer case..

For those using the GPM inner fenders, you will need to trim them to fit the Vanquish shock towers. Not a lot, but it if you do not, they will push the body mounts outward..

The transfer case was a plug and play drop in, no mods needed.

I did also add new Wertymade WM-43 Truggy sliders as they are shorter that the stock Axial sliders.. reason for this is since I shortened the wheelbase, the stockers hit the back tires.

With the body installed...nice and tight!

What I really like about the sliders is that the have tabs that align the body with the sliders, making for that nice tight fit.

The body fits between the tabs and makes for a nice look, as well as a nice stable body on the chassis.

More to come, still waiting on parts......

Last edited by TrackAttack!; 01-28-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

As it sits.... waiting for parts...

TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TrackAttack's attempt at a Bomber build TrackAttack! Axial RR10 Bomber 14 02-17-2017 09:38 PM
1.9 wraith build or scx10 build? Cork Newbie General 13 06-08-2015 08:17 AM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Pinchflat's SCX10 "WTF am I going to build" Build. PinchFlat Axial SCX-10 99 10-09-2012 12:59 PM
SCX10 build godofcable Axial SCX-10 1 09-20-2011 09:54 PM