Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thr

Well,

I am reviving an old thread/build! This thing has been sitting in a nicely made cabinet in the dark since I last posted unfortunately. However, it was only a temporary hiatus. I am happy to say that I have just recently ordered several parts for this build. Here is what I have ordered:

-DLUX Fab CF v-cut beadlock rims with VP hubs (they will be wrapped in Silver Dot VooDoo tires which arrived shortly after my last post)
-3.5" Big Bores (modified by DLUX Fab: lathed bodies, cap mod, no preload shock cups with mini t-springs)
-Titanium Link Sliders
-Titanium steering link
-Titanium Tie Rod
-Revo Rod ends
-Crawler Innovation foams (Double Deuce, 5.5" with soft, medium and firm outers)
-New XR10 front and rear axles (to start fresh from the used ones I originally received)
-Rowdy Racing Servo Armour
-Rowdy Racing battery covered mount

I will post pictures once everything arrives. I am quite excited to start this "old" project again. If I am correct, all that will be left after this is the electronics. So, I am looking for some feedback.

-Any comments/thoughts/suggestions on the parts that I just ordered with regards to setup, etc?
-Can the experts chime in on some electronics? I was looking at Holmes Hobbies motors and Torquemaster BR mini dual but I am not sure. I want to get some high ends electronics for this project. I would need specific motor recommendations (how many turn, etc) and ESC/BEC recommendation, etc. It sounds like the BR mini dual is quite nice but needs an external BEC? Anyway, I will leave it to you experts to help me out again as you have before. As always, your responses are much appreciated.

Last edited by cormier33; 06-16-2014 at 11:43 AM.
cormier33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Default Re: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thr

Sweet good to see you back at this.
Nice list of goods you got coming.
almost thought you gave up.

As for the electronic's
The dual BR mini for your ESC'S

For Motors
either Holmes 400 or 500
Or Brood

Either company you will be happy with more of a personal thing when it comes to motors.

But I will say this if money is a issue then Holmes will be your best bet but if you got money to burn go Brood.
As I got both of my 500 for one of my brothers Brood motors

But with that said I think the Brood motors have more punch from what I have seen between my brothers truck and mine.

Last edited by chevotafun; 06-16-2014 at 11:58 AM.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply! Nope, still kicking around. Just haven't been productive on the build! Haha

Do I have to get external BEC's for the BR mini?

Also, HH 400 or 500. I see several options? Which would be an excellent motor to throw in? How many turns? Endbell set up? Etc.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Ahah, there you are.

As Mike mentioned, BR Minis are the ticket, and yes, you still need a BEC.
I certainly recommend Holmes Puller motors. Mike's running 500T Flow 30T Pullers, but the crawl type 500T's are a few grams lighter and you can run any of the 13-20T versions. I don't think you can go wrong with the 16T.

If you have some time this weekend, come and see us at Ioco Sunday and we can show you what we're running. Could answer most of your questions.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I just recently bought a set of Holmes Hobbies 13T Team CRAWL motors for my xr10 axles, and could not believe how insanely powerful they are all while having the most controllable strength I have ever experienced. I have 7 or 8 RC's and I will be replacing every motor in each one (Except my Summit) with the exact motor!
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Contact winnerone23. He will help you choose the right motor for you, as well as hook you up with some br mini's. Nothing better than having everything ready to go when you receive it.
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

The BR duall is the way to go. It is all done by Holmes so you don't have to worry about getting it right. I have the 500 pullers in 13t and love them. The smaller diameter and light weight are really nice and the power and speed are outstanding. Mr Holmes said recently that the 16t was the best balance but you can't go wrong with any of them. Just order in advance of needing them as they can take a little while to get. Mine took just over a month to get.

You should run a BEC with any ESC so don't let that affect your decision.

Last edited by Session; 06-17-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Wow glad to see you back at er!!! Come out this sunday have a look at what were doing and ask as many questions as you like!
ESC's go with the br mini's and a castle bec
Motors well I run IMO the best motor out there the stubbies from Team Brood! Insane power and incredible start up! Worth every cent! But on the cheap check out his vapors! Very good motor as well or right in between them is the conflux. Contact Eddie at Brood and he will point you in the right direction! I like the fact the motors are made specifically for me and not a one size fits all approach!
If you have anymore questions ask away!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Well, most all of the parts have arrived. The only thing outstanding is my Rowdy Racing parts, which I am looking forward to getting

***Not counting any electronics of course which I have yet to order.

I am a bit disappointed with a purchase from the classifieds I made (DLUX CF rims and CF backs). IIRC, they were advertised as new and....well, as you can see, the damage is a bit more than just cosmetic. I have contacted the seller and am hoping that we come to a resolution.

While I was at it, I ordered some new XR10 axles (front and rear) to clean things up a bit.
Attached Images

Last edited by cormier33; 06-23-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Sorry I missed you guys this Sunday Mammoth. It was my only day off this week so just wasn't going to happen. I will get out one of these days
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Well, some more progress has been made on this build. Nothing major because I've been tight on time but I did manage to get the tires put together. I mounted the Voodoo Silver dot tires on the DLUX FAB CF beadlock rims. I used Crawler Innovations "double deuce" foams (soft for the front, medium for the rear) as my initial setup.

Also, some big progress on parts! ELECTRONICS!!! and I have winnerone23 to thank.....big time! (and Hittman for pointing me in his direction). Winnerone23 helped me put together a great package and is helping customize/piecing it together for me. I am taken aback by how helpful he has been and, really, how helpful everyone seems to be on this site. Here is the parts list, pictures will follow once all the goodies arrive:

-Holmes Hobbies 13T 500 pullers (x2)
-Holmes Hobbies Dual BR mini
-Holmes Hobbies Servo
-Castle Creations 10amp BEC (set to 8.4v, thanks again Troy)
-4x 500mah 50C 3S LiPo batteries with mini-t connectors
-2x CF motor protectors made by Troy (winnerone23)

I can't wait until everything arrives. Please let me know what you all think. Also, it seems the only thing I will need now is a nice Tx. I am trying to decide on one that would be good for a total newb. Futaba 4PL, Futaba 4PK, Spektrum D4S, Spektrum D4R (I have temporary use of a Tx from my brother for now but am researching other possibilities for some time down the line).

Also, the issue I had with the DLUX Fab CF rims was quickly sorted out by the seller and I. He is a great guy and it truly was just a miscommunication.

That's it for now.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the kind words good sir!

Now, as ur choosing a tx.. Give the airtronics MT-4 a look.. Amazingly easy radio to setup and No Button Pushing!!!!!!!!!!!
The simplest and Smoothest tx on the market! The Only thing that gives a guy smoother operating/crawlability, would be a stick radio!

It has a thumb knob for ur trigger hand. It does All the dig, burn, and motor mixing!

At center, it's 4wd. Rotate it up, it's dig/burn. Rotate it down, it's burn/dig.. Anywhere in between is motor mixing...
And for 200$ with a rx, is a cheap option. It's small, light and built in antenna that you won't ever worry about breaking off...
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
...It has a thumb knob for ur trigger hand. It does All the dig, burn, and motor mixing!

At center, it's 4wd. Rotate it up, it's dig/burn. Rotate it down, it's burn/dig.. Anywhere in between is motor mixing...
I like that idea. A no-brainer proportional..for those of us that are all thumbs.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Thanks for the kind words good sir!

Now, as ur choosing a tx.. Give the airtronics MT-4 a look.. Amazingly easy radio to setup and No Button Pushing!!!!!!!!!!!
The simplest and Smoothest tx on the market! The Only thing that gives a guy smoother operating/crawlability, would be a stick radio!

It has a thumb knob for ur trigger hand. It does All the dig, burn, and motor mixing!

And for 200$ with a rx, is a cheap option. It's small, light and built in antenna that you won't ever worry about breaking off...
I have a 4pl,but wanted a MT-4. From what I've read and my experience I still want an MT-4.
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

winnerone23, you've got me wanting an airtronics. I see the MT-4 and was also looking at the MT-4S. I like it because of the backlit screen and quicker response. Not sure if its more than I would need though and worth the extra $$$$. Would either work with my setup? There is a warning about some servos (analog, etc) not being able to handle the incredibly fast response times.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I haven't looked at the "S"..
I haven't had any issue with the Hitec or HH servo's I use..
These tx's aren't new on the market, so maybe it's old info? I don't think many servo's are analog anymore?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Well, I finally had an opportunity to tear my used axles completely apart, swap in new axial axles, clean everything up, relube and repack them. I am quite happy with the results. I ended up using tri-flow lube which I've heard really good things about. I also added the VP SLW hubs.

One bad bit of news is the Chaotic Crawlers 3/16" Titanium steering tie rod is too short :( not sure if that was an issue people were having or not, but as you can see on the pictures, the rod ends are barely threaded in and the wheels are not even quite straight yet. I will send a quick message to them but not sure how lucky I will be as we all know they are closed now.

Enjoy the pictures.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Not sure how your tierod would be too short...I've used Chaotic's before without issue, although I use VP's Wraith knuckles (single arm).
Anyway, you can always use Jato rod ends...they're longer.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Jato rod ends should do the trick for you!!
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

That's Not a Chaotic tie rod.. No way, no shape..
I've had/have half a dozen of them. Straight, bent, and 1/8"..
It could be a VP one tho. If you put jato ends on it and it's perfect, it's VP.
Unless you bought it from Chaotic urself? Maybe a fluke.. If you got it second hand, it was bad info that it was Chaotic..
Best bet, get 2 jato links ends and give that a shot.

Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hittman's SMASH Build Hittman Axial XR10 994 02-28-2015 09:21 AM
Chaotic Smash/Dlux Superlite axle build thread Chaotic Crawlers EnRoute Berg 146 04-21-2014 08:43 AM
***Paystin go Smash*** paystin Axial XR10 136 02-10-2014 08:43 PM
Ricky's Smash Build... Ricky G EnRoute Berg 15 09-05-2013 10:49 PM
Electronics smash showtime90 Axial XR10 8 05-20-2013 09:49 PM