Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
That's Not a Chaotic tie rod.. No way, no shape..
I've had/have half a dozen of them. Straight, bent, and 1/8"..
It could be a VP one tho. If you put jato ends on it and it's perfect, it's VP.
Unless you bought it from Chaotic urself? Maybe a fluke.. If you got it second hand, it was bad info that it was Chaotic..
Best bet, get 2 jato links ends and give that a shot.
I bought it directly from Chaotic (after they shut down, I contacted the vendor on this site and he had one left and was nice enough to sell it to me). I will try the Jato ends but I was wondering if maybe there was a mix up for it to be that short?
cormier33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thr

They are correct you just need to replace the ends and you will be fine. We all run them or most of us
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
They are correct you just need to replace the ends and you will be fine. We all run them or most of us
That solves that then. I will look for some long Jato ends at the LHS
Old 06-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Not sure what's closer but Pit Stop should have they if not Future Shop will as they sell traxxas stuff now
Old 06-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier33 View Post
I bought it directly from Chaotic (after they shut down, I contacted the vendor on this site and he had one left and was nice enough to sell it to me). I will try the Jato ends but I was wondering if maybe there was a mix up for it to be that short?
I stand corrected.. Hmmm..

I'm not sure then. Maybe it's for stock Knuckle's?
I know they sold 2 types, depending on brand of Knuckle's. VP Knuckle's and other Knuckle's.
Glad you posted..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I stand corrected.. Hmmm..

I'm not sure then. Maybe it's for stock Knuckle's?
I know they sold 2 types, depending on brand of Knuckle's. VP Knuckle's and other Knuckle's.
Glad you posted..
That's probably what it was. I must have got the one for the stock knuckles. Ah well, the Jato ends will sort that out
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Well, progress is continuing. Today I was able to attach all of the beautiful Chaotic Crawler Ti links so that my CC Smash chassis could finally be joined to my axles.

After a few frustrating moments, I realized that the only way I was going to get the lower front links to fit into the front axle was to trim the Revo ends a bit. So, after a bit of careful sanding to allow a bit more clearance, they fit quite perfect. A question for the experts, was this a fix for awhile? Or was I the only one having issues with the revo ends fitting the stock XR10 axles?

I added 30wt oil to the beautiful modified Traxxas big bores that DLUX Fab sent me. I would like some input from guys that have a similar setup. I realize there are a 1000 different answers as to what weight you can use but if anyone has some information or input to add, it would be appreciated. I also mounted the shocks and it wasn't until that moment that I realized the CC chassis kit doesn't come with screws to mount the shocks

Unfortunately, the LHS's are closed, the local hardware stores didn't have anything and I even checked Future Shop (thanks for the advice) but they only had the nuts, no screws/bolts in stock in Langley. Ah well, later this week it will be

Here are some more pictures. For the experts, please pay attention to the link positions/angles and let me know if I could do anything to improve or correct my install. As a side, the Ti link sliders are not held in place yet, they are just being held in place by friction until I am satisfied with the build.
Attached Images

Last edited by cormier33; 06-29-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:24 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Really excited to watch this build. What a great compilation of parts. Winnerone23 will have all the answers in your previous post regarding link positions. :cool:
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #49
RCC Addict

The truck is coming along very nice.
Can't wait to see it at one of our comps
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Yes great job, now we need to get her finished so you can come comp with us. hats the best way to tune it is on the rocks.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Well, she's officially a roller now

I went to a not so local "LHS" that was opened today and they had all the hardware/parts I needed. Needless to say I am quite happy.

They had the extra long Jato rod ends which was exactly what my Ti steering tie rod needed.

They had the M3 screws I needed to mount my shocks to the CC smash chassis and lots of 4-40 screws to mount my wheels to the hubs

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure/critique.

My first thoughts are to reverse the rear upper links as I noticed slight pressure against the springs during full compression (full compression only during a full twist..if that makes sense). But, then I thought that lowering them one or two holes to be more even with the front upper links could solve that issue.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Well, the kids let me have a few moments and I just couldn't let this go. I moved the rear upper link mount down two notches (to match the front) and then slightly bent the rear lower links out about an 1/8" inch. Then I tested full articulation and after a couple of tries, I've got unrestricted, full articulation. The only thing that stops it is when the shocks bottom out

Now, just waiting on those electronic goodies that winnerone23 is doing up for me! Pretty excited.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #53
RCC Addict

You'll probably find you'll need to lower the links even more. Also lower the chassis some, it looks very high. Possibly by internally limiting the shocks and/or laying them back a notch.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Your upper rear links are way high. I think you may be in the cab holes.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input guys. Ok, I lowered the rear upper links and moved the shock mounting positions by two holes each. Not sure if that's too much but it seems to look much better and sits at 6 1/4" in height now. More pictures for visual reference:
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Looks low and mean. Wait till you see what this thing will do on the rocks. You're gonna love it! I have a Switch, but wish I had a Smash.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Well, the cab was designed to have more of a forward lean to it. This sets the skid at a bit of an angle upwards at the rear. So, you may have to move the rear shocks back a notch and limit the fronts a tad. Also, use a heatgun and bend the front and rear parts of the skid upwards. This will help not to get 'em snagged.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

Well, the cab was designed to have more of a forward lean to it. This sets the skid at a bit of an angle upwards at the rear. So, you may have to move the rear shocks back a notch and limit the fronts a tad. Also, use a heatgun and bend the front and rear parts of the skid upwards. This will help not to get 'em snagged.
Thanks for the advice Solitaire. I ended up changing the back first and it ended up putting my height at just over 7"....so I decided to put it back and drop the front a bit. This way I got my 6 1/4" height and I have the forward slope you were talking about

I also took the heat gun to the skid and modified it like you suggested. Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #59
RCC Addict

I copied a pic from Farmertom's build thread to show the slant of the skid. Pretty well inline with the rake of the front portion of the rear lowers.This helps with the transition from skid to rear lowers. Notice also how the top of the cab is barely over the top of the tires. Nice and low CG.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the picture reference Solitaire. It puts things into perspective. I had both upper links on the highest VP link mounting position possible. I duplicated Farmertom's setup and moved them. The front is now in the middle position and the rear is in the lowest position.

Aside from that I haven't made any changes. I am hoping my 3.5" Traxxas Big Bores aren't the issue but I am guessing I will have to internally limit them as you have suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
I copied a pic from Farmertom's build thread to show the slant of the skid. Pretty well inline with the rake of the front portion of the rear lowers.This helps with the transition from skid to rear lowers. Notice also how the top of the cab is barely over the top of the tires. Nice and low CG.

Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hittman's SMASH Build Hittman Axial XR10 994 02-28-2015 09:21 AM
Chaotic Smash/Dlux Superlite axle build thread Chaotic Crawlers EnRoute Berg 146 04-21-2014 08:43 AM
***Paystin go Smash*** paystin Axial XR10 136 02-10-2014 08:43 PM
Ricky's Smash Build... Ricky G EnRoute Berg 15 09-05-2013 10:49 PM
Electronics smash showtime90 Axial XR10 8 05-20-2013 09:49 PM