Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
Also have you switche to some scx10 shocks yet? If you want to try a pair for comparison I have an extra set.
Awesome offer!! A good way to loose a set of scx shocks tho.. ;) cause once Adam puts them on, he Won't take them back off!

This rig/chassis was meant for them, IMO...

As stated above.. Semi droop type setup is the way to go, atleast on mine.

I get a ½" space between my shocks an preload spring collar on the rear shocks and ¼" on the front.
I also run a long axial link end on the rear shocks.
2½" belly clearance at ride height and 4" belly clearance on break over's!

Love it!!

I just got the servo back for it from Hitec. Right now I'm only using it for electronics wiring mach up for someone... :cool:
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Awesome offer!! A good way to loose a set of scx shocks tho.. ;) cause once Adam puts them on, he Won't take them back off!

This rig/chassis was meant for them, IMO...

As stated above.. Semi droop type setup is the way to go, atleast on mine.

I get a ½" space between my shocks an preload spring collar on the rear shocks and ¼" on the front.
I also run a long axial link end on the rear shocks.
2½" belly clearance at ride height and 4" belly clearance on break over's!

Love it!!

I just got the servo back for it from Hitec. Right now I'm only using it for electronics wiring mach up for someone... :cool:
I'm sure I would love the scx's.....it's more my stubbornness and the money I spent on getting my big bores all customized that is holding me back from buying some scx's right away

2 1/2" belly clearance is pretty sweet!

As for the smash chassis being used to measure electronics for someone...glad you are putting it to use! Haha I can't wait to see some pictures of the customizing you have been doing for me!
cormier33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thr

Lol.. My stubbornness/cheapness keeps me from running Anything else.. They have proven themselves time and time again.
Plenty of video's of my SMASH in my build thread.. Feel free to see how the shocks work, along with the Br mini's and HH 13t 500 puller's.. ;)

It was a perfect platform to get some electronics done..

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1406261329145.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1406261339227.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  63.0 KB

Will be getting them out asap for you Adam!
Can't wait to read ur initial thoughts when you first hit the rocks!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Wow!!!! Troy, I couldn't be happier with that fine craftsmanship!!! Everything looks so neat and clean! I can't wait to get my hands on everything. Talk about 'plug n' play' ease for a newb

Thanks again for all the guidance/help you have provided. You are truly an asset to this hobby. Much appreciated!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Alright, time for another update on this build

As you can all see, electronics are coming along well and will be on their way shortly (HH dual BR mini's, Castle BEC smashed into the ESC's, HH 500 puller crawler motors, HH brushless servo).

I have ordered the last bit of parts to complete this build. Once everything arrives, I will be sure to post pics and eventually some video. I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for all the assistance throughout this build. Here is the last bit of parts (who am I kidding? I mean last for the initial build!):

-Spektrum DX4R Pro Tx w/ Rx's
-14t Robinson Racing Pinions (xtra hard)
-AHZ aluminum hard anodized servo horn
-Dlux Fab width spacers for CF beadlock wheels (to bring my wheels to 1")

I'm pretty excited to get this thing going. The reason for the Spektrum was because I have 5 other rigs with Spektrum Rx's in them.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Question everyone:

I got the xtra hard Robinson racing pinions (14t) for my setup. However, they are the slightly larger 5mm shaft one and I got the 5mm to 1/8" collar reducer to make them work on the HH 1/8" shaft. Will this work? Or is this too much spinning mass?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #87
RCC Addict

After scx10 shocks I went back to big bore. Used shorter shock shaft. Team Associated. Then used short traxxas rod end bam perfect height.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Hey get tis thing finished up its comp weekend again on Sunday. We hope to see you out there bright and early. lol Well hope you can make it
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Billy D, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As luck would have it, everything else for my build arrived today (electronics, servo horns, etc).

However, there is a big hold up right now. My Castle BEC has been smashed into the HH Dual BR Mini's but still needs to be programmed. I've been having a hell of a time. I know the Castle Link program and link itself works as I used it to update the 2 BR Mini's. However, the Castle BEC won't show up when I plug it into my computer. The green light on the BEC comes on when I plug the link into it and also when I plug the battery into it. However, the light on the Castle link itself remains red.

Can anyone please provide assistance? This is so frustrating!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Are u running the most recent software? I had the same problem with the wife's the other day. Close out the program and unplug the usb and reload, wait till its loaded then plug it all back in and start again. You can also use the drop down menu at the top to select the BEC.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

I suggested the software as well..
Didn't know about closing out the program and reloading it tho. Good info!

I feel crappy as well.. I set one.. Had 2 sitting on my bench.. Brand new one with factory settings got wired in.. Doh!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #92
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier33 View Post
Billy D, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As luck would have it, everything else for my build arrived today (electronics, servo horns, etc).

However, there is a big hold up right now. My Castle BEC has been smashed into the HH Dual BR Mini's but still needs to be programmed. I've been having a hell of a time. I know the Castle Link program and link itself works as I used it to update the 2 BR Mini's. However, the Castle BEC won't show up when I plug it into my computer. The green light on the BEC comes on when I plug the link into it and also when I plug the battery into it. However, the light on the Castle link itself remains red.

Can anyone please provide assistance? This is so frustrating!!!
If your really stuck I only live in Cloverdale. You can either bring it over or I can meet you and I'll fix you up! Then you won't have any reason not to attend on Sunday! Let me know!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

I tried reloading with the software. It says there are no updates, unplugged everything, reset and still nothing when plugged into the BEC (again, when plugged into the BR mini's it works fine).

When the BEC is connected and I try to do anything with it, it says: "no controller or invalid controller connected."

I haven't done anything else yet, like program the ESC's (which I will also need help with) or anything else. Should I try to do that maybe? Bind the Rx, etc?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

No yu should PM Mammoth as he will get you all sorted out.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

PM sent
Old 08-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Alright guys,

Today/tonight was a lesson learned about electronics and problems with them that can occur. I guess several of us in the hobby experience it....why didn't anyone give me the heads up though!?!?!?

So, Mammoth (Randy) tossed his night out the window to come over and help a guy he's never met before so that he could enjoy the hobby. Randy, I sincerely appreciate you doing that. Thank you very much!

Randy gave the electronics a once over and we determined that the Castle BEC was faulty. So, he tore the electronics apart and programmed the new BEC for 8.4V (worked right away) and smashed it into the dual ESC's. I was happy to have the opportunity to see the handy solder work and have an appreciation for the people that put these together.

So, then we hooked everything up. The way the BEC is smashed into the ESC's, the servo plugs directly into the BEC and the BEC plugs into the Rx (minus the red power wire of course). Then, one of the ESC's was plugged into the THR (without the red wire removed) and the other ESC was plugged into AUX2 with the red wire removed.

Well, the steering servo would not work. It does however work when we plugged it directly into the Rx.

Then, only one ESC/Motor (the front) would work and could be programmed. At one point the rear motor "chimed" when plugged in but it has yet to actually activate. We have tried several combinations (switching positions in the Rx, red power wire switch between ESC's, etc) but nothing would work to get both sets of wheels moving. Also, the Tx was confused and thought it was the rear moving when in fact it was the front axle. Of course, that may just be Tx confused. I can confirm that the front motor was hooked properly to the front axle and the rear to the rear axle (as per HH/Troy's markings).

So, I'm stuck. Tonight I will try to play around with it a bit more based on some feedback I get and a little extra time as Randy and I were working on it until quite late in the evening.

Failing that, I may have to bring it to a LHS for some help? Man........what a headache!

Anyway, I thought I would at least add a picture of the electronics and last bit of parts I had laid out after receiving them.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

I can only imagine how frustrating this must be. I doubt the LHS is going to be able help. The greatest minds of these setups are right here. Maybe your new buddy Randy can figure it out with a fresh start. Good luck. Electronics is black magic voodoo to me. I haven't a clue, just glad mine work.
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

What radio system do you have?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Not sure the lhs are going to be able to help. I am sure we will be able to sort it all out. I told you are group was fantastic and full of people just wanting to help each other out. And we are so proud that he will be representing us all at Nationals. We will try and sort this out so we can see you on Sunday.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Spektrum DX4R Pro Tx with the 4 channel SR410 DSMR Rx

Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hittman's SMASH Build Hittman Axial XR10 994 02-28-2015 09:21 AM
Chaotic Smash/Dlux Superlite axle build thread Chaotic Crawlers EnRoute Berg 146 04-21-2014 08:43 AM
***Paystin go Smash*** paystin Axial XR10 136 02-10-2014 08:43 PM
Ricky's Smash Build... Ricky G EnRoute Berg 15 09-05-2013 10:49 PM
Electronics smash showtime90 Axial XR10 8 05-20-2013 09:49 PM