Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #201

Default Re: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

Conflict your rig looks nice. Those 3.5's will give your truck an entirely different look and feel. I love bb's. Do u know of dlux fab's lathe mod he does to them? They will drop wieght and have sweet raw aluminum look.
I have to ask what upper link mounts are those? I searched this thread but can't find it. Thanks!
Stvnoo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #202
Quarry Creeper

Stvnoo86: Thanks for the compliment. I do know of the Dlux lathe mod, right now I am not really worried about weight. That will come around at some point in time though. The upper link mounts are VP mounting bases with 5th. Dimension uppers. They are simply amazing and give you tremendous mounting possibilities. I bought them from a forum member on here that drives for 5th Dimension, if you are interested PM me if you can't find any information and I will set you up with the guy I bought them from and we'll see if we can get you a set of them.
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #203

Thanx for the info. I would like to get these the only problem is i only have vanquish upper link mount on my front axle and can't find the rear axle upper mount anywhere unless i buy both in a set. Then i'm left with an extra front mount. I guess i will search the classifieds when i qualify.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #204
Quarry Creeper

To be honest XR10 VP parts are in pretty high demand right now. If you can find a front and rear set you could purchase them and then sell the extra front one to replace some of that money. I know that several folks would buy them quickly.

Also you can become qualified on the forum by purchasing a star. I did when I first joined mainly to get access to the classifieds, but with knowing know how much help is in these forums and all the good guys here so willing to help, I would purchase a star again in a heartbeat just to do my part to help keep this forum alive. Just a thought my friend.

If there is anything else I can help you with just let me know.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #205
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvnoo86 View Post
Conflict your rig looks nice. Those 3.5's will give your truck an entirely different look and feel. I love bb's. Do u know of dlux fab's lathe mod he does to them? They will drop wieght and have sweet raw aluminum look.
I have to ask what upper link mounts are those? I searched this thread but can't find it. Thanks!
Here's the link mount...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...lable-now.html
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
To be honest XR10 VP parts are in pretty high demand right now. If you can find a front and rear set you could purchase them and then sell the extra front one to replace some of that money. I know that several folks would buy them quickly.

Also you can become qualified on the forum by purchasing a star. I did when I first joined mainly to get access to the classifieds, but with knowing know how much help is in these forums and all the good guys here so willing to help, I would purchase a star again in a heartbeat just to do my part to help keep this forum alive. Just a thought my friend.

If there is anything else I can help you with just let me know.
Now I cant find where those were at for the life of me. Oh well I guess.
Your right I will buy a star.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #207
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Cboggs: Thanks for finding and sharing that link!

Stvnoo86: Thanks for buying the star. I'm not a moderator or anything, I am just a guy that received more help than I ever expected to get. I appreciate you supporting the forum the way you did. Every bit helps. Again, if there's anything I can do for you just let me know.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #208
Quarry Creeper

Well guys I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I've been out running the hell out of this crawler. I can probably say I have comfortably 80 packs or so through it. I'm loving every minute of it too. One thing that I would like to try to get some help with now is: What is the best way to keep the nose more on the ground? When I climb up and over walls & breaks this thing likes to fall backwards to easily. Now I don't have a lot of experience to know if where I am at is good now or not but I am willing to try whatever tricks there are to keep the nose planted better on the ground. I read something about setting up the upper links to a certain position to help to keep the nose down. Also there is something about moving the weights around. So any help or advice would be great. What have you guys done on yours to keep the nose planted?

I have 3 full sets of tires that I am going to do a complete test on. I bought a set of cut n shut pin style tires, a set of Pitbull Rockbeasts, and then a set of HPI Rock Grabbers. Once I get my rig to be more predictable I am going to set up a course on my property and run each set of tires to find out what I come up with.

Here's a picture of the tires that I am going to run, the rim and tire on the right is there because I am going to run that rim with the cut n shut tires, then a picture of my already scared up new crawler. The new scratches make a great paint scheme
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #209

The RCBROS knuckle weights are great. Helps tons
Jcozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #210
Quarry Creeper

I already have VP knuckle weights though.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #211
RCC Addict

Share a side shot.
If you raise your front uppers one hole at the chassis you'll get more forward bite. Try softer shocks. I've always like mini t pinks. and 20 -30 wt oil.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #212
Quarry Creeper

I will have my wife send me a picture and will post here in a few Curcal. I have 25 wt oil in all 4 shocks now. The shocks seem to work well, maybe the springs are a bit too stiff at times because they seem to not want to droop at times or flex when I need them too. I will order another set of the Losi mini T and give the pink ones a run for their money.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #213
Quarry Creeper

Here is the side shot of my XR, I had my wife take the picture for my, it's kind of hard to see but both the upper link mounts on the axles are VP's and are on the very top hole each.

I have been trying to make my own link's, but I am struggling horribly. More time and bit more knowledge and I SHOULD be in business. I bought a small hand held bender that seems to work well, I just need to figure out the whole tapping part so that I can actually finish my links after I bend them.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #214

What type of shocks are you running with those with orange mini t springs?

Last edited by ryanster1999; 03-24-2014 at 09:04 AM.
ryanster1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #215
Quarry Creeper

They are traxxas big bore 3.5's, with the Jeepin Doug cups and mini T springs.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #216
5th D Owner/Driver

Can you put shorter rod ends on the shocks, they look really long. Also those are some stiff springs, try the pinks. What is your ground clearance at? Lowering the car will help a lot. Try making some simple straight upper links in the rear and bringing them down on the chassis. Your older pics looked like a better set up than what you got going now.

Last edited by cboggs; 03-24-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #217
Pebble Pounder

What is your ground clearance? Remember several pages back where I got schooled about having like 3.25" - 3.5" from skid to ground. Looks more like 5" in that photo.

Is it that high ?
J5races is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #218
Quarry Creeper

The front lower link mount bolt is right at 3 1/8" and the rear is a tad less than 3 1/2". Now that I look at that picture I see its at a horrible angle. But the ground clearance is right around the 3" mark so I am happy with that.

cboggs: You say put the straight uppers back on. I really want to go back to that route but with the straight links I was having a lot of interference with the links hitting the rear brace, and also hitting the outside edges of the chassis. When I put those crooked links on it gave me a lot more travel. I will be receiving my link material in today, I bought 12 foot worth so I'm sure I should have enough metal to screw up before I figure out a good set of uppers. So when I go to make my links I want to keep the upper chassis side links as low down into the chassis as I can?

All these tips are going to be huge when I start trying to make my own links today..

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Conflict; 03-25-2014 at 07:26 AM. Reason: dunno ow ta spel
Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #219
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
The front lower link mount bolt is right at 3 1/8" and the rear is a tad less than 3 1/2". Now that I look at that picture I see its at a horrible angle. But the ground clearance is right around the 3" mark so I am happy with that.

cboggs: You say put the straight uppers back on. I really want to go back to that route but with the straight links I was having a lot of interference with the links hitting the rear brace, and also hitting the outside edges of the chassis. When I put those crooked links on it gave me a lot more travel. I will be receiving my link material in today, I bought 12 foot worth so I'm sure I should have enough metal to screw up before I figure out a good set of uppers. So when I go to make my links I want to keep the upper chassis side links as low down into the chassis as I can?

All these tips are going to be huge when I start trying to make my own links today..

Thanks guys!
I would start with your rear uppers one hole above what your front is set at, there is too much seperation between the front and back which is more than likely causing you to flip backwards. The links hitting the chassis/cross brace is pretty normal and can actually help limit some of that travel, otherwise you'll be putting limiters inside/outside the shocks.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #220
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
I would start with your rear uppers one hole above what your front is set at, there is too much seperation between the front and back which is more than likely causing you to flip backwards. The links hitting the chassis/cross brace is pretty normal and can actually help limit some of that travel, otherwise you'll be putting limiters inside/outside the shocks.
Copy, I'll give that a try. THANKS!!

Am I too late to get into XR10 comping? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many are still comping...... brettd Axial XR10 14 02-05-2013 09:21 AM
anyone comping 1.9 anymore metalking Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-15-2012 10:42 AM
Getting into comping. New XR10 neoakaj Axial XR10 11 11-08-2011 10:42 AM
XR-10 or AX-10 for comping minnesotamudder Newbie General 20 09-01-2010 08:15 PM
Comping w/ R1 (anyone) snwchris G-Made Crawlers 6 08-06-2010 12:42 PM