Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Robbobs Not reinventing the wheel ........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #301
RCC Addict

Default Re: Robbobs Not reinventing the wheel ........

Nice write up bro! I cant wait til I can get up with some of you guys come NENC or maybe some at ECC? I agree with that lineuo of drivers just makin to finals is awesome...but I hear u no slop yourself! Congrats
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #302
Custom Carbon Fiber

Idle hands and wandering thoughts sometimes come up with interesting things .......... actually about 30 sets of interesting things given out for trying at the RI comp.

Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #303
Custom Carbon Fiber

Finals run from the Monster Showdown in Rhode Island .......... damn it was windy!

https://youtu.be/qYH8MM0tSOI

Old 05-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #304
Rock Crawler

That course was fun to watch everybody run on!!! Your Dominator is working great! Nice job at the Showdown.
blandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #305
Rock Crawler

Nice driving Bob.
Krawler Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #306
Custom Carbon Fiber

Ok so I had a whole big Robbob style write up done on changes ........ and poof Chrome Crashed. Damn You Google! So you're gonna get the shorthand of it now .........

Truck has been great - Driver has been dumb - Driver has learned from mistakes made at last local comp - Driver has made changes.

Ugh ....

So first change was the belly. I really wanted to do what other team mates have done and angle the skid up on my truck for some time now. Every time I tried it I got some funky feel to the truck. I lost wheelbase and it had a bounce up after burning and driving 4wheel. It took some tinkering but I figured out what the cause was and got the belly settled in. And so happy I did.

At ride height

At full droop

The next thing was the one I hate ..... shocks. Ive had what has felt like the hardest time finding a setup I like. Ive tried my old oils and the springs didnt agree. Ive tried the heavy rears like others say and the truck felt lazy. So it was time to really throw some swings at this and toss our tuner Set of pistons in the mix.

For those wondering how they match up to the Axial machined ones heres a picture of our Green 3 notch next to a machined one. Yes we are a little bigger for more flow.

Wanting a quicker rear feel but a harder initial impact I decided on Yellow for the rear and Green for the front

And for oils I went up a little from my old build thread to start .... 55 rear 40 front

After filling - bleeding - capping the shocks off with new bladders I felt good about them just in my hands.

One other thing I found was shock angles, straight vs angled inboard, and how it changed the feel to the truck. For me I felt the straighter up and down they were the harder they felt .... slower articulation. Laying them in at the chassis smoothened them out and made them feel softer. Not remembering what my old trucks were for chassis widths I was pretty much guessing at old setups.

I decided to start them both symmetrical to each other ..... heres my front that I left alone

And heres my rear before I changed the 2mm spacer to 1mm ...... Now I know they match each other and can tune from there.

Another tuning area I dont think Ive ever seen anyone talk about. Can it help? Will it make a difference? I dont know but sometimes it doesnt take much of a change on something to make the truck feel better or worse. Worth a shot playing with lol.

Well thats about it for now ..... gonna do some real practice tomorrow after work. I did check my bias and while Im happy where it is I do want to try and get it a bit more forward from here. I dont want to add wheel weight like the consensus may say so Im gonna play with axles and links first. Got some new rears coming in that should let me move them around and shift more weight forward next week.

For now its 3 week count down to Rausch and practice is numero uno for me. Did get a little video of my hatchway climbing before the camera went dead. Drove a bit on my asphalt pile and really like how different and balanced the truck felt. More to come with some runs tomorrow, thanks for reading.

Last edited by Robbob; 06-16-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #307
I wanna be Dave

Looks good BobRob!

Yeah, the shocks have been talked about.. leaning them in, is like laying them down..
Straight is like standing them up..
I found I like having them straight but laid down a extra hole.. it's like a middle hole to each chassis hole.
It can also change the feel of the rear, during articulation. ;)
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #308
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Looks good BobRob!

Yeah, the shocks have been talked about.. leaning them in, is like laying them down..
Straight is like standing them up..
I found I like having them straight but laid down a extra hole.. it's like a middle hole to each chassis hole.
It can also change the feel of the rear, during articulation. ;)
Now you tell me

Ill have to try that ..... The MiniT springs felt too stiff like that but could have been oils too.

Whats the berg spread at the axle though - shock to shock? You got me curious about something.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #309
I wanna be Dave

well...
spread at the axle is about 110mm..................... thats center to center...........

top of shock spread, screw to screw like you measured is 75.5 mm

i dont think this is going to help ya.......
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:14 AM   #310
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
well...
spread at the axle is about 110mm..................... thats center to center...........

top of shock spread, screw to screw like you measured is 75.5 mm

i dont think this is going to help ya.......

it does ..... it helps me reference things when I look at other trucks.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #311
Custom Carbon Fiber

Well I have to admit, Ive done a terrible job keeping this build up to date but I really cant say Ive done a whole lot to it. The truck just works for me at the right times.

Local comps .... heh I mangle around middle of the pack. RI Cash Comp she puts me in the finals and finishing top 10. Back to local comps and still mangling around mid pack.

Now bring her to NENC in PA beginning of the month with the same mindset as RI ..... last year I fnished 15th out of 32 people, this year I took a 9th out of 40. Again another top 10 from her and I cant say the truck held me back. I had 3 DNF's but I took them for what they were, timer out while trying to make the last gate. I personally would rather take those then mid course give ups.

I did notice Jslick posted a video in the NENC section and as rare as it seems to find me in pictures or camera time with my Dominator ..... I got lucky at the 20 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/y2Ugcm4mZE0

Its always fun watching yourself drive ..... figured Id share some good footage of the drivers and a course ride along with my Dominator.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #312
Custom Carbon Fiber

So been busy with about 8 projects but managed to squeek this one into my truck. After our local comp a couple weeks ago and tearing the rear axle up I decided it was time to make my swap, well at least start it half way.

I been biting on the Bully2 axles for a while now

But after some design time ..... machine time ..... I had a new drive train.

And with some luck and a few paperweight cases ...

And just a little bit of weight shaved from them

Hows it all line up?

Not too shabby

Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #313
5th D Owner/Driver

Wish I could hit the "like" button more than once!
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #314
Custom Carbon Fiber

So for the NENC months ago I loaded my front end up with weight just to be safe. Cant say it helped anything buyt cant say it hurt either. So with that weight still on the truck she came in at 4.08lbs ......

And after just an axle swap ....

But bias forward more

So with a hyrbid comes gearing issues - same motors same 14t pinion .... whats the difference gonna be?

Heres XR front - Bully rear at 100% throttle ..... silver marker on each tire. Looks half a half rear rotation to a 'almost' front quarter rotation.

Now I put my throttle trim back to 100% front/84% rear and I get closer to what I was before. Half front rotation to 'almost' half rear rotation. Could probably go to a 15/16/17 rear pinion range and narrow that throttle bias almost gone but I like being able to dial things in.

Well thats it for now ..... gotta a couple cosmetics to do, some securing to do, greasing to do but def some testing to do soon.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #315
"GOD SPEED"

So how long before they are gonna be available at krazed builds for sale, another fantastic innovation for the krazed compound. Keep up the good work

"GOD SPEED"
nerby149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:44 AM   #316
Pebble Pounder

Excellent work you did on these axles Looks like your rear motor is now much closer to the axle,something i would also prefer on my Bullys!
Snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #317
Rock Crawler

That axle came out Awesome Robbob!!!!! Can't wait to see it in person.
blandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #318
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Wish I could hit the "like" button more than once!
Thanks man - shocked I pulled it off but gotta see if it survives my driving lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerby149 View Post
So how long before they are gonna be available at krazed builds for sale, another fantastic innovation for the krazed compound. Keep up the good work

"GOD SPEED"
Got a comp in couple weeks then gonna build a couple testers and if they dont blow them up ..... maybe xmas time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch View Post
Excellent work you did on these axles Looks like your rear motor is now much closer to the axle,something i would also prefer on my Bullys!
Thanks man - def a noticeable amount closer plus some geometry changes factored in. Cant wait to get out and actually practice with it, I can already see a feww differences I like in how the truck feels with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandon View Post
That axle came out Awesome Robbob!!!!! Can't wait to see it in person.
Thanks - hopefully I dont have a relapse to my XR show like Bluff Point LOL.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #319
Stephan Hauser / # 7

Hey Bob, great job on these axles Very nice build with really cool Krazedbuilds parts
ZZR 1100 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #320
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR 1100 Racer View Post
Hey Bob, great job on these axles Very nice build with really cool Krazedbuilds parts
Thanks Stephen - excited to get out and practice and comp with it.

Robbobs Not reinventing the wheel ........ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Robbobs next level of scale Tundra style Robbob 1.9 Scale Rigs 100 01-28-2016 01:00 PM
Reinventing my AX10...(again) Sucker Punch Chassis time. Master Basher Axial AX-10 Scorpion 70 08-13-2014 08:58 AM
Robbobs LCC Robbob Team Losi Comp Crawler 216 09-09-2011 11:32 AM