Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Robbobs Not reinventing the wheel ........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2015, 05:27 AM   #241
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Robbobs Not reinventing the wheel ........

may I ask what you are building???
Have never seen anything like this before in my life..
FLOKI-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #242
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOKI-81 View Post
may I ask what you are building???
Have never seen anything like this before in my life..

Working on getting my new table area setup. Should be seeing the machine next week (probably the same day I leave for PA lol) and its gonna be a water cooled spindle head. Didnt want to do the old fashion hose in a bucket so went back to water cooling computer days and got all that setup.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #243
Custom Carbon Fiber

So with NENC coming up this weekend I thought I should touch the truck up. Rebuilt the motors last night, cleaned and built the shocks, tightened all the screws, peaked the batteries and got everything together.

Last week was talking motors with Winnerone and well after some arm twisting (not really much) he convinced me I wouldnt win unless I had HH motors in. I tried to tell him I already have HH motors but he insisted I needed new ones. But hey these are from 2012 and I know how to work motors so they been doing good. He again insisted ..... You wont want anything else after these.

So we nailed it down and I said lets order them up! ..... 13T 20.5g wire Puller 500's ..... I think after seeing all the carnage he posted the 20.5gauge wire was a good choice over the 20g. That and I know how I drive and dont want to break anything lol.

So back to my 'all ready' part ........ guess what came today. Yah MOFO these things are Nasty! Thanks Winnerone for the HH Pullers!

So heres the 2012 Crawlmaster 16T 5 poles I took out ....... GREAT Motor then and still. Just needed a little more power and less weight.

And heres a puller

Now after some 'digging everything out' time I got new covers made up and all mounted looking perty.

And the scale time ....... this is 4S in the truck. Seemed everything stayed just like it was for bias. Right where I like it.

Nice and balanced

And this is with a 3s in the truck

Really didnt effect the bias all that much at all ..... which I really like

So with that all done ..... and someone telling me I wont be able to handle 4S on course I decided to try 3S after pulling wheelies with the big packs. Ya I cant bring myself emotionally to agree with him but lets play it safe. Bringing the 3S with me 'just incase'

Almost done though and really ready ....... now I just have to mount up the Narrow Voodoo Silvers that Purpmart hooked me up with and cut my pattern.

Then we should be ready to pack .......... I hope
Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #244
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So with NENC coming up this weekend I thought I should touch the truck up. Rebuilt the motors last night, cleaned and built the shocks, tightened all the screws, peaked the batteries and got everything together.

Last week was talking motors with Winnerone and well after some arm twisting (not really much) he convinced me I wouldnt win unless I had HH motors in. I tried to tell him I already have HH motors but he insisted I needed new ones. But hey these are from 2012 and I know how to work motors so they been doing good. He again insisted ..... You wont want anything else after these.

So we nailed it down and I said lets order them up! ..... 13T 20.5g wire Puller 500's ..... I think after seeing all the carnage he posted the 20.5gauge wire was a good choice over the 20g. That and I know how I drive and dont want to break anything lol.

So back to my 'all ready' part ........ guess what came today. Yah MOFO these things are Nasty! Thanks Winnerone for the HH Pullers!

So heres the 2012 Crawlmaster 16T 5 poles I took out ....... GREAT Motor then and still. Just needed a little more power and less weight.

And heres a puller

Now after some 'digging everything out' time I got new covers made up and all mounted looking perty.

And the scale time ....... this is 4S in the truck. Seemed everything stayed just like it was for bias. Right where I like it.

Nice and balanced

And this is with a 3s in the truck

Really didnt effect the bias all that much at all ..... which I really like

So with that all done ..... and someone telling me I wont be able to handle 4S on course I decided to try 3S after pulling wheelies with the big packs. Ya I cant bring myself emotionally to agree with him but lets play it safe. Bringing the 3S with me 'just incase'

Almost done though and really ready ....... now I just have to mount up the Narrow Voodoo Silvers that Purpmart hooked me up with and cut my pattern.

Then we should be ready to pack .......... I hope
Just gear up
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #245
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinghulls View Post
Just gear up

Its not as fun lol
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #246
Rock Crawler

Glad to see you runnin' the Pullers! They are BADASS and smooth as a mofo!! You will not be disappointed!!
blandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #247
Rock Crawler

I totaly agree with everybody who recomend the pullers..
I dont need to use the holmes hold on my crawler,, just pimp the drag break up to 100% and the neo magnets in the pullers do the rest off the work,, he he-
And they are butter smooth aswell,, the pullers 500 flow 30T I have is the best crawler motors I ever seen in my life,,
I will try out the puller 400`s because there is more than enough tourqe in the 500`s..
FLOKI-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #248
Custom Carbon Fiber

Well I didnt win anything exciting for awards at NENC - did get some great giveaway prizes thanks to some great sponsors. Had a blast though and the truck was incredible. I only had 1 dnf for the day and still placed 15th out of 34pro drivers. I can honestly say my gate penalties were my fault and my reverse points were smart moves.

The Dominator chassis took everything I threw at it and showed me I needed to trust my truck. Everyone told me gotta have rovers or sedonas but my Purpmart narrowed Voodoos grabbed all that insane traction out there. I did make one adjustment with moveing the shocks forward one hole to help with vertical climbs but other then that she was left alone like I drive her.

Really happy with my finish against some great drivers and seeing that its really only my 4th comp after coming back I dont think I can complain.

Anyway so everything got unpacked and I knew my big toy was coming today. I couldnt wait to get it home and start putting things together. Still got a couple things to do tomorrow and probably weds but this things gonna be an animal and so much fun. Im gonna have to start drawing more things up.

Well heres what all the water cooling setup has been for ...... 20x30 cut area .... 65mm spindle .... 24000rpm .... Oh yeah dust and delrin gonna be coming off this joy

Just got a couple things to tidy up and some leak testing to do and its go time ....... already ran some mid air files to see how it moves and must say it was a plug and play thankfully.

But Ill be back on the truck too since this is a build thread lol.

Oh and touching on the pullers running 4S ......... yes it is TOO MUCH but a lot of fun.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #249
Custom Carbon Fiber

Soooo apparently I havent touched this thread in over a month .... yet it feels like I havent been out of the Krazed Cave at all. Making parts - actually enjoying both things lol.

So a month ago we had a joint comp between BC Crawlers and the OCK Crawlers and they chose RI, same spot as last years Worlds. I LOVE THIS ROCK ......except for this weekend.

I was lucky enough to have a GF that brought her camera and actually get some shots of the truck. Seeing that no one ever brings one anymore I was happy to get these.

Heres the layout -

Heres me auditioning for crocodile hunter part deux

Heres me thinking my way was gonna work straddling a v-notch

Heres me 1:30 later finally making it through - that was a tough first gate

Heres me trying everyone elses way for another gate

Heres me still trying

Lets go this way

Heres me ........ well Gate 2 wasnt any easier.

And right at that sudden ground landing went both my rear upper lijnks at the thread spots. Ok hollow 7075 wasnt a good idea but I figured I could atleast try to drag the rear around. Ya guess the gears had another story for me - Blown teeth off the gear on top of my locker. To much throttle trying to recover.

So that was 2nd course, gate 2 and a grenaded rear axle - packed it up and made a day out of it with my daughter and GF. Still had fun and plenty of work to do.

SOOOOOO now couple weeks ago we had another local comp and pretty much all Ive done was rebuild the rear axle. It rolls and steerings, how bad could it really be. Hmmmm kicking my self for all the work I knew this thing needed from me wooping on it.

First course it was all double digit negatives - not really making myself feel good and the truck wasnt happy. Threw a slug in each side of my 1100's for weight holders and ran a couple practice lines.

Course two ........ to the last gate but the buzzer beat me first. Still thr truck wouldnt climb, the front just seriously wouldnt bite for me. Oh and ya now I got clickers in the front. Great

Third course - temps changed, I changed a rear upper link to give me some more front weight on the climbs and this thing stuck! Ran me a second best course score. Still the truck was not happy but Im starting to see where I was failing it.

Home - tear down - some ideas of changes - and practice (something Im not getting enough of apparently.)

No pictures from this one but I got VIDEO

Ugh .... still figuring that part out. But more pictures and complete run down of my changes coming shortly. Nothing wrong with the truck, have to say its all driver laziness! Good news though is after blowing the front axle up this time Ive completely torn the truck down and actually did some work. Love having a machine I can walk away from now, well at least keep in the corner of my eye while I do other things lol.

Last edited by Robbob; 08-29-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #250
Custom Carbon Fiber

Lets try course 1

Old 08-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #251
Rock Crawler

I'm interested to see how the video came out. I really like that little camera you have. You could almost Velcro that thing to the radio, seems light enough and small enough, or a cool little mount from the Krazed Lab. Pretty sure that's not on the priority list though...lol
Old 08-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #252
Custom Carbon Fiber

Heres a little shot of where we were - I call this Super Country.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #253
Rock Crawler

As soon as I posted the videos popped up. Cool!!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #254
Custom Carbon Fiber

Oops forgot course 2 .........

Old 09-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #255
Custom Carbon Fiber

Ok so been working on my setup a bit more - playing with foams (still not too happy but getting closer - building shocks and trying to practice. The truck has done some really great things, shown me a lot of what I have forgotten and just keeps coming closer to what I was use to.

I went out the other day and practiced some at my local spot literally 10 minutes away from me. Ive practiced so much there in the years before that this time as soon as I got there I knew someone one had been moving rocks to practice lol. No biggie just thought it was comical I knew how little a rock could be out of place.

So anyway ....... I was practicing. Playing with my upper links for adjustments. The problem Ive been having is I cant seem to get my balance right. My weight transfer was just not good for me. I would either transfer to much onto the rear wheels trying to climb and tip back or on drop offs my rear would just want to tumble over the front ..... my off camber was suffering severely and any approach I had off camber on the front it just twisted the rear axle up and wouldnt settle it down (squat).

I tried a bunch of different scenarios and though I dont have pictures for what helped I can tell you that I spaced my upper links out at the axles and it really changed the truck for me. Ok in theory this was my mind working it ........

Upper links really triangulated forced the weight onto one central spot ..... a pivot point. Now if I spaced those upper links out at the axle I (non engineering autoparts mind thinking) should transfer that weight (leverage) more towards the wheels. Left rear wheel cross transfers weight to the right front .... if my upper is spaced farther out then I should be able to transfer more of that weight onto the actual tire.

Again I have no engineering terms to explain it but I did this to the front axle first and felt it doing the same lines in the same spot and getting better results. Cause and effect ...... did it to the rear and felt so much free'er. The truck has really come into feeling like was I was use to and Im getting the trust back in what I want it to do.

So not much for pictures but I do have a video from today. We had jsut a GTG Gentlemen style comp today - no points just bragging rights and they picked my backyard practice spot. This place is a gem for lines and they let me set all the 2.2M courses. So ego's talking I said ok lets see who can do this ... and I told them all I wasnt setting anything that couldnt be done. Of course they made me go first on them but the truck was great and it was fun just hanging out.

So heres the video from course two ........ and Ive got some more work to do (pictures promised) with some new ideas in the next week or so.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #256
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
...And right at that sudden ground landing went both my rear upper links at the thread spots. Ok hollow 7075 wasn't a good idea but I figured I could at least try to drag the rear around...
There's a fantastic new super metal available today...Titanium, I think it's called.

Sorry, couldn't let that one go.

The last vid is certainly a definite improvement over the first two. Truck looks like it's working well and the driver a lot more comfortable with it.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #257
5th D Owner/Driver

That was some nice driving, your really getting that car working good.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #258
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
There's a fantastic new super metal available today...Titanium, I think it's called.

Sorry, couldn't let that one go.

The last vid is certainly a definite improvement over the first two. Truck looks like it's working well and the driver a lot more comfortable with it.
Smart ass ...... I was thinking Unobtanium actually but Amazon was out of it.

Its actually on that list of want to changes but I lost my ruler for measurements lol.

So much better over those first two videos - Id be lieing if I said I used a stunt truck in those but live and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
That was some nice driving, your really getting that car working good.
It felt so good driving those lines even being ones I could do in my sleep, the truck felt much more planted all around. Now its back on the machine week and some blue g10 I should have today
Old 09-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #259
Quarry Creeper

in my opinion weiner0I812 is no competition for the ROBBOB after what I saw this weekend. I see a teabag coming when they meet again.

flawless
stankulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #260
I wanna be Dave

Looks Great Bobrob! Looks like you can't blame it on the parts guy or the rig, Anymore! ;)

Now let me deal with This guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stankulas View Post
in my opinion weiner0I812 is no competition for the ROBBOB after what I saw this weekend. I see a teabag coming when they meet again.

flawless
Big words, little man StanClueless!

Now, if your done bobbenonRob.. You can bobon that reconfigured screen name, a while..

Cause the only one in practicing to teabag, is You!

Guess I can go back to sleep now!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Robbobs Not reinventing the wheel ........ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Robbobs next level of scale Tundra style Robbob 1.9 Scale Rigs 100 01-28-2016 01:00 PM
Reinventing my AX10...(again) Sucker Punch Chassis time. Master Basher Axial AX-10 Scorpion 70 08-13-2014 08:58 AM
Robbobs LCC Robbob Team Losi Comp Crawler 216 09-09-2011 11:32 AM