Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yet Another Yeti Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Yet Another Yeti Build

^ carnage!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I love how every time I click in to this thread I am greeted at the top by a busted up, sad faced Yeti!
Shortbus, I have just got to quote this because I LOVE the fact you posted up the broken Yeti before the actual build up. I am nearly 100% sure that when I begin my build thread (hopefully before March I will have the bulk of the parts I want to begin.) I am going to begin it with the broken down picture of the pre-build (or is it re-build?) RTR Yeti I started with.

I am really enjoying this post stalking and idea stealing I'm able to do here in this forum, not just from your build, but from the Oh so many great ones here to read as well!

You all seem to be, not only creative, but informative around here, and that combo is hard to match and near impossible to beat!

So keep on keepin on bro, I'm enjoying every post!

Last edited by Rockwolf; 02-19-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Corrections
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I'm glad you guys appreciate that I posted up the busted-ass picture of my sad Yeti after the first real run. Gave me a reason to start upgrading. Granted....it hasn't stopped since, but still.....most of the build threads on here start with either a kit, or a NIB RTR that the builder starts ripping apart before it's ever had a battery run through it. Sure...you can figure out what needs upgrading by reading about other people's experiences, but half the fun of a build is in the carnage! Wouldn't it better to find out what upgrades you need by finding the weak points for yourself? May it's just me, though. I pretty well follow the same train of thought with my 1:1, too. Almost nothing on my Jeep has been replaced without first having been broken....unless you consider things like regearing, etc. Everything I've installed on my 1:1 (and I do mean I...no way I'm paying a shop to wrench on my rig) has been done because it needed replacement. Even the steel corner armor was installed to not only strengthen up the tub, but also to cover up the wonderful hail damage my rig has been graced with 3 times now.

Anyway....stepping down off my soap box now.....

Just pulled the stock match stick inner hinge pins and replaced them with the McMaster Carr tool blanks and collars I got today. Same principle as DickyT's, but not Traxxas parts. In all actuality....he probably paid less! Two tool blanks and two collars were about $8.50. Shipping, which they don't tell you until after they've shipped....was about $12! They should've shipped in nothing more than a small padded envelope....but instead...they came in a box big enough to fit a transmitter in! But nevertheless....even at $20...I should hopefully never have to buy another set of inner hinge pins. So.....IF that's the case....then I consider it money well spent.

Now to order my DLux modded AR60 housing, truss, Ti swaybar links, and longer upper links........

Last edited by Sh0rtBus; 02-19-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I paid $18 for mine shipped from Amazon. If you order the Lunsford pins from Lunsford they are $27 + shipping.

Mine are not "Traxxas parts", they are just made for a Traxxas vehicle.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Yeap, Lunsford makes great stuff. I used Lunsford links on my E-Revo Brushless Ed, and it was about the only thing that never had issues. I even managed to snap an alum. STRC bellcrank during my bash sessions, but the Lunsford links held true.
hobbez84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #26

Ha. I broke my yeti in the exact spot on the rear axle
95yjsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Gearhead Lightweight U4 Wheels and Gear hubs have been delivered...finally!

Ordered Today:

Dlux AR60 Housing modified for 5x13 bearing
DluxAR60 U4 Rear CF Truss
Dlux Ti Upper Rear Links
Dlux Ti Sway Bar Links
Locked-Up RC FI Spool
Locked-Up RC 4-40 Acorn Wheel Studs
MIP X-Duty Rear Drive shaft Kit
STRC Aluminum Front Skid PLate/Hinge Pin Mount (Gunmetal)
Pro-Line Seratted M4 wheel nuts (Blue)

I think I may need to take out a second mortgage now.....

Last edited by Sh0rtBus; 02-20-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Update Info
Old 02-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Just got an email......Beef Tubes are on backorder for a week or two.

Pics here in a bit of the new wheels with RBIIs mounted.....
Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

That sucks about the tubes, looking forward to the wheel\tire pics!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #30
RCC Addict

As promised....pics from tonight's installed goodies

STRC Rear Shock Mount Plate

Gearhead Lightweight U4 Aluminum 2.2 Wheels Wrapped in Pitbull Rockbeast II rubber and Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild closed cell tall foams

Tonight's Money Shot
Old 02-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Despite the 25 degree temps and iced-over roads, USPS delivered a few more goodies to me today. Didn't bother to take pics, as we all know what they look like, but installed the following:

Dlux Modded AR60 Rear Axle Housing
Dlux CF AR60 Truss
Dlux Ti Upper Links
Dlux Ti Sway Bar Links
LURC 4-40 Acorn Bolts
LURC FI Spool (rear axle)

Now just waiting for my Beef tubes to get running again. Would rather not install the axle on the rig and then break it again, so I'll have to restrain myself for a week or so. Really happy with the quality of parts I'm throwing on this rig, though. Seems the only big thing I have left is the front diff & axles. Don't know if I wanna go Dlux because of the knuckles. Don't even know if the Dlux knuckles will work with my wheels. May just go the Blue Monkey & MIP route.

Still to come:

MIP X-Duty Rear Drive Shaft (en route from RPP)
Pro-line M4 Blue Annodized Wheel Nuts (en route from RPP)
STRC Aluminum Front Skid PLate/Hinge Pin Mount (Gunmetal)
Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #32
RCC Addict

More goodies arrived yesterday. I can't say I'm happy with USPS right now, though. My Priority 2-Day shipping order from RPP took 6 days to get to me. Not that it's really that big of a deal since I'm still waiting on back ordered Beef Tubes, but I'd like to get stuff on time when I pay for faster shipping.

Without further ado......

Current Status of my rear axle

Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

It's coming along nicely! I have your Dude Rang from my little pay it forward contest (DLUX Swamp Squatch) all boxed up and with me at work.

I'll be heading to the PO to mail it as soon as someone from my team returns from lunch so I can leave the dang building. They are all 75 minutes overdue at this point and I'm HONGRY, and want to get your package mailed! I'll PM ya a tracking number at some point this afternoon.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Pics of the front end all buttoned up. I did have some minor adjustments to make to correct camber and toe, but it tracks pretty straight at the moment.
hi i'm new. love your build.

i'm curious to know how you got the camber right. i have the same carriers and knuckles, same turnbuckles, yet my yeti's wheels have WAY positive camber.

if i straighten the wheels by shortening turnbuckles and bolting them to the inner holes of the shock tower, the stock dogbones seem to bind, and there's added resistance when the front wheels rotate. i believe i stripped my front diff gears and bevel as a result of trying to run them straight up.

any help appreciated!
hellfire360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire360 View Post
hi i'm new. love your build.

i'm curious to know how you got the camber right. i have the same carriers and knuckles, same turnbuckles, yet my yeti's wheels have WAY positive camber.

if i straighten the wheels by shortening turnbuckles and bolting them to the inner holes of the shock tower, the stock dogbones seem to bind, and there's added resistance when the front wheels rotate. i believe i stripped my front diff gears and bevel as a result of trying to run them straight up.

any help appreciated!
Thanks man! Honestly I just have the turnbuckles on the inner lower holes on the shock tower and the inside hole on the carrier. I do get a slight bind on the driver front shock near full compression, but not enough to worry about. I can take pics later if you need.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Just got an email......Beef Tubes are on backorder for a week or two.

Pics here in a bit of the new wheels with RBIIs mounted.....
If you want my beeftubes (this just sounds wrong) i will mail them to you in support of your build.
PM me your info and i can get them mailed from Houston early next week.
scott1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:05 AM   #37
RCC Addict

If you're willing to offer them up, I'll certainly take you up on it. PM'd you
Old 02-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Well she is really coming along nicely short bus, really like the rim/tire package blinged but not over the top IMHO. Man Ya gotta love the people here dontcha? I mean just outta the blue an offer to give Ya some...uhm...well like he said it sounds kinda awkward! But the sentiment was sincere and much respect for offering that kind of support to a member to help keep the build on track!! You da man Scott1981!

As far as the needing a second mortgage...bro do I ever feel Ya there! I'm already feeling like I could be building a 1:1 trail rig for what I'm dumping into this little Yeti build...and I'm not even close to being done

Well keep up the great work as always, you know I'll be back soon to see the progress!
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #39
RCC Addict

As much coin as I've dropped on this thing, I could've had some nice stuff added to my 1:1. Could've at least bought three of the four new tires I need. Still have tread on them but they're not even close to 37s at this point. Might have 10k left in them at best, which considering I drove it less than 5k miles last year isn't too bad.

This has been a fun build though. Built and installed the MIP rear shaft on the rear axle today. Going to compare the weight of the Gear Head wheels and hubs to the stock RTR set.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

My favorite part about this build so far is the fact you don't baby it. A sentiment others agree upon while looking at your thread's first picture.

I hear you on the mortage.. Bought an 01 Silverado 4x4 to turn into a prerunner. I've spent enough on my Wraith in the last week to cover the locking diffs I plan to install on it. Ah well, the Wraith'll be cheaper in the long run. Half of it's already done!
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote

Yet Another Yeti Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The RCNetwork's Yeti Build! RichMTB01 Axial Yeti 172 12-17-2015 06:55 PM
Millsous Yeti Build Millsous Axial Yeti 75 09-11-2015 07:25 AM
Yeti build question..? Jsouza1980 Axial Yeti 2 11-30-2014 12:55 PM
How's everyone gonna build their Yeti?? tcm glx Axial Yeti 89 10-17-2014 12:17 PM
Yeti Killer: How Would You Build It? MountainStorm General Crawlers 24 07-07-2014 09:25 PM