Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 AM   #121
RCC Addict

Default Re: Standalone Axial based Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Dan,

Went to a 20t pinion much better

As for the bearing it was the 10m
I did sand the shaft down so that the bearing would slide on nice and smooth.
But when I press the bearing into it location the shaft won,t slide freely.

It seems once the bearing is pressed into place it crushes the outer ring of the bearing.
I grabbed a new bearing from the other kit and was good to go but once you press the bearing into it's spot with the shaft the bearing starts to grind when you spin the shaft by hand
Almost wondering if the shaft has a bend in it

Other than this bearing issue love the tranny so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Mine does the same thing. As it is, the gear rotation is tighter than it should be. The opening in the CF may have to be enlargened ever so slightly to not crush the bearing.
Ok I did cover this in the vid I was working on but I keep having work to catch up on every time I think I'll have a chance to finish it...

What happens is the CF is VERY hard on tools, on average it wears a $100 diamond coated bit on every 500x500 sheet... so the parts that are cut early have a perfect fit but as the tool starts to loose its edge parts end up ever so slightly undersize, these would fall into that basket... Im getting better at judging how many I can do before needing to change the tool

As the builder you need to check clearances and if the bearing doesn't go in nicely (no slop but no forcing it) then you need to take a hair off the inside of the bearing pocket.. What I do is take a hair off with a small round hobby file but be gentle as you'll not be taking much off! If you don't have a file then a bit of fine emery paper wrapped around an old link or something small and round.
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 02:07 AM   #122
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post

What happens is the CF is VERY hard on tools, on average it wears a $100 diamond coated bit on every 500x500 sheet.
Dan, have a look here for more affordable endmills. These are what I use and they produce a very clean cut. They wear out as fast as your current ones but cost much less. The picture on the website is misleading. In reality the endmills have a graphite grey diamond coating.

Sorotec - Werkzeuge

I have found the exact same thing as Dan stated above. When you cut pockets for bearings you either need to start with a fresh endmill every 5th housing or so, or check the pockets afterwards for a perfect fit. I use a drill bit and wrap a few turns of 400 grit wet paper around it. It usually only takes a few turns in each pocket to make the bearings seat properly.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 AM   #123
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Dan, have a look here for more affordable endmills. These are what I use and they produce a very clean cut. They wear out as fast as your current ones but cost much less. The picture on the website is misleading. In reality the endmills have a graphite grey diamond coating.

Sorotec - Werkzeuge

I have found the exact same thing as Dan stated above. When you cut pockets for bearings you either need to start with a fresh endmill every 5th housing or so, or check the pockets afterwards for a perfect fit. I use a drill bit and wrap a few turns of 400 grit wet paper around it. It usually only takes a few turns in each pocket to make the bearings seat properly.
Thanks for the link I would have better luck finding a needle in a hay stack than finding this stuff in OZ, everywhere I tried I get a strange look.. Been getting current ones from a bloke in the US that machines stuff for the US Air Force.

Man at that price i'll be able to change more often if they at as good
Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #124
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ok I did cover this in the vid I was working on but I keep having work to catch up on every time I think I'll have a chance to finish it...

What happens is the CF is VERY hard on tools, on average it wears a $100 diamond coated bit on every 500x500 sheet... so the parts that are cut early have a perfect fit but as the tool starts to loose its edge parts end up ever so slightly undersize, these would fall into that basket... Im getting better at judging how many I can do before needing to change the tool

As the builder you need to check clearances and if the bearing doesn't go in nicely (no slop but no forcing it) then you need to take a hair off the inside of the bearing pocket.. What I do is take a hair off with a small round hobby file but be gentle as you'll not be taking much off! If you don't have a file then a bit of fine emery paper wrapped around an old link or something small and round.
Ok fare enough.
But I can press the bearing in with my fingers.
If I can press it in with my fingers I figured that was lose enough.

I will pull it all apart again and try grinding the cf alittle.

I guess one good thing is the second trans I got will be a breeze to set up lol

Now to find acouple more 10mm flanged bearings
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #125
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ok fare enough.

welcome to the world of being an early adopter... this is minor compared to some of the early issues on other products, like video game systems, tv's, mobile devices, various other items, which you would assume the company would have considerably more resources to thoroughly test before shipping the stuff out.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #126
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
welcome to the world of being an early adopter... this is minor compared to some of the early issues on other products, like video game systems, tv's, mobile devices, various other items, which you would assume the company would have considerably more resources to thoroughly test before shipping the stuff out.
Very True
Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ok fare enough.

When you check it again get the front & rear CF plates and line up the holes, all holes should line up (screw & bearing) It's not likely but if they don't grab a pic to show and I'll fix it

Ive heard Fast Eddie is quick at getting US guys bearings
Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #128
RCC Addict

Quote:
When you check it again get the front & rear CF plates and line up the holes, all holes should line up (screw & bearing) It's not likely but if they don't grab a pic to show and I'll fix it

Ive heard Fast Eddie is quick at getting US guys bearings
Thanks Dan.
But i'm in Canada LOl
No worries I have found some the local hobby store had some.

I don't think it is that, I think it is more along the lines of what Tommy was talking about.
With the blade/bit wearing out.

Going to pull it apart tonight to see what I find.

Another thing how freely should the trans spin if everything is right?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #129
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks Dan.
But i'm in Canada LOl
No worries I have found some the local hobby store had some.

I don't think it is that, I think it is more along the lines of what Tommy was talking about.
With the blade/bit wearing out.

Going to pull it apart tonight to see what I find.

Another thing how freely should the trans spin if everything is right?
theoretically it should spin the same as an xr trans with no motor or shafts.. it's essentially the same thing.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #130
RCC Addict

Theoretically, even more free than that since there's no big drum gear. Fewer gears, less resistance depending on how much backlash Dan built into these.
Mine isn't there yet. Waiting for some replacement bearings to show up.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 AM   #131
RCC Addict

The backlash is designed with less than the XR, being a sporty I wanted as little backlash I could get without having the gears clash... If you rock the gears looking at the mesh you should see a fraction of movement.

Every tranny ive built here (and ive done a lot) ive found them to be free moving but not as free as one that has some time on it, they free up friction the more they get used (bed in) and that is in the bearings, Avid use a grease that feels like friction until it beds in the grease.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #132
RCC Addict

That's what I kinda figured Terry
But thought i'd ask just to make sure.

Ok guys
So got it all apart last night.
I did notice the hole's did not line up like you suggested Dan,

But I thoughts it's only a mil or so i'll give it a light sand like you said to make the bearings slide in and to have the shaft slide in the bearing once installed

Check got both of that done.
Put the trans together and if I don't attach a drive shaft I can barely spin the trans.

So I say to myself I got another trans sitting here lets put that one together and see what happens.

Lightly sanded the bearing hole to allow them to pop in and the shaft slides super nice.
Put the trans together with the same gear and bearing and WOW night and day difference.

This one spins nice and free no need to put the drive shaft on to spin the trans and if you spin it hard it will even make another turn or 2 before it stops.

With that said the other trans plate are out of wack.

Just glade I got it figured out cause this GB is just awesome.

I added acouple pic's as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by chevotafun; 01-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #133
Rock Crawler

Any GB left??

Paypal is ready
racer_zh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #134
RCC Addict

Quote:
That's what I kinda figured Terry
But thought i'd ask just to make sure.

Ok guys
So got it all apart last night.
I did notice the hole's did not line up like you suggested Dan,

But I thoughts it's only a mil or so i'll give it a light sand like you said to make the bearings slide in and to have the shaft slide in the bearing once installed

Check got both of that done.
Put the trans together and if I don't attach a drive shaft I can barely spin the trans.

So I say to myself I got another trans sitting here lets put that one together and see what happens.

Lightly sanded the bearing hole to allow them to pop in and the shaft slides super nice.
Put the trans together with the same gear and bearing and WOW night and day difference.

This one spins nice and free no need to put the drive shaft on to spin the trans and if you spin it hard it will even make another turn or 2 before it stops.

With that said the other trans plate are out of wack.

Just glade I got it figured out cause this GB is just awesome.

I added acouple pic's as well.
Ok if you remember I posted about cutting the wrong file (have many files due to 12months in design/test work) in the first batch?

I thought I caught all of them before shipping but it looks like one slipped out... Im very sorry about that, but PM me your addy and i'll get two new plates to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_zh View Post
Any GB left??

Paypal is ready
I think ive got a couple left, had a bunch of orders come through while I was at work today so i'll got through the numbers after tea and post up
Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 AM   #135
RCC Addict

Hey all a bit of an update

Ive been taking in all the feedback you have been kind enough share here in a civil way And im going to make some changes to a couple of things.

Now before I get to the changes I'll point out that ive been checking a testing a few more things.. during this I noticed that the ID (inside diameter) of the bearings I was going off was taken from a bearing I bought somewhere other than Avid, I now realise Avid have a fraction smaller ID than the the bearing spec I first took, it was only by a tiny fraction but enough to make it tight.
Next I was checking bearings, I cut some test plates undersized and forced the bearings in, the 10mm wasn't too bad but the cage on the 9mm changed shape and when I turned it the dam thing was hard to turn and notchy.

First up is the output shaft that I mentioned earlier.. It will be machined down to make for a better fit.

And I'll now be prechecking each plate and fitting the bearings myself This ads time to the process but I will sleep better knowing they are all 110% spot on

Now for current orders placed recently.....
Ive been redoing the outputs and got them all done.. I was about to repack but im going to check all the plates over the weekend, fit the bearings then repack and have the misses send Tuesday (its Friday night here now and Monday is a public holiday for Australia Day) for us... Its a little more time but will make it hassle free for everyone

Here is how they will come now (minus the output which was a custom order)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #136
Rock Crawler

for a vendor that knows how to take feedback and use it as the constructive criticism it was intended to be. Wish they were all like that.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #137
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
for a vendor that knows how to take feedback and use it as the constructive criticism it was intended to be. Wish they were all like that.
Couldn't agree more
Hats off to you Dan.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #138
RCC Addict

Hi guys,
Life matters got in the way of getting these out on time, I had to do a drawn out Advanced First Aid after hours for my day job, I was hoping they would of made mail Tuesday but the wife got call for extra shifts which left no one to post

All bar 2 (Joel & Brian) made mail today... All bearings are checked and fitted, all output shafts were taken down to new spec and repolished.. I was doing 37 GB's and it all took a bit longer than I first thought but we all will be much happier knowing there're all good

Now if by chance a bearing happens to vibrate loose in post just check the first post here to make sure it goes back right way in... Happy crawling guys and gals

Oh I also kept one GB for the giveaway, just fighting for time but this weekend i'll have the free time to do that! If you have bought one it will be credit, GB or refund

Also tomorrow was the last day for the low kick off pricing of the standalone GB.. Ive got some PM sale to follow up tonight which will most likely be the last of the bearings I have in stock... If your happy to wait 2weeks till more bearings arrive from Avid feel free to place and order... After tomorrow night the pricing will go to a retail price of $75 which is still good value seeing you get all the parts outside of XR gears.

I hope you all enjoy your tiny GB's, I ran at a loss kicking these off but stuck to my word on pricing, done with love not profit in mind
Old 01-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #139
RCC Addict

Just ordered one for the right side. Josh Woodard. Are you still waiting to receive a number of orders before making a batch? Just looking for a guess at when it will arrive. Its the next step in my current build. I have the patience of a 5 year old at Christmas.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #140
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
Just ordered one for the right side. Josh Woodard. Are you still waiting to receive a number of orders before making a batch? Just looking for a guess at when it will arrive. Its the next step in my current build. I have the patience of a 5 year old at Christmas.
Seen it... You may just be in luck! Ive got everything for one more, I will need to cut the plates over the weekend though.. Will be in post Monday

As for any more orders.. Ive got more materials on the way which will be about 2weeks then 1-2weeks to make 30-50 sets BUT ive got the Australian nationals coming up and need to get a bunch of stuff done before that so the next batch might be limited in numbers of 10-20 sets so ive got time for pre-nats work (giveaways and my rig prep)

I will post up once materials arrive As normal if you want to pre-order to make sure your in the next lot that's fine but please note it will be 3-4weeks from today before they will be in post, I'll do my best to make ASAP but im at the mercy of postal services while my materials come from the USA

Cheers
Dan

Standalone Axial based Gearbox - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standalone axial based Gearbox Hulksta Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 11-19-2013 07:11 AM
VP gearbox fit on Axial HD motor plate patoff Axial XR10 3 06-21-2013 01:16 AM
Axial gearbox gear measures tarmo120 Axial SCX-10 0 08-31-2011 11:43 AM