Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: How about anyone fighting depression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
I am a psych major and drugs and alcohol are the WORST thing a person can do if they are feeling depress. It is a good way to add addiction to your depression. Drugs and Alcohol will make you feel "ok" (usually more numb) while under the influence, but coming off of them will increase your depression. So alot of the times a person will stay doped up or keep drinking. In the end they end up with MORE problems.
Thanks for that input. I really hate it when statements like that show up in these discussions. You will make a great addition to your profession. Having experience with these disorders makes you that much more effective in treating them. Unlike mental health professionals that have never had problems in these areas, you have walked on that long road. You will have a different perspective
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #102
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeManiac View Post
One of the greatest things that i find helps the most, Is talking about what you feel. For instance a friend tells another friend a secret, he keeps his mouth shut for a while then blabs the secret, Depression is the secret, holding it in gets unbearable and bad things happen. But talking to a friend can release the stress and help take away the pain.
The more you force yourself to deal with something, the less of an impact it has on you. Over time you adjust yourself to the issue and get on with your life. Its not always as easy as it sounds, and its not always an issue that is easily approached, but its like any other kind of trauma. If you physically injure yourself, you have to work that part of the body to recover. If your injury is mental or emotional, you have to work that too.

When my wifes family gets together, talk eventually turns to some of the horrible things that have happened over the years. There is laughing, there is crying, but at the end of the night everyone goes home happy, and I've noticed that the older the stories are, the less crying there is as time goes on.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 01-30-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeManiac View Post
One of the greatest things that i find helps the most, Is talking about what you feel.

Thanks,
Lance
Great point. Strange, people often think that when you bottle it up and keep going, that eventually you will explode. Unfortunately there is another result.
One can actually implode, literally be crushed inward.

Lance you are welcome - anytime, anyplace brother! Thanks for your help too. Its all of us, we cant just have one of each of us all alone somewhere. We are all in this together. Any input is needed, non is better than the other. Advice is great, but so is ones experience, journey, pain, etc. Merely sharing your life, and what has gone on, or is going on is just as great a contribution as anything that can be found on this thread.
It takes far more to share your pain, than it does to give advice (not that advice is not needed). For those that have shared the raw parts of their lives - you guys have guts! Guts are the things that can win wars!

Dude, again you are on a role! Can I make an appt? You know that feeling of "bittersweet".

Last edited by entropy; 01-30-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #104
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Yeah, I could be the next Dr. Phil.

I could call my show "WTF is your problem?!", co-hosted by Leif Garret.

Damn dude, I read this a minute ago and Im still laughing my ass off. Think I pissed myself too

Oh man, I gotta go to sleep. I figure, this thread will be hummin in the morning. Catch you guys later.

Last edited by entropy; 01-30-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #105
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
may have to try out that piddly shit list and see what happens. so far i'm up to doing the dishes, more to do tomorrow than i had planned, but i have something to do now.
If it works out, let me know. You can take care of my list too.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Man, I just read all this and I wasn't really aware how many of you guys were dealing with this same issue. And there are so make great responses, I just need to pipe up.

I've had Chronic Depression for about 35 years, pretty much all my adult life and a good part of my childhood. Lately I was diagnosed officially as "treatment resistant" which basically means meds only work for a limited period of time, if at all. (frankly this is not a news flash after 35 years.)
I get a lot of confusion, a constant ringing in my ears (tinitus) constant thoughts of death, panic attacks, etc,etc. It's like a constant white noise of negativity that's in your skull 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
It pretty much sucks.
I had been focused on suicide for years, but I realized that these were feelings, and they do pass. Actually killing myself would be like leaving the theatre in the middle of a movie. It really does'nt "solve" anything.

I don't want to give advice because what works for me may not work for someone else, but sometimes it helps me if I can think of this as a medical condition (which it is.) instead of some "flaw of my soul" thinking I was depressed because I was a bad person. Then I can look at it a little more realistically and look at diet, exercise, meds, etc.

I hate to sound dramatic, but in the last few years this hobby has saved my life at times. It taught me not to take things too serious, have a laugh and just have fun. I'm grateful I can still experience fun.
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #107
RCC Addict

doing something with a gun is not the answer i was in your position also , the wife dont understand, the friends dont care. to be honest i have gotten more help from this forum and strangers than any drug or doctor. for me it was a total mind set i got back into RC forced myself to get motivated , started doing stuff to make me happy and not everyone else. its not easy and never will be. before you do anything foolish pm someone on this thread and just talk i know it helped me it might help you, and always think of your kid first
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #108
RCC Addict

I'd like to thank Rcc real quick because today was a good day (cue Ice Cube.)

Crawling has been my anti-jail and this forum keeps me interested, even when the weather doesn't and it's been working for four and a half years now.

Thanks!
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
I'd like to thank Rcc real quick because today was a good day (cue Ice Cube.)

Thanks!
HOT DAMN!

Glad to here it, and theres always more where those came from. Knowing you had a good day, makes me happy, and makes my day better.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
I don't want to give advice because what works for me may not work for someone else, but sometimes it helps me if I can think of this as a medical condition (which it is.) instead of some "flaw of my soul" thinking I was depressed because I was a bad person. Then I can look at it a little more realistically and look at diet, exercise, meds, etc.
Too late, you gave advice

Dude thats great! I so rarely hear people put things in that perspective.
There is something wrong, but theres not "something wrong" with us.
Your input is important. If something worked for you, and helps at least one person, isnt that great?! You definitely have advice to give, period, and your words prove it too.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
the friends dont care.
I feel for ya man. I really pisses me off too. My too best friends are married, and it seems they are tired of "it", dont want to really hear about it, dont want to try and really understand it. Sucks! Well, even if none of us know each other, and we never meet, we are friends, we listen, and we care.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #112
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I feel for ya man. I really pisses me off too. My too best friends are married, and it seems they are tired of "it", dont want to really hear about it, dont want to try and really understand it. Sucks! Well, even if none of us know each other, and we never meet, we are friends, we listen, and we care.
Even the best of freinds will have limits to what they can endure. If its been a gradual slide towards them being "tired of it", maybe you need to ease up a bit. If your state of mind is a frequent topic of discussion when you are around, no matter how much they might care about you, it will start to wear on them and turn them off to your condition. Its not that they don't care (if they are true freinds anyway), but they've got their own issues (everyone does) and piling yours on top will grow less and less appealing to them as time goes on.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Even the best of freinds will have limits to what they can endure. If its been a gradual slide towards them being "tired of it", maybe you need to ease up a bit. If your state of mind is a frequent topic of discussion when you are around, no matter how much they might care about you, it will start to wear on them and turn them off to your condition. Its not that they don't care (if they are true freinds anyway), but they've got their own issues (everyone does) and piling yours on top will grow less and less appealing to them as time goes on.
If only that were true. More like self-absorbed, and other crap. Its actually their life that gets piled all over. After 20+ years, they can really drain my energy. In the end, you do what friends are suppossed to do. I do have friends and family that are great. It just sucks when your friends dont try and get it.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I agree, I've always tried to have a support "system" in place, friends, family, docs, etc. so you dont get dependant on one friend or family member. You yourself can become dependent on a friend, leaning on them too much for answers that they just may not have. Nobody digs a crises junkie. The aim of a support system is to help you find your own answers.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #115
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Too late, you gave advice

Dude thats great! I so rarely hear people put things in that perspective.
There is something wrong, but theres not "something wrong" with us.
Your input is important. If something worked for you, and helps at least one person, isnt that great?! You definitely have advice to give, period, and your words prove it too.
Damn. Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
I agree, for answers that they just may not have.
So true. They may not have them, they may be wrong, and one source of input can be a bad thing.

You are right on, you have to find your own answers.

Dude you gave advice (good advice) again! Well, you are screwed now!
You have found out that you have stuff that works for others
Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So true. They may not have them, they may be wrong, and one source of input can be a bad thing.

You are right on, you have to find your own answers.

Dude you gave advice (good advice) again! Well, you are screwed now!
You have found out that you have stuff that works for others
Dang it!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

Just hearing that your not alone and to chat with others who go through the same things can really make a person feel better and really seems to lift some weight off a persons shoulders. So talking is always a good thing. There are plenty of forums out there dedicated to depression/anxiety/etc. where Im sure would be beneficial to just read other peoples storys and even share your own.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #119
Defy Gravity

and agreed about the talking helping, just sharing that little bit i have here has helped, knowing there are people around that do in fact care makes things quite a bit easier in my head today. to all the guys in this thread who have shared and also shared possible solutions and things to help out, thank you very much.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #120
Rock Crawler

I was just thinking to those who may not be familiar, I thought I would put up a link to a forum that has helped (for me at least.)
http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/

There's a lot of pretty useful information about various treatments and therapies, plus a lot of useful information on medication and side effects.