Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: RCC's slow demise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RCC's slow demise?

If posts get burried and lost on facebook, then where does the seeker go to find answers to his/her questions?
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
If posts get burried and lost on facebook, then where does the seeker go to find answers to his/her questions?
Find it with a search...if you're lucky. Or go back through your "Activity Log" to find it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #43
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
lets not pretend social media isnt a powerful outlet and directly effects a business which this is...

lets also not forget we wouldn't be where we are today without Jason and badger and RCC

People tend to forget that
This is not a business for me. I realize it is for someone else, and is why this discussion is happening. People are concerned about what appears as neglect by those running the site. Countless threads have been neutered by the photo debacle and apparently messages aren’t being responded to here. Personally, I have no issues with the site. I pay for my membership and keep my photos in albums locally. If it is true that participation here is on the wane, I fail to see how investing all of their time on another site is helping the owners cause. It sounds like they might be at risk of losing what they already have here. Perhaps enhancing what is here might be a better course of action for them.

I have seen Facebook and have little interest in it. This thread isn’t likely to change that. I would sooner peruse SBG, it has a more appealing quality.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Lastly, the times have changed and I think the grip needs be loosened up here... As a person who has been moderating here for 10 years or more now I see posts deleted that shouldnt be deleted... they arent a "cool" post, but not necessarily a lengthy one either. IS the person trying to pad their count to see the classifieds? Maybe... Have you looked at the classifieds section lately??? Thats dying off too... Why would anyone pay for the star when they can jump over to facebook and easily post a photo and not be restricted in anyway shape or form??

Things need to change... RCC has done a lot for me over and Id hate to see it slowly die off but I fear its heading that way unless there is change and a way to bring people back and keep people here.

Just my .02 cents

-Mike
I'm one of the folks who doesn't have facebook, so I can't use it for buying stuff, so it's this forum, ebay, or online hobby stores. We don't have a local hobby shop anywhere close. I've noticed this about our classifieds here. I was buying 3-4 items a week for a while there.... now nothing much crosses it that strikes me unfortunately. Does this forum have a designated area for admin and moderators to discuss possible changes? Has any of this been brought to the attention of the guys running the show? I can't imagine you're the only moderator who feels this way.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
In truth, the only thing that keeps this hobby going is fresh blood, the new kids who get their first RC and are excited about the hobby. THIS is where RCC has truly failed over the years, RCC is well know was a place to get punched in the face when a new kid posts. It has certainly gotten better for the new guy over the years, but there are still those around that will still attack someone for the ultimate sin of not searching before they post...
Getting new people interested in the hobby would be a rising tide that would raise all ships... including this one. A lot easier said than done, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has ideas about it.

For what it's worth, I'm not new to the hobby but I am new to this forum and I didn't find anyone to be unwelcoming, certainly not in comparison to the average forum. You guys do well in that regard
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Find it with a search...if you're lucky. Or go back through your "Activity Log" to find it.
I don't use facebook so I am unaware about its working, however its known that posts there get burried over time and there is no way to see them or as you mentioned through activity log.

But....what about those guys that are new to rc crawling and end up on facebook to seek answers to their questions. Understanding all aspects of rc crawling is impossible on a place like facebook. Those people have to consult a friend from the hobby or end up on rc crawling forums to get a deeper understanding.

RTR crawlers are common in US and probably in Europe, but they are not in other parts of the world due to higher import duties and lack of well established distribution channels. Its easy to understand some aspects of crawlers when you have an rtr in front of you, but to build one yourself, its necessary to have support of a forum.

Forums are a need.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Transfer the power to someone who has the time/passion to continue what they built.
This.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #48
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
This is not a business for me. I realize it is for someone else, and is why this discussion is happening. People are concerned about what appears as neglect by those running the site. Countless threads have been neutered by the photo debacle and apparently messages aren’t being responded to here. Personally, I have no issues with the site. I pay for my membership and keep my photos in albums locally. If it is true that participation here is on the wane, I fail to see how investing all of their time on another site is helping the owners cause. It sounds like they might be at risk of losing what they already have here. Perhaps enhancing what is here might be a better course of action for them.

I have seen Facebook and have little interest in it. This thread isn’t likely to change that. I would sooner peruse SBG, it has a more appealing quality.
But again it is for them... so you cant really judge how they use Facebook to promote the site.

I don't want you to think I am disagreeing with you, cause I'm not, I have also worked behind the scene for a number of years and also spent time with Jason years ago and got a better sense for the understanding of how things are run...or least how they used to be. That goes for Badger as well, as John has helped me in ways with my own computer stuff that also helped me to understand the site here.

If you look at the industry as a whole, the majority of companies involved use not only their website but social media as well... Look at RC4WD... they use Facebook, Instagram, their own forum, and at one point here too.

There is no doubt changes here need to be made...Personalyl, if it were me, I'd start with shutting the "Like" feature off...if I wanna like something ill go to FB or IG, if I wanna engage in actual thread id like to do that here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I'm one of the folks who doesn't have facebook, so I can't use it for buying stuff, so it's this forum, ebay, or online hobby stores. We don't have a local hobby shop anywhere close. I've noticed this about our classifieds here. I was buying 3-4 items a week for a while there.... now nothing much crosses it that strikes me unfortunately. Does this forum have a designated area for admin and moderators to discuss possible changes? Has any of this been brought to the attention of the guys running the show? I can't imagine you're the only moderator who feels this way.
Same for me, there was a time when a perk of being a moderator was seeing things before they were approved, now there isnt much to even actually see.

Im not at liberty to say to weather there is a section for the moderators and admin...I can say I am not the only moderator who feels this way.

Let me be clear here, in case its coming across wrong... I love RCC, I love what its done for the hobby. I think there are a lot of great guys, enthusiasts, builders etc here. I have made MANY of personal friends from here. I may only see these guys once, maybe twice a year, sometimes not for many of years, we still text and bust each other balls on Facebook. I think Facebook is a necessary evil to a degree but I do wish RCC would come back to its glory days. The last thing I want to see is this place totally go to shit

As far as "passing the puck"...probably easier said then done, based off an earlier post, we can see the site generates revenue. How much that is I have no idea, but I also know I couldnt afford its "worth" myself. I can say that running an effective forum isnt an easy task and isnt something your spending 10 minutes on throughout the day so whomever got the torch has to be up to the task otherwise things would only get worse...
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #49
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
If that doesn't prove the owners don't give a shit about this site I don't know what does.

I'm sure there are other things this forum has over Facebook groups, but I couldn't think of anything when posting that. One thing I like about this forum now is that it's not so crowded. On Facebook you can post photos of your latest rig or ask a valid and unique question and within a half hour it's buried by newbie questions like "WHAT'S DA FASTESTER RC?!?!" or "Which 1 should I by?" horrible grammar included.

Life changes constantly. People move on from passions. That's fine. This forum owes me nothing. I'm not shelling out money for a star. If I were a star holder I'd be more annoyed by the neglect of the site.

Stay single. New toys cure loneliness! And said toys won't nag or run away. Speaking of toys do you have photos of that Chevelle with that big block in it?
There is no filtering on facebook either so there is always gonna be that newbie crap that is plaguing the page whereas here we ware able to move the posts to where they fit best which helps the OP and helps the senior members...
Attached Images

1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Nice Chevelle, I really like it in silver. Not a common color on them.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #51

Quote:
There is no filtering on facebook either so there is always gonna be that newbie crap that is plaguing the page whereas here we ware able to move the posts to where they fit best which helps the OP and helps the senior members...
Good looking car! But you left out the engine bay.

The 68 through 72 Chevelles are one of my all time favorite muscle cars. I wish they'd re-re them, but do a much better job on the looks than they did with the Camaro.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Same for me, there was a time when a perk of being a moderator was seeing things before they were approved, now there isnt much to even actually see.

Im not at liberty to say to weather there is a section for the moderators and admin...I can say I am not the only moderator who feels this way.
I only asked because I once held a moderator in a large world wide 240sx forum and we had an admin/moderator corner. It was very useful in making team calls on things and making sure we had one others backs. If that isn't the case, it should probably be.

That is a sexy car. Are you Dominic Toreto? I feel like you're Dominic Toreto in hiding....
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

I like you can buy most things today, i could build as i have the skills, but my major problem are i have no place to build, so anything i do have to be done in 1 day as i would have to borrow space and tools at one of my former employers.

The first thing people should do are delete their facetwitt stuff if they have it, it is just "evil" and nothing good have come of it, just hot air balloons if you get me.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
For what it's worth, I'm not new to the hobby but I am new to this forum and I didn't find anyone to be unwelcoming, certainly not in comparison to the average forum. You guys do well in that regard
That is good to hear, sadly atypical for most people I know that have ventured on to RCC for the first time.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

There is no doubt changes here need to be made...Personalyl, if it were me, I'd start with shutting the "Like" feature off...if I wanna like something ill go to FB or IG, if I wanna engage in actual thread id like to do that here.

I like this thread. And I like RCC. I don't have FB. But here's some Boobs to help this thread out.

I will be offended if 1BadJeepBruiser doesn't "like" this post.

Im always super happy when I log in here and see somebody "liked" my posts. A tiny voice in the back of my brain thinks to itself "internet friends".

Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #56
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
I saw John at Axial fest this year, I dont think its that they dont care I think people lives have evolved... I see it even in the core group of guys I am friends with. Many of them are married with the kids now.. life has changed for them

Then there is me... Still not married, my engagement went to shit cause she was a whore, so I took all my wedding money I saved and bought race car shit and toy truck stuff. Big reason as to why I can be active, no wife and no kids.
At least you got smart on the subaru adventure

I agree though, lot of us from 10+ years ago have had a lot of things change. I disappeared for 3 years for family reasons that ended with a divorce, custody of my daughter and buying a house. Luckily it all turned into me coming back and with a business but to a decline in the forums. But even for me its tough to balance the real job, my daughters things, my girlfriend, the house, the business and when I can even myself.

50% is FB I think, people like being told what they want to hear or getting that instant patting on their backs. Forums take a bit tougher skin at times and being able to take criticism no matter what.

Jason and Badger put a lot of family time into the forums, RCC and Competitions so its totally understandable them wanting to be on the outside.

But I think theres enough dedicated mods here that could be given that little extra work and do well with it. Loosen up a bit on some of the rules and just see how it rolls out. Maybe roll the member star back to 10$ and a vendor star to 50$ .... maybe open the For sale up to see to new members but hold rules for be able to post items.

Just try something to see if it changes for the good .... doing nothing will always produce the same results, nothing.

Maybe make some new stickies to help newbs find things easier - bring some old stickies back - make a sticky telling people a good place to rehost pictures would even help.

Just try something
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #57
MODERATOR™

Word up to soapy boobs and beer!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #58
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:

I spoke too soon
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Word up to soapy boobs and beer!
Hand in hand with your Avatar, titties and beer. TOGTFO. But we can be polite about it and all. And build R/C's and whatnot.
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
At least you got smart on the subaru adventure

I agree though, lot of us from 10+ years ago have had a lot of things change. I disappeared for 3 years for family reasons that ended with a divorce, custody of my daughter and buying a house. Luckily it all turned into me coming back and with a business but to a decline in the forums. But even for me its tough to balance the real job, my daughters things, my girlfriend, the house, the business and when I can even myself.

50% is FB I think, people like being told what they want to hear or getting that instant patting on their backs. Forums take a bit tougher skin at times and being able to take criticism no matter what.

Jason and Badger put a lot of family time into the forums, RCC and Competitions so its totally understandable them wanting to be on the outside.

But I think theres enough dedicated mods here that could be given that little extra work and do well with it. Loosen up a bit on some of the rules and just see how it rolls out. Maybe roll the member star back to 10$ and a vendor star to 50$ .... maybe open the For sale up to see to new members but hold rules for be able to post items.

Just try something to see if it changes for the good .... doing nothing will always produce the same results, nothing.

Maybe make some new stickies to help newbs find things easier - bring some old stickies back - make a sticky telling people a good place to rehost pictures would even help.

Just try something

If the vendor star was 50 I’d certainly Renew ... 100 means I have to make 5-10 sets of tires just to break even ... why am I paying 20-100 bucks to be here when I can post free on fb instantly without waiting to be approved or told my pics are too big ? I got more business on fb the first month back , after a 4 year break , than 2 years on rcc ... granted what I do is more niche than some other vendors but *.... there’s also thousands more potential customers there as well as no one slapping your hand..... I love this forum I really do but the lack of participation and high costs , mixed with the photobucket thing( which didn’t effect me ) ... this place just needs a little love like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote

RCC's slow demise? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to understand bunt motor s demise.. 04zrx Electronics 5 03-31-2013 06:11 AM
RCC's coverage and photos badger Competitions 61 07-02-2008 09:50 AM
RCC's pictures from Montana. badger Competitions 36 06-03-2008 05:13 PM