Old 12-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #61
MODERATOR™

Default Re: RCC's slow demise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correll View Post
And build R/C's and whatnot.
Do people still do that?

T&AOGTFO and beers!

I just realized it's almost time to break out the TLT Bronco to smash through some snow piles.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purptr8r View Post
If the vendor star was 50 I’d certainly Renew ... 100 means I have to make 5-10 sets of tires just to break even ... why am I paying 20-100 bucks to be here when I can post free on fb instantly without waiting to be approved or told my pics are too big ? I got more business on fb the first month back , after a 4 year break , than 2 years on rcc ... granted what I do is more niche than some other vendors but *.... there’s also thousands more potential customers there as well as no one slapping your hand..... I love this forum I really do but the lack of participation and high costs , mixed with the photobucket thing( which didn’t effect me ) ... this place just needs a little love like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are a perfect illustration as to why any business must evolve with the times and change as the people you serve change their shopping habits.

Be it RCC or or niche business.

Sad thing is that it takes a ton of energy to get a forum to the level this one is currently at. It could grow larger if the owner was still passionate about it. Problem is as people have already said, people lives change as do their priority. Having kids was huge for me. Did I want to spend 3-4 hours a night writing code, resizing pictures and building fishing rods or did I want to come home from work and spend time with them.

You can't blame people for living their lives.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #63
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
And said toys won't run away.
You've obviously never driven a TMaxx out of transmitter range and helplessly watched it go screaming across a field...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #64
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Nice Chevelle, I really like it in silver. Not a common color on them.
Thanks, everyone loves the silver, it’s actually a Dodge Viper color

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I only asked because I once held a moderator in a large world wide 240sx forum and we had an admin/moderator corner. It was very useful in making team calls on things and making sure we had one others backs. If that isn't the case, it should probably be.

That is a sexy car. Are you Dominic Toreto? I feel like you're Dominic Toreto in hiding....
Without disclosing info that may or may not be allowed the Mods do or did converse with Admin...

Thanks for the props on the car, I occasionally do live my life a 1/4 mile at a time... 11.39 @115

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Good looking car! But you left out the engine bay.

The 68 through 72 Chevelles are one of my all time favorite muscle cars. I wish they'd re-re them, but do a much better job on the looks than they did with the Camaro.
Thanks, engine bay isn’t anything special, smoothed fire wall and a Merlin iron big block between the rails... there may or may not be plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correll View Post

I like this thread. And I like RCC. I don't have FB. But here's some Boobs to help this thread out.

I will be offended if 1BadJeepBruiser doesn't "like" this post.

Im always super happy when I log in here and see somebody "liked" my posts. A tiny voice in the back of my brain thinks to itself "internet friends".
I liked it, now you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Word up to soapy boobs and beer!
Ohhhhhh herrrrrrO EeePee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post

I spoke too soon
I’m a glutton for punishment apparently.... I mean I also put a ring on a girl who went ATM... apparently that is not wife material ... learn something new every day I suppose. That was also an expensive mistake, apparently engagement rings are worth less then half what once you walk out the door and GIA certs and appraisals don’t mean shit.

This is the longest the Subaru has been back together and running. I found a reputable engine builder and decided it’s never gonna be fast so now I do car shows and enjoy watching it collect dust in the garage next to chevelle.

Quote:
If the vendor star was 50 I’d certainly Renew ... 100 means I have to make 5-10 sets of tires just to break even ... why am I paying 20-100 bucks to be here when I can post free on fb instantly without waiting to be approved or told my pics are too big ? I got more business on fb the first month back , after a 4 year break , than 2 years on rcc ... granted what I do is more niche than some other vendors but *.... there’s also thousands more potential customers there as well as no one slapping your hand..... I love this forum I really do but the lack of participation and high costs , mixed with the photobucket thing( which didn’t effect me ) ... this place just needs a little love like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree

I’m all for change, but things like that gotta come from the top, hopefully they review this thread.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #65
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
You've obviously never driven a TMaxx out of transmitter range and helplessly watched it go screaming across a field...
This made me laugh
Old 12-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Thanks, everyone loves the silver, it’s actually a Dodge Viper color

Without disclosing info that may or may not be allowed the Mods do or did converse with Admin...

Thanks for the props on the car, I occasionally do live my life a 1/4 mile at a time... 11.39 @115

Thanks, engine bay isn’t anything special, smoothed fire wall and a Merlin iron big block between the rails... there may or may not be plate

I liked it, now you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Ohhhhhh herrrrrrO EeePee

I’m a glutton for punishment apparently.... I mean I also put a ring on a girl who went ATM... apparently that is not wife material ... learn something new every day I suppose. That was also an expensive mistake, apparently engagement rings are worth less then half what once you walk out the door and GIA certs and appraisals don’t mean shit.

This is the longest the Subaru has been back together and running. I found a reputable engine builder and decided it’s never gonna be fast so now I do car shows and enjoy watching it collect dust in the garage next to chevelle.

I’m all for change, but things like that gotta come from the top, hopefully they review this thread.

I’m also die hard Subaru no matter how many turbos or tranny’s I blow up

Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
T-Maxx no. But this did happen to me with my first hobby grade RC - Tamiya Hornet. I lived next to a police station and their equipment played havoc with AM/FM radios.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

@1BJB- where's the 'Yota?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Something I’ve noticed also which is a signal slow demise. I follow a couple R/C channels on YouTube. There content when I first got back into r/c cars. Was weekly. Now it’s down to once a month if lucky.

jeeptec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptec View Post
Something I’ve noticed also which is a signal slow demise. I follow a couple R/C channels on YouTube. There content when I first got back into r/c cars. Was weekly. Now it’s down to once a month if lucky.

Don't confuse that with saturated. There is so much new stuff that it gets diluted. Couple rc channels with the scoop get lots of hits thus more effort to stay current, 20 rc channels all doing the same split the traffic.

I really think you are noticing a change in habits not a down turn of scaling. I don't know that as a fact, but there are so many new trucks this year. I keep running into 20 somethings picking it up. Facebook is alive with scale, lots of companies making parts. It really does feel alive.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #71
Rock Stacker

Great thread. I really enjoy the forum.
Back when I was carpet, and dirt racing, never had interweb. It was around, but I didn't have it. Learned from those at the track, or talk at the LHS.
Now coming back into the world of RC, after many years away, it was, well, sort of spooky/scary...
I've been on another (off topic) forum for years, and some over there treat the "new meat" kinda shitty. And I was thinking this was going to be the same here. Being I was the "new meat", I was nervous to ask questions, figured I'd get the do some research.
Well it's tough doing research, when one doesn't know all the terminology. So did a bunch of thread reading, yeah, not much for old thread pictures, but it helped some. Contacted a few members by PM, that was a great help, super nice folks.
Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is. It would be a shame if the forum went to shit in a handbag. Especially for us who are new to the crawler world, and learning from you all who've been at this for years.
As for me, from the questions I've asked thus far, everyone has been very kind, and understanding when answering my, most likely "dump" questions. But we all learn, some quicker than others...
For my 2 cents, I to would drop the like button. We had one over on one of the other forums (off topic) I regular. It's gone, and the post count went way up. Much more participation.
And over there, the mods do have a room, they discuss in. For the "big wheels"...
Sorry for the blah, blah, blah, but that's me.
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

I definitely think scale RC is at the height of its popularity - and rising! The proof is in all of the new trucks, parts, and constant manufacturer innovation. Even the knock offs and low budget items are booming.

Sadly its just this site that is on the down turn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Don't confuse that with saturated. There is so much new stuff that it gets diluted. Couple rc channels with the scoop get lots of hits thus more effort to stay current, 20 rc channels all doing the same split the traffic.

I really think you are noticing a change in habits not a down turn of scaling. I don't know that as a fact, but there are so many new trucks this year. I keep running into 20 somethings picking it up. Facebook is alive with scale, lots of companies making parts. It really does feel alive.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

I've recieved nothing but help here on RCC, but I've certainly witnessed new members being flamed, especially on older threads. It did however take me up until the last month to hit thirty posts - not because I am not on the forum (I browse nearly every day) but because, due to the wealth of information, there just was not much to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy1 View Post
Great thread. I really enjoy the forum.
Back when I was carpet, and dirt racing, never had interweb. It was around, but I didn't have it. Learned from those at the track, or talk at the LHS.
Now coming back into the world of RC, after many years away, it was, well, sort of spooky/scary...
I've been on another (off topic) forum for years, and some over there treat the "new meat" kinda shitty. And I was thinking this was going to be the same here. Being I was the "new meat", I was nervous to ask questions, figured I'd get the do some research.
Well it's tough doing research, when one doesn't know all the terminology. So did a bunch of thread reading, yeah, not much for old thread pictures, but it helped some. Contacted a few members by PM, that was a great help, super nice folks.
Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is. It would be a shame if the forum went to shit in a handbag. Especially for us who are new to the crawler world, and learning from you all who've been at this for years.
As for me, from the questions I've asked thus far, everyone has been very kind, and understanding when answering my, most likely "dump" questions. But we all learn, some quicker than others...
For my 2 cents, I to would drop the like button. We had one over on one of the other forums (off topic) I regular. It's gone, and the post count went way up. Much more participation.
And over there, the mods do have a room, they discuss in. For the "big wheels"...
Sorry for the blah, blah, blah, but that's me.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Getting liked makes me feel good and all, but I'd rather read a reply as it's more personal and *usually* encouraging. LOLZ

+1 to scrap the LIKE button.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:15 AM   #75
RCC Addict

Regarding the "like" function...

Disabling it will generally NOT increase participation. Without it, many members ( especially newer members) will simply stop posting... feeling ( accurately or not) unappreciated, not taken seriously, or of no help. We went through this on another forum after a software/ security upgrade left the feature disabled. Not having the "like" feature most definitely does NOT encourage members to post more... only less. Noobs are especially affected by this and those noobs are in many instances partly responsible for helping to keep new topics/ new threads alive. Many people ( again... especially noobs) do not feel like posting a reply simply to say "good job", "I agree", "cool project", etc. They feel as if that is looked at unfavorably due to the "no tech/ no help" aspect of the comment. Most members do not wish to to clog up a thread with filler so they just say nothing instead and subsequently leave the OP or previous posters often feeling as if no one is really being helped or even listening to what they're saying.

Just hope that people consider both sides to the "like" feature.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:52 AM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
Been on here for 10 years.

To me the biggest issue is that everything is store bought now. Why post or even look at threads of scale rigs, when all scale rigs pretty much look the same with everyone just putting on the same store bought scale stuff.

7 to 10 years ago you had to scratch make everything. So it was a little more involved looking at threads for the next scale secret or how someone made something for that particular rig.
I agree with the store bought and I think that's one of the reasons for this hobby's decline in popularity: Have you seen the prices? I mean, 80 bucks for a metal bumper, 60 for sliders, 400 for a kit... When I was still living in Brazil, those prices were all multiplied by 3 with import taxes and shipping, and the money was worth 2 times less than a dollar. Take that!

What gives me hope is the 3d printing revolution and it's already happening.

And photobucket's big hustle too. It's owners deserve a slow painful death...

Last edited by stormridersp; 12-13-2017 at 03:07 AM.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:25 AM   #77
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
I’m also die hard Subaru no matter how many turbos or tranny’s I blow up

6 speed swap...problem solved...till you start shitting r160s...ask me how I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
@1BJB- where's the 'Yota?
Living the good life next to the garage, had it out this weekend, drives nice with the new pitbulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Getting liked makes me feel good and all, but I'd rather read a reply as it's more personal and *usually* encouraging. LOLZ

+1 to scrap the LIKE button.
THANK YOU! someone gets it

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Regarding the "like" function...

Disabling it will generally NOT increase participation. Without it, many members ( especially newer members) will simply stop posting... feeling ( accurately or not) unappreciated, not taken seriously, or of no help. We went through this on another forum after a software/ security upgrade left the feature disabled. Not having the "like" feature most definitely does NOT encourage members to post more... only less. Noobs are especially affected by this and those noobs are in many instances partly responsible for helping to keep new topics/ new threads alive. Many people ( again... especially noobs) do not feel like posting a reply simply to say "good job", "I agree", "cool project", etc. They feel as if that is looked at unfavorably due to the "no tech/ no help" aspect of the comment. Most members do not wish to to clog up a thread with filler so they just say nothing instead and subsequently leave the OP or previous posters often feeling as if no one is really being helped or even listening to what they're saying.

Just hope that people consider both sides to the "like" feature.
I'm sorry who are you with your 11/17 join date

Sorry my 10 year ago 1BadJeepBrusier inner me came out back when we would bust peoples and it was fun, hopefully your not offended

So let me get this straight.... You think, that getting a "like" keeps the forum going?????? Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds. What if we just turned off posting or replies and only allowed likes? How would these "noobs" feel then? Honestly if your coming here to get "likes" you can take your snow flake ass back to Facebook cause that is ridiculous

The "good job" "nice truck" posts have there place, and as long as the administration tells the mods how to handle is effectively IE: not just doing it to see the classifieds (which use to be an issue here). Those post have a place a because 1): It keeps the OP engaged in his own thread 2) Also allows new threads to not just run over it and send it back 2-3 pages and keep it fresher...

I know for me, I am just about tired of spending the time, taking pictures, resizing them, uploading them, typing out a well thought out thread or reply only for people to only "like" it...I'm loosing interest...whereas I can go to another forum and I actually get interaction, suggestions, some ball busting etc which keeps me engaged in my build thread, engaged in my build overall, and the damn forum as a whole

We are in different times now... Sometimes when I see the 786th trail finder II build I don't have any "tech" reply...sometimes I may just like the damn color the guy painted it because its not red, OD green, or tan and if I wanna post "Good color choice" I should be able to without key board warrior moderator deleting my post because he thinks I am padding to see the classifieds

Here are my ideas laid the fawk out for everyone to see

1)SHIT CAN THE LIKE BUTTON, BURN IT, then BURN it AGAIN!

2)Loosen up the grip...who gives a rat's ass if someone says "cool truck" and moves on

3)open the classifieds.... still don't allow replies because all the idiots will come out of the woodwork with their BS but open it up for anyone to see regardless of post count. In today's era with credit card protection and PayPal scamming don't work so well, not saying it doesn't happen but that's why we have a feedback page. Its not RCCs problem if you buy something and the seller doesn't send it...I see it ALLLLLL day long on Facebook and guess what?? do people go and bitch to facebook and say SO and So scammed me? Noooo!! fawk outta here! FB dont give a rat's ass if you dumbass paid some guy in the middle of bum fawk no where 1280$ for his "built" scx10 and you were dumb enough to pay family and friends

4)Gotta do something to bring the vendor drive back, I don't know what that is, maybe its lessening the star if possible? Offering a month free banner ad or something? I don't know...but what I do know is I can go to facebook, start my own page, sell my shit for free and it has a huge audience

I think this would be a good start... just my .02

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 12-13-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:04 AM   #78
RCC Addict

Fantastic post yet again 1BJB. I'm pretty shocked Jason and Badger didn't warm their greed machine up enough to launch a "12 days of RCC Christmas annual star money grab" this year.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #79
Yashua

^^^ what he said .
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post

I'm sorry who are you with your 11/17 join date

Sorry my 10 year ago 1BadJeepBrusier inner me came out back when we would bust peoples and it was fun, hopefully your not offended

So let me get this straight.... You think, that getting a "like" keeps the forum going?????? Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds. What if we just turned off posting or replies and only allowed likes? How would these "noobs" feel then? Honestly if your coming here to get "likes" you can take your snow flake ass back to Facebook cause that is ridiculous

The "good job" "nice truck" posts have there place, and as long as the administration tells the mods how to handle is effectively IE: not just doing it to see the classifieds (which use to be an issue here). Those post have a place a because 1): It keeps the OP engaged in his own thread 2) Also allows new threads to not just run over it and send it back 2-3 pages and keep it fresher...

I know for me, I am just about tired of spending the time, taking pictures, resizing them, uploading them, typing out a well thought out thread or reply only for people to only "like" it...I'm loosing interest...whereas I can go to another forum and I actually get interaction, suggestions, some ball busting etc which keeps me engaged in my build thread, engaged in my build overall, and the damn forum as a whole

We are in different times now... Sometimes when I see the 786th trail finder II build I don't have any "tech" reply...sometimes I may just like the damn color the guy painted it because its not red, OD green, or tan and if I wanna post "Good color choice" I should be able to without key board warrior moderator deleting my post because he thinks I am padding to see the classifieds
I'm not offended in the least although I don't think that my recent join-date has much relevance regarding what I posted above. I also never stated that "likes keep the forum going"... I only eluded to what I've seen on other forums... that sometimes a new guy on a forum may feel that their input isn't relevant if he or she receives no feedback. "Likes" are a quick and simple way to let the poster feel as if their comment has been well-received. Fwiw, I've seen some forums actually discourage comments like "cool info! Thanks for sharing" in certain threads so being a new-guy here, I really wasn't quite sure how this particular forum felt about that.

Btw... Not a snowflake by any stretch nor have I ever had a facebook account in my life... no desire. I'd rather have this type of interaction regardless of your knee-jerk opinion about me. I didn't come here for "likes" either. I came to be part of a community that discusses a variety of cool topics and to learn and to share... That's about it.

Lastly, I'm just playing devils advocate here because I've witnessed the positive as well as the negative ( perceived or actual) in just about every feature, function, TOS, admin/ mod decision that encompasses a forum. "Damned if you do/ damned if you don't" and "Can't please everybody" are certainly applicable with most forums decisions, rules, features/ lack of features, etc... so I understand opposing perspectives for the most part.

Anyway... no disrespect intended to anyone, just wanted to offer up another side and I honestly understand where you're coming from, 1BJB.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

RCC's slow demise? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to understand bunt motor s demise.. 04zrx Electronics 5 03-31-2013 06:11 AM
RCC's coverage and photos badger Competitions 61 07-02-2008 09:50 AM
RCC's pictures from Montana. badger Competitions 36 06-03-2008 05:13 PM