Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Coronavirus - Covid-19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #341
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19

It’s getting a little better but things like toilet paper, paper towels, hand soap, anything Lysol, meat, and canned/frozen veggies and soup are almost completely gone everywhere I look.

Water has been scarce too, for anything other than solo 20oz bottles.

They’re starting to limit what people can buy so I hope it keeps improving. I had to pick up a couple of paper towel rolls at a gas station in Mojave California yesterday since they had them and I’m almost out at home.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #342
RCC Addict

I want to take this opportunity to wish EVERYONE in the RCC community well. I know that people are concerned and agitated about all kinds of uncertainty related to this situation. Plenty to criticize about the leaders of this world and how things are being handled as it relates to the health and safety of citizens across the globe but I dunno how important that discussion should be to us as individuals. This is all out of our control now.

Please... stay safe, stay calm, and live each and every day like it's a gift. I've had to try to let go of my anger and sadness in order to get back to simply appreciating everything in my own little world that has ever made me feel blessed. Life is precious... appreciate it and enjoy it while it's still here.

Best to all of you and remember that one thing we can ALL do, is to charge a couple battery packs and go out and bash or crawl to our hearts content. As long as I still have that opportunity, I think I'm going to take it!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #343
I wanna be Dave

I'm annoyed that I haven't been able to find/buy chicken for several weeks now.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #344
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I want to take this opportunity to wish EVERYONE in the RCC community well. I know that people are concerned and agitated about all kinds of uncertainty related to this situation. Plenty to criticize about the leaders of this world and how things are being handled as it relates to the health and safety of citizens across the globe but I dunno how important that discussion should be to us as individuals. This is all out of our control now.

Please... stay safe, stay calm, and live each and every day like it's a gift. I've had to try to let go of my anger and sadness in order to get back to simply appreciating everything in my own little world that has ever made me feel blessed. Life is precious... appreciate it and enjoy it while it's still here.

Best to all of you and remember that one thing we can ALL do, is to charge a couple battery packs and go out and bash or crawl to our hearts content. As long as I still have that opportunity, I think I'm going to take it!
Cheers HPD. Thank you for the thoughtful post.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #345
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Donald Trump is a master manipulator. I don’t agree with people that say he’s stupid, because he’s not. He can be an idiot, but that doesn’t mean he’s stupid.

With that in mind, he very carefully presented it this way to avoid being able to be directly tied to calling this a hoax. So when he presented it he did it in a manner of quoting some unnamed third party “one of my people”.

What he did do, was successfully correlate the virus to a democratic created hoax, and that’s all he needed to do for his base to run with it. Look at the first couple pages of this very thread and you’ll see it in action.

The man works like a mafia boss, and is expertly capable of getting this done and communicated without ever having to actually say it. He had Sean Hannity and his base saying it while Trump himself didn’t have to.
So despite AP and Snopes agreeing that Trump didn't make the claim you still choose to believe otherwise. Meanwhile Democrats weren't spreading exaggerated claims about the virus or lying about the actions that were taken? I personally didn't believe the hype being spread by the media but was, and still am, aware of the danger posed by any novel virus with such a high transmission rate and as yet unknown lethality rate. Does calling BS on the media hype mean that I'm a virus denier?

There is still an over-abundance of people who dislike Trump simply because the media told them he was bad. Media was still claiming that Dr Fauci was being muzzled after Dr Fauci himself said he was not.

Do you remember when the travel ban was racist/white supremacist/xenophobic? That shtick is getting old and it really didn't age well in this case.

I think that the response by the administration has been fairly good. Not beyond criticism, but fairly good. The media and DNC response has been nothing short of reprehensible in most cases. Carrying water for the Chi-coms was definitely and unequivocally disgusting. No amount of reading between the lines and seeing "mafia boss" tendencies without definitive evidence will change that.

~more facts, logic and personal responsibility would make the world a far better place than all the leftist ideas could dream of.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #346
Gold Star Baby!

Yes, as supported directly by the link you posted.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/

“ What's True

During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.”

“ Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa, they can’t even count. No they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over, they’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We’re 15 people [cases of coronavirus infection] in this massive country. And because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that.”

If you’ve read my posts you surely see that I’m not sitting here regurgitating headlines and posting links to articles, and am instead putting critical thoughts into my own words and arguments. I’m not the type of person to believe anything just because someone told me so, ask my high school Dean (if you could).

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-23-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
Do you remember when the travel ban was racist/white supremacist/xenophobic? That shtick is getting old and it really didn't age well in this case.
This is the best part! Mexico finally agrees a secured border isn't racist. Oh and Mexico is fine to take Mexicans back, but they don't want illegals from other countries. The irony is becoming laughable.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-23-2020 at 12:03 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #348
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Are any of you guys having trouble getting groceries? We're pretty good and we've been lucky, but I've heard of not so distant people having issues finding good stuff at the grocery stores.
Last time I was at the store, all the bread was gone but you could easily buy refrigerated or frozen bread dough.

It goes to show that, even when the world is descending into chaos, people are still too lazy to even turn on their ovens.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #349
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Yes, as supported directly by the link you posted.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/

“ What's True

During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.”

“ Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa, they can’t even count. No they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over, they’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We’re 15 people [cases of coronavirus infection] in this massive country. And because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that.”

If you’ve read my posts you surely see that I’m not sitting here regurgitating headlines and posting links to articles, and am instead putting critical thoughts into my own words and arguments. I’m not the type of person to believe anything just because someone told me so, ask my high school Dean (if you could).
We could have been in a much better situation without the Chi-com cover-up enabled by the WHO, which, incidentally, is run by somebody who owes his position to Chinese support. The political manouevring started early in this case. Seeing US media, even now, lying in support of the Chi-coms is enough to let us know that the media does not have our best interests at heart.

~more facts, logic and personal responsibility would make the world a far better place than all the leftist ideas could dream of.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Last time I was at the store, all the bread was gone but you could easily buy refrigerated or frozen bread dough.

It goes to show that, even when the world is descending into chaos, people are still too lazy to even turn on their ovens.
That's a good secret stash, but now you gave it away!

Thankfully I have a girlfriend that can cook her ass off or else I might starve. She has bread maker if it comes down to it. Warm, fresh, homemade bread is amazing.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #351
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
We could have been in a much better situation without the Chi-com cover-up enabled by the WHO, which, incidentally, is run by somebody who owes his position to Chinese support. The political manouevring started early in this case. Seeing US media, even now, lying in support of the Chi-coms is enough to let us know that the media does not have our best interests at heart.

Flat earth ?? Anybody ??
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #352

Fortunately, after being caught unprepared for the massive ammo shortage of 2013, I was able to see this food shortage coming in time to stock up. As soon as I saw toilet paper getting scarce, I knew that food would be next, and I bought an extra month's worth of non-perishables. Oddly enough, it's all the perishable food that keeps disappearing... bread, meat, etc. It's clear to me that these panic buyers aren't really thinking through their decisions. I'm guessing that most of the people buying $200 worth of steak and Wonder bread don't have enough freezer space to actually hold it all.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #353
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm guessing that most of the people buying $200 worth of steak and Wonder bread don't have enough freezer space to actually hold it all.
This is what my wife and I are wondering. I'd be pissed if all the hoarders are letting food rot away and go to waste.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Fortunately, after being caught unprepared for the massive ammo shortage of 2013, I was able to see this food shortage coming in time to stock up. As soon as I saw toilet paper getting scarce, I knew that food would be next, and I bought an extra month's worth of non-perishables. Oddly enough, it's all the perishable food that keeps disappearing... bread, meat, etc. It's clear to me that these panic buyers aren't really thinking through their decisions. I'm guessing that most of the people buying $200 worth of steak and Wonder bread don't have enough freezer space to actually hold it all.
Along those lines, I believe fridges, freezers and cupboards are eventually going to get filled up and grocery stores will be normally stock again.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #355
RCC Addict

Quote:
Along those lines, I believe fridges, freezers and cupboards are eventually going to get filled up and grocery stores will be normally stock again.
My wife went to Costco today and they were fully stocked with toilet paper, paper towels, beef, and chicken, so she scored on TP and paper towels. Not so much for us, but for neighbors that haven't been able to get any. My wife is now a TP dealer.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #356
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sheet metal products and other fabrication. We make very few of our own products. Our main function is contract manufacturing.

We have a customer that makes manufacturing equipment for plastics manufacturing and some of their customer are medical so they are claiming "essential". That's an "out" for my company as being essential because we are supplying other essential customers.

Are any of you guys having trouble getting groceries? We're pretty good and we've been lucky, but I've heard of not so distant people having issues finding good stuff at the grocery stores.
Been hit or miss here in B.C., I have enough to go 2-3 weeks, about all I can squeeze into the fridge/freezer, still need to go out for veggies/milk

Most stores have signs up, only 2 of same item, like meat, paper products.

At times, it has appeared a swarm of locusts has gone through the store, all little better now that many are stocked up..still lacking canned goods

It's all very surreal, I'm spending my time playing around with the stereo gear, and building some models.

Last edited by vonclod; 03-23-2020 at 02:34 PM.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #357

Good to hear most people are finding supplies! I think a lot of stores are putting limits on certain things which is a great idea.
Also, some (maybe all) of the grocery stores around here are opening the first hour to seniors only which I love. Let them get in and get out with necessities without having to fight for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
It's all very surreal, I'm spending my time playing around with the stereo gear, and building some models.
Surreal is a great way to describe it! I never thought I'd experience something like this in my lifetime.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #358
RCC Addict

It had been getting better her,e but a stay at home order for all of Oregon was put in place today so the grocery stores and CostCo got stripped again.

Meanwhile the TV news was running a story about how Portland's garbage service was seeing a big increase rotten produce being thrown away. Add to that we are getting an increase of people breaking into stores while they are closed and taking what they want.

So I am back in the bunker trying to decide to buy a Capra kit or put together the XR10 kit that I had put in the cabinet in 2011 and forgot about. I was waiting for the cutting break option that never really happened.

Any thoughts?
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #359
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sheet metal products and other fabrication. We make very few of our own products. Our main function is contract manufacturing.

We have a customer that makes manufacturing equipment for plastics manufacturing and some of their customer are medical so they are claiming "essential". That's an "out" for my company as being essential because we are supplying other essential customers.

I haven't seen chicken or ground beef at the closest Food Lion in over a week. I try to go every Sunday morning to see if there is anything. I did score some chicken at the Kroger which is further away. Pretty sure I have forgotten what toilet paper and paper towels look like.

We are a fairly populous place with only 3 choices for groceries within a 10 mile radius in any direction. I'm hoping once people realize this is for the long haul and the grocery stores aren't going anywhere they will ease up on the hoarding and we can have normal food selection again. Where I am going to get next weeks meals for us is a reality for me right now.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
It had been getting better her,e but a stay at home order for all of Oregon was put in place today so the grocery stores and CostCo got stripped again.

Meanwhile the TV news was running a story about how Portland's garbage service was seeing a big increase rotten produce being thrown away. Add to that we are getting an increase of people breaking into stores while they are closed and taking what they want.

So I am back in the bunker trying to decide to buy a Capra kit or put together the XR10 kit that I had put in the cabinet in 2011 and forgot about. I was waiting for the cutting break option that never really happened.

Any thoughts?
That makes human sense - buy too much food and throw it out in a time when people are clamoring for food...

I'd say get Capra or the SCX10 III. Save the XR10 for another day or hold onto it longer and make money on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I haven't seen chicken or ground beef at the closest Food Lion in over a week. I try to go every Sunday morning to see if there is anything. I did score some chicken at the Kroger which is further away. Pretty sure I have forgotten what toilet paper and paper towels look like.

We are a fairly populous place with only 3 choices for groceries within a 10 mile radius in any direction. I'm hoping once people realize this is for the long haul and the grocery stores aren't going anywhere they will ease up on the hoarding and we can have normal food selection again. Where I am going to get next weeks meals for us is a reality for me right now.
Damn that's a bummer and kinda scary! No local butchers or farms?