Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Jato The Ripper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Jato The Ripper?

This forum is waaaay more active than a few others I’ve been involved with over the years (trucks and motorcycles). Way less drama too. I’m a longtime member of a Chevy truck forum and it used to be huge, thousands of members and a crapload of notifications every time I logged in...now it’s like a dozen active and all they do is flame guys for either not using the search, or for starting a new thread. Like ‘why did you resurrect this topic by commenting, no don’t start a new one, you should have searched...yes we just contradicted ourselves” lol.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
This forum is waaaay more active than a few others I’ve been involved with over the years (trucks and motorcycles). Way less drama too. I’m a longtime member of a Chevy truck forum and it used to be huge, thousands of members and a crapload of notifications every time I logged in...now it’s like a dozen active and all they do is flame guys for either not using the search, or for starting a new thread. Like ‘why did you resurrect this topic by commenting, no don’t start a new one, you should have searched...yes we just contradicted ourselves” lol.

Lot of forums like that. I get it. it gets old answering the same questions over and over but, at least there is new members/interest. Goes the same for this here.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #23

What's up guys?!

A little birdie told me some people were asking about me so I stopped over and found this thread. I sold every last RC car and RC part and I quit!

Just kidding! I really appreciate you guys asking about my whereabouts and thinking about me! It means a lot. I hope you are all doing well, kicking ass, taking names and building the RC of your dreams.

Despite my sometimes, umm, different demeanor, I think you guys know I love this place. I'm a diehard. I've been active on here for a long time (actually twice as long as my longest relationship - which is currently ongoing) sometimes contributing and sometimes not. But this place has brought me lots of entertainment, enjoyment, socializing and even real world friends.

I still do stop over here believe it or not. It's only to answer PMs though as a small part of my mod duties. Yes, I'm still a mod, but I've been a bad mod full of neglect. I do think about it and feel bad for dumping it all on Topher. I also still converse with Mike when I can't execute the requested action in PMs. In fact I texted him just before this about a non RC matter. It's just that adulting has gotten in the way of RC!

As for why I've been MIA - well there's lots of reasons. COVID, as shitty as it is, has done its part to reinvigorate American manufacturing. I am busier than ever at my day job as a Project Manager/Design Engineer at a sheet metal fabricator. We literally can't keep up with demand. I did work at home for about 4 months, but now I'm back in the office. On top of this, we got a new engineer, right out of college that's greener than moldy money. So I stepped up to mentor him since nobody else was doing that. You'd think the engineering manager would be involved in that, but... So anyway, I simply don't have downtime at work to browse like I used to.

And as the birdie stated above, motorcycles have consumed me this year. Motorcycling is the original and ultimate social distancing activity! My "big bike" (Buell) only got ridden once or twice, but my Grom has been my ongoing project and leisure toy. Not long ago I installed a Yoshimura cam, Sex Machine Racing (what a name!) stiffer clutch springs, a billet clutch plate and some Womet-Tech levers. I used to love riding fast and then it got me in a lot of trouble so I put bikes away and basically just gave up riding for a few years. With the Grom I can constantly have the throttle cranked to the stops and giving it the beans and still be barely breaking the speed limit. If you don't understand the challenge and the fun of trying to go fast on something slow then you probably won't ever understand. My current, new top speed on the highway is an honest 69 MPH!

And then there's the fact that I've been looking for a place to live in the craziest housing market ever. My landlord is selling the place I've been renting for nearly 13 years. My plan was to buy it when they were ready to sell, but their daughter decided she wants to downsize from her new, custom home and, well, she has more pull with her parents than I do. Everything happens for a reason though and my new, white trash with cash neighbors are a chore to live next to. Hopefully my future neighbors will be better. My girlfriend and I looked at 23 houses because we refuse to overpay and that's a tough stand in this insane and competitive market, especially when you're faced with being homeless. We believe we found one so keep all of your fingers crossed! Don't even uncross them to type. Use your face!

And so, because of all of this, I haven't touched RC since about February when I did a trail run with OSRC. I did buy the SCX24 that I may or may not have posted about, but after installing wheels and tires and driving it once or twice it was never touched again.
Attached Images

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 12-12-2020 at 07:44 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

JATO!!
Glad to see you stop by. Yeah... your um... "demeanor"..
while you can seem a bit abrasive, you speak honestly.
You do you man. some of us just notice when the OGs are absent more than others I guess. Glad you are doin OK and understand life gets in the way sometimes and, adulting sucks! Just stop by occasionally and ell us all to piss off so we know you're alive. Same for all the other absentees mentioned in this thread.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Riding............Yup a way of life.
2wheels take the work stress off, but leave little time for much else, Keep working, stay safe and happy!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Always great to see Topher, Durok, Shinchu, and Walsh around here. I still stop by but this year has had me really busy with home-remodeling projects. Plus, losing my job earlier this year has meant quite a reduced amount of disposable income for RC projects. I think a lot of people are reeling from this being such a messed up year in many ways... idk.

But I'll always come here... too old and unpopular for IG and fake-book!

BTW- Shout out to Justin and Ernie too! Hope that everyone has a prosperous incoming 2021. Please stay safe and keep crawlin'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I'm admittedly not as active daily as I used to be, but I eventually do catch up and mass post everything I've been doing. I'm still behind too. This year has been a bit challenging though, but I hope this forum can rebound eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I got really busy with a move, so I was not around here much from August through October. Things have settled down for me and now I am excited about RC again, but it does seem like there are just a few less people here to share my excitement with than a few months ago.

Honestly, I am starting to hate this ancient forum software. It’s not great on a phone. I was using Tapatalk, but that app would drain my iPhone battery so fast. My phone was literally warm to the touch. It’s a pain to share photos here. That’s a big deal. Also the fact that this site is less secure than your average XXX site is just a little odd.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Great to see some of the ogs still hanging out here
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:18 AM   #28
Slow is the new Fast

Good to hear you are well Jato, thanks for stopping in. Good lead-in line on your post. It completely took me by surprise You are definitely a die-hard, always been my impression. Glad to hear you’ve been both playing and working hard.

I have definitely taken my share of stretches away from RC as well. However this unusual year found me with more time than ever and less people to spend it with. RC kinda kept me focussed and I put a lot of that time into it.

Just want to see this forum keep chugging along
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:41 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

It's a miracle that anyone is using this forum with how it looks and works (or doesnt). Migrating all the content to a newer platform would be too expensive and complex, I guess...
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:21 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Im kinda in the same boat as everybody else. This covid crap has everybody shut in, but thankfully we're still able to keep workin. Wen it first hit n evrything got shut down, we were worried how things were goina come about. They told us down here that only "essentials" were allowed to work. Truckers, cabinet factories, contractors, n construction were considered "essential", so thankfully we didnt have to shut down. Since all this pandemic started, weve been pretty well wide open pourin concrete. Everybody stuck at home are finally gettin home projects done lol.

I still pop in n check things out here n there. Like WHITETRASH said, the consolidated some subs n makes it hard to follow at times, so i kinda pick n choose wat to catch up on from time to time. I see theres quite a few new guys/gals here with some good lookin builds, glad to see this place still alive. Would be nice to post pics here a bit easier, tapatalk went kinda goofy on me n havent used it since.

Ive got a few rigs ive been workin on. Traded my project capra awhile back for a trx4. Havent got to run it much, needs a lil more work. I did get my vs4 build done, that was a fun one. I pieced it together rather than buyin the kit, but wen moneys tight u do wat u gotta do lol. Link to a pic is posted in the vs4 pic only thread. I did see it was in the list of pics on 'lightroom live" on youtube, just waitin for it to be picked...

But ive been sinkin alot of money into gettin a truck runnin. My uncle gave me a 87 f250 back in march. Its been sittin for 15 yrs n was used on the farm more than it was used on the road since he bought it new. Bonus was my dad, stepmom, brother n his 2 kids brought it down to me. Hadnt seen them for 2 yrs wen gpa passed away. But ive been sinkin money in this ol truck. New alternator, plugs, filters, oil change, fuel pump n regulator. Shes runnin pretty good now, but think a starter is my next move. She starts up good, then doesnt wanna turn over unless i put the jumpers to her. Last time i drove her i had to get a jump, like the batt was dead. Started fine the other day, so guessin the starter is shot.

Good to see all th OGs still here. Got alot of inspiration from builds. Alot of help from TB, ernie, justin, OSRC, jato, n many otheres. Much appreciated fellas!!!!!

Yall stay safe thru this mess we all have to deal with. Keep those builds comin lol. Good luck on the new house jato!
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Good to see you still around JATO!

I'm still here as well. Not going anywhere. Love this forum and all the great people I've met on here. I'm with allot of the others. The sub forums have made me not pay as much attention to those threads in those sections. Maybe ort should be switched back???

I haven't been doing all that much to my rigs. Crawling when I get a chance. I do have some updates i need to post and about 4 videos I need to finish editing. I've been at a new job since March. Which has kept me really busy. Still working 6 days a week. Along with family life and Corona B/S. My hobby has been pushed toward the back a bit. I've been staring at the CODYBOY 6x6 on my bench allot. Trying to figure out how I wanna finish it. Wanna make sure I make Ernie proud. Hope you all have a great day and happy holidays!

I'll get back to posting soon!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #32
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
This made me chuckle. There are always a few forum nazis trying to keep everyone in line...

This place is definitely chilled out. In reality there is no reason it should be anything other than encouraging and helpful. It’s a hobby forum after all. The political threads in here do get heated, but is gonna happen anywhere politics are being discussed.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Good to see you still around JATO!

The sub forums have made me not pay as much attention to

When browsing, I almost always just search for the "new posts," so subforum shakeups don't make too much difference to me.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #34
Gold Star Baby!

This thread is churning up some great names. Awesome to hear from you all.

Tim, no sweat about mod stuff. THX handles all the classifieds and that’s where most the activity is. Sadly, since the emails broke we haven’t been getting many new members so there aren’t as many new threads to approve or move around.

Most the people that post here are seasoned so I don’t have to do much of anything but enjoy the forum most days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
When browsing, I almost always just search for the "new posts," so subforum shakeups don't make too much difference to me.
What’s up rkj!

Forum Spy and New Posts are the only way I can keep up too. I still miss some things though.

Sometimes I wish we could have just a handful of general subs and use tags to filter through all the brand and model specifics. That’d take a lot of work and is something that an admin would have to consider and execute.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
This thread is churning up some great names. Awesome to hear from you all.

Tim, no sweat about mod stuff. THX handles all the classifieds and that’s where most the activity is. Sadly, since the emails broke we haven’t been getting many new members so there aren’t as many new threads to approve or move around.

Most the people that post here are seasoned so I don’t have to do much of anything but enjoy the forum most days.

What’s up rkj!

Forum Spy and New Posts are the only way I can keep up too. I still miss some things though.

Sometimes I wish we could have just a handful of general subs and use tags to filter through all the brand and model specifics. That’d take a lot of work and is something that an admin would have to consider and execute.

Just wanted to chime in with a little update for Codyboy. I did give my 6x6 project to Justin, i know I would have never finished it.
I'm still working through my cancer meds treatments and how it changed my mind set. Basically testosterone is food for prostrate cancer and even though I had my prostrate removed in 2014 the cancer had made a small move outside the prostrate. We went through radiation and hormone therapy then, and thought we were done with it. And then comes 2020 and we founds signs that the cancer was pushing to come back. In a couple months my PSA count went from 3.4 to a 14.8 in 3 months.
So I had to start the therapy again, and here is where my major problems begin. #1 I need not elaborate on, after all I'm 71!! Next the absences of testosterone changes my being and desires for some of my hobbies, (tiny trucks) being one. I still check every day to see what most of you guys are doing!
I did after 50 years renew one of my old old old hobbies, Painting water colors. I have always been a want to be artist but I don't have a lot of natural talent!
Bad news is that the doc says I will need to be on treatment the rest of my life.
I will post up a few watercolor pics later. I know this isn't a tech post but my reason for putting all this out there is to encourage you young bucks to get your PSA numbers checked by your doc once in a while. I may be back with some of my tech goodies some day!!!
Your RC buddie,
Ernie
A few of my paintings.
First is a friends 47 Chevy

Kelly Lunsford's 64.

A old ford flatbed from a photo taken in Bodie California.

Same truck, different angle.

A oldie but goodie for my grandsons bedroom.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 12-13-2020 at 09:02 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What's up guys?!

And then there's the fact that I've been looking for a place to live in the craziest housing market ever. My landlord is selling the place I've been renting for nearly 13 years. My plan was to buy it when they were ready to sell, but their daughter decided she wants to downsize from her new, custom home and, well, she has more pull with her parents than I do. Everything happens for a reason though and my new, white trash with cash neighbors are a chore to live next to. Hopefully my future neighbors will be better. My girlfriend and I looked at 23 houses because we refuse to overpay and that's a tough stand in this insane and competitive market, especially when you're faced with being homeless. We believe we found one so keep all of your fingers crossed! Don't even uncross them to type. Use your face!

And so, because of all of this, I haven't touched RC since about February when I did a trail run with OSRC. I did buy the SCX24 that I may or may not have posted about, but after installing wheels and tires and driving it once or twice it was never touched again.
Housing market is nuts here too. Low inventory and lots of people moving here from CA so prices are high. I hate renting but probably going to do it for at least another year...Maybe we'll see a correction.

I've been messing with 1:1s far more than the RCs. Bought a new JLU Rubicon a couple months ago and went a little nuts on Black Friday/Cyber Monday so my RC budget is gone for a while. Metalcloak Game Changer, wheels, 37s, bumper, tire carrier, etc. Probably going to sell the new build comp rig and a few odds and ends to help restock the piggy bank.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Glad to see you chime in. Even tho i dont know you i do enjoy seeing what you have to say. Hope all goes well for upcoming plans.
mud bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #38
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post

Just wanted to chime in with a little update for Codyboy. I did give my 6x6 project to Justin, i know I would have never finished it.
I'm still working through my cancer meds treatments and how it changed my mind set. Basically testosterone is food for prostrate cancer and even though I had my prostrate removed in 2014 the cancer had made a small move outside the prostrate. We went through radiation and hormone therapy then, and thought we were done with it. And then comes 2020 and we founds signs that the cancer was pushing to come back. In a couple months my PSA count went from 3.4 to a 14.8 in 3 months.
So I had to start the therapy again, and here is where my major problems begin. #1 I need not elaborate on, after all I'm 71!! Next the absences of testosterone changes my being and desires for some of my hobbies, (tiny trucks) being one. I still check every day to see what most of you guys are doing!
I did after 50 years renew one of my old old old hobbies, Painting water colors. I have always been a want to be artist but I don't have a lot of natural talent!
Bad news is that the doc says I will need to be on treatment the rest of my life.
I will post up a few watercolor pics later. I know this isn't a tech post but my reason for putting all this out there is to encourage you young bucks to get your PSA numbers checked by your doc once in a while. I may be back with some of my tech goodies some day!!!
Your RC buddie,
Ernie
Hey Ernie! Super to hear from you. I think we are all missing your build threads, I certainly am. Want you to know I am pulling for you through what are obviously adverse and challenging days.

Have to laugh at the testosterone being the motivator behind your tiny truck builds You say you aren’t a natural artist, but you are engaged in watercolour painting. It is not easy to make watercolour painting looking more mature than a 3 years old’s effort, so good on you. Can’t imagine it takes a lot of testosterone, but I am certain a lot patience must be involved in your new pastime.

Anyway your tiny truck builds are certainly a work of art, so hard to imagine your paintings aren’t at the very least approaching that. You might have to start a ‘watercolour paintings’ thread on here.

I agree with Topher, nice to see some guys popping in to say hello. Let’s keep this neglected site alive...
Old 12-13-2020, 07:11 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Good to see people still hanging in. This year has kicked the life out of many.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bogger View Post
Glad to see you chime in. Even tho i dont know you i do enjoy seeing what you have to say. Hope all goes well for upcoming plans.
Thank you for the kind words and thoughts! Life is what we make of it, and even though, my wife and I feel blessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Hey Ernie! Super to hear from you. I think we are all missing your build threads, I certainly am. Want you to know I am pulling for you through what are obviously adverse and challenging days.

Have to laugh at the testosterone being the motivator behind your tiny truck builds You say you aren’t a natural artist, but you are engaged in watercolour painting. It is not easy to make watercolour painting looking more mature than a 3 years old’s effort, so good on you. Can’t imagine it takes a lot of testosterone, but I am certain a lot patience must be involved in your new pastime.

Anyway your tiny truck builds are certainly a work of art, so hard to imagine your paintings aren’t at the very least approaching that. You might have to start a ‘watercolour paintings’ thread on here.

I agree with Topher, nice to see some guys popping in to say hello. Let’s keep this neglected site alive...
Hey smog, nice to hear your kind words! It has been quite a trying 2020 for most all of us. I do miss sharing with you guys, and walk by trucks and work bench every day when I'm painting. I"m sure a thread on painting would be nixed on here, but I did add some paintings to my above thread. Here is a painting of Jordon, my buddy that we had to put down in February. I still miss him everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
Good to see people still hanging in. This year has kicked the life out of many.
Indeed it has!!!

Thanks again Guys!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 12-14-2020 at 07:45 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Jato The Ripper? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ripper camo Tamiya Clod Buster 13 01-08-2005 10:51 AM