Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sensored Outrunner motors- Revolver S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #321
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sensored Outrunner motors- Revolver S

Sweet! What controllers you liking for these? I'll go ahead and buy them(esc)before the rush starts. I'm liking the stubby version
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #322
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a TLT axle 1.9 crawler with a Pede tranny. What motor would be best for me? Not doing comps. Just having fun. Currently I have a 45T Lathe motor on 3s LiPo.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #323
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have tested them well with the MMP and tekin RS. Once the new boards arrive I will confirm the new sensors trigger properly for the same ESCs. Hell, we could probably use a NOvak too but I would recommend an ESC that has hybrid mode.

baja- probably the stubby. I will have recommendations on my site once we get more testing of the various sizes.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #324
Rock Stacker

John - why you don't think about an enclosed (like Align) outrunner for MOA crawlers?
Toy Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #325

Enclosed designs induce eddy currents into the stationary can, unless plastic or fiberglass is used. Then venting becomes a nightmare! If I am to have an enclosed can, I'm not going to have an outrunner inside. It is just bad engineering on a grand scale! I can fit just as large of a rotor inside a 36mm inrunner as I can inside an enclosed 36mm outrunner , the only benefit of the outrunner would be a higher commutation frequency for a given RPM.

Guess who will never have to take apart their wraith to service the motor? THIS GUY! After tweaking the sensor placement just so (thank you dual trace oscilloscope!) it runs like a dream! Vids after this weekend, the torque output is insane! Even with the stock gearing on 3s lipo the motor is running very cool. That means I need to run 6s and drop down to 15/87 gears...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #326
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sensored Outrunner motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I already have a design ready for scaling up too. Who needs a three pound sensored motor
You know I have need of this 3 pound monster you speak of. I've also got need of an 8-10 pound version (or a pair of them actually).

Very glad to see this project finally nearing completion my friend. I hope I'm still on the list
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #327

You bet you are! Now that I think about it, you could probably help me build the part I need to finish up your proto. You still have access to a cnc mill?

The bigger 3lb version is a HOSS. I'm putting one on the next Ebike I build. We are waiting to finalize the automated production on the Revolver S sensor board before getting started on the bigger one. Something about having too many projects in the fire...

8lb motor, you need inrunner or outrunner, or more specifically what voltage and motor speed you shooting for?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #328
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You bet you are! Now that I think about it, you could probably help me build the part I need to finish up your proto. You still have access to a cnc mill?

I suppose I could use the one in my shop sitting 10 feet from me currently

The bigger 3lb version is a HOSS. I'm putting one on the next Ebike I build. We are waiting to finalize the automated production on the Revolver S sensor board before getting started on the bigger one. Something about having too many projects in the fire...

Eh, too many projects is part of who we are I'd also need a pair of those 3 pounders

8lb motor, you need inrunner or outrunner, or more specifically what voltage and motor speed you shooting for?
As for the big boy, voltage and motor speed are in the air at this point...reliable power/torque/cool factor is key tho. Vehicle needing them is on hold due to my lack of satisfaction with motor options for the job currently
Old 03-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #329

I'll draw up the part I need then, it should be made from Delrin or other non conductive material.

As to the larger motors, give me a buzz when you get some time. I have some options in the 12lb range that are relatively inexpensive sensored solutions. I would recommend keeping it under 50v for safety and battery configuration reasons. I'm importing some 20ah 25c cells right now that could be great for that larger "project" you have.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #330
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'll draw up the part I need then, it should be made from Delrin or other non conductive material.

As to the larger motors, give me a buzz when you get some time. I have some options in the 12lb range that are relatively inexpensive sensored solutions. I would recommend keeping it under 50v for safety and battery configuration reasons. I'm importing some 20ah 25c cells right now that could be great for that larger "project" you have.
Perfect, I can have the parts cut in a matter of minutes and heading your way

You already know what I'm talking about...and a pair of 12 pound motors with batteries you'd trust for my application would be perfect. I need to chat with ya anyway so I'll try and give ya a buzz in a bit.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #331
Suck it up!

Just picked this up the other day. Its kick ass in my sc truck, and I noticed you can kick the drag brake up to 100%. I wonder how well it would work with the Rev S?

120a sensored esc
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #332

Should work just fine.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #333
Rock Crawler

John, could you help me out... I'm building a large scale crawler with a Summit 2 speed and 40 series tyres, I'm after big torque low end torque to embarrass people in tug of wars, and some decent top end for bashing. Might be a bit of a heavy truck.

I was looking at a big 2000kv motor on 4s (like a Tekin T8 ) would you recommend a Revolver S TorqueMaster over this?
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #334
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude
Just picked this up the other day. Its kick ass in my sc truck, and I noticed you can kick the drag brake up to 100%. I wonder how well it would work with the Rev S?

120a sensored esc
I've been looking at that esc, thanks for the confirmation to what else I've read.

Still looking forward to the sensored outrunners JRH, the only reason to sell a pro4 I can see.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #335

A T8 motor is going to be a hoss, and if you can get enough reduction on it and spin it fast it will produce gobs of torque at the wheel. The TorqueMonster revolver has a mechanical advantage though, so it should provide higher peak torques. Either way you will be dealing with more issues making traction and keeping the driveline together than making enough torque.

Ever heard an outrunner spin up to 42,000 rpm? The 2000kv 8 magnet version of the "540" size sure makes some wind on 6s lipo! I've been spending the evening tweaking my gearing and controller programming getting ready for tomorrow. While the 8 magnet version doesn't have the slow speed control of the 14 magnet version, so far it is doing extremely well for such a fast torque dense motor.

We are sending out the beta run of 8 magnet motors starting Monday. In the next few weeks I will receive the beta versions of the 14 magnet design, 1000kv through 3000kv, Stubby through TorqueMonster frames.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #336
I wanna be Dave

Very exciting news John! I'm looking forward to using them on my crawler rigs as well as my special projects from now on.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #337

Got most of that special plate drawn up today too, I just need to finish up the pockets and double check fitments. We gonna have a few super lightweight choices for those weight weenies out there, thanks to Don's patience and great input from my team. Who wouldn't want to trade a 5 or 6 ounce motor for a 3.5 ounce motor when the cost is less, efficiency is higher, and longevity of the motor is measured in bearing life instead of brush life?

Can't wait to get the Slimline version done for you now, Don. It should be the absolute smoothest of the bunch too. And if it ain't it will get some design changes until it is!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #338
I wanna be Dave

I'll get samples cut and heading your way to test as soon as you are ready. All very exciting stuff!

Holmes for life...for work and play.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #339
Rock Crawler

since i don't know a dam thing about brushless motors, i got a question. right now i have a losi comp crawler with a 18.5t ballistic brushless motor. i'm having heat issues after about 10 minutes of runtime. would these revolver motors be a good replacement? how is the heat dissapation?
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #340

The final design has an integrated fan to help shed heat. I'll be sending a unit out for testing in a losi to see how it handles the worm drive. I suspect most motors will run hot in the losi, but the higher commutation rate and leverage ratio should give the Revolver an edge under 10,000 rpm.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136315-sensored-outrunner-motors-revolver-s.html
Posted By For Type Date
Outrunner for rock crawler - Kv and low-speed smoothness, is my theory sound? - RC Groups This thread Refback 10-07-2011 12:03 AM

Sensored Outrunner motors- Revolver S - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
are all sensored brushless motors work with any sensored esc? jebster Electronics 8 01-02-2012 10:47 AM
outrunner motors toka100 Axial SCX-10 1 07-05-2011 10:37 PM
Sensored Motors cyberdog Electronics 1 01-08-2010 01:33 PM