Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sensored Outrunner motors- Revolver S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #1141

Default Re: Sensored Outrunner motors- Revolver S

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
I run the Stubby 3300 with BLE ESC on 3S in my SCX10 and one other rig, and it's a great setup. Enough to lift the front tires off the ground but very smooth on the low (esp with an exponential throttle curve). Much more than you'd ever need, stays cool all day long, and run times are very long due to the low strain on the motor. The 2200 and 2700 Stubbies on 3S are also excellent choices with just less top end. IMO, the full size Puller Pro is overkill and not worth the added weight on an SCX10 (different story on a Wraith or other 2.2 rig). The Revolvers are great in their own ways, but better suited for heavier rigs where you need lots of low end torque.
Thank you. Sounds like my future setup.

As for battery, what should I be looking for? I know race packs like 100C 5000mah shorty packs are probably overkill, but racing RC's is all really know about. Seems like I remember most guys running aviation type packs, which are lighter and cheaper.

So any 3S recommendations?

...and sorry if this got a bit off subject, but since it's still HH affiliated, hopefully we can let this one slip by just this once.

edited: Just placed my order! Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited by Sluggo; 05-23-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #1142
RCC Addict

Dead project? Looks like they were kind of removed from your site.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #1143
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Not dead, but removed for the time being so we don't constantly get questions about a product we don't have ready to sell.

Been really having trouble on the quality of sensor signal. Right now we have about 50% of the motors pass final quality check. As I have been saying, the ones that work well are fantastic motors. But we just can't afford 1000 motors in hopes of getting 500 for sale. One solution is an encoder that outputs 3 bit hall signal. Very expensive hardware. The only real solution I can see to keep an affordable price, is to re-engineer a motor with lower pole count. 14 pole has 7x the sensitivity to sensor misalignment. 10 pole is 5x the sensitivity, which is low enough to pass practically everything in quality control. But 10 pole motors typically have horrible startup because of the interaction between 12 slot stators. No factory has spent the time to engineer the magnet shape for smoother startup since they are normally installed into helicopters.

So that is where I'm at. Short term I am working to get the 14 pole motors passing QC. Maybe I will just sell all the "failed" motors as sensorless? You want sensorless, I have a big old stack!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #1144
RCC Addict

Awww man. I hope you are able to get this line back up and running. Glad I got a "good" revolver as it is an incredible motor, despite the noisy chatter that is norrmal for outrunners haha. It earned my Unimog the nickname "radio" as the drag brake engages it just makes that electronic/accordion like sound haha.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:28 AM   #1145
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
So that is where I'm at. Short term I am working to get the 14 pole motors passing QC. Maybe I will just sell all the "failed" motors as sensorless? You want sensorless, I have a big old stack!
Out of curiosity, what is their KV rating?
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #1146

1400 and 1800, same as most recent batch
Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #1147
Rock Crawler

I've read that sensorless outrunners work pretty well for bashers, like Traxxas eRevos, emaxx, etc. I have a plan to put a 1250KV Turnigy outrunner in a Slash, using an appropriately large pinion, just for fun. I'd imagine a 1400KV or 1800KV would be better. Or, I'm sure there'd be others, with little concern for sensor control, who wouldn't mind buying one for a trail truck, or light basher.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #1148
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Maybe I will just sell all the "failed" motors as sensorless? You want sensorless, I have a big old stack!
You may be able to look into RC boating for those since there's no need for sensors. A torquey 1800kv outrunner would be great if the boat is cell-limited. My friend's boat has an outrunner that's half the size of my inrunner and I just barely pull on his. It even runs cooler with just a watercooled mount vs my watercooled jacket.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #1149
Quarry Creeper

Hallo John

I have a revolver S 2000kv. Works great.

It is paired with BLE trail master PRO.

What esc setting do your recommend as "motor type"?

"Sensored only" or "smart sense brushless" ??

And why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #1150
Quarry Creeper

I'd looked on the website a few times and noticed the motor had been unavailible for a while but didn't know why until i seen this thread.
After reading about how many hours you put into this motor and i can only guess finances, it's sad it worked out the way it did.

I think if you have those "failed" ones sitting around, you should perhaps get them advertised and sold as you said, unsensored or similar.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #1151
Rock Crawler

Hopefully this Revolver empire has not come to an end. After reading, it seems John and his team need supply of more sensitive boards to make it 100%.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #1152

Use smart sense. A sensored only mode will have problems as rpms increase, it will also have lower efficiency than smart or hybrid sensor/sensorless. In a nutshell, any sensor position errors become larger problems as rpm goes up, so switching to sensorless after startup gives far better results.

It's not finances , but time that is holding these motors back. The biggest issue is sensor accuracy with 14 poles. If I redesign the motor to 10 poles it would help, but then we lose much of the torque and low speed resolution that makes the revolver so great. but there is no guarantee that 10 poles would even solve the problem, so I have been focusing on other projects until I can come to a conclusion about the next step.

Not a dead project, but a difficult one to continue with the quality and motor characteristics I desire.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:35 AM   #1153
Quarry Creeper

Thanks John!
I guessed so though wanted to be sure...

Old 03-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #1154
Quarry Creeper

if cost was not an issue could one buy one of these motors.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
THE ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #1155
Quarry Creeper

Anyone got the unsensord version? I would love to see a startup video of it. Might want to put this in my trail rig.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #1156

there are some videos on youtube of his un sensored outrunners , they work really well
JDIDING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #1157
I wanna be Dave

Hey John

Got a couple of questions for you about your Revolver Snubnose Sensored Brushless motor, I have one of your Snubnose Revolver motor I bought a few years ago and is Sensored, I looked on your site and seen they them come in 1400kv or 1800kv

How due I tell which version of motor due I have and can you recommend a esc for the Revolver motor, I have used a Mamba Max Pro with it and had no problems, I now need a new esc to use the Revolver motor again

Last edited by kgb424; 12-11-2018 at 12:53 AM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #1158

I can't guess at what KV it is, if I didn't mark the can. From a few years ago it might have been 2000kv. I would recommend the Mamba X line or TrailMaster BLE. The X sensorless startup is better. Sensored, both ESCs are on point.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:48 AM   #1159
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I can't guess at what KV it is, if I didn't mark the can. From a few years ago it might have been 2000kv. I would recommend the Mamba X line or TrailMaster BLE. The X sensorless startup is better. Sensored, both ESCs are on point.

If the motor was from a former sensored version, I guess it will still need to run sensored, right?

Only the new sensorless are supposed to properly work sensorless?

Can you confirm that?
Thanks

Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #1160

Any sensored motor can run sensorless too, the magnetics on your motor is already tuned for controllable start up either way.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136315-sensored-outrunner-motors-revolver-s.html
Posted By For Type Date
Outrunner for rock crawler - Kv and low-speed smoothness, is my theory sound? - RC Groups This thread Refback 10-07-2011 12:03 AM

Sensored Outrunner motors- Revolver S - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
are all sensored brushless motors work with any sensored esc? jebster Electronics 8 01-02-2012 10:47 AM
outrunner motors toka100 Axial SCX-10 1 07-05-2011 10:37 PM
Sensored Motors cyberdog Electronics 1 01-08-2010 01:33 PM