Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak M2 Dig ESC Combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #541

I have had my 1 now for a week and I have fitted the cc bec and now have the glitching

i think it's becoming a bit of a wast of time I think it will be goin on eBay very soon
It's been a wast of money !!!
a terrible man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #542
Pebble Pounder

Default novak dig on rs10

I have been running the novak dig on my rs10 and it works great! the dig with my dx3e radio is a great combo. I have no glitching and am staying close to my friends xr10. I have to say its a great product so far. I am also running 5000 7.2 sub c.
tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #543
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom80 View Post
I have been running the novak dig on my rs10 and it works great! the dig with my dx3e radio is a great combo. I have no glitching and am staying close to my friends xr10. I have to say its a great product so far. I am also running 5000 7.2 sub c.
What's your complete set up on how u have it wired up
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #544
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Truckling View Post
I had been trying to use button D as my linear and decided to try button A instead so I reset my profile completely on the radio, reprogrammed each button and went through the one step setup over and over until I was happy with the results. It took me about 10 attempts but now it works just fine.

Before when I was using D as my linear it seemed like my end points were outside full dig front or rear so when I would bump the switch past it, it would go back into 4x4 mode. One click back down and it would be back at dig where it was supposed to be then linear would work as expected back to zero (dig off-no lights). I hope that makes sense. Somehow I think maybe my D switch was causing the problems.

I'm now running C as throttle trim, B is steering trim, A is linear aux, D is off, E is 3 pos front/rear dig and F is instant off for the dig.
That works and so does my button D, however, it's hard to control because of its size. I may make my A the Linear use D for throttle trim which I hardly ever use. Thanks for pointing that out. Also what do you have your Trim Steps set at, mine is set for 1.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #545
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
No I'm saying that the load the ESC is pulling starves the BEC.

In the set up I described, the only connection between the BEC and the M2 was at the battery wires.
OK I finished testing the CC BEC. Here are my findings:

Test 1: The servo is powered by the BEC and the signal wire from the Rx. Runs good at speed, here's the problem the BEC falters on initial throttle input and the servo goes to center. Does this in reverse and in Dig. BEC LED blinks out at start then comes on.

Test 2: Conventional set up where the BEC feeds the Rx and both red wires from the ESC are out. Result, it doesn't move with any throttle input and then lurches forward or in reverse if you prg the trigger in reverse. The BEC Led is blinking.

Test 3: BEC is only wired to the ESC power board (wires). Result, a dead ESC nothing happened.

Test 4: No BEC. Result, full control of speed, good creeping at minimum throttle. No stall, and the servo works as if it had full 6V at all times.

All tests were done in my living room using a Bully, Tekin 55T motors, Hobbico CS-170 servo (same as a Hitec 5955 or 7955) and a 3S 850mah 25C battery fully charged.

The way it looks now is that I can save a little weight by not using a BEC with its wires. I never had this issue with it in my Losi using a Tekin RS and 17.5 BL Speed Passion motor.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #546
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Test 4: No BEC. Result, full control of speed, good creeping at minimum throttle. No stall, and the servo works as if it had full 6V at all times.
So, the best results were just hooking it up straight out of the box with no external BEC? Dig and motor proportioning were all good? With not steering issues when bound up?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #547
Pebble Pounder

Default complete setup

redcat rs10
8t pinion and steel gears
stock redcat motors e039r - e039t
rear steer lockout
zno narrow chassis kit
sno wing removal
hot bodie rover whites
tower power mg 995 servo
tenergy 5000 mah sub c bat 7.2
spectrum dx3e radio system

I had followed figure 2 in the directions. M1 is rear motor ( redcat rear motor is already setup for reverse direction and capacitors) m2 is front motor ( again redcat setup front motor) ch 2 throttle and Chanel 3 aux. stering servo runs of receiver. used 1 touch setup and then set drag to 10 and dig to 10 and set esc for nimh. dx3e remote set on 3 position aux and max levels. I am not running fan on esc because of 7.2v bat and temp is always blue. It was plug and play for me but my setup is pretty simple.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #548
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
So, the best results were just hooking it up straight out of the box with no external BEC? Dig and motor proportioning were all good? With not steering issues when bound up?
Can't really check bound up steering in my living room but wedging it in the furniture didn't seem to upset it.

There is something going on between the Castle BEC and the Novak M2 which is causing "glitching". Sort of like when the M2 starts up it pulls enough current to starve the BEC.

It seems to be fine without the external BEC and the propo works, it sucks that you lose the propo setting every time you dig and then have to reset it but I guess it is still usable to prevent Clod Stall.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #549
RCC Addict

Tom80

Nice set up.

My instructions recommend M1 for the front and M2 for the rear but if yours works that's all that matters (I guess you just reversed throttle on the radio).

Consider getting Lipo eventually, They are smaller and lighter.

Remember to keep the shiny side up.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #550
Pebble Pounder

I will have to switch m1 and m2 just because that's how it should be. but it works great and my throttle is set norm.

I have switched m1 and m2 and it drives the same. your forward and reverse is controled by the 1 touch setup.

Last edited by tom80; 11-18-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #551
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It should work well on 7.2 volt pack like a 2cell but when you bump up to a 3cell 12 volt with a BEC is when you get problems. Im considering swaping out my high volt 7950tg servo for a less powerfull servo and see what that does.

Last edited by tuner; 11-17-2010 at 07:22 PM.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #552
RCC Addict

Quote:
I will have to switch m1 and m2 just because that's how it should be. but it works great and my throttle is set norm.
Then leave it be.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #553

Sell it!!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 AM   #554
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by a terrible man View Post
Sell it!!!!
We get it. You don't like it. So what
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #555

It's joke cam down there lol
Old 11-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #556

hy. I have xr10, runing on 2s lipo, and futaba t3pk transmitter. I would only like to have lock on rear axle (dig), and my servo conected directly into reciver ( without bec). So I am asking you is novak m2 dig esc good for what I want to drive? Must apolagize, but I am from europa, and have problem with writing in english Hope you understand. Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!
offroader81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #557
RCC Addict

I will try to hook up a Common Sense BEC/regulator tonight to see if it behaves better than the CC.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #558
RCC Addict

Good news all.

The Common Sense RC BEC works perfectly. No steering loss, glitching or any problem. Well it is bigger than the CC BEC and has a ferrite ring on the servo lead plus it is only 5 or 6V and 4 amp (5 amp max) but it works fine and if you're using a 3S or 4S pack it has you covered. Best of all A-Main has them for $18.00.

Sorry it isn't an answer to those of you who have a HV servo but it's good for those of us who don't.

BTW the propo works too, it's just that with the DX3R when you flip to full dig you lose the porpo until you set it again. Not a real problem but if you wanted to use the speedo to overdrive the front think again with this radio.

Last edited by AreCee; 11-18-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #559
RCC Addict

Quote:
Good news all.

BTW the propo works too, it's just that with the DX3R when you flip to full dig you lose the porpo until you set it again. Not a real problem but if you wanted to use the speedo to overdrive the front think again with this radio.
maybe they'll change it?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #560
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
maybe they'll change it?
Change what? The radio? Because it's not the M2, that works just as Novak said it would.

I suppose that if you really want to use propo all the time then you would just use the 3rd channel trim to go into dig and then back to propo.

Last edited by AreCee; 11-18-2010 at 09:18 PM.