Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have a servo question or want to know which one to buy? Post here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #61
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Have a servo question or want to know which one to buy? Post here..

I keep hearing people talking about the hitec 7950.

Is this the 7950SH or the 7950TH? There's quite a price difference between the two!

Also, is anyone running them straight off of their battery (2S LiPo I mean really) without a BEC? Spec says you can, wondered how well it worked.
newth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #62
RCC Addict

One is steel gear and the other is titanium. I wouldnt run it straight off the battery. To many variables of change. The CC BEC offers a constant supply of the same voltage and amperage, never going up or down. Running it off of the battery, at full charge the servo will see 8.4v. That will shorten the life of the servo. It's only $20 plus shipping for a CC BEC and well worth it.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply. Thats great. Is the cheaper 7950SH up to the job? (Clod axles with big wheels)

I'm wanting to reduce 'crap' on my truck & simplify it somewhat, hence wanting to ditch the voltage reg that feeds the servos. The CC BEC doesn't ramp up, so if I set the level to 7.4 volts to get the most out of the servos, when the battery voltage drops below 7.4 volts I'll still be messing with varying voltage levels. Is it really that much of a gain to use the BEC?

Also, Hitec have emailed back to me confirming that both the 7950SH & 7950TH will run off of a fully charged LiPo fine.

Thanks for the advice on this. It's a lot of money to make the wrong decision.
newth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #64
DRN
Pebble Pounder

Looking for advice on a servo.

Wraith with rear steer to come really soon.

I had stupidly bought a 5645MG when i bought the kit. My plans are mostly bashing and hopefully doing some G6 type competitions soon. Would two Hitec 7954SH work for me? Im running a BRXL on 3s and also have a CC BEC. Thanks for the help
DRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

I believe 2 7954s will do well on a wraith and the ccbec should be able to handle them and set it to 7.4v or you could use the brxl's internal bec for the rear servo and rx and set the ccbec up for 7.4v to get the most out the front if the ccbec gets to warm running them both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

I have the hitec HS-5646WP waterproof servo to steer my Ax10 Ridgecrest and I am very pleased. My front wheels are 0.75 lbs each (heavy!) and the servo still has no issue steering the truck around rocks -/+ whatever water gets thrown at it. the torque rating isn't the highest but i dig the WP feature.
RC_Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #67
RCC Addict

i alsouse a hi-tech hs-5646wp servo thats waterproof, has metal gears, and it has 140oz of torque at 6v, and 180oz of torque at 7.4v. it works great for the scx10, but be sure to have a metal steering arm.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

I run a couple high voltage rated servos directly off of a 2s packs without issue. One is a Hitec 7954SH in my AX-10, and the other is a Savox 1268SG in my SCX.

The only real disadvantage to powering the servo straight from the battery is that you are limited to 2s packs. The advantage is reduced weight and complexity by not having an external BEC, and also knowing that your servos are going to have the maximum potential power.

Many people are happy with the 7954SH in a Wraith, but not me. I stripped out three of them in four packs of light snow bashing. Turns out all the 79** series use a "MK" (Hitec calls it a "metal karbonite") gear right off the motor. Doesn't matter if the servo is labeled as steel or titanium geared, they both have this fuse of a gear in them. This gear is what strips out for me. The 7954 in my slow moving AX10 is holding up quite well however.

I upgraded the Wraith to a Savox 2270 because I found it on sale for $85 and haven't had any issues with it. It does have slightly less holding power than the Hitec it replaced, but at least it's holding up to my abuse.

The difference in control between a cheap servo and a good one is like going from old school manual steering in a 1:1 to fully hydralic, where your pushing large rocks around with the steering.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

delete double post

Last edited by meatmonkey; 06-25-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: my internet connection sucks
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I run a couple high voltage rated servos directly off of a 2s packs without issue. One is a Hitec 7954SH in my AX-10, and the other is a Savox 1268SG in my SCX.

The only real disadvantage to powering the servo straight from the battery is that you are limited to 2s packs. The advantage is reduced weight and complexity by not having an external BEC, and also knowing that your servos are going to have the maximum potential power.

Many people are happy with the 7954SH in a Wraith, but not me. I stripped out three of them in four packs of light snow bashing. Turns out all the 79** series use a "MK" (Hitec calls it a "metal karbonite") gear right off the motor. Doesn't matter if the servo is labeled as steel or titanium geared, they both have this fuse of a gear in them. This gear is what strips out for me. The 7954 in my slow moving AX10 is holding up quite well however.

I upgraded the Wraith to a Savox 2270 because I found it on sale for $85 and haven't had any issues with it. It does have slightly less holding power than the Hitec it replaced, but at least it's holding up to my abuse.

The difference in control between a cheap servo and a good one is like going from old school manual steering in a 1:1 to fully hydralic, where your pushing large rocks around with the steering.
Refresh....it helps keeping you from double posting.......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Hi All, GREAT info on this post about servos. So I have seen many live and die by Hitec and others by Savox some highly recommend the 7955 and others the 1268SG. I understand that a large part of the decision has to do with the use you will be putting your rig through.

So wanted to get some thoughts on what to use on mine.

Wraith Kit, with titanium steering links, running r35 ripsaws with 3oz of weight in each front tire. Castle SCT edition ESC, swapping between 27T brushed and geared at 14/87 and the Castle 1410 - 3800kv brushless with undecided gearing yet. I currently have the Traxxas 2075 servo as I pulled it off my shelved Slaxh 4x4, but just out of the first few runs with a 2S Lipo I can tell that servo will not last long for crawling. I know.. a bit too much info, but wanted to give the full picture to get the best recommendation out there.

I will be using my wraith for off road bashing, trailing and some light crawling.. with this said what is my best option for a servo... I would like to spend the least possible, yet get a good servo that is not overkill for what my rig is intended for.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... oh and I do have a ccBEC.

Last edited by shcuck; 07-05-2012 at 10:48 AM.
shcuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

shcuck, since I'm a HiTec fan, low end would be the 7955, better would be a 7950 (partly since you do have a CC BEC). The 7955 won't mind the BEC, the 7950 will NEED the BEC.

I know ServoCity has decent prices, occasionally they have decent sales as well. I believe some of the forum vendors carry HiTec as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Hi, Im running a wraith at 7.4v Im looking at another servo for a spare. I oredered my wraith as a kit. (Kit C) From ckrccrawlers.com
it comes with a mg946r, Ive used it in My 8th scale crawler on a 7.2v and theservo specs say it can only handle a 7.2.
So is it safe to run with 7.4v? If not why would they put it in my kit?
Trentenowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentenowns View Post
Hi, I'm running a Wraith at 7.4v I'm looking at another servo for a spare. I ordered my Wraith as a kit (Kit C) From ckrccrawlers.com
It comes with a mg946r, I've used it in My 8th scale crawler on a 7.2v and the servo specs say it can only handle a 7.2.
So, is it safe to run with 7.4v? If not why would they put it in my kit?
A couple of 10th's in volts should not make a difference. I don't know the servo, so I can't say for sure.

If it was me, I'd use it (if I didn't already have a better servo).
Old 07-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #75
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
A couple of 10th's in volts should not make a difference. I don't know the servo, so I can't say for sure.

If it was me, I'd use it (if I didn't already have a better servo).
Thats what i though too. But i just got my first wraith. And maybe once i get more into Rc. Ill make this thing a money pit x)
Haha thanks man!
Trentenowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
shcuck, since I'm a HiTec fan, low end would be the 7955, better would be a 7950 (partly since you do have a CC BEC). The 7955 won't mind the BEC, the 7950 will NEED the BEC.

I know ServoCity has decent prices, occasionally they have decent sales as well. I believe some of the forum vendors carry HiTec as well.
Thanks Charlie, When my servo gives in, I will def consider the 7955.. Everyone (well most :-) ) seem to like them.
shcuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #77
Rock Stacker

so seems the screw that holds the arm is prety striped and it got lock tightedany ideas on best way of removeing it?
hardknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardknox View Post
So it seems the screw that holds the arm is pretty stripped and it got locked tight. Any ideas on best way of removing it?
I assume you mean the Phillips head is stripped out?
Using a Dremal with a cutoff wheel or a hacksaw to put a straight slot in the head may allow you to use a flat blade screwdriver to remove it.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Ok, trying to bring this thread back to life. I've been gone for a while working on my 1:1 crawler.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Yes I agree this is a very useful thread. Here's a simple little list and discription of my experience with Hitec servos I have owned:

5995 even thou the specs are quite good and some have had good luck with this servo, I have not. I had 2 of these that died in 2 packs on my wraith and xr. They are also discontinued and the boards are not available anymore for warranty.
7955 is best suited to a trail truck or 1.9 crawler rig. Yes its titanium but the torque could be better and it dosn't like really heavy rigs (8lbs and over)
7954 is for Crawling only!!! Metal gears. This servo will not stand up to constant abuse of lauching your wraith in the air!!! Will work well for rear steer and lighter rigs.
7950 should be in everyones truck for bashing and crawling. Will take an absolute punishment and come back for more!!!
7980 the biggest baddest servo out there!!! This thing will move boulders no problem!!! Downside it's big. Won't fit every application but if you need torque this thing has more then enough and then some!!!

Now what I am running and what rig there in:
2.2 scx10 pitbulls with 35t/brxl heyok no brainer bec using a 7955. My kids truck so does see some abuse but is holding up well to a little crawling and some bashing and running into things ( he's 4)
2.2 Fastback Boss Claws 13.5 tekin/rspro ccbec using a 7954. This thing has some zip but used 99% of the time for crawling and holds up to my abuse. Will probaly change it out for 7950 if it fails. Its what I had on the shelf when I built it.
Wraith on 2.2 Iroks pro4/mmp ccbec using a 7950. This thing takes more abuse then I can discribe. Lauch into a rock wall no problem, get the front tires into a major bind steer's right out. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!!! I even have 1 in my tool box for a spare for any rig that falis!!!
xr10 on khaos dual fxr's ccbec and the monster 7980. Can't seem to hurt this thing no matter what!! 5lb boulder in your way, turn your wheel its moved. Where other servo's get hot and burn up on rock piles this thing just keeps on going. Down side pricey but when you don't want a failure on the course this thing will not let ya down!!!

Well hope that helps peps a bit and remeber this is what I have found through trial and error and several $$$ to find the right servo for the right job. Bottom line is if you want something to do the job and not worry about it then spending $$$ once on the right servo for the job is a must!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Have a servo question or want to know which one to buy? Post here.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what servo should i buy? rcdude Electronics 20 08-14-2011 11:44 AM
What servo to buy ben'smicrocrawler Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 18 01-19-2011 12:55 PM
I will never buy another JR servo. kmnss Electronics 16 09-19-2009 08:05 PM
to post pics do I need to buy a star ? slashbasher Newbie General 1 09-10-2009 07:13 PM