Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have a servo question or want to know which one to buy? Post here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Have a servo question or want to know which one to buy? Post here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Yes I agree this is a very useful thread. Here's a simple little list and description of my experience with HiTec servos I have owned:

5995 even though the specs are quite good and some have had good luck with this servo, I have not. I had 2 of these that died in 2 packs on my wraith and XR. They are also discontinued and the boards are not available anymore for warranty.
7955 is best suited to a trail truck or 1.9 crawler rig. Yes its titanium but the torque could be better and it doesn't like really heavy rigs (8lbs and over)
7954 is for Crawling only!!! Metal gears. This servo will not stand up to constant abuse of launching your wraith in the air!!! Will work well for rear steer and lighter rigs.
7950 should be in everyones truck for bashing and crawling. Will take an absolute punishment and come back for more!!!
7980 the biggest baddest servo out there!!! This thing will move boulders no problem!!! Downside, it's big. Won't fit every application but if you need torque this thing has more then enough and then some!!!

Now what I am running and what rig there in:
2.2 SCX-10, PitBulls with 35T/BRXL, HeyOK, no brainer BEC using a 7955. My kids truck so it does see some abuse but is holding up well to a little crawling and some bashing and running into things (he's 4)
2.2 Fastback, Boss Claws, 13.5 Tekin/rspro, ccbec using a 7954. This thing has some zip but used 99% of the time for crawling and holds up to my abuse. Will probably change it out for 7950 if it fails. It's what I had on the shelf when I built it.
Wraith on 2.2 Iroks, pro4/mmp, ccbec using a 7950. This thing takes more abuse then I can describe. launch into a rock wall, no problem, get the front tires into a major bind, steers right out. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!!! I even have 1 in my tool box for a spare for any rig that fails!!!
XR-10 on khaos dual FXR's, ccbec and the monster 7980. Can't seem to hurt this thing no matter what!! 5lb boulder in your way, turn your wheel & its moved. Where other servos get hot and burn up on rock piles this thing just keeps on going. Down side, pricey but when you don't want a failure on the course this thing will not let ya down!!!

Well hope that helps peeps a bit and remember this is what I have found through trial and error and several $$$ to find the right servo for the right job. Bottom line is if you want something to do the job and not worry about it then spending $$$ once on the right servo for the job is a must!!!
Great post!

I will "fine tune".

7955, great for a MRC 1.9 comp rig. External BEC is nice, but NOT absolute.
7950, great for almost any rig.....USE AN EXTERNAL BEC!!!!
7980, if you can fit it AND have an external BEC, go for it. You WILL find the weak links in the steering!

I've run a couple 7954's.....nice servo....but....see my notes above.

I have one non-HiTec servo in my XR-10....it's a Futaba BLS175 (?)......gobs of power, so far so good.
My only issue thus far......the servo arm will NOT swap to my HiTec servos.......sigh.....

Last edited by Charlie-III; 08-30-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #82
Rock Stacker

Hey all, Im upgrading the servo on my LNC because i just blew the factory one apart. I see most people prefer HiTecs but is there anything wrong with this servo?
Savox SA1231SG Digital Servo

Price seems right, and torque numbers are good. I was thinking about giving it a whirl.

Ive seen the question asked before but Im going to ask again as the answer doesnt seem entirely clean cut. Can i temporarily run this direct wired to my 7.4v 2s Lipo battery? From what i can tell it can be done however I dont want to put a lot of extra strain on the servo if the fully charged battery will push higher than 7.4 volts. I know the right way is to run a CC Bec, which I will do eventually however I just dont want to grab one AND have to buy the castle link right now. $40 to run a servo while using otherwise factory electronics seems like somewhat of a waste but I dont want to end up screwing up a moderately expensive servo. Thanks!
SHOtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Some have very good luck with savox and others not so much!!! Seems like a reasonable price for the specs. You should be able to direct wire it but I would strongly suggest getting the bec. It will handle al the extra draw from crawling with out any issues. Even thou the manufacturer says 7.4 or 2s capable that usally means a fully charged 2cell lipo. I know Hitec's are good for that so I would ASSUME that savox would be the same way.

If you buy your bec from your lhs ask them if they have a castle link (most should) and they may set it for you with no charge.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOtime View Post
Hey all, Im upgrading the servo on my LNC because i just blew the factory one apart. I see most people prefer HiTecs but is there anything wrong with this servo?
Savox SA1231SG Digital Servo

Price seems right, and torque numbers are good. I was thinking about giving it a whirl.

Ive seen the question asked before but Im going to ask again as the answer doesnt seem entirely clean cut. Can i temporarily run this direct wired to my 7.4v 2s Lipo battery? From what i can tell it can be done however I dont want to put a lot of extra strain on the servo if the fully charged battery will push higher than 7.4 volts. I know the right way is to run a CC Bec, which I will do eventually however I just dont want to grab one AND have to buy the castle link right now. $40 to run a servo while using otherwise factory electronics seems like somewhat of a waste but I dont want to end up screwing up a moderately expensive servo. Thanks!
I'm in the same boat. I have the 1232SG from Savox but no BEC. It's a bit weak running off the ESC (Novak Goat 3s), and I honestly don't have the $20 right now for a CC BEC. Debating on hard wiring it for a short time until I can get a CC BEC....but I don't wanna burn it up. Hmm....
FattyMcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #85
RCC Addict

You'll burn it up in a heart beat if you hard wire it to a 3s. Just save up the $20 and buy a BEC. Until then just use it as is. In my opinion the Savox servos are pieces of crap. My 1268 says it has like 368oz at 7.4, but feels and drives more like a 130oz High Tec 645mg.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #86
Rock Stacker

I dont mind buying the BEC I just dont feel right paying $20 more bucks for the castle link which i will use once and thats it. I'll check with my LHS but they are usually anything but helpful. Everyone has their opinion on everything here and sticks to their guns on it but ill give the Savox servo a chance at 75 bucks versus 120 plus for a hitec.

On another topic regarding servos, what do you all do to make sure you dont snap the mounting tabs off the case. Thats what i just did to my factory one and since most servos seem to have plastic mounting tabs what is everyone doing to make sure they dont break? I was thinking just a zip tie around the mounting tray to make sure the servo cant be pushed back thus breaking the tabs, but is there a more sophisticated way?
SHOtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #87
RCC Addict

You can get a High Tec for less than $120. Take a look at Servo City. Here are a couple choices. I have had Savox servos and they perform very poorly.

HS-7955TG Servo
HS-7954SH Servo
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #88

Quote:
I dont mind buying the BEC I just dont feel right paying $20 more bucks for the castle link which i will use once and thats it. I'll check with my LHS but they are usually anything but helpful. Everyone has their opinion on everything here and sticks to their guns on it but ill give the Savox servo a chance at 75 bucks versus 120 plus for a hitec.

On another topic regarding servos, what do you all do to make sure you dont snap the mounting tabs off the case. Thats what i just did to my factory one and since most servos seem to have plastic mounting tabs what is everyone doing to make sure they dont break? I was thinking just a zip tie around the mounting tray to make sure the servo cant be pushed back thus breaking the tabs, but is there a more sophisticated way?
I use 3m double side tape, as well as the servo mounts for my servos. Get the thin tape and you won't have to shim the mounts.
RBD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Look in your regional forum, there may be someone from here close to you with a CClink, or go to a comp/GTG and let them know you need a BEC setting changed. We do that all the time in our group.

As to making servo ears last, at a minimum use small flat washers under the screw/bolt head that holds the servo to the mounts. A screw/bolt head on it's own won't last. I think I use #10 flatwashers (Home Depot/Lowes/LHS). Sometimes I need to trim a flat on it to get it to sit flat.
Best is a servo clamp instead of flat washers.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Anyone in the market for a HS7954SH? Ebay has them for $77 and change right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-HS-795...-/380316671471

Last edited by crawler nut; 09-19-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #91
Rock Stacker

im lookin for an affordable and strong( but not overkill) servo for my scx10 hilux with 1.9 pitbulls and about 3 oz of wieght in the front and about an ounce in the rear. this rig is more for rocks, but it sees all terrain, i currently have a traxxas 2075, but this rig has gained a lot of wieght (around the 8 pound range give or take)and the servo just doesnt have the power to handle it, also i run NiMH packs.so any suggestions are greatly appreciated
StEv0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #92

i just brought a Wraith Kit, and was 'advised' to buy savox sc-0252mg , now i have found this site and i have not found anyone using this!! is there something i should know?
And i am also installing a Tinbuk2 Wraith Kit.
any advice would be great.
bignose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEv0 View Post
I'm looking for an affordable and strong (but not overkill) servo for my scx10 hilux with 1.9 pitbulls and about 3 oz of weight in the front and about an ounce in the rear. This rig is more for rocks, but it sees all terrain. I currently have a Traxxas 2075, but this rig has gained a lot of weight (around the 8 pound range give or take) and the servo just doesn't have the power to handle it, also I run NiMH packs. So any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Your current servo... Traxxas - 2075 High-Torque/Speed Waterproof Digital - Overview | traxxas.com is only ~125inoz. Going to about 200inoz would be better and may get away without an external BEC.
A HiTec 7955 is a bit bigger and could use an external BEC.
You can also look at TowerPro servos. This... TowerHobbies.com | Tower Hobbies TS-170 Standard Digital UT 2BB TG Servo U is a little less money and slightly lower torque specs.
Some other choices... TowerHobbies.com | Search Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose13 View Post
I just brought a Wraith Kit, and was 'advised' to buy Savox sc-0252mg , now I have found this site and I have not found anyone using this!! Is there something I should know?
And I am also installing a Timbuk2 Wraith Kit.
any advice would be great.
Some love Savox, some hate. I usually use HiTec and have been happy. Yes, I've had some issues, but also had great customer service from HiTec.
Your "suggested" servo... Servo Savox SC-0252MG Standard Digital Metal Gear Servo, RC Radios and Accessories - A Main Hobbies
is a little light on torque.
I would suggest the same reading as the other question in this post.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #94
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Your current servo... Traxxas - 2075 High-Torque/Speed Waterproof Digital - Overview | traxxas.com is only ~125inoz. Going to about 200inoz would be better and may get away without an external BEC.
You can also look at TowerPro servos. This... TowerHobbies.com | Tower Hobbies TS-170 Standard Digital UT 2BB TG Servo U is a little less money and slightly lower torque specs.

Some love Savox, some hate. I usually use HiTec and have been happy. Yes, I've had some issues, but also had great customer service from HiTec.
Your "suggested" servo... Servo Savox SC-0252MG Standard Digital Metal Gear Servo, RC Radios and Accessories - A Main Hobbies
thanks for the reply,
StEv0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #95

thanks for the info
so i will use what i have till it dies, what hi tech do you recommend?

Quote:

Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose13 View Post
thanks for the info
so I will use what I have till it dies, what HiTec do you recommend?
I would do a 7955..... likely more than you want to spend, but will work fine for your use. You may also want a Castle 10A external BEC.

TowerHobbies.com | Hitec HS-7955TG Digital HT Titanium Gear Coreless Servo
TowerHobbies.com | Castle Creations CC BEC 10A 6S Switching Regulator
Clamping servo arm... TowerHobbies.com | Golden Horizons Aluminum Servo Horn II Red HRC
Servo spline count.....what to use where...

PS, shopping other places may get lower prices. One source is www.ServoCity.com
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #97

Quote:
I would do a 7955..... likely more than you want to spend, but will work fine for your use. You may also want a Castle 10A external BEC.

TowerHobbies.com | Hitec HS-7955TG Digital HT Titanium Gear Coreless Servo
TowerHobbies.com | Castle Creations CC BEC 10A 6S Switching Regulator
Clamping servo arm... TowerHobbies.com | Golden Horizons Aluminum Servo Horn II Red HRC
Servo spline count.....what to use where...

PS, shopping other places may get lower prices. One source is www.ServoCity.com
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #98
Rock Stacker

Hi people, need some suggestions, I am gathering parts and pieces for a project I've been pondering the last 6 months.

I am going to need some quick reacting/speedy servos, I'd like to stay with a somewhat high torque metal geared type

Thanks
nvradtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Anyone of these should do the job. Need more info on what your rig is how heavy and how you use it.
HS-7940TH Servo
HS-7945TH Servo
HS-7950TH Servo
Give them a look first one is the fastest but also the weakest.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #100
RCC Addict

Anymore I just say spend a bit more money and get the 7950 the first time and bot have to worry about your servo for a good while.

Have a servo question or want to know which one to buy? Post here.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what servo should i buy? rcdude Electronics 20 08-14-2011 11:44 AM
What servo to buy ben'smicrocrawler Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 18 01-19-2011 12:55 PM
I will never buy another JR servo. kmnss Electronics 16 09-19-2009 08:05 PM
to post pics do I need to buy a star ? slashbasher Newbie General 1 09-10-2009 07:13 PM