Notices

Thread: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #561
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
Bottom line? When you measure 8.4V with a DVM (digital volt meter) and with an oscilloscope, you learn there's voltage vs. clean voltage
Not sure I agree with "bottom line" here. A UBEC putting out 8.4v may be messy, but still averages 8.4v start to end if it's powerful enough. Meanwhile a lipo used to power a servo will be 8.4v resting and 8.2v or less when there's any current demand.

Also any case stating a ubec doesn't provide enouge amps is forgetting the fact the dupont-style connectors are barely sufficient for 5A.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #562
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post
I'm eyeing this one, maybe run it at 7.4v on a Castle BEC:

360oz-in ProModeler HV digital servo is waterproof, has metal gears, and 2BB
Bargain @ $50. For a lighter rig running 1.9's I'll bet it's absolutely fine

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #563
Quarry Creeper

I ended up pulling the trigger on the brushless servo. I have the older 420oz in my son's Wraith and it's held up so well that I had to buy another one.
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post
I'm eyeing this one, maybe run it at 7.4v on a Castle BEC:

That's too slow for my taste.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #565
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's too slow for my taste.
I went with the brushless for my TF2 http://www.promodeler.com/DS345BLHV

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #566
RCC Addict

That's just stupid fast and decent torque for the price. I wonder how it compares to something like the ProTek 170SBL in a class 2 comp rig being almost half the price.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #567
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the cozy John! Nice freebie with the new servo.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #568
RCC Addict

What about adding capacitors on the output circuit of a BEC to smooth out and cleanup the regulated voltage? Should help with high load demand scenarios as well right?

Quote:
John's harping, yes, but not because it'll get hot. It's entirely to do with cheap ass BEC circuitry being unable to keep up with the demand whilst at the same time delivering 'clean' voltage. Here's the story in <2 minutes;

https://www.promodeler.com/blog/The-...thetic-voltage

Bottom line? When you measure 8.4V with a DVM (digital volt meter) and with an oscilloscope, you learn there's voltage vs. clean voltage. BEC circuits, the whole thing, costs less than $1. They were created for the purpose of synthesizing voltage expressly to save on the price of a battery (and this fact alone should tell you everything you need to know). Basically, if you want the servo performance you paid for, ditch the BEC and use a 2S LiPo instead.

LiPos deliver the required current without depressed voltage, voltage spikes, noise, or otherwise adversely affecting the servo and receiver (a LiPo of 25C, or better, is recommended). After all, synthetic orange colored Tang may have gone to the moon, but it doesn't compare to freshly squeezed orange juice, right? Same thing when it comes to feeding your avionics!

Look folks, I offer ESC units equipped with a BEC so I know exactly how much the BEC adds to the price of the product. I tell my customers it's NOT there for the servo and receiver, it's merely there for loads like lights or a winch motor.

Seriously you already have everything needed to charge batteries, a 350m-550AH pack will run a receiver and a servo all day long (and then some) so what's the big deal about using a battery instead of a BEC? And it's not like I've got a dog in the hunt because I'm not saying buy 'my' battery, but instead I'm saying use a battery . . . and I don't care, buy it from anybody!

Moreover, if it need to be recharged during the day (unlikely) you already have on hand everything required to hit it with a quick charge if needs be, right? Frankly, I don't get the attraction of risking inferior servo performance (because servo voltage from a BEC goes down momentarily when the motor load is highest so the servo actually performs worse during that instant in time - perhaps when you need it most, too). This, just for a little convenience of not charging two batteries? I don't grok this - not when you guys are running rigs costing well into the high hundreds if not into the thousands of dollars! Just saying.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:35 AM   #569
Rock Crawler

So the DS360 is a waterproof, 360oz servo for $50?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:50 AM   #570
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
So the DS360 is a waterproof, 360oz servo for $50?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's a very good deal. Quite good for general crawlers - it's just a tad slow compared to some more expensive servos, but still as fast or faster than RTR servos with a fraction of the torque... but engineered & built way better and it's rebuildable, they sell the parts.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #571
Quarry Creeper

Running the DS470BLHV servo with the HW 1080WP ESC, (internal BEC @6v, turned down for my TF2), runs absolutely perfect.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #572
Rock Crawler

I had a weird issue that when my rig was turned off I couldn't turn the servo manually. Then it had trouble centering, so I fiddled with it, and noticed that I could get it to center by doing a certain thing with the steering wheel. So then I turned rapidly from left to right, over and over for about 2 minutes, and now both problems are fixed. Any idea why that solved it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #573
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
What about adding capacitors on the output circuit of a BEC to smooth out and cleanup the regulated voltage? Should help with high load demand scenarios as well right?
Let me ask you are you actually experiencing some sort of issue with your servo, or is this a solution looking for a problem?

I run these servos, straight off a HW 1080, CC 10A bec amd heyok bec's and habe zero issues that require any type of change. I have also run these at 5.5v and still have not seen an issue?

Certainly if something needs a fix, lets discuss it(that is the point of a forum).

I kind of feel like this is a good solid servo that doesnt have 20 years of gushing reviews so people are doubtful that it works well.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #574
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
I had a weird issue that when my rig was turned off I couldn't turn the servo manually. Then it had trouble centering, so I fiddled with it, and noticed that I could get it to center by doing a certain thing with the steering wheel. So then I turned rapidly from left to right, over and over for about 2 minutes, and now both problems are fixed. Any idea why that solved it?

There is a reason for the phrase break in, is this new? I suppose its possible the gears just needed a little use to seat properly, maybe a piece of crude that needed to work out?

Wouldn't worry about it to much, im sure they would make it right if its a defect.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #575
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
There is a reason for the phrase break in, is this new? I suppose its possible the gears just needed a little use to seat properly, maybe a piece of crude that needed to work out?

Wouldn't worry about it to much, im sure they would make it right if its a defect.
The 'stuck in one position' has happened before, but was previously resolved by plugging in the battery and turning it on

Edit: misread ditchrat's post

Old 01-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #576
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Running an external bec? When you turn it off, switch or unplug batt?
I had a strange issue that Holmes and Castle fixed

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #577
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Running an external bec? When you turn it off, switch or unplug batt?
I had a strange issue that Holmes and Castle fixed

Hang up and Drive
Internal BEC on my Mamba X, unplug battery. I know that the issue is resolved but I'd like to know what was happening.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #578
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post

Just a thought.

I have never had a problem powering any servo with a 10A CC BEC.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #579
RCC Addict

Quote:
Internal BEC on my Mamba X, unplug battery. I know that the issue is resolved but I'd like to know what was happening.

So I was working on my rig with the Mamba X last night and had the receiver box open messing with some lighting controls and winch controls.

At one point I unplug the battery, then proceeded to start unplugging things.

Just so you can visualize. My pos/neg from my servo go directly to my CC BEC, my signal to the receiver.

I disconnected my servo from the BEC circuit and plugged it into the receiver circuit, and mind you the battery is unplugged.

Wouldn't you know it the dam servo jumped and turned the wheels.

I am wondering if the Mamba X has some caps in it that discharged. I just got the esc last week so I know nothing about it past liking it. I don't think I would have even noticed it, if it hadn't been for your post.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #580
RCC Addict

Quote:

On another subject, how are you liking the servo?
Very disappointed in my V2 and V3. There is simply nothing wrong with them that would let me justify replacing them with the V4, nor have they even hiccuped.

Mostly because I need me some stickers

Last edited by Ditchrat; 02-24-2018 at 10:37 AM.

ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Billet Motorola Droid Razr Case JFAB Vendors Miscellaneous 2 01-14-2013 08:24 PM
Angry Apple Ipod billet case motoworx Vendors Miscellaneous 31 08-15-2012 06:12 PM
metal gears , billet case , coreless motor servo CHEAP BL-4x4 Electronics 2 01-04-2012 09:21 PM