Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #761
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Yes it does.

The only difference is that brushless doesn't deal with brush losses, so the motor speeds can move higher before conduction losses become noticeable. Whereas the "ideal" 1/10th scale brushed motor setup rides around 2100kv on 3s (27t 540 or 21t 550) , a 1/10th brushless system performs best on 3s around 3500Kv. This is assuming proper geardown, and same size ESCs for both situations. Any faster for brushless, and copper losses in the ESC make the throttle feel "softer" and less torquey.

In situations where the rig doesn't have enough geardown, going to a lower Kv motor will make the rig drive better for the same reasons as the brushed example above. less balls to overheat the system and cause voltage drop, less spongy throttle feel.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #762
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
If your not running a pinion and spur no motor in the world will crawl with that 5:1 ratio you described. Personally I would scrap the transfer case and get one of the $40 wraith transmissions off ebay. There aren't that hard to mount in most rigs.

Rc4wd probably has a front motor mount kit that has a pinion and spur. Or bug the guy you bought it from, he probably has the mounts laying around some where.

the only way to run a standard axial trans is to trash the custom interior, hence the search for other options... I am looking into a front mounted motor like the rc4wd r3 trans uses, looks as if there may be enough room to put that in and get back to a more traditional gear reduction setup.
Attached Images

allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #763
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
the only way to run a standard axial trans is to trash the custom interior, hence the search for other options... I am looking into a front mounted motor like the rc4wd r3 trans uses, looks as if there may be enough room to put that in and get back to a more traditional gear reduction setup.
Why don't you get one of the many front mount transmissions that are available, like the GCM or SSD scale transmissions, or build a custom one with 3d printing

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #764
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Why don't you get one of the many front mount transmissions that are available, like the GCM or SSD scale transmissions, or build a custom one with 3d printing

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

initial upfront costs are keeping me away from those...I dont have a 3d printer and not sure how to get something printed and where to measure...I think the rc4wd r3 trans/motor mount will do the trick for the front mounted motor and trans... just have to save up the cash to get them.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #765
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
What’s weight on your Bomber durok?
No scale, weight is unknown - but probably pretty heavy, as it's got the full set of JEC Racing oversized stainless steel links everywhere, and stainless beef tubes, and full aluminum body panels, a stainless bellypan skid cover from AMF, and Incision 2.2" Method aluminum wheels. When I was running 4S, it had 6" tall Losi Maxis Creepy Crawlers on GearHead RC wheels (same gearing). Just the links themselves weigh a ton, had them in one hand and the kit links with SSD trailing arms in the other and it made me laugh out loud at the difference...
Attached Images

Last edited by durok; 10-08-2018 at 04:58 PM.
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #766
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Rc4wd r3 or disruptor. There are a few planetary gear boxes for not too much. Not the most durability I think.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:15 AM   #767
I wanna be Dave

Update - Pulled the trigger yesterday on the 1800kv Holmes Hobbies Revolver. Thanks for the recommendation @durok! Looking forward to spooning this sucker in to the Rock Bouncer. (and hopefully eating fewer parts!)
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #768
RCC Addict

Looking at Revolver outrunner 1800kv for RR10 Bomber with 3s, MMX. Will I be able to gear for sufficient speed - say 15-20mph? And still good crawl? Or will it overheat the setup?

I saw Duroc running it on 4s with stock gearing, but think he ran 3s as well. I want to make sure I'm not under-KV'ing it.

The alternative for me would be the Trailmaster BL pro540 in 2700 or 3300kv. They're about the same price. I'm too cheap to pay $150 for a motor. LOL

I'm not sure how to ask which one I would most happy with - crawler 70% trail and bashing 30%.

And just to confirm, the bec on the mmx is like 8ah, right? So the HH V500 servo will be good?
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #769
I wanna be Dave

The MMX BEC is plenty powerful enough to supply the HH HV500 servo.

I have been running 3S rather than 4S on my stock-geared Bomber (stock diff gear ratios as well) ever since I switched to my HH SHV500 v1 servo, as it is powered directly by the battery.

No complaints on the speed at all, trust me.

Someday down the road I may need to upgrade the servo to a v2, which is 4S capable - then I can get even sillier again with the 1800kv Revolver.

Since you are planning on using the built-in BEC to power the servo, you can easily try out 4S whenever you like for sh*ts and giggles!
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #770

I would personally choose the trailmaster motor over the Revolver if speed is the goal. But, the revolver will take high speed gearing. The low speed control will just suffer a little more compared to a higher speed motor geared down. It is always better to use a faster motor with more gear reduction, up to around 3500kv. Past that point, low speed control begins to suffer due to copper losses in the ESC.

Tough choice. The sensorless startup on the MMX isn't as good as the mamba X and sw4, so because of this I would recommend the TrailMaster instead.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #771
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I would personally choose the trailmaster motor over the Revolver if speed is the goal. But, the revolver will take high speed gearing. The low speed control will just suffer a little more compared to a higher speed motor geared down. It is always better to use a faster motor with more gear reduction, up to around 3500kv. Past that point, low speed control begins to suffer due to copper losses in the ESC.

Tough choice. The sensorless startup on the MMX isn't as good as the mamba X and sw4, so because of this I would recommend the TrailMaster instead.
Oops...I said MMX thinking that was the mamba-x, the latter is what I have selected for an esc. 3S power.

I saw your vids with the three TRX's and low speed start up was great for both motors.

I would rather sacrifice top speed for better crawl, but hence the question - can I get sufficient speed through gearing with the revolver motor while still keeping good low speed control? It seems like there a several advantages with the outrunner design, primarily due to flywheel affect and the 14-pole configuration.

Still recommend the trailmaster? If so, then 2700 or 3300KV? I don't want to make a $75 mistake, although I have to assume I'd be happy with either. And I could always buy the other motor down the road, put the revolver in one of my 1.9 crawlers.

Last edited by Browneye; 10-11-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #772

I love the way the Revolver crawls. If you are willing to sacrifice some speed for control and feel, it's the jam. The question is just how much speed you want. Of course, you could always regear depending on what you want to do that day. The only downside is the noise. If a noisy rig will bother you ,trailmaster.

Both will be solid choices, but the trailmaster will give a wider envelope of rig speed while keeping a more controlled startup. The question I can't answer for you is how much wheelspeed will be enough for you.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #773
Quarry Creeper

John,
Just wondering why you use silicone conformal coating vs urethane? Is urethane kinda overkill or is silicone just better for these applications?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #774
RCC Addict

Seems like silicone would be soft and urethane hard. That's all I know about those elements.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #775

For custom work and sensor boards (as we currently have motor housings designed), Silicone has better coverage and protection, and is also easier to apply. Typical one part Urethane suitable for small jobs is subject to crack over a few years. For potting work, silicone seems to protect better from shocks, and it lets us rework some failed ESCs. I originally used Urethane for the first few years. Failure rate has been so low that we are actually considering switching back to a two part Urethane for potting work, but will still use silicone conformal for small job, sensor boards, and custom work.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #776
RCC Addict

Quote:
I love the way the Revolver crawls. If you are willing to sacrifice some speed for control and feel, it's the jam. The question is just how much speed you want. Of course, you could always regear depending on what you want to do that day. The only downside is the noise. If a noisy rig will bother you ,trailmaster.

Both will be solid choices, but the trailmaster will give a wider envelope of rig speed while keeping a more controlled startup. The question I can't answer for you is how much wheelspeed will be enough for you.

TrailmasterProBL 540 in 3300kv ordered from RPP - along with a HV500 servo.

Thanks for your dedication to the sport.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #777
Quarry Creeper

Thanks makes sense. Used to use the urethane in industrial boilers, so I gravitated towards it for rc. Next bottle will be silicone, though it'll be a while before it in out of my current one
Quote:
For custom work and sensor boards (as we currently have motor housings designed), Silicone has better coverage and protection, and is also easier to apply. Typical one part Urethane suitable for small jobs is subject to crack over a few years. For potting work, silicone seems to protect better from shocks, and it lets us rework some failed ESCs. I originally used Urethane for the first few years. Failure rate has been so low that we are actually considering switching back to a two part Urethane for potting work, but will still use silicone conformal for small job, sensor boards, and custom work.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #778
RCC Addict

Ok here it goes, John, I’ve got a trx-4 bronco. Mostly stock and is my trail rig. I like the speed of the rig as it is stock. Don’t want it faster but a touch slower would be ok. I’ve got two of your trailmaster sport 550 cans in my parts bin. 35t and 45t. I’m running 3s and stock electronics except a cc bec for the steering servo.

Would there be any benefits to putting either of those trailmaster sport motors in and actually gearing UP the pinion to keep same (ish) top end speed on same 3s power? Just wondering if run times will be longer because they’re a more powerful motor than the stock 21t titan. Motor and esc temps be lower?

Also, I have a brand new HV500v2 servo I’m putting in another rig. It has the hobbywing 1080 esc. Should that esc’s internal bec set to 7.4 volts keep up with your servo? I haven’t had any problems with the generic 25g servo in it at 6.0 volts but figured I’d ask. Everyone is raving about how strong that esc’s bec is.

Thank you

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #779
RCC Addict

I power my hv500 V2 direct from my 3s lipo in my TRX works great.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #780
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
I power my hv500 V2 direct from my 3s lipo in my TRX works great.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
Same

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM