Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #801
RCC Addict

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Will a TORQUEMASTER EXPERT 550 27t push a heavy truck ? Apparently my motor died, a few guys said my truck is heavy, compared to their rigs, so is that an ok motor to use for a heavy truck ?
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #802
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yes it will. Trailmaster 27t 550 could be another choice if you want to test you rig weight on a similar but less expensive brushed motor.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #803
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Yes it will. Trailmaster 27t 550 could be another choice if you want to test you rig weight on a similar but less expensive brushed motor.

I had a 21t silver can 550 , that smoked. I want the TORQUEMASTER EXPERT 550 so i can be more at ease.....LOL thanks JRH.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #804
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
Will a TORQUEMASTER EXPERT 550 27t push a heavy truck ? Apparently my motor died, a few guys said my truck is heavy, compared to their rigs, so is that an ok motor to use for a heavy truck ?
One is currently powering my 20 lb 8x8, so I'd say yes. Plus you're likely to be half that weight, lol

I prefer to use the Crawlmaster 550 motors when I dont need the extra torque, start up and low speed control is a bit better. I have a few of them powering 8-9 lb trucks just fine.

EDIT: another thing to consider is gearing, if its too high the motor will cook regardless of weight.

I also had a question, I'm working on a Turbo Scorpion thats using a Mamba Max Pro ESC and a Tekin ROC 412 sensored motor and I feel like I might have a bad sensor cable.

A few times now I've dialed in the settings in Castle Link and its had great low speed control for a little bit then something happens and it switches over to having no low speed finesse at all. I read in the Castle link smart sense description that if the sensor wire isnt detected it switches over to sensorless mode which I'm guessing might be happening.

I still need to check and see if I have a spare sensor wire to test but I thought I'd post this in the mean time.

EDIT: I just found a spare sensor wire and swapping it in fixed my issue

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 10-31-2018 at 09:08 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #805
Rock Stacker

Question about the feature of Punch control in the Castle link software:

Following the recomendation to run 30% Punch control set via castle link, because otherwise electronics dumped to much energy without a limit set. That sounds quiet comrehensible.

I'm running a RR10 with 9 Ib on 2S and ask myself if to much Punch control would limit the acceleration of the rig, because 30% sounds like a high value.
Would be the way to bring acceleration the step to 3S?
ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #806
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToCrawl View Post
Question about the feature of Punch control in the Castle link software:

Following the recomendation to run 30% Punch control set via castle link, because otherwise electronics dumped to much energy without a limit set. That sounds quiet comrehensible.

I'm running a RR10 with 9 Ib on 2S and ask myself if to much Punch control would limit the acceleration of the rig, because 30% sounds like a high value.
Would be the way to bring acceleration the step to 3S?
Yes, go 3s. After to go 3s then you can figure out punch.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #807
Quarry Creeper

I have a potentially dumb question but have yet to find the answer. I searched and checked castles website. Thank you

Q: can I run a brushed motor on a Castle mamba x esc?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #808
RCC Addict

Yes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #809
I wanna be Dave

If your buying strictly for brushed motors ask yourself if the aux wire on the mamba x is worth $100. If not then I highly recomend the hobby wing 1080 for brushed for $40. The 1080 is also quieter, but has no throttle curve. The mamba x can handle 6s batteries but brushed motors can't. 4s for brushed motors.

Personally I would only buy the mamba x for a sensored brushless motor. I don't think it's a great value compared to the hobbywing's.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 11-04-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #810
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
If your buying strictly for brushed motors ask yourself if the aux wire on the mamba x is worth $100. If not then I highly recomend the hobby wing 1080 for brushed for $40. The 1080 is also quieter, but has no throttle curve.
Thanks for the reply. I already have the mamba x with a Hh stubby 2700kv and I love it. So much power on 3s. I just want to try a nice Hh brushed motor to see if I like it better

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #811
I wanna be Dave

On the mamba x, depending on how low your gear ratio is you get a slightly lower initial start speed and less torque. I run my rigs at 80:1 to 100:1 and find that this initial startup speed is below speeds I drive out in the rocks. Although I thought I wanted it originally , I don't think I would notice if it all of the sudden it wasn't there.

If I were to buy new electronics I would get a HH Trailmaster 550 21t and a hw 1080 with a 90:1 gear ratio. It is a very capable value.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #812
RCC Addict

Uh, you can definitely set throttle start on the 1080 - it's one of it's best features. That and the drag brake stepping.

I just got mine running - with MambaX and TrailmasterProBL 3300kv on 3S. I got talked into this by the group, and while it's certainly fun it is absolutely just stupid-fast even geared down a bit to 11/64. It has already done a few front flips and cartwheels. LOL.

Startup and slow speed is everything one could want for crawling. I tried it on 2S last night and going that way as top speed is more manageable and start up is even better. Reverse set to 25% - just fine for crawl work.

On 3S the motor gets quite hot - too hot to hold a finger - I don't have a temp gauge, but set the esc to shut down at 170. On 2S it doesn't even get warm.

IMO a brushless system is the way to go for a bomber unless you'll ONLY crawl it. It is so much fun with some speed and I think you're missing out on half of what it can do if you put brushed power in it, even worse on 2s. JMHO - oh well.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #813
RCC Addict

So before i solder ..... The pic is the HH motor, with fingers pointing on the positive side of the motor(both tabs)
and the arrows are on the negative side of the motor. Am i correct, i don't want to solder the wrong tabs(i hope that's what they are called) and mess up the motor?
.......lf pic doesn't pop up, its in the Google photo link.....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ob8YqxkjrjbAXMLWA
:
Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #814
RCC Addict

I don't think it matters on a brushed motor since you can swap the wires when you plug it to the ESC anyway.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #815
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Uh, you can definitely set throttle start on the 1080 - it's one of it's best features. That and the drag brake stepping.

I just got mine running - with MambaX and TrailmasterProBL 3300kv on 3S. I got talked into this by the group, and while it's certainly fun it is absolutely just stupid-fast even geared down a bit to 11/64. It has already done a few front flips and cartwheels. LOL.

Startup and slow speed is everything one could want for crawling. I tried it on 2S last night and going that way as top speed is more manageable and start up is even better. Reverse set to 25% - just fine for crawl work.

On 3S the motor gets quite hot - too hot to hold a finger - I don't have a temp gauge, but set the esc to shut down at 170. On 2S it doesn't even get warm.

IMO a brushless system is the way to go for a bomber unless you'll ONLY crawl it. It is so much fun with some speed and I think you're missing out on half of what it can do if you put brushed power in it, even worse on 2s. JMHO - oh well.

I run my bomber on a 21T trailmaster sport brushed 550 motor, hobbywing 1080 and a 3s 35c LiPo.

I went from full throttle bashing to crawling and trailing in between without ever overheating the motor or ESC.

It get a little warm when I got full throttle for almost a full pack in the summer sun...

Maybe you have a bad motor mesh?

Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 AM   #816
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
So before i solder ..... The pic is the HH motor, with fingers pointing on the positive side of the motor(both tabs)
and the arrows are on the negative side of the motor. Am i correct, i don't want to solder the wrong tabs(i hope that's what they are called) and mess up the motor?
.......lf pic doesn't pop up, its in the Google photo link.....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ob8YqxkjrjbAXMLWA
:
If they are soldered backwards, you can always un-solder them and re-solder them. Or you can unscrew the endbell and rotate it 180 degrees.
On a brushed motor having reverse polarity wires (reversing positive and negative) just makes it run backwards instead of forwards, it wont damage anything.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 AM   #817
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
I run my bomber on a 21T trailmaster sport brushed 550 motor, hobbywing 1080 and a 3s 35c LiPo.

I went from full throttle bashing to crawling and trailing in between without ever overheating the motor or ESC.

It get a little warm when I got full throttle for almost a full pack in the summer sun...

Maybe you have a bad motor mesh?

There are so many things that add heat to the motor tho its hard to compair; gear ratio, terrain like grass, worn bearings, vehicle weight, how soft your tire foams are, your pwm frequency, airflow across the motor...
Old 11-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #818
RCC Addict

I set mambax to shut down at 170* - it has not shut down. A little warmer than I like on full throttle runs but not overheating.
On 2s it barely gets warm. If/when I go back to 3s power I'll gear down a little anyway. No problems.

3300kv brushless on 3s with 11/64 gearing is blistering fast.
Still crawls great.

For 3s I think I would get a 68T spur to start.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #819
Quarry Creeper

I want creepy crawly throttle. I like slow speed technical crawling. I have a 6lb toyzuki V2 running overdrive to front axle. I picked up a new TEKIN FXR esc. I'm running a 3s battery and have the stock scx10:2 kit pinion and spur gear. I'm not sure what my crawl ratio is with the V2 chassis setup but id like to know. I've always ran tekin 45t pro motor but she is worn out and ill rebuild it to be a backup motor. What brushed motor should I go with for my setup and my driving style.
intheworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #820
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheworks View Post
I want creepy crawly throttle. I like slow speed technical crawling. I have a 6lb toyzuki V2 running overdrive to front axle. I picked up a new TEKIN FXR esc. I'm running a 3s battery and have the stock scx10:2 kit pinion and spur gear. I'm not sure what my crawl ratio is with the V2 chassis setup but id like to know. I've always ran tekin 45t pro motor but she is worn out and ill rebuild it to be a backup motor. What brushed motor should I go with for my setup and my driving style.

If you liked how it ran why not put another 45T motor in it?

Maybe I missed something...

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM