Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #181
support@rc4wd.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hey Guys,

Storm- Not sure, hopefully yes, we'll have to see, We've only really talked about it, not really started on it.
How much will this cost us? Seems you guys would put a usb port on these to do the updates instead of us sending these in :-(. Ive never used anything other then Novak and doubt I switch but at $200 for the Goat setup. I would expect theses things to be right. Im starting to feel like a tester myself.
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #182
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Powers View Post
My rooster has no issues and works great(m8 with dsm). Even with no caps on my lathe moter, not a glitch.
Thanks novak
X's 2. I run the same everything. I've been running this setup a long time now
with no issues. My two brushless crawler systems have had many issues and
still do even after sending them both back to be updated.
cars69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #183
Quarry Creeper

Got my rooster on mon and it has the glitch! lol i am running a jrz1 pro radio with spektrum. The set up consists of a ax-10/jrz1 pro spektrum/pro reciver/hitech hs 645mg servo/65t integy lathe motor/and the rooster or the xrs. But my brother is running a ax-10/jrz590 servo/xrs speed controller/integy 65t lathe motor/ m11 with spektrum. He has no issues what so ever with his but mine glitch's? I havent read the whole forum on this but i was wondering has anybody tried to run the differnt endbell on there lathe motor? like one from a co27/p2k2?
josh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #184
Rock Crawler

Cars- Email me, I'll see what I can do. Just give me a rundown of what you have and the problems you're having.

rob- Not sure, we've not gotten that far yet. The system does lots of things better then the rest, and one thing worse, I think we did okay. THe more we work with guys, the more they talk to us, the easier it is for us to understand what we can do to address their needs. At least we're trying to help.

Josh- Just about any spektrum setup will have the glitch. Your brother setup doesn't cause he's using an XRS. the XRS doesn't have massive drag brake the RCE, so you don't see it. Also, he's not using spektrum. It really has very little to do with anything but the spektrum system outputing this very strange signal "bounce" at very low throttle input. The ESC is very simply doing what is is told.

Hey JRH, what did the scope show you?? Confirmed or Denied??
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #185
I wanna be Dave

Is that just with the Spektrums, or the Nomadios too? I have a Sensor and will be buying an RCE here at some point.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #186
Quarry Creeper

Hey charlie he is running spektrum and i used his XRS in my truck and it glitched just like the rooster?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #187
Rock Crawler

Thor- I've not tested it with the Nomadio- Sorry.

Josh- Are you asking me or telling me? If you are having some sort of problem, please email me if that's the case.

Thanks
Charlie@teamnovak.com
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #188
Quarry Creeper

I have used a rooster CE with a nomadio sensor with no issues. and it was an ESC that was eventially snet in for reprograming.

-peter-

ohh yeah

my son runs a RCE in his comp truck with a futaba 2pl radio and a Stock RC18t Rx, with no issues as well.
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #189
Quarry Creeper

no charlie i was just wondering if it was just certin radios or all spektrum systems?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 AM   #190
Quarry Creeper

i was just wondering about putting a capacitor on the reciver like on the lrp speed controlls to help the personal transponders work? they say it also helps them to quit qlitching? never mind tried it today and same results.

Last edited by josh97; 12-20-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #191

I am having some issues running my new Goat setup in my AX-10. We bought 2 goat combos and the first one running on a Spektrum DX 3.0 radio works great. The second one is running on a JR XS3 radio we're having some problems. The wiring is the same on both trucks and both are running a 7.2v nicad battery pack. The problem is that the truck won't start to move on its own - that is if you give it a gentle push it moves away fine but as soon as it returns to neutral it won't restart on its own. It does this in both forward and reverse. I have tried changing over the radio gear and going through the programming again but it doesn't make any difference at all. Any feedback would be really great. I've sent this to charlie@novak too but am itching to get this thing up and running. Any feedback would be great!!
mrlentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #192

Wondering if there is any reason not to the Goat Crawler for my TXT. I have never had this hardcore of a crawler before, but I want to stay away from brushed motor maintence. Thus far I have only heard poor things about the Crawler system. What should I get?
Adam
octanehuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:15 PM   #193
I wanna be Dave

Huffer, I love the Novak BL in my TXT-1. Gear it down from stock and it'll be fine. You'll love the smooth bottom end, and the TXT axles will have no trouble dealing with the torque

Lentle, sounds like a motor problem? Are you running the Goat ESC, or the whole BL system?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #194

Full goat esc/motor package
Old 12-24-2007, 04:51 AM   #195
I wanna be Dave

I shorted two of the motor leads on my TXT-1's Crawler BL when it fell off the workbench with the battery plugged in, and it acts the same way. Don't know if one of the windings is burnt, or if the controller is smoked, but it sure smells bad. Does it have the jitters when it runs, or is it nice and smooth? Either way it sounds like it needs to go back home for work.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #196

It runs smooth once its up and rolling but just always needs that helping hand. Having looked at the wiring on the crawler with the glitch I suspect you may be right with it being a motor fault - the leads off the top of the can are awful close to the esc fins (2 different builders, 2 different setups). Another's opinion is always good before I send it half way around the world to get it looked at. Cheers!
Old 12-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #197
Rock Crawler

MR- Email received and replied too. Sounds like that particular ESC is "bad".

Josh- Right this isn't related to a voltage level in the RX. The cap helps keep power to the RX smooth and somewhat filtered.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #198
Pebble Pounder

I have the original crawler system. I upgraded to the sintered rotor, sent it in to get the update, shortly after receiving the system back the esc let out a puff of white smoke. At that point in time I was past my warranty, so it has sat on the shelf since. If I buy a Goat esc will I have the equivalent of a Goat system? Has there been motor upgrades beyond the sintered rotor?

Thanks, Tim
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #199
Rock Crawler

If you have the sintered rotor, then yes, that would be virtually the same as a Goat System.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #200

Charlie, pro/experienced crawler dudes,
I'm new to crawling, but from what I understand some people set their drag brake to 100% braking. Is this the norm?
I'm asking because I have the Goat esc and the 21.5 crawler brushless and here's the problem I'm finding - When I tap on brakes going down here to slow down, and tap it again it kicks into reverse. Worse, reverse seems WAY WAY too strong. I can't hardly just tap reverse for subtle action; even with major negative exponential it's way too fast with a light tap. I find no way of turning down reverse in the esc, and if I crank it down in the transmitter, well that's cranking down my braking ability as well. Maybe I'm missing something fundamental here?

Also, I already set the esc's drag brake to it's strongest, 13.5%. But that doesn't seem nearly enough for me. From what I've seen on YouTube and such, it appears that many guys go directly to 100% each time the let up the throttle. Am I just trying to utilize the radio wrong?

And I've also noticed that 100% braking doesn't lock up the wheels totally. On a steep incline they'll still turn. Maybe I've got too much weight in the wheels? I've got the tires pretty much full of the green BB pellets recommended on this site.

So what I'd really like is: stronger drag brake; ability to turn down reverse speed (to say 10%), yet retain 100% braking.

But like I say, I'm so new to this that maybe I'm just missing some options, or maybe I just need to learn how to manage the transmitter controls appropriately. Any suggestions from the pro drivers and Novak is much appreciated.

...Ron
ronb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM