Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #161
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieMorgan View Post
I wish that I would have found this thread before I bought one... Mines glitching all over the place now... Primarily when the throttle is barely applied. Any news as to a fix yet?
There was a initial fix, but it isn't worth trying.

This is actually the big problem with the CE Rooster..... Luckily, I am hopeful Charlie and the boys at Novak found a better fix. I am expecting a package from them either today or tomorrow hopefully. I will post up once I give it a shot and see how it works.

As upset as I am with how the CE Rooster problems have been going, I am always understanding and I appreciate the customer service from Novak. As long as we're still making progress I'll stick with it. A lot of other companies would just say, ohh well. Live with it.

There are people that have gotten lucky and they have just the right combination of radio gear and settings so their CEs work flawlessly it seems, but the majority of people are having problems.
Rob92k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #162

One thing I learned very early on is to never skimp out on radio equipment, you get what you pay for. I've got a Rooster CE with a 3PJ that works fine, and a Goat with a 3PK that has no issues either. Just so anyone who has those radios will know.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #163

In case it helps anyone. I just got my AX-10 and a basic Futaba radio....Rooster Crawler with Novak 55t. I was pissed cause i read about all the issuses with the TX causing glitching with the ESC after the fact. Well i hoped for the best and it glitched a lot.....once i got it together.

I tried my Traxxas E-Maxx raido and that didn't help it was actually worse. So before i ordered another new radio....i tried the Duratrax/Tower radio and reciver that came with my Duratrax Evader ST...and with a little trim adjustment, its awesome. I will still get a hair of a glitch in reverse now and then at a hair off netrual but forward is smooth and glitch free. Ive had my Evader for a long time so i don't know if the radio/reciever has changed but if it hasn't maybe this can be a cheap way to get the glitches out for those on a budget......I was trying to avoid spending any more cash right now.....and quite suprised how well it works. Heres a link to the radio.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXXB01**&P=0
Grimmjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #164

My rooster has no issues and works great(m8 with dsm). Even with no caps on my lathe moter, not a glitch.
Thanks novak
Max Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #165
RCC Addict

hey

I run a Rooster Crawler edition and a 55t in my scaler with lipos and a lynx 3d (Hitec 75 mhz) with out a sigle problem.

I also run a Rooster Crawler edition in his Ax-10 with a Futaba 75 mhz AM radio without a problem. I just switched him to a Tq3 to make the R2d work, and no problems so far.

I am carefull to keep the signal wires (radio) and the power wire (motor and battery) appart and do not have caps on the motors.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #166
RCC Addict

I also installed the Rooster Crawler in my super this weekend. Its running 2 55t no caps and not a single issue. I'm also using an M8 with DSM. Sorry to hear all the issues that some of you are having. If and when you get it to work you'll be happy with it. I like it better then the Mamba Max in the super, just wish that it could take more then 7 cells.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs down I've had it with my Crawler Systems!

I got two of the original ones, they have spent more time in transit to/at Novak than in use. Tonight I was putting one in my scaler, fresh out of the bag back from Novak, and it won't start at all in reverse unless I spin it or nail it in reverse from forward and then the same thing starts to happen with forward. I guess I'll just have to follow it around and kick it.
I've got $500 in these things and have ran em less than a total of 2 days, one only has been ran a couple of times.

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 12-12-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:15 AM   #168
Quarry Creeper

While I have no new news as I haven't gotten another updated ESC back yet, I am still confident it will get resolved eventually.... We have our next comp this weekend, so I am going to be running a Regular Rooster and Integy SBEC in place of the Rooster CE. I won't have drag brake, but at least I know it will get me through the season without any problems, just as it did last season.

I'm hopeful that by comp #3 of the season, I'll have CE's in both rigs running flawlessly. We'll see..
Old 12-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #169

I have just fitted a goat system to my ax-10 with a spektrum 3.0 and am really pleased with it. Its quiet and smooth and the drag brakes are awesome. I'll be fitting another up next weekend with an old am radio set so am interested to see how it goes...
mrlentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #170
I wanna be Dave

Just got off the phone with Novak, they said to send both back and he was pretty sure they would be upgraded to the Goat being as they aren't doing the SS anymore.
Thanks God yall have great service, it's been needed frequently!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #171
Rock Crawler

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the "it works fine" posts. Makes my headache stop pounding for a few minutes....

Hopefully we'll have our "universal" fix ready soon. I've driven it a bit now and I think that it addresses the problem very well, and fixes the "bad things" we introduced last time.

If my week goes well, the two testers will have them somtime next week.

If there are any Cralwers out there that have the "SS" Crawler, and simply want a Goat instead, we now offer that through our Non Warranty Exchange program for $49 plus Shipping and Handling. Details are in the Customer Service Section of www.teamnovak.com.

JRH and Stormin- We've all sat down and discussed this down hill issue and feel we'll have a fairly good feature to add for the next revision that will be "loved by all". At this stage I have no Idea how long it will take to code up what we're talking about, but it's pretty involved and simple all at the same time. Now that we understand the issue, we can fix it no problem.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #172
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

For the downhill issue, just add in your regenerative braking while in neutral. Don't slam on the brakes, just charge the battery back up and you will have enough generator load to slow the vehicle down.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #173
I wanna be Dave

Charlie,

Thanks for taking part in this open discussion. I have the rooster CE and have some minor glitching. I also use a crappy radio, so no huge surprise either way. I'm not involved in comps (none around here!) so am not really too worried. However, if there is a fix, I'd like to take advantage of it. My question relates to what the cost would end up being? It's not really a warranty issue, but more of a recall issue, so I'm wondering how Novak is going to address this end of things?

I really like the esc, but if I end up having to shell out $40 or more for shipping, repair, etc., I'll be a little ticked since for that amount I could have bought another Mamba Max.

Chris
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #174
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Question about diagnosing radios, should I just hook up the signal from the radio to an oscilloscope?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #175
Rock Crawler

Ecoli- Most likely you'll simply have to send it in, it will be updated then shipped back. Worse case you'd pay the shipping.

UPS will cover from This coast to the other for about $8 each way. A far cry from $40. We only see this as a fix for an issue that other peoples products are creating.

The neutral signal that these problematic radio systems are generating is not really any fault of the ESC. It's just doing what is told to do.

JRH, Yup thats it, move it a "hair" off neutral sit back and watch the bounce.....
Old 12-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #176
I wanna be Dave

Hey Charlie, That's great news regarding the free rolling issue will you be able to retro fit the current model? Stormin
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Ecoli- Most likely you'll simply have to send it in, it will be updated then shipped back. Worse case you'd pay the shipping.

UPS will cover from This coast to the other for about $8 each way. A far cry from $40. We only see this as a fix for an issue that other peoples products are creating.

The neutral signal that these problematic radio systems are generating is not really any fault of the ESC. It's just doing what is told to do.

JRH, Yup thats it, move it a "hair" off neutral sit back and watch the bounce.....
Charlie, Any idea what TXs don't have the glitching issue with the Rooster Crawler. My set up now seems good but i'd like it flawless if i could. So far i really like the way it works and don't want to mess with it. Down the road if i decide to order up a new radio which ones seem to have a stable off netural signal??? Thanks for the help....
Grimmjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #178
I wanna be Dave

I can't wait to try a RC with my Nomadio.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:42 AM   #179
Rock Crawler

Hey Guys,

Storm- Not sure, hopefully yes, we'll have to see, We've only really talked about it, not really started on it.

Grim- I'm not sure about any official list, but the ones I've seen with this jitter have been the lower end models, and the spektrum stuff. I used racing type radios, M8/M11 and the 3PK with no problems, the non module'd middle/low end radios seemed to be the culprits most often.

I'd be willing to bet JRH will share his findings with us if we ask nicely.

Looks like I'll have some items for the testers to try this afternoon. I'm sure they'll be sharing their findings as well.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #180
Quarry Creeper

Once mine arrives, hopefully this next week, I have access to probably a dozen or more different radios and receivers to try out. I might be able to come up with more than that rather easily too. Everything from Traxxas TQ2s and Futaba Magnums, up to Spektrums, Nomadios and higher end stuff. Basically I'll just start testing and see what i come up with.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM