Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Free Wheeling?

Charlie or Steve,
Is there anything that can be done for free wheeling in downhill situations. I'm using a Futaba 2PL digital radio and I'm geared 12/87. I love the smooth power but the free wheeling is a problem for me in competition at least with my current driving technique. I'm assuming a brushed motor would solve the problem but that would be disappointing as I really like the smooth power band and precise forward control.
Norm
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Novak's website is down? i am trying to get some info about the capacitor on the ss5800 esc, any help would be appreciated.

Edit: never mind it's back up.

Last edited by cartronicshn; 11-29-2007 at 09:52 AM.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Charlie or Steve,
Is there anything that can be done for free wheeling in downhill situations. I'm using a Futaba 2PL digital radio and I'm geared 12/87. I love the smooth power but the free wheeling is a problem for me in competition at least with my current driving technique. I'm assuming a brushed motor would solve the problem but that would be disappointing as I really like the smooth power band and precise forward control.
Norm
I just realized some of you guys are talking about the " goat " esc/motor combo, i though the glitching and freewheeling were only happening on the rooster crawler esc?? I have my original crawler from novak with the revised esc board on my hl, it's drag brake works flawlessly, and if i give it a little throttle it will slow descend, what worries me is that i have 2 NIB "goats" ,and that these new models have that freewheeling problem, i don't know if to even open the packages up:?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Yup free wheeling is not what you want, I'm not sure if it isn't my set up or radio. So I'll ask the experts and being I use a free on line service I can't get by their filters so email is out of the question.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #145
Quarry Creeper

Well i just hooked up a Rooster crawler edition ESC, not too sure how i feel about it yet.

1. Instructions say that there are 4 throttle modes, however I can only find 2, I need to get to a LIPO setting so I dont burn my new rig to the ground. thats bad.

2. I have a glitch. But its only in when I turn the wheels, its really nasty if its just steering only, but when Driving its there but not too noticable.

Im more interested in getting the LIPO #3 setting than anything. It didnt come with any paperwork saying that there were only 2 battery settings like someone had mentioned before.

Got a comp comin up and I would really like to not have to send this thing back to Novak...

Natalie
NatalieMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #146

Hi, the Novak Rooster Crawler has just two profiles (the #2 is for Lipo cut-off). This is stated in a little enclosed to the manual that You should find in the box (unfortunately the manual still refers to the 4 profile of the original Rooster)

Bye
andreazinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:02 AM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Yup free wheeling is not what you want, I'm not sure if it isn't my set up or radio. So I'll ask the experts and being I use a free on line service I can't get by their filters so email is out of the question.
Have you tried reseting esc? all your radio adjustments to 0 and epa ? i find it curious that i have the original novak crawler that only got serviced by Charlie and Novak(only changed the board on the esc) and i don't have this particular problem, it seems they would have integrated that fix on to the newer "goat" system:?, Stormin, i am by no means implying that your esc doesn't have a problem, just trying to help, it could also be the hl gearing?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #148
RCC Addict

Can you run 8 2/3 cells on a rooster crawl or are you limited to the 4-7 cells like they advertise
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
Can you run 8 2/3 cells on a rooster crawl or are you limited to the 4-7 cells like they advertise
You probably can run them, but i would advice against it as it will void the warranty.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #150
RCC Addict

Default Rooster problems

So what is the latest word from novak on the rooster crawl have they figure out what the problems yet. I'm wondering because I was going to buy one but I don't want the problems. I mean I have faith in novak I;m sure they will figure it out
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #151
Rock Crawler

Hey Guys,

Try emailing us before you think it will be bounced, if you put a subject like "novak support" or Crawler or something it usually goes through just fine. The only issues I've seen lately were due to lack of subject.

Now the down hill freewheel should happen with just about any ESC. "I think".

It's gravity, not a shortcoming of the ESC. When the truck is parked on a hill, and you apply throttle, you release the brake, so the truck rolls faster then the motor, and it free wheels. We are looking into a way for us to address this in the "Goat", but will be more difficult int he Rooster Crawler. From what I'm told it's a very fixable situation, just requires a lot of new "code" and that simply takes time.

Now, onto the previous "stutter" bursting situations of the Rooster Crawler. Our first go round of the fix for these Spektrum/Sport radios didn't go well. The testers didn't like how it worked, so we went back to the old drawing board. I've driven the old vs the new vs the original. I think the newest stuff should run just like the orig, just with no glitch. We'll know more later this week. We're not going to jump the gun and send these off with out more testing on our own. As we did that and the testers were not happy with the result. I've emailed both of them and hopefully we'll have this sorted out by next week.

Thanks Guys
Charlie@teamnovak.com
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #152
Rock Crawler

FLO- Call CS tomorrow and give them your name and address they can check status of your order.

That freewheel is different then the one I was talking about in my previous post. Sorry for the confusion.

We are working on a solution, we're not brushing anything off. We all just got really busy last week and I wasn't able to spend the time "forum" hunting as I usually do.

Sorry guys. Gmail gets through fine, hotmail is lame. If you put a subject like NOVAK or NOVAK CRAWLING, it will be more likely to not get stuck. NEVER send emails with no subject as the filter thinks they are spam.

This seems to be a transmitter related issue, the transmitter is causing an issue for the ESC. But I suppose you could look at it completely oposite as well.

Last edited by Charlie; 12-03-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Charlie, what did you say about freewheeling I'm confused it happens to people with small brains. Thanks Storm
Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #154

Charlie,
I sent you an e-mail with a suggestion, the send from address is j.s.wood@grandecom.net.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #155
Pebble Pounder

I have run the original SS system, The Goat and the Rooster Crawler on all of my trucks now and have put some serious runtime in on all systems.

Re the Goat glitching off idle, try increasing the deadband setting. I found this reduced the sensitivity of the ESC to the spikes either side of neutral on the transmitter and I am much happier with the performance.

Cheers, JK
MudCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #156
Rock Crawler

Storm. I typed before I read. The freewheeling being asked about was related to a failure in the ESC.

The Freewheeling I was talking about is this: When you're stopped pointed down hill. And want to slowly drive further down the hill. It can be difficult depending on the angle.

The truck naturally wants to roll down the hill. Sometimes it will go faster then the motor is being told to go. This has been described by some as a free wheel effect. We're looking into solutions for this.

Whoodie, Got it and replied just now, thank you very much.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Hey Charlie,
Thanks I got it straight now, thats what I'm talking about. It sure would be nice to have that fixed the Goat System would be 100% perfect then. We have the opportunity for that condition to happen allot.
Storm
Old 12-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #158
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you could make the Goat recharge the batteries when the motor spins faster than the RMS voltage applied x KV (when the motor is a generator) you will have a true drag brake. Get rid of the hold brake at neutral throttle and let the battery take the wattage of a downhill decent. That will allow for brake modulation too. I know you guys have smart braking and regenerative braking on other ESCs, you just gotta find a way to do it on the Goat.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #159
I wanna be Dave

and the rooster crawler also.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #160
Quarry Creeper

I wish that I would have found this thread before I bought one... Mines glitching all over the place now... Primarily when the throttle is barely applied. Any news as to a fix yet?
NatalieMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM