Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #1001
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris View Post

Can I run this thing without the huge ass capacitor?
I'd really like to get rid of that cap.

That capacitor is your friend, don't get rid of it.

Harry
from Atlanta
Old Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #1002

Default Re: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

I've just invested in a Novak M2 ESC + motor combo for my clod bases home brew crawler. I bought it after using the HV series on my 1/8ths.
Anyone using it or should i have spent my hard earned on something else? I'm new to crawlers but not new to RC so bear with me.
curbcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #1003
I wanna be Dave

There have been mixed results with the M2. Great idea, but issues with the early ones. I'm not if they've been resolved or not.
Do a search for "M2" in the subject line within this forum to read other threads about them.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #1004

can i safely run a pro4 tekin motor off a goat 2s or 3s?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #1005
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
Can I safely run a pro4 Tekin motor off a goat 2s or 3s?
Most ESC's have a "wind limit" which is the minimum # of turns for a single motor. If you run dual motors, at least double the limit (a 15T limit for a single would be dual 35T or higher motors)
-There may be different numbers for brushed/brushless
-There may be different limits depending on voltage in (2S or 3S LiPO for example).

I believe the site is www.TeamTekin.com
Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Most ESC's have a "wind limit" which is the minimum # of turns for a single motor. If you run dual motors, at least double the limit (a 15T limit for a single would be dual 35T or higher motors)
-There may be different numbers for brushed/brushless
-There may be different limits depending on voltage in (2S or 3S LiPO for example).

I believe the site is www.TeamTekin.com
did i offended you? i dont think my question was all that ignorant. the pro4 is a pretty hot motor and im curious about running one off a novak crawler esc and am hoping for a little bit of guidance. havent had much luck with tekin escs lately, (my fault i think) but i got a couple goats that have been pretty solid.

my tekin pro4 is the 3300kv version. i know that the goat 3s limits 13.5 for 2s and 18.5 for 3s. i knew that before i posted. but i also know that winds and turns are not easily converted and i was very unclear on the turn rating for the tekin.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #1007
I wanna be Dave

No, you didn't offend me.
I could have asked what you knew about motors & ESC's, waited for a reply, then posted again with ideas.
Or, I could assume you knew only a little (which appears wrong on my part) and cover some of the basics. Then give you a link to check the rest on your own.

No, I didn't bother to see if the motor was brushed or brushless, my bad.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember the KV to turns conversion. I have seen lists that are a good guide though.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #1008

thanks for the reply. im trying not to be frustrated by my situation...

ive lunched two rspro escs this month by doing something wrong during installation. both failed about a minute or two after plugging the battery in after soldering everything up. frustrating as hell but i'm trying to be mellow about it since its prolly something im doing during the soldering process.

ive never have had an issue with a novak product, ive desoldered & resoldered the motor and batt wires off them many times for different wiring layouts and never ever had an issue... i just dont want to burn up another esc doing something stupid like using a way too hot motor with too many volts.

i'm gonna try it with the goat on 2s. i actually already have it wired up and it didnt burn up doing donuts in the kitchen... just checking with the peeps before i potentially fry stuff.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #1009
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
can i safely run a pro4 tekin motor off a goat 2s or 3s?
No. We are doing some analysis on that motor and I will publish our findings when available.

Keep in mind that the Pro 4 is comparable to a 4 turn motor.

Last edited by NovakTwo; 12-16-2011 at 08:16 AM.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #1010
Quarry Creeper

Charlie S, csuangka@teamnovak.com, is our crawler expert and is always available to answer your questions and assist you with your Novak gear.

Quote:
thanks for the reply. im trying not to be frustrated by my situation...

ive lunched two rspro escs this month by doing something wrong during installation. both failed about a minute or two after plugging the battery in after soldering everything up. frustrating as hell but i'm trying to be mellow about it since its prolly something im doing during the soldering process.

ive never have had an issue with a novak product, ive desoldered & resoldered the motor and batt wires off them many times for different wiring layouts and never ever had an issue... i just dont want to burn up another esc doing something stupid like using a way too hot motor with too many volts.

i'm gonna try it with the goat on 2s. i actually already have it wired up and it didnt burn up doing donuts in the kitchen... just checking with the peeps before i potentially fry stuff.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
No. We are doing some analysis on that motor and I will publish our findings when available.

Keep in mind that the Pro 4 is comparable to a 4 turn motor.
good to know! thanks!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #1012
I wanna be Dave

Default can a goat 3s run other brands of sensored brushless motors?

I've been searching around and have gotten some feedback but would like to get confirmation from a novak Rep. I want to run a tekin 13.5 redline motor with my goat 3s in my scaler in sensored mode so I can keep the low speed control. From what I've read this combo will not operate like a crawler, I.e. its will not have a drag brake. Sounds as if the goat has to be paired with a novak ballistic crawler motor. If you use another brand of motor the goat will operate like a havok esc.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #1013
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: can a goat 3s run other brands of sensored brushless motors?

I posted the response/links in your other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
I've been searching around and have gotten some feedback but would like to get confirmation from a novak Rep. I want to run a tekin 13.5 redline motor with my goat 3s in my scaler in sensored mode so I can keep the low speed control. From what I've read this combo will not operate like a crawler, I.e. its will not have a drag brake. Sounds as if the goat has to be paired with a novak ballistic crawler motor. If you use another brand of motor the goat will operate like a havok esc.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #1014

I put the Novak mongoose 18.5t crawler kit in my MRC and for some reason after the first pack the ESC was getting pretty hot. It then shut off (initially i thought lipo cutoff) but I also had a feeling the temp of the esc may have also been the cause of total power loss. I have it on a 3s lipo for now. The only other electronic upgrade i have is a HiTec 645 servo.

After a series of additional packs, it seems that the esc still tends to heat up, but it will also now shut off and turn back on (almost like a reset) when i try to jerk it out of a tough spot with the throttle or even just hold the steering to either side. I'm pretty confused on why these things are happening...

What could be the potential factors contributing to these issues?

Cheers!

Last edited by hkst51r; 12-31-2011 at 01:00 AM.
hkst51r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #1015
Rock Crawler

Howdy, sorry again for my absence, but you can always email us directly for quick feedback.

I get both the Tech@teamnovak.com and the csuangka@teamnovak.com emails.

THANKS!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #1016
Pebble Pounder

Hello there, I dont know if you guys still check this thread but I'm having a problem with my Novak Goat 2S Crawler System, when I plug up a batterey, its a 4800 mAh 2S Li-Po, the motor AND esc get extremely hot very quickly, I was given this system by a friend who had said that it had stopped working one day and had done the same thing to him, the motor turns by hand, its not locked up but it almost feels like one of the magnets has moved inward twards the rotor and is rubbing it, its not much at all and you can feel a slight cogging when turned by hand, now to my question, can you give me a few ideas of what might be the problem here and if this is a problem I can fix or what I need to do to get this system working propely again?
The-Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #1017

I just wanted to share my experience with the Novak M2 Dig W/ Rockstar motor combo. The kit came complete with the ESC, Fan, BEC, 2 leads for running the BEC on 3S and 2 Rockstar motors.

The ESC came with nice wires for the motors already soldered to the ESC. Nice touch.

The latest firmware is setup for front and rear dig but no proportional. The motors are strong and the wheel speed is good on 3S. I like the way that it operates

Its working really well for me. Some people complain that the dig is weak. My experience is that in a super high traction situation the axle that you are trying to stop will turn some but it is still very effective.
The setup is not hard but you do have to read the instructions several times because the ESC LED programming doesn't allow for reading as you go. The programming will time out quickly if you are not on the ball. It took me about 5 tries and then I was ready to rock. This was no fault of the ESC, I just kept dorking it up on my TX.

Im really happy with it and hope that it lasts as long as my other Novak stuff.
Helimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #1018
Quarry Creeper

mine glitchs at low speed just kinda jumps, sooooooo pist off. spent good money on this has 10 min on it. i was warned about novack, now i just want my money back. Nothing like i thought not would be. Slow, glitchy, and huge to fit in rigs. This seems and feels like a very CHEAP set up, to bad ITS NOT
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #1019

Mine was doin the same thing trig I changed the deadband? I think and it fixed it and I love mine now. If you haven't done that try it.
Bgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #1020
I wanna be Dave

I had an M2, it came with a used XR-10. No matter what I tried, it never had the "off the line" smoothness of a CC ESC or a FX-R. I was using it with a hacked GT3B.

Sold the M2 and dropped in a pair of CC Sidewinder Micros, the rig is much better now using the same radio, motors & batteries.

If you can get the M2 to do what you want, great. If you can't, you're not alone.

PS, regarding the NovaLink & the M2. Some sources (like the Novak site) say you can use the link, other sources (like the Novak site) say that you should NOT use the link.

I didn't want to take a chance so never used the link.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM