Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #801
"HOLLYWOOD"

Any update on the M2Dig? They said early Feb.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #802
Pebble Pounder

This might be a dumb question but, I just picked up a Goat 2S, and I have no idea how to wire the BEC. I'm guessing its the two pins for the auxiliary fan. And then the signal to the servo comes straight from the receiver..? Is this correct? I'm pretty new, but it's not exactly explained in any documents from Novak, and I want to do it right the first time.
Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #803

Any timeframe on catching up with demand for the 3s Goat/ballistic motor systems. I've had one on order from tower for over a month.
LD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #804
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C View Post
This might be a dumb question but, I just picked up a Goat 2S, and I have no idea how to wire the BEC. I'm guessing its the two pins for the auxiliary fan. And then the signal to the servo comes straight from the receiver..? Is this correct? I'm pretty new, but it's not exactly explained in any documents from Novak, and I want to do it right the first time.
the neg a pos leads of the bec solder up with the matching leads of the esc plug that goes to the battery you will need to solder them on and the signal wire goes into the battery or axu. port on your reciver
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #805
RCC Addict

Quote:
The extra outputs are for the fan, you can power a servo from them but it doesn't output any more power than the wire that alread runs to the rx.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #806
Rock Stacker

you should try rpphobbies, thats were i got mine. when you do get it you will love it crazy as hell
n0b420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #807
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
the neg a pos leads of the bec solder up with the matching leads of the esc plug that goes to the battery you will need to solder them on and the signal wire goes into the battery or axu. port on your reciver
Wouldn't that send straight battery voltage to the servo..? I'm not quite sure I understand, because Novak claims it is a 6V/5A BEC, but if it solders to the battery leads, it would be whatever battery voltage is, no?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #808
RCC Addict

He's telling you how to add an external BEC like the 3s goat has. The wire that runs from the ESC to the RX is the 5 amp line, the other two pins just jump off it to power a fan, you don't need them.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #809
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
He's telling you how to add an external BEC like the 3s goat has. The wire that runs from the ESC to the RX is the 5 amp line, the other two pins just jump off it to power a fan, you don't need them.
Ohhh. So the esc sends power to the steering servo through the receiver?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #810

Just a few pictures of our newly built Tamiya CR-01 Junfac Joker.
We have a Novak Rooster, 55 Turn Novak motor, Intellect 4200mah Lipo saddle batteries and a Castle 10 amp BEC powering 2 x Hi-tec HS-5645MG servos via a y lead for crab crawl. this is my son and my first home build.

Tried to make the wiring as net as poss, there sure is a lot of it, and to get the receiver as far away from the ESC.

We have a Etronix powerpal charger, but it did not come with the correct balance board to connect to the lipo's for balance charging.

Cheers

Simon.

Syncrosimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #811
Rock Crawler

Woohoo, look at the Tidy Wires, like a harness out of a real VW.... maybe even a few extra wires!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #812
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Woohoo, look at the Tidy Wires, like a harness out of a real VW.... maybe even a few extra wires!
qft. not lowered like a real VW, though.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #813
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ohhh. So the esc sends power to the steering servo through the receiver?
Yes, the extra outputs just bridge off those.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #814
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yes, the extra outputs just bridge off those.
It just doesn't make sense to me. The receiver originally sent power from the external battery pack to both receivers. How does the receiver know that it is supposed to take power from the ESC output and send it to the steering servo output?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #815
RCC Addict

The three wires running from the ESC to the RX are: red+, black- and white signal. The RX + and - bridge all the way up and down with seperate signals. The ESC powers the RX and servo's the same as the RX pack did in the nitro's.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #816
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The three wires running from the ESC to the RX are: red+, black- and white signal. The RX + and - bridge all the way up and down with seperate signals. The ESC powers the RX and servo's the same as the RX pack did in the nitro's.
Wild. So by just "plugging and playing", I'm utilizing the BEC. Who'd'a thought?

Also, by just plugging the positive and negative leads to the positive and negative inputs on the ESC, I am utilizing the low voltage cutoff, correct?

Last edited by Rob C; 02-09-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #817

I just went and bought one of the goat 3 s withe ballistic 18.5 turn and it rocks
signalmtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #818
Rock Crawler

ok i have a goat 3s with 18.5 motor. some times when i power it on it well run fine for a min. or two then well start to glitch out? what shoould i do to fix this?
tomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #819
RCC Addict

Rob C, you have to turn the cutoff on in the programming.

Also at some point depending on how many servo's you run and how many amps they draw you might need to add an external BEC, for me the one built in was enough for a 8711, but when I added a dig servo I had to add the external unit. There's a couple ways to wire them in, Either the way stated above by 2500hdon37s or directly powering the servo's.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #820
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Rob C, you have to turn the cutoff on in the programming.
I did.

Quote:
Also at some point depending on how many servo's you run and how many amps they draw you might need to add an external BEC.
Just one for steering. I'm sure I'll be fine. Thanks for the help. This motor/esc combo rocks my socks.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM