Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #901
Rock Stacker

Ugh. Novak Goat 3s frustration. First off, so many damn wires! The external BEC, the capacitor. I have everything hooked up correctly as per the Novak instructions, and have gone back over them many times to make sure all is fine. Steering is working fine after I reversed the radio, but throttle and reverse is not working. Throttle pulls don't do anything for the most part, and when it does do something, it just "chunks". Kind of like a cogging or something, but like I said, it doesn't do anything for the most part. I have gone through the programming sequence a few times, but nothing. Reverse does nothing at all, not even cogging. I have tried all the settings on my radio (DX3.0) but nothing has worked.

This is really bumming me out, because I had hopes for this system. Now, after being a previous Castle user, I am already considering selling the Goat and cutting my losses now. I may take it to my LHS and have them troubleshoot it first, but if that doesn't help, it is gone!
Chachi_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #902

i have the novack rooster crawler, had it for a year and a half never had a problem till to day. this is whats wrong with it all it has is reverse and when u give it forward throttle the moter chatters and the speed controler get hott and smells likre somthings burning.and the thing that pissing me off is that the one that i had before did the same thing so i dont know whats going on with ur product, i get ive never heard this happen to any one else . i dont abuse them they just brake would there be any way to get it rewarented because i just want to crawl thank you
Clod Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #903
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi_RC View Post
Ugh. Novak Goat 3s frustration. First off, so many damn wires! The external BEC, the capacitor. I have everything hooked up correctly as per the Novak instructions, and have gone back over them many times to make sure all is fine. Steering is working fine after I reversed the radio, but throttle and reverse is not working. Throttle pulls don't do anything for the most part, and when it does do something, it just "chunks". Kind of like a cogging or something, but like I said, it doesn't do anything for the most part. I have gone through the programming sequence a few times, but nothing. Reverse does nothing at all, not even cogging. I have tried all the settings on my radio (DX3.0) but nothing has worked.

This is really bumming me out, because I had hopes for this system. Now, after being a previous Castle user, I am already considering selling the Goat and cutting my losses now. I may take it to my LHS and have them troubleshoot it first, but if that doesn't help, it is gone!
Just an update....my Goat 3s is on it's way to Novak Central to get fix/checked out. Oh well. I guess it was toast right out of the box. Off to a good start! Woo Hoo!
Chachi_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #904
Rock Crawler

Hey Guys,

I've been fairly absent in the assisting of Novak's customers in this thread and as I go through it now, there is simply too much to address here. Your best bet is to email me directly and I'll see what we can get accomplished. Stuff that is obviously damaged will need to be sent to Novak, just use their customer service form on the website and I'm sure you'll be taken care of.

If you have operation issues, the main thing we always have a hard time with is the One Touch Setup. There seems to be a mis conception that you can simply plug this stuff and and "voila" it works. This is not the case at all. The ESC has a Setup procedure, or one time programing that must be done first, and must be done correctly.

Beyond that, I check emails nearly every day and try to answer with in two day when I'm all caught up.

csuangka@teamnovak.com

Thanks Guys, I look forward to some problem solving!

Oh, and no, even I don't know what causes electronics to mysteriously quit for no reason at all..... sorry.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #905
Rock Stacker

Are non-sensored non-novak's motors are compatible with GOAT 3s?
Bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #906
RCC Addict

Got a Novak 55T for my crawler a couple weeks ago, have only been able to take it out a few times but I have to say I love it, very smooth and powerful.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #907
baz

Default problems

hey all,
i just recieved my novak 3 cell crawler esc and motor combo.
its running a 1/10 rock scaler.
21.5 turn. 16t pinion
87t spur and 3 cell 2800mah 30c battery

My problem is ...
after an hour of running the truck loses throttle power and the esc flashes red and then amber 4 times each then i have no power.
i take a cell tester with me and trhe batteries were 4.02 each cell.
Motor was not hot to touch and esc has fan fitted.

Its not the lipo cut of like the programming sheet says. cause that should blink when it in programming mode,
I can find any help online/forums or the manual

any idea???
baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #908

ive had the same thing happen to me a couple of times. but went out last week and ran it for like three hours straight trail driving with a 2s 5000mah lipo and not a sigle hic up.
RUNNINONMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #909
Rock Stacker

ya know i was considering this esc on my novak 55. but after reading some of these pages im not so sure. can someone give it to me strait and tell me if i should invest into it?
LittleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #910

Default novak systems

I have been able to purchase all novak crawler systems to date. Have had my share of problems. Most prob. were understanding instructions. I have found most all systems are set up differently cc T ect. Really understand intructions do not over gear. I run a 13t pinion on 3s 21.5 I also use novak velocity heat sink huge diff. Fits LCC.
rcdruged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #911

Default m2dIG

After testing and frustration I narrowed down glitching prob. ccbec not compadable. must use novak bec. Stock motors may not fit well in some moa customs . They do make good power week drag brake compared to say rooster or goat. Lots of clod stall. Runing 3s no problems. Dose it hurt to run 100% drag brake vs say 50%? Dose it damage motor?
rcdruged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 AM   #912
Rock Stacker

Are Novak Ballistic crawler motors (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYNJ8&P=7) sealed?
Thinking about using it in my scx-10, need water-crossings without problems with motor's sensor.
If it's not sealed, is it possible to make it waterproof using silicone gasket?

Last edited by Bogger; 11-16-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #913
Quarry Creeper

Besides the fact that the Goat 3S can run a 3S battery, what is the difference between the Goat 3S and the Goat Crawler?
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #914
Rock Crawler

Bogger- Nope sorry.

Bacon- Good To Hear, Thanks for the Comments!

Baz- I think you emailed me on this, it was a bad plug if I remember correctly. you post and the email I got are very similar.

LittleDave- The internet is great, you can read about tons of problems, and a few positive things. Most times, you won't find guys taking the time to post their stuff works fine. Overall, the Rooster Crawler and Goat are fine products built in the USA and backed up in the USA.

RCD- Good post, thanks. Turn up the Dig Power, and the Drag/Hill Brake to 10, you'll have "Plenty" of stopping power that way..

Bogger- I've tried to seal up my BL stuff for watering, they'll take splashes okay if you run a bead around the whole end and seams, but forget about long term under water excursions, the water gets through the shaft side bearing. Greasing all that up will help, but the grease moves away slowly. Nothing beats brushed motors for watering.

53- Not really much difference beyond the colors and the 3S ratings.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #915

I had an issue recently with my goat 3s where it would work fine if I was holding the truck off of the ground but put it on the ground or flex the suspension at all and it would do nothing but steer, no power to the wheels. I finally figured out that one of the tiny wires in the sensor cable was pulling loose when the suspension would compress but would go back in enough to work when the truck is off the ground. I recommend if you are having problems check your sensor wires. I replaced the sensor cable and problem solved.
bigshoe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #916
RCC Addict

That is so true.

No one ever goes on the board to complain that their product works correctly.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #917

Unhappy

Oh man i loved my rooster crawler till today when i turned it on and the battery started squealing and smoke came out of the esc, barely a month old and never been wet and it died. Only used with the 55 turn that came with it as i bought it as a package deal, i hope i can get it warrantied, worked great until it randomly fried and melted the battery connectors together, had to use some pliers to get em apart Also it was only used in an Scx10 and a Highlift F350
Sean54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #918
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
I'm assuming you guys have set the servo reversing on throttle to normal, EPAs to 100%, and set the throttle sub-trim to 0, then set the throttle trim to 0 before programming...

...and have you checked to make sure that the motor timing is set to 0
degrees?
What does timing affect?
bmangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #919
Pebble Pounder

If I can run a ballistic motor and xcelorin motor with a mamba max pro can I run a xcelorin motor with a goat 3s?
Joe Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #920
Pebble Pounder

i have a goat 3s and im having the same problems everyone else is having goes forward when it wants is there a fix? does novak make anything that works ? i just had to send my bec back last week
flizz is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM